Klutzy68's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Klutzy68

Klutzy68's check-in

Post by Klutzy68 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:47 am

Hi, my name is Chris. I'm female, 66, 5'8", and weighed 223 on 9/17, BMI 33.9. I'll use that as my starting weight as I didn't think to weigh myself on day one, 9/22. Today is my third No S day. I do Shovelglove (with a broom) and walk my dog at least once a day. Monday was a success; Tuesday I was sick, slept all day, and ate nothing but a tiny bowl of cereal, with no exercise; and today I did No S and walking but exempted myself from shovelglove. I'll probably be up to that tomorrow. I had some twinges of hunger today between meals. Since my body was pretty out of whack I wasn't sure whether this was real hunger or cravings, but I decided to stick with the plan. I realized I could wait a couple of hours to eat and not die! I REALLY REALLY like this!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome Chris! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 am

Welcome! I look forward to reading more.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Welcome!

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for the welcomes! Yesterday I'm not sure about because right before dinner I had a beer. Normally this would be with dinner. Does this count as a fail? Is there a different term besides "fail"? Like I've read some others say, I don't like that term, way too loaded emotionally. Otherwise the day went well. After reading some of the decluttering thread, I finished a project that has been hanging over my head for more than six months. I was completely exhausted AND extremely happy and that led to the WTH beer. Re food, since I can't go back for seconds, I've been filling my plate with the same amount I used to eat. That's becoming too much, so my next goal is to start with a little less and stop when I'm pleasantly full. I did that at breakfast but not lunch and supper. But I appreciated actually noticing and not liking the discomfort instead of eating even more! I did Shovelglove and walked the dog, my two exercises. I already feel better and have more energy. I see a podiatrist today and am hoping to be cured of a foot problem that is preventing me from walking as far as I'd like to. Just that phrase, rather than "as far as I have to," is so good to be able to say! :D Today, Friday, will be an R&R S day, and Sunday will be my other S day. I can't see having two S's and a NWS all in a row, sounds like a slippery slope to me!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Great job with everything you got done yesterday! An S Day today is much deserved. As for the term fail, for me, I've gotten to the point where it's no big deal. One fail every now and then isn't going to de-rail me from NoS, and I have many more successful days now than I would without NoS. You could call them a red day instead.

Definitely being ok with not following the rules every now and then has helped me a lot with not binging after a fail and has helped with getting right back on track. NoS allows you to have fails, and it allows you breaks on S Days. We aren't ever going to be perfect, so not beating ourselves up over those times when we break the rules has been really critical for me to stay focused on NoS.

For the Vanilla NoS, I wouldn't consider a beer before dinner a red day. Green all the way for you, nice job!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 pm

A lot of ppl have a glass of wine or beer with dinner so don't sweat it. I think Reinhard himself has a glass ceiling for alcohol which means he allows himself no more than 2 drinks/day ever. You can read more about it here:
http://everydaysystems.com/glassceiling/

You're doing great. Keep up the good work!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 am

Thank you aspencer27 and lpearlmom for your encouragement and for answering my questions! I won't worry about the drink before dinner. Friday, an S day, went fine until after supper, when I binged pretty much all night until bedtime. I may have enjoyed it less, but "enjoy" is not what I do during binges anyway. This time I was more conscious and maybe even more forgiving. I only briefly toyed with the idea of giving up No S and felt good about getting back to N. Saturday went just fine, including an unexpected invite to a friend's for supper. There was no fruit or veg with the meal and I feel much better if I include at least one and preferably both of those at each. Went home about an hour later and ate some fruit, which I considered part of my plateful. From what I've read so far in the book, that seems to be OK?

I'm surprised by how fast my portions are finding their own natural, smaller level. I expected that to take weeks, not days. This whole program keeps getting better, not worse, and is helping me in unexpected areas. It's very livable!

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:51 pm

So here i am with TWO failed N days in a row! Ugh. I'm OK until after supper. The last two nights I had a definite WTF attitude and the "But I WANT it! :twisted: " me was loud and vicious. I also did no walking yesterday; I'm supposed to walk my dog at least once, preferably twice. On the plus side I did SG and took all three installments of my vitamins; I have all this stuff on my Habitcal.

I can be extremely lazy and then punish myself or get the "I'm such an idiot I'm not worth the trouble" attitude. The latter seems to be what happened, as I accomplished none of the many things I have to do on my neverending list. I've been listening to the podcasts and trying to figure out how to integrate his programs into my to-do lists. There is the regular daily stuff plus trying to get ready for a trip in about two weeks, and I get easily overwhelmed and discouraged. I will try to find some colored file cards today and see if that helps.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 pm

It might help to walk the dog straight after dinner? This way you're away from temptation and your dog gets his/her walk :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks for the tip, eschano! And for being there...these boards get a little lonely at times! Right now I like to do it in the morning, when I can go at my own pace; I'm building up my speed and distance, hoping to be up to a fairly comfortable two miles by around the 15th. BUT if I can add the evening walk too, with my FH who walks kind of slow, that would be a real plus. The dog is ready before supper and I usually stay in and cook, but we'll see what we can do.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

For my overwhelming list of to-dos, I have been trying to focus on micro-resolutions for things that I hate and usually put off. For example, on decluttering <<shudder>> on weeknights, I only need to clear my two hotspots - the dining room table and the desk. Keeping up with these daily makes it quick and easy. Usually when I get started I'll do some other things, but sometimes I don't do anything else because I don't have to. It gets me further ahead than doing nothing at all.

