Toblincmom's No-S Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobiasmom

Toblincmom's No-S Journey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Hey, All! It's been a good six months or so since I've been on these boards. I've actually been following "another" plan. It's worked. I give it that. I'm down to my lowest in years, 188! I'm down 25 pounds, BUT I'm tired. I'm tired of thinking all the darn time. It's made me rather obsessive, actually. It's not ALL bad. There's some really great things about it, but I've lapsed into MAJOR diet head!

So I've decided that even though it is "working", I need to take a step back now and go back to a much more moderate style of eating - a lifestyle that doesn't make me a grumpy judgmental food-obsessed person! I'm not gonna lie... it's scary! I'm scared of failing again. This is the first time in years I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I haven't been successful at No-S much in the past, but that's because until now I've never really STUCK to a plan for longer than a few weeks or so. I know No-S works.....WHEN you stick to it.

I'm committed to my health. But I'm also committed to a lifestyle I can manage!! So here I am, Everybody! I'm restarting my journal so that I can manage my feelings and thoughts here.
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Welcome back!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Welcome back! I think the two biggest things that have helped me maintain with NoS is (1) being kind to myself and (2) focusing on what I really want.

For being kind to myself - the key for me is to not focus on my fails, just mark them and move on. I focus on what I can do right now - if I'm between meals, no snacks; if I'm eating a meal, no seconds or sweets. This keeps me from giving in to the WTH effect and ruining the whole day if I have a fail.

For focusing on what I really want, I'm just starting with this one. I want to feel better and make sure I get my proper nutrients, not be obsessed over food, and enjoy meals. Instead of telling myself that I *have* to have a salad every day, I tell myself that I want to have a salad for lunch today, so I don't feel sluggish after lunch and I'll get a lot of yummy veggies. It has worked pretty well so far.

I'm sure other people will have a lot of other suggestions, too. But for now, just focus on being kind to yourself - you can do this!

MsJ

Post by MsJ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:06 am

Hi!

I am just starting so I don't have any advice. I do want to encourage you, though. I know how it feels to think about food and dieting ALL DAY LONG! It is exhausting. I wish you much success.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 am

Good to see you back again!

Just take a rest from losing and concentrate on maintenance.

Sometimes you just need a break from losing, both physically and psychologically!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:16 am

Hi there! Congrats on your weight loss! I too went back to ww. :oops: I only lasted about three weeks though. I am down 9 pounds durimg that time. Along with the losing of weight though comes the losing of my LIFE and my MIND!! There is just no way, no how that I can keep that up long term. So, I too, am back here! My family is all big on ww, so the pull is always there. We have a long history here. In order for no s to work, I have to actually DO IT. Good luck to you with letting go of diet head! I did not stay with it long enough for that to be a true problem yet, but I could certainly see myself heading in that direction!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:40 pm

i admire anyone who stick to weight watchers for any length of time. i always thought it sounded like a reasonable and sustainable plan, but the points and figuring and calorie counting always did me in quickly. I either got overwhelmed and started "estimating" or got obsessed with calculating with led to too strict restrictions. the same thing happened to me on My Fitness Pall

tobiasmom

not yet started

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 am

So.... it has been a week, and I never got started. I stuck w my other plan out of fear (Trim Healthy Mama).... fear that I would lose control. But guess what happened?? it came to a head again today and I just blew it. The dieting pressure is too much! This is life.... and there's so much more to worry about than what fuels I'm combining and different sugar subs, etc. Yikes!!! It definitely works.... but I can't imagine it for LIFE.......

So I'm back to my journal.... and I'm planning to stick to three meals tomorrow (already had dinner tonight).
No-S restart 01/08/23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Good for you! I think there is a happy medium. I was always Vanilla No S and lost a lot of weight on vanilla....but not all of it. I have been using a fitness app the last 5 months, and it has been helpful. I am the consumate "anti-tracker" so I cannot believe I have stuck with it. It gives me concrete nutritional information that helps me see where I am lacking (protein) or overdoing it (salt, carbs, etc). It is a tool that moderates my behavior with the knowledge. I make better choices. I do not restrict myself to certain calorie counts each day, but I can see by the tracker that my calorie count has gradually gone down with some better food choices. And the rest of the weight is coming off.
Maintenance is progress.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 am

Just checking in to say Hey! How's it going? I'm digging in my heels and really trying to get some green under my belt! Have a good day!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Me too, Girl! Today is day 1 for me.... again! I am committing to this 100% now.... no diet hopping for a year! I am sick of quitting. I am sick of diets I can't stick with in the long haul. I need No-S freedom!

