Swuddly's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bean&Sprout

Swuddly's Check-In

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Day 1, 2: Success
Day 3, 4: Exempt (Weekend)
Day 4, 5: Success
Day 6: Success. I posted a question about handling soup for dinner. My worries proved to be pointless. After my salad and bread, I only had room for half of my soup. So much for wanting a larger bowl. :)

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:58 pm

What a great first week - keep up the momentum! Welcome!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks! I'm really enjoying this experience. The community seems like a nice, supportive, and civil group, too. All the better.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Day 7: Success. There was a big potluck at work, and I did really well. One paper plate, with no sweets. Also, no post- or pre- snacking. It was nice to not feel grossly full.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:52 am

Day 8: Success. I was surprised to find my appetite at meals starting to drop. For lunch, I couldn't finish what I'd packed. :)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Keep up the good work!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Days 9 &10: Exempt (S-days). It was a nice weekend. A bit of snacking, nothing over-the-top, though. I'm a bit disappointed that I never really got a sweet in. We went to a birthday party, and I was all geared up for cake and ice cream. Our sweet 9 month old decided she was done with the party, though, so we left before dessert. I'll have three S-days in a row next weekend (wedding anniversary on Monday), so I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze ice cream in at least once. ;)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Day 11: Success. I learned today that what looks like a reasonable plate full on my ceramic dinner plates, looks more than ridiculous on a cheap-o paper plate. I still ate my lunch, as I knew it fit on my plate at home, but I was glad no one was eating with me. ;) So, I've packed a bit smaller lunch today, and I'll see if it looks a bit more reasonable on the paper plate at work.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Great job! I know that some of my plates have been a little ridiculous, too. I like the idea of reducing just a little bit - I think I'll try that starting today, too. Good luck!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Thank you, Aspencer and Snapdragon.

Don't be too impressed, Aspencer. I'm only trimming lunch by the tiniest bit. I'm afraid that if I get too hungry, I'll chuck 11 days on habit out the window for an afternoon string cheese.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Ha! Every little bit counts. Don't downplay all of the success you've been having - you're doing great, keep it up!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Day 12: Success. Yesterday's lunch went exceptionally well. I put my planned lunch on the plate, and it still looked way too full (despite the reduction from the day before). So, I put half of my snacky stuff (popcorn) back into the bag, and by the end of lunch, I still had some other food left that I just didn't want to finish. I gave the popcorn to my coworker, and saved the carrots for today.

More important than this little bit of trimming at lunch, was that I didn't even consider having the treat my coworker brought in as a surprise. It was savory, so if she'd come in earlier, I could have replaced part of my lunch with it. But, she didn't. It clearly would have been a snack, so I didn't partake, and didn't feel too badly about it.

I didn't put enough supper on my plate, and I wasn't looking forward to going to bed hungry. I had a glass of milk, and it filled in the cracks enough to let me rest well. I haven't had a glass of milk in ages and ages--I've spent so much of my adult life not "drinking my calories." It felt almost decadent.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Sounds like a lovely day and I like your milk "decadence".
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Day 13-14: Success. Somehow I managed to miscount my days. So, I've had all greens and yellows, but yesterday was day 14, not 13. :)

Nothing exciting to report from yesterday, except that my lunch looked entirely normal on my plate. Not stuffed, not nearly architectural in its dimensions, just appropriately filled.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Great job! 14 days in a row, is fantastic, keep it up!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Day 15: Success

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Swuddly, congratulations on your string of successes! I'm particularly impressed with how you dealt with the work challenges of offered treats and the dreaded potluck :shock: !! You're a few days ahead of me and it's interesting to see how things are changing for you day by day.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Thanks, Klutzy!

For potlucks and parties, I always volunteer to make something I like, so I know, for sure, that there will be something I can have. I do this no matter what diet-du-jour I'm following (vegan, Weight Watchers, low carb, you name it). It was nice to make a dish for this potluck that was just tasty (and not a sweet). It was such freedom.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 am

Great idea to bring what you like - funnily I just commented on someone else's thread about that.

And well done! Enjoy the freedom.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Day 16: Success
Day 17: S-Day
Day 18: S-Day
Day 19: S-Day (Wedding Anniversary).