Good luck on getting to 2 miles on your walk. You can do it!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:18 am

Hmmm, if the dog has already another routine - the only other tip I have is to establish a night-time ritual.

I used to have a terrible time at night post-dinner. Now I even have sweets in my cupboard and don't touch them. The only reason is: I have a drink post dinner. Sometimes it's a decadent milky tea (like Yogi Tea Chocolate Tea or Chai), which I drink unsweetened but all the spices help, sometimes it's a normal herbal tea, sometimes a glass of wine (max. two).

It helps enormously. Gives my taste buds something to do but also calms me and signals that food is done.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Thank you all for your tips and encouragement! Yesterday was a successful day. I had some cravings but was able to calm them in part by walking (3 yesterday!), in part by prepping food (I really like to be around food :oops: ), part with an evening drink (something I often do already), and part listening to the podcasts. For anyone who has not listened to them I HIGHLY recommend doing so! It's amazing to me that someone who has no experience with compulsive eating has come up with the only viable solution I have seen in several decades of searching. The only other success I ever had was with OA, but the restrictions eventually became too much and after over a year I succumbed to eating sugar again. I wondered whether I'd have to attempt sugarless again, but after listening to podcast #34, S-days Gone Wild, I am now planning to go to a bakery on Sunday and buy a piece of the fabulous cake I've been eyeing for over a year. Reminding myself of that helped me get past the cravings. I also can see that part of the problem is simply the *habit* I've developed of eating in the evening. I can replace that habit with a non-eating one!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Enjoy your bakery treat! Have a wonderful weekend.

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:33 am

I don't know if this will help, but years ago, I read the story of a woman's weight loss success. she had been a nanny, and her turning point came when she overheard her boss convince his son to not eat an extra treat by reminding him that this wasn't his last and only time to enjoy it. Sometimes reminding myself I can have it later helps.

That said, I always remember the Erma Bombeck joke: “Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.â€

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 am

Hi everybody! I truly thank you for your advice and support. I again binged on Friday night. I wonder whether 5 straight days might be too much for me and I'd be better off splitting the S days. I think I'll try that next week. Yesterday I enjoyed my treats and didn't go too crazy...just a little. :roll:

I walked 1.75 miles Thursday! I could have gone farther except for this damn foot. Also I've progressed to a 5 lb shovel for SG, which amazes me. I feel much stronger than when I started the program; everything is easier and I have much more stamina. It's hard to believe I've come so far in only two weeks! I rested the foot Fri and just a short walk Sat, and yesterday no walk or SG either. Suddenly I am missing exercise! :shock: I did a lot of housework instead, not stopping to rest every 5 minutes and not burning out before I finished.:shock: :shock: Also the accountant called to say he :Dfinished the taxes:D, I booked a room for the first leg of my trip, and I talked with my daughter on her 40th birthday and she is really happy with her fiance and her life now. She even got a new job she likes (been unemployed for over a year). Life is improving by leaps and bounds!! :lol:

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:06 am

Wow, amazing news all-year round.

So Friday nights didn't work for me so I do vanilla NoS with one exception: I start them on Friday nights. For me Friday night is the weekend, it's when the relaxation starts. As I also go to a dance class on Friday I don't have too much time to mess things up but one well-planned dessert makes a big difference for me. Just a thought.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:25 pm

I've seen mention of that method, eschano. Do you switch back Sunday night or Monday morning?

I had a good amount of sweets on the weekend, starting with Saturday breakfast. My planned Sunday treat was a no-go, the bakery was out and I didn't want any other available flavor. Just that right there: I left the bakery empty-handed and not upset! Got something different at the store and enjoyed it. No bingeing all weekend, which was such a joy; I followed the rule to indulge myself and it worked! This morning I had no cravings for sweets and have eaten well today. That's pretty unheard of after spending even one day eating sugar; previously I was climbing the walls for more. Not only have I had no cravings, but now I'm putting off dinner because I'm not very hungry. I feel like maybe I'm starting to develop a normal relationship with food! :mrgreen:

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 am

Well done, sounds like a great weekend! You've made a very strong start.

I don't know how eschano structures her weekend, but I think in principle, the S weekend is meant to be two "eating" days. So, if you start Fri night, you should really finish after Sunday lunch - i.e. back to normal for Sunday afternoon and dinner.

The other thing I've read here was from a long term poster (vmsurbat) who takes her S days on Fridays and Sundays, with Saturdays as N days. This wouldn't work for me, just because of the frequency that family and friends schedule their parties and special events on Saturdays, but it suited her routine.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Klutzy,

A good relationship with food is probably the biggest benefit I got through NoS as it lead to a great relationship with myself and how I think about my body so well done you for this weekend! I would have been upset about that treat ha!

I recommend what ironchef said, although personally my S days go Friday sundown to Sunday bed time. Friday never really worked for me and I ended up eating lots so now I have one planned treat and it works wonders. No doubt, I would weigh less if I didn't have Fridays (that's like -250 to 500 calories per week right) but it's not worth it for me and as I am in a normal range I'm happy. Figure out what works for you. I did have S days Sat and Sun only for a year before I started this so it's worth giving it a proper go first.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016