So let's do this!!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:40 am

Hang in there! I am also back to Vanilla No S. I have quit using the fitness app. It served it's purpose, but in the end it is not something I ever intended to use forever. I am hoping that the increased nutritional knowledge from doing the app for 6 months will help me to continue to make good food choices.
Maintenance is progress.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 am

Yay! Let's do this! We are on the same page at the same time. I restarted on 12/1. Yes....one year...one day at a time. Let's stay green today! We got this! GO :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi there tobiasmum. Just dropped in to see how you're going. Hang in there. I'm on fresh start too. We can do this. I've had a bit of a false start. But I shall keep going and keeping you company :)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 am

Great to hear from you all. We ARE in this together. I did have sort of a false start myself last week because it was my 15-year wedding anniversary Thursday. We went away without kids and kinda got out of control with delicious food. So I had like four S days in a row.... ugh! But it was a wonderful time, and I am ready for a sane GREEN WEEK, starting with ONE green day tomorrow! My head is my biggest challenge for sure. But I've also just started a bible study, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World".... I'm hopeful it will carry over to all areas of my life 😊
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:42 am

Happy Anniversary!!!! So happy you were able to get away with hubby. Yay! Hope yesterday went well for you. Happy Tuesday!

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:53 pm

How is your week going?

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Monday...red. Tuesday....green. Wednesday....green. thursday....red. Ugh! I'm 2 and 2. Got stressed on my way to the airport today and totally grabbed fast good w a soda and cookies. ugh! We are having a major rainstorm/flooding in the Bay Area where my friend just so happens to be flying in! Driving in times like this gives me severe anxiety...and I didn't handle it well. Waiting for her to land and then heading back home in the storm. I will feel so much better when this drive is over!!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Thinking of you and saying a prayer! Stay safe!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Made it home safe from the airport. Wowza! That was rough! I did finish out the day strong with a good dinner. This morning I had a nice veggie egg scramble and my coffee. Getting ready to head to the Monterey Aquarium. That should be a nice day of walking! A good flank steak with roasted cauliflower and a blue cheese walnut salad with citrus vinaigrette for dinner! Not sure about lunch yet. I find planning out my meals in the morning makes me more successful!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

monday

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Still haven't really had a green day.... but I AM trying! Today I went back to the airport in the rain AGAIN.... and had some cookies when I got home. Going to try really hard to make it to dinnertime and just move on. I know this is the most sane way to get through the holidays. Gotta dig in mentally!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Saturday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Still struggling. Haven't made it though a green day yet. Really want to try for 21 days. I know if I get that many days under my belt the habit will continue. But for now....1 day is the goal!! Today is an S day. Shooting for 3 meals with one good treat. I am out of town with family for the holidays... so I plan to be mindful and really enjoy myself.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:07 am

A green day finally!!!

B: one egg, sourdough toast w butter, grapes, sausage, black coffee
L: beef stroganoff, tangerine
D: Cobb veggie burger, fries, unsweetened tea
Chai tea
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:32 am

Today was a fail, but I almost should have taken it as an S day. We spent the whole day at Disneyland. I had 3 meals... But I had a soda and my favorite English toffee! Note for next time: I definitely could have bought the toffee I love and saved it for an S day. Learning as I go! Onward. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and it's an N day for me. No plans to have treats tomorrow....
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Weekend

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:58 am

I had ONE green day last week! Yikes! I'm shooting for a much much better week this week! I'm bloated and overstuffed and just ready to commit fully to moderate eating!! NOW!!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

New Year

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, I had a bit too much holiday fun.... and of course my weight is waaay up! I actually put on more than 10 pounds in record time. I'm sick of dieting. Seriously! I'm just soooo tired of trying and trying and going right back to where I am now! Moderation has got to be the key. I have said over and over I would stick to No-S for a year and then re-evaluate..... yet I haven't stuck to it more than a day! Haha! So it's the new year.... and I'm ready for a new me. A new me that doesn't hop to the next big diet. A new me that is happy with slow weight loss..... but a loss that's consistent instead of up and down, up and down constantly! Craziness!!! I just don't have the mental willpower to keep doing the points or calories or carbohydrates thing.

3 meals. No snacks, sweets, or seconds.... except on Saturdays and Sundays, PERIOD. Headed to the grocery store now... for some REAL good old-fashioned regular food :)
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

holiday gain

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:49 pm

So..... the holidays were not good to me..... or shall I say I was not good to the holidays 😉. Up about 12 pounds or so.
Last edited by tobiasmom on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:45 am

Hope you have a great start!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

Ok. I too struggled through the holidays and continue to struggle to get back on track. Arrrgh! I keep saying that today is THE day and then put things off until tomorrow. And, of course tomorrow never comes!! Woke up to a very unexpected snow day. (I work at a school). My first thought was that it will be too difficult to begin again on a snow day when I am home all day around food. :/ Then I hopped on here and saw your post. Let's do this thing together. One year....one day at a time....beginning today. First goal 21 days.
GO :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm

I am in, Girl! We practically have the same start weight! We are going to do this!!!