A very nice weekend, all told. I'm happy to be back to N-days, though.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 am

Happy wedding anniversary :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks, eschano. :)

Day 20: Success (with an S-event--my best friend at work's birthday celebration. I stuck to my 3-plates-a-day, and had dessert to celebrate). On to plain, old N-day today (thank goodness!).

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Day 21: Success. :) Another birthday celebration at work, but I didn't have any of the treat. It felt good to be back to a plain old N-day.

Now that I've got 21 days on habit, I'm planning to check in here less frequently. I'm sort of triple checking in--HabitCal, monthly challenge, and here. I'll keep up the other two, and pop in here from time to time.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm

This Saturday marked a full month for me. I've stayed on plan, though it was a month with many more S days than would be normal (anniversary, birthday celebrations, and travelling). I haven't had a red day, yet, but my green days were full of big portions. Most of my S days were okay, but there were some crazy days in there, too.

This month, I'm going to work on making my portions smaller. I'm going to start with breakfast and lunch, and will tackle dinner when I've gotten comfortable with more moderate breakfasts and lunches.

At some point, I want (need) to add some exercise in, but I'm just not ready yet. I think I might be ready by November. We shall see.

halfmoon_mollie

Post by halfmoon_mollie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

I've got the exercise part in...but I've been doing that anyway.

Good for you. I haven't gotten to the smaller portions part, I need to incorporate more veggies and fruits.

Go you!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:30 am

Great job on the month!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Fail. I did fine, until just before dinner. No sweets, but snacks and seconds. I think I trimmed my breakfast and lunch a little too much. Back to day one for me.

This was my first fail, and...it's okay. I'm back on track. I failed. I'm not a failure. I was beating myself up a bit last night (and early this morning), but I stopped myself. What's the point of this self-flagellation, anyway? Historically, it's just driven me in to the arms of some sort of junky food. Not productive. What's done is done, and today is a new day.

My plan for today? Three plates. No seconds. No snacks. No sweets.

halfmoon_mollie

Post by halfmoon_mollie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:33 pm

*cheers*

:idea:

what's done is done. You can't go back and undo it, so the best thing to do is...what you've done. go forward.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks, Mollie. :)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Oh, my. The last few days have been rough. Tuesday was a catastrophic systems failure. Can one even have seconds, when there's no pause in eating? Yick.

I'm nearly two months in, and as of this morning, I'm up 8 pounds. Not ideal. Looking at my habitcal, I can see that the main issue is not fails (despite Tuesday's CSF, I've only had four fails, and most of them were very minor). The biggest issue for October was too, too many NWS days, and very little restraint exercised on those days. And, perhaps too many carbohydrate-rich foods, in general. I'm going to tackle excessive S and NWS days, and see where that leads me.

I'm not particularly discouraged. I'm mostly just determined to do better in November, starting with today. So, there's that. As a benefit to this weight gain, I'm wearing my wedding band and engagement ring for the first time in several months. The cheapo placeholder wedding band I bought became too snug. I look forward to having that fit again, perhaps by the end of the month, but in the meantime, it's nice to wear my pretty set again.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Yesterday was much, much better. It was a hard-fought success, but it was, indeed, a success. Whew!

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 pm

I had a very nice, mellow weekend. No compulsive eating behaviors, nothing over the top. I'm feeling much, much better.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I am not doing well this month. I've been all over the place emotionally. I'm going to keep plugging away. My church is beginning a lenten period on Saturday, and I'm hopeful that having those guidelines to follow will help as added reinforcement.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:51 am

Sorry to hear that it's not going smoothly. Hang in there - it is not supposed to be linear. I have amazing months and horrendous months but all in all I am now between 11 and 15 kg less consistently then before NoS (healthy BMI range now). So just keep on doing it and it will come.

Concentrate meal on meal.
Figure out how to fill your life with things you love - activities you love that give you motivation and peace.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Thank you, Eschano, for the encouragement. I'm going to keep plugging away. My weekend eating was very tame, and I've got a good plan for today.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Success, finally! :)

Also, a microwaved baked potato with a bit of garlic sauce and a salad is a lovely, warm, filling winter lunch. Super easy to do at work, especially because our microwave has a setting just for spuds. :)