I am focusing purely on three meals with no snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Nothing else. No trying to eat especially healthy or perfect. I will deal with the nutrition aspect of my plates once I get 21 days of the basics down. I feel I always mess up because I try to do it perfectly with the right breakdown of nutrients and such. This morning I ate a chunk of French bread with peanut butter and a 1/2 a muffin in a mug made with almond flour that tasted disgusting (hence the French bread add-on) and I will never make it again! ha. No veggies. No fruit. Processed. BUT it was one plate. And I'm waiting til lunch for my next plate of who knows what! :)
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 am

Hope today went well for you!! YES...we are going to do this once and for all....one day at a time! My new motto. JUST DO IT!!

ONWARD!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

so...

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 am

So..... day 1 was NOT green. Ugh! I have NO excuses. I ate this afternoon during homeschooling. It's a bad habit I've created to get through the afternoon slump. I way overdid it. But the good news is that I ate one plate at dinner and didn't have anything this whole evening... even though I'd like dessert or something else for sure! One tiny step at a time. I also took a walk today with the kids. Tomorrow has to just be better than today. Three meals tomorrow. I need a green!!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Re: hey

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 am

tobiasmom wrote: I feel I always mess up because I try to do it perfectly with the right breakdown of nutrients and such.
This is so true! I think at times when I have a green phase it is mainly because I'm quite relaxed about things like this. So one day could be fairly unhealthy one plates and because I satisfied that urge I might have 4 healthy ones to follow by accident. Sometimes the less healthy are the majority. Either way, I'm so much healthier than pre-NoS!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:05 am

Bravo to you for not wrecking the car!! You got right back on track in the evening. Whoo hoo!
ONWARD :D

Diets Don't Work.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 am

Hi there. I'm back too. Just like you committed to one year vanilla. Let's do it. You've done brilliantly in the past. I know you can do it. I'm rooting for you. Onwards :-)

tobiasmom

day 2

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:22 am

Another RED day. I've gotta do something about my afternoon slump during homeschooling! A cup of something maybe?? Maybe a nice tea would work. I'm doing good with the three meals. It is the afternoons and then my sweet tooth at night that's getting me. I think I just need to put a real "fence around the law" for a few weeks to get the habit down. I am not feeling great emotionally either. I have been down a lot this week for some reason. Trying to climb my way out of that self pity pit..... yoga tomorrow for sure! No excuses. No more eating my emotions! Waaaaay easier said than done.
No-S restart 01/08/23

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 am

Hang in there you can do this. Afternoon slumps are soooo hard to deal with. You are right a nice cuppa tea might do it. But sit down with it and focus on enjoying it. That helps me. Hope your spirits lift soon :D

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

Whew! the afternoons are hard for me too!

I find on days that I am really pooped a mug of warm milk & cinnamon works wonders! It feels like a real treat and it fills me up!

You are doing so well with the meals and you can beat this afternoon blah!

Good luck with your yoga! I have committed to 6 weeks exercise challenge for myself and I can feel the difference after 1 1/2 weeks. I am definitely coping better and I have more energy!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:52 am

For me too - the milkier the better on tough days. As for the sweet tooth: if I really can't help it I allow myself grapes after dinner and don't count that as red.

I always have some ripe grapes in the fridge. The darker the grapes the sweeter and it does help me.

I also find that if I get through the first half an hour of a craving it usually subsides. I often go and take a bath and the warm water stimulates my skin and I forget about craving anything. Just a thought.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 pm

The afternoon slump is a hard one to get past but I'm sure you will figure it out.

How old are your kids? Are you able to leave them alone while you go for a walk or otherwise remove yourself from temptation? If they are young, you can always add a daily walk to their schedule as well add yours. If you can't get out of the house, maybe a shower or bath or just time in your own space -away from food sources- to help you rejuvenate. Yoga, stretching, meditation are all great ideas that will give you energy but are non-food compatible. Something warm and comforting (such as tea or milk) might help but be careful it isn't something you would normally have with a sweet. :?

I finally overcame the afternoon slump by scheduling my exercise at that time and telling myself a million times that it takes 40 days to actually starve and dinner was scheduled waaaaaay before that!!!!

Good luck

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Yes, the afternoon slump is hard. I find that a cup of coffee with some creamer, and taking a few minutes to sit and relax really help me. During this time, my 3 year old is napping, and my 7 year old is still at school. As for evening sweets cravings, I did have to put a fence around the law. If I get a craving, I remind myself that I feel so much better when I don't eat sweets after dinner. I have replaced the evening sweets with a cup of tea, and some TV time.
Good luck! You can do it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:16 am

If I may say something, I'll share an idea that I would think at moments of temptation when I first started. But first, when I started, I had gotten very clear that if I didn't absolutely surrender to No S or something like it, I was likely going to overeat for the rest of my life. I couldn't hide from it anymore. This made me realize I had to be tougher BEFORE I ate. Not mean or hateful; just tougher.

So when I started to feel those feelings and have those thoughts to eat, I would say to myself, THIS is the moment. THIS is the moment I have to say no. I have to just grit my teeth and tolerate these urges, these thoughts that I can't stand to wait to eat. I HAVE to because if I give in, I will keep making this habit stronger. When I was having those feelings--in the afternoon like many of us- it was often two hours until dinner. I just kept telling myself, I CAN get through two hours. I am a grownup and a grownup can wait to eat for two hours, especially when I often wasn't actually hungry! It would often feel SO uncomfortable, but honestly, it was not as bad as the feeling of resenting being in the clutches of food. But I couldn't find that out until I had evidence to compare!

Keep telling yourself that it's WORTH it to bear the pain so that you can have the experiences to look back on and get strength from. Think about what it will be like in a year to have lived through this and won. You KNOW the alternatives are not acceptable. THIS is your best bet. Embrace it! Have faith that it will take you where you need.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm

How's it going Tobi? (is it ok if I call you that? :wink: )

Oolala...such great advice! Thanks so much for staying here and sharing! I am trying to tell myself that every time I resist I am making my resisting muscle stronger and my giving in muscle weaker!

WE CAN DO THIS!!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Friday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:35 pm

I did a bit better yesterday... but still not a green. Now for two hopefully sane S days and on to a much brighter week next week.

ZippaDee: You are doing awesome! I am in this with you, though!!! I'm just a slow starter :)

oolala53: You are such a wealth of knowledge. Thank YOU! I exactly get what you're saying. I need to give myself some tough love. I do perpetuate the wrong habit every single time I give in. I will NOT starve. I will NOT die from lack of sugar...hahahaha!!! Quite the opposite. Each day will produce the right habit. The alternatives are NOT acceptable.

clarinetgal: A cup of tea and TV time sounds like a great reward!

gingerpie: The kids are 2 and 7.....but I do have a gym with childcare. I take yoga classes there, and WHEN I go it is wonderful. I just get busy and don't make it a priority all the time. It is much needed for my anxiety and a time "alone"! :). I think I might start stretching my lunchtime to a little later so that I can have a meal then. So maybe coffee in the morning and wait to eat breakfast til 9 or 10.....so that I can eat my lunch later. We will see!

eschano: Getting out of the kitchen, maybe a bath, is a really great idea!

Merrykat: Exercise is so great for the body AND mind!
No-S restart 01/08/23

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi there. Here's wishing you two very very sane S days. You can do this. I am so sure that we can all travel this road together. I know you say you are a slow starter but you are really thinking this through and you know where you are heading. So baby steps will get you there just as surely as leaps and bounds. :D

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:05 am

Day 1 of 21: S DAY
SW: 203.4

B: two slices sprouted toast topped with natural pb and 1/2 banana, strawberries, coffee with cream
L: salami and provolone with pesto and roasted red bell peppers on 1/2 slice French bread, a few olives, pretzels, blueberries
D: chicken picatta, roasted baby potatoes, broccoli
S: carb smart ice cream topped with maple and cinnamon sugar

Exercise: 40-minute family walk

Started my 21 day challenge today! So happy to report three sane one-plate meals with one dessert! I know I CAN do this!
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:36 am

Day 2 of 21: GREEN!

B: homemade blueberry muffin, ff plain Greek yogurt topped with a little honey and pecans, one egg, coffee with cream
L: bowl of chili topped with onions, cheese, and sour cream; Ritz crackers
D: chicken, homemade mac and cheese, breadsticks
(small glass of red wine this evening)
Last edited by tobiasmom on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
No-S restart 01/08/23

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:57 am

Hooray!!!! Well done you, a strong start to your 21 day challenge 😀

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 am

Well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 am

Hip Hip HOORAY!!! You've got this girl! :D

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 am

Day 3 of 21: Green!

B: chocolate chip cookie dough baked oatmeal, coffee w cream
L: salami and provolone wrap,carrots, olives, 1/2 Apple w peanut butter
D: pesto chicken, roasted potatoes, green beans, and radishes
(oolong tea w a tsp raw honey while watching tennis this evening)
No-S restart 01/08/23

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 am

Brilliant. Keep it up. You can do this :D

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 am

You are doing AWESOME!! Yay!! We've got this one day at a time! :D

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:23 am

Day 4 of 21: Green!

B: pesto and feta topped veggie scramble, homemade sourdough toast with butter, coffee with cream
L: carne Asada taco, cheese enchilada, rice and beans, unsweetened iced tea
D: two chicken little sandwiches with mashed potatoes (KFC)
(coffee w cream in the afternoon and tea in the evening)

Very happy with my eating day. Despite eating out TWICE today, I was able to stay away from soda and huge portions!! I call that a huge win. I will be happy to have homecooked meals again tomorrow, though! Much prefer it.

I also need to get some exercise in. Haven't done much the past few days. Busy busy day today. I was barely home (Hence the two meals eating out).
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 am

Well done! I'm eating out twice today too so hopefully it will all work out :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Tobiasmom. I just wanted to say hi. I am brand new to the site and grateful to be here. I just want to send you a big hug. I relate to that desperate feeling you have in just trying to get to the three meals a day. I don't want to sound presumptuous or that I know it all, because believe me I don't! My feelings in relating to you are from years and years of bulimia. I'm not saying you are bulimic, i just identify with the feelings you seem to be having. I hope I can remind you, with great respect, that you just came off a diet. I got to the point that I could not not diet for even a day without major diet head which took me weeks to get control of. I never really got "control" just more sane as time went on. I wish I had No S then because, as I see it, No S brings sanity back in your life. Reinhart helps the casual dieter but he also helps the person who has years of insane dieting head. I wonder if he realizes this? Sometimes I have thought No S is divine wisdom. How does this guy even know this stuff? Truly amazing, and what a gift to us who have suffered so. Anyway, this is really long, sorry, but I was thinking about you and wondering if maybe you just gave yourself permission to just eat what ever you want and how much you want 3x a day, would that help to carry you until your next meal to help you from snacking? That would be a huge step and I think cause you to feel somewhat in control again. Then after that you could maybe move onto eating just the plateful. I know it's scary, but it may give you the success you need to go to the next step. I had to start there and not worry about anything else. For years I would eat only a small amount, fruit or something and yogurt and expect to make through only to eat because it would not sustain me. I was scared to eat "meals" because of weight gain, but ended up binging because I didn't do it perfect by sticking to the meals. And so it goes, this insane mind set!! I think you are actually doing well considering you just came off WW. I hope I didn't overstep the boundaries here but I really do feel for you and am wishing you some success to get you back on the road to recovery from the diet world.
Always learning.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:33 pm

4 days in to a 21 day challenge and you are really kicking it. Well done :-) I am following in your footsteps. We can do this :-)

tobiasmom

thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:11 am

Day 5 of 21: Green!

B: cream cheese and strawberry jelly filled sourdough crêpes topped with strawberries and pecans, coffee with cream
L: Panera: 1\2 turkey BLT, broccoli cheddar soup, small baguette, unsweetened tea
D: rotisserie chicken w mashed potatoes and French bread w butter (double starch 😊)

Feeling excellent! I am really just eating exactly what I want.... as long as it isn't dessert or full of sugar. Everything tastes so darn good. I am even getting somewhat used to not snacking. Amazing!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

Lookin' very nice in green my girl! :mrgreen:
WHOO HOO!!!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Friday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:26 am

Day 6 of 21: S DAY

B: brownie batter overnight oats with a scoop of peanut butter, coffee with cream
L: salami and provolone on sourdough, olives, vegetable chips, 1/2 Apple
D: steak and chicken fajitas, chips, salsa, and guacamole
S: a few more chips and guacamole and one bowl Reese's chocolate peanut butter ice cream

Friday and Saturday "S" days work best for our family. Hubby and my 7-year-old are doing No-S with me, and they prefer friday night treats and saturday treats with Sunday as an N day. So we will be sticking with that. I feel very good about this sane S day!! Feeling great about my week. Down 4 pounds this week 😃
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 am

How cool that you are making it a family affair! Hooray!! Happy that you have had a good week. :D

Diets Don't Work.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Woo hoo! That's great you're doing it as a family! Good job on the weight loss! Do you have a recipe for the brownie batter overnight oats? It sounds divine. :D

tobiasmom

recipe

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Brownie batter overnight oats (adapted from Dashing Dish)

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp chia seed (I add this.... you don't have to)
1/4 cup mashed banana or Greek yogurt (I like banana)
Dash of salt
sweetener of choice (I use raw honey)

Mix it up and leave it in the fridge overnight. Yum! I add some peanut butter to it in the morning or mix in some nuts for extra protein.
No-S restart 01/08/23

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:21 am

Well done for your brilliant week and your excellent weight loss. You are such a star. Great to think out an S day pattern that works for all of you. You are inspiring me. Thank you. Also I have chia seeds but soak them overnight in plain yoghurt. Then add hemp seeds blueberries and a small teaspoon of maple syrup. Yummy :lol:
Have a good week
Tessy

tobiasmom

Saturday

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Day 7 of 21: S DAY

B: sourdough waffle topped with peanut butter and all-fruit jelly, coffee with cream
S: four peanut butter blossom cookies
L: salami and provolone on sourdough, vegetable chips, carrots and guacamole, apple slices
D: three slices pizza, 2 beers
S: four peanut butter blossoms

Feeling quite bloated this morning after my S day yesterday.... but I think it was somewhat sane. I did eat eight cookies yesterday... but they weren't big or anything. Just those yummy peanut butter cookies with a Hershey kiss on top. My son requested them for his S day!! I can say I am super happy to have an N day today, though!

We went and fed the homeless down under the bridge in Salinas yesterday. It was very eye opening. Sad, sad, sad. Gotta really be thankful for what I have!
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Sunday

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:39 am

Day 8 of 21: Green!

B: sourdough toast topped with peanut butter and all-fruit jelly, banana, coffee with cream
L: salami and provolone on crusty French bread, tortilla chips with guacamole, a few Asian pear slices
D: fajitas, chips topped with melted cheese
(afternoon coffee with cream and evening cup of tea)

Great day of eating today! Tempted to have donuts at church this morning a little.... but we much prefer Friday S day.... so no more church donuts for now :). I actually wasn't very tempted, but my son really wanted some. I kind of felt bad, but this 3 meals a day with treats on two days of his choice (Fri and Sat) has been so sane for getting my 7-year-old son's eating under control. No dieting. He eats whatever he wants on those 3 plates (well, with mom's addition of fruit and veggies)..... but the lack of snacking has him actually EATING his meals!!! This way of eating is just so moderate that he doesn't complain... except when he gets hungry a little before a meal. His snacking and sugar consumption had gotten OUT OF CONTROL. So happy to give him a chance at a NORMAL relationship with food as he grows up.
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:15 pm

That sounds amazing tobiasmom. Rocking your son's world (well, both of their world but in this specific case Tobias' world)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

tobiasmom

scale

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I HAVE to stay off the darn scale. Of course I'm up in weight today from Friday after a few S days. Why get on that scale? It really gets in my head and ruins my day..... so ridiculous!! I know I am doing great and making the right habits and that my son is being transformed by this right in front of my eyes. It's sooooo much more than weight loss. Stay off the scale, Amy!!! Go away, Diet head! Seriously!!!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Wow, you have made amazing progress so soon. And your son! What a gift you are giving him. My son is 22 and totally normal when it comes to food. I taught him not to over eat, but just to eat until he is comfortably full. It worked. For me, it has been a different battle. I am undoing all the years of dieting and binging, bringing a host of additional head problems along with them. I really like Reinhart's idea of tracking habits and not weight, at least initially. It seems, from what I have read from other posts, that some people have to start there. i can't remember whose posts I read, but I noticed that progression. It is so hard once the scale sends you whirling! I totally am there with you. We all want to loose the weight. I do!! But I think it will come as we make these new habits concrete. Hang in there. You really are doing well.
Always learning.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:00 pm

I know it's easier said than done, but you might want to weigh once a week, maybe on Wednesdays, after you've had a couple of N days for the week. That way, you're less likely to see water weight from the weekend. You're doing great!

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:09 am

Day 9 of 21: Green!

B: veggie egg scramble topped with avocado and feta, one slice homemade sourdough with butter, a couple strawberries, coffee w cream
L: turkey, provolone, and avocado on crusty French roll, apple slices, carrot slices, vegetable chips
D: penne Carbonara, salad w champagne vinaigrette, one small piece garlic bread (it all fit on the plate and was delicious and I soooo wanted more!!)
(afternoon cup of coffee w cream, evening cup of tea)

My meals were just so darn enjoyable today. What kind of diet is this? Oh, I know. It's NOT. It's a real lifestyle with real food! Yum. My boys ate their food and all of it! Love it!

Still haven't gotten any exercise in. I really want to go to yoga but just been busy with who knows what! Tomorrow I have to take the car in for service cuz the light came on. Just little things like that keep happening to mess up my gym schedule. We could take a walk..... gotta make it a priority!
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:23 am

Your food sounds delicious!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 pm

I agree food sounds wonderful! You are doing amazing! I only get on the scale once a week on Saturday morning! :wink: Have a great day. Hope it is nothing serious with your car!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks, gals! That's my new motto: don't eat it unless it is absolutely delicious :). I will be weighing only once a week... Friday mornings. The number on the scale isn't what matters most at this time anyway. I'm making habits.

ZippaDee: It's just regular car maintenance. Oil change and such.
No-S restart 01/08/23

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:05 am

Your food really does sound delicious!

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:53 am

I was thinking the same thing! I can't read your food posts late at night because they make me hungry. That is awesome!!
Always learning.

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 am

Day 10 of 21: Green!

B: pecan and Asian pear baked oatmeal,coffee with cream
L: leftover penne carbonara, banana with scoop of peanut butter
D: Tom Kha prawn soup, crying tiger beef w rice
(Starbucks Americano w cream this evening)
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:58 am

Day 11 of 21: Green!

B: one fried egg, spinach, 1/2 banana, sourdough toast with peanut butter, coffee with cream
L: turkey, provolone, and avocado wrap, olives, Terra veggie chips
D: taquitos with sour cream, salad with vinaigrette, tortilla chips
(afternoon coffee with cream, evening tea)

NO exercise still... but doing well with my three meals so far. My mind has been playing tricks on me and trying to go back to old habits with diets.... but I know 100 percent that is not going to work for me EVER again! No-S WILL get me to my goal slowly but surely. I have NO doubt about it. So I'm just going to keep on keepin' on! Plus....I am thoroughly enjoying my food!
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:09 am

Way to fight that diet head mentality! Good for you!! I haven't added exercise in yet either. First things first. :wink: You are doing awesome!

Diets Don't Work.

Lovedby2

lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Look at you! it looks like the diet head is leaving you. That is great and it didn't even take you very long at all! You have inspired me to eat yummier foods like you. It probably helps with not feeling deprived. Can't wait to see what you eat for dessert!!
Always learning.

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:41 am

Day 12 of 21: Green!

B: leftover baked oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter and sliced banana, coffee with cream x 2
L: two cheddar sausages, salad with blue cheese, tortilla chips with guacamole
D: two slices pepperoni pizza, salad with vinaigrette
(afternoon coffee with cream)

Good eating day! Amazing how only two little slices of pizza take up most of the plate :). I used to eat a couple plates worth for sure. The good part is that for the first time I don't feel completely stuffed after pizza night! Gotta keep on keeping on![/img]
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am

How big are pizzas where you live? My whole pizza fits snuggly onto my normal plate. I'm wondering.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I made homemade pizza last night as well. I ate two pieces too....and I was very satisfied.

Yes....keep on truckin'!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

pizza

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Eschano: It was a Papa Murphy's take n bake family style. SO it was pretty darn big. I cut it into like 20 small slices. I could have fit quite a bit more on my plate.... but I also had salad on there. It was plenty filling.... sadly! It's amazing how much less food I REALLY need.
No-S restart 01/08/23

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Pizza. Now isn't that wonderful, fantastic, beyond believable, that we can eat pizza with no guilt?? Woohoo!! Thank you Reinhart! I think of alllll the years I denied myself every food imaginable, either because it was fattening and a "bad" food or because it is "bad" for you. You go girl!!!!!
Always learning.

tobiasmom

Friday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 am

Day 13 of 21: S DAY

B: crêpes filled with cream cheese and strawberry all-fruit jelly and topped with strawberries and pecans, coffee with cream
L: one small slice pepperoni pizza, one slice garlic bread, apple fritter
S: four snack-size snickers, hot chocolate
D: corn tortilla quesadilla, cheese chips topped with guacamole and sour cream, one beer
S: Oreos and milk (way more than I needed)

A bit wild and I feel icky.... but I DID enjoy my day. The excess is SUPER obvious, though. Yuck. Hopefully I will stick with just three meals tomorrow with one treat possibly.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Saturday

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Day 14 of 21: S DAY

B: chocolate chip pancakes, coffee with cream
S: 7 Oreo cookies :(
L: Chinese beef and veggies, rice
S: 3 Oreo cookies
D: 3 slices homemade pizza, 2 beers

Still pretty crazy. The Oreos got the best of me. When you dip them in milk they are like ONE bite.... and it's soooo easy to mow through a whole row! Yikes....

I'm happy to be back to N days today. Not gonna worry about anything. Just move forward one foot in front of the other... and I'm sure my S days will calm down eventually.....Especially since I don't feel that great after two pretty crazy eating days.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Sunday

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 am

Day 15 of 21: RED!!

B: two slices toast with peanut butter and banana, coffee with cream
L: cheese enchilada, 1/2 Chile relleno, beans and rice, chips and guacamole, SODA x 2
S: darn Oreos again!!!! Probably another 10 or so...... ugh!
D: chicken and dumplings
(afternoon and evening cup of coffee)

So...... the Friday and Saturday S days probably aren't going to work out in the long run! Sundays are a day that we eat out after church often and/or just relax and have a treat in the afternoon. So as much as I enjoy a treat Friday nights, I think saving it for Sunday would be wiser. Plus..... Saturday and Sunday ARE what Reinhardt recommend! So I think I will just suck it up on Fridays and stick with S days on the actual weekend. So today is a fail. I chose to order Soda at the Mexican restaurant... and I ate WAY too much. Stuffed and icky feeling for the third day in a row. I will return HAPPILY to N days tomorrow.

I also commit to some exercise this week too!
Last edited by tobiasmom on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
No-S restart 01/08/23

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:24 am

Oh I know about those Oreos once I start. Easily eat a row or more of those bad boys. Well, live and learn. You are doing really good though. Have a green week!!
Always learning.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:43 am

I have toyed with the Friday/Saturday S days as well, but have never tried it for the reasons you are describing. Friday nights are so difficult for me too though because I am just exhausted by Friday night and want to just relax with a treat. I need to find a way to relax without food. Trying to find something that can replace that for me. Have a good week!!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Day 16 of 21: Green!

B: two fried eggs, bacon, strawberries, coffee with cream x 2
L: bowl of creamy chicken soup, WASA topped with cream cheese
D: pecan crusted chicken, green bean fries, sliced gouda
(evening cup of tea)

Didn't workout yesterday like I wanted to... or today probably! I have a sore throat and congestion. Not feeling so great.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 am

Day 17 of 21: Green!

B: coconut porridge, coffee with cream x 2
L: personal veggie pizza, apple slices
D: 1/2 vegetarian wet burrito, a few chips with salsa
(afternoon tea and evening coffee)

I feel like not snacking is getting a LITTLE easier.... ha! I'm a huge snacker so it's a learning process for me. But the N days seem to be falling into place. It's the weekends I will have to be a bit more mindful about! But for now I am focusing on N days and hopefully on S days I will try ONE treat a day. I'm just happy with the freedom to pick whatever I want to eat.... and finally getting some green days under my belt!! I only ate half my burrito at dinner because I KNEW the whole thing was just too much. WIN!
No-S restart 01/08/23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:25 am

Wow, you're doing so great!

Congratulations!!!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 am

Ok, I have to ask. What is coconut porridge? It sounds really interesting and delicious. I know what you mean about just enjoying selections of food without guilt. For me just letting myself eat foods I deprived myself of for years was so freeing. You are doing great and building good habits, and getting to enjoy eating without guilt. Fantastic!!
Always learning.

tobiasmom

coconut porridge

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Coconut porridge:
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tsp flax seed
1 cup water
1 egg
Vanilla, sweetener to taste (I use just a little Stevia or coconut sugar or honey), cinnamon, pinch of salt
(blend all together til smooth and then boil in a pan, stirring, for 5 min)

Top with more cinnamon and a spoon of coconut oil! The texture is kinda gross, but it tastes good, fills me up, and is so nutritious!
No-S restart 01/08/23

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:12 am

This sounds amazing and is so different from any kind of porridge I ever heard of. Although the "gross" texture doesn't sound so great ;)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

tobiasmom

Wednesday and Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 am

Day 18 of 21: Red!
Day 19 of 21: Red!

Ugh.... two red days in a row. I had three meals both days... good meals. BUT I had sugar both days. Ice cream AND cookies yesterday and cookies today. Both times were from anxiety. I've been really struggling with it lately. I have got to find some other way to deal with it. Sugar definitely doesn't help in the long run, but for some reason I have created that go-to habit! Man!!!!

So I'm going to just move forward. It's ONLY two days. I have a lifetime to do this journey. Tomorrow is a new day. And I plan to make it a green one. I know I can do it. I'm almost to my 21 days. Of course I will continue going forward until day 365....and more! Haha!
No-S restart 01/08/23

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:53 am

I can definitely relate to eating sweets, because of being stressed! Just remember tomorrow is a new day. I definitely agree that it would be good to find another way to cope, besides sweets. One thing that helps me is playing my clarinet (hence, the user name). I also drink a cup of tea, after my kids go to bed, and it seems to help.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 am

Ah, stress. Our double edged friend. A few things I do that (sometimes) help.
1) Any type of deep breathing/ Count to ten combination. It is especially effective if you can even do a simple stretch with it. For example: stretch your arms above your head and take a slow breath in for a count of 5 then breath out for a count of 5. Do it 3 Times if possible.
2) warm anything. . . Tea, milk, bath, shower, snuggle under a blanket with a book, a cat or a kid.
3) keep a daily journal. Don't edit yourself just write.
4) Get enough sleep - I promise you, it really is important.
5) Exercise daily (or almost daily) -it doesn't have to be marathon training - just taking-care-of-yourself exercise is enough.
6) If you tend to procrastinate - work 15 minutes a day on that thing that you are procrastinating about. You can do anything for 15 minutes.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 pm

It's a new day!!! We got this! I had two red days in a row as well. BOO!! We got this! Great pointers gingerpie! Thanks for posting those! GO :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.