MJ7910 progress and thoughts

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MJ7910

MJ7910 progress and thoughts

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:15 am

I've been doing this now since February 2013, and have made progress at staying in the same 5 lb range since then. but i start to wonder if there is one thing that i can change. i feel a lot of anxiety about weekends and making sure i get all the treats i "deserve". this has been basically what has made my weight even out, i eat reasonably and moderately on weekdays and then the weekends are definitely more. If I don't get a particular treat, I start to feel like I"m "missing out" and then I have to eat it. Certain things are viewed as treats, I'm sure we all have our individual list of things we miss during the week that we want to have on the weekend.
Let me focus on how i'd prefer things to be. I'd like it to be that I wake up Saturday morning feeling like I can have whatever I want but knowing that I feel awful when I overeat or have too many treats. Well, I do know that. There is a big difference in how i feel if i eat moderately but allow some treats versus going wild... I can tell based on if I run Sunday morning and it feels like I had a reasonable day Saturday. Some things have changed in that respect, recognizing that.
I want to get to the point that when I go away for the weekend, I don't panic about not being able to get my "proper S days" but just take the weekend as it is and not overthink it or blow it Monday due to feeling deprived. So that's where I want to get. But how do I get there. That is what I mean by progress and thoughts. I have made some progress, but still have thoughts about how to improve things. Just wonder if others have this same thought process, that weekends are kind of hard because you "know" you can have some other stuff and want to make sure you get it in...
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:18 pm

When I first started No S I definitely relished those weekends and followed a pattern similar to what you describe. I am not sure how, but i gradually changed my pattern. I started being less concerned about an occasional S event on N days and stopped planning my treats for weekends.

I now start every day like it is an N day, but if treats come my way on S days, I am more likely to go ahead and indulge. If it is an N day, I try to only indulge if it is a special occasion.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:15 am

quick update. building up to running a half marathon. really enjoying exercise. Have been a NoS-er for about 2 years and it has worked out well. grateful to have discovered this. putting a lot of thought into geneen roth's books about how women view themselves/eating habits/disordered eating. i am striving towards moderation in food and getting a handle on why sweets are such a downfall for me. trying to still eat sweets on S days when i want them because i dont enjoy feeling deprived and it results in other mental symptoms... but realizing it's not the be-all end-all. it's just another food group/way to get energy. trying hard to look at emotions and what cravings i am getting for food, get past those and think of other ways to handle emotions. food is calories, energy, way to survive. it shouldn't rule our lives... reflecting on how to be more laid back on S days... it will come, I know... i look at the long timers posts and realize i can be there...one day

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:31 am

haven't done the daily check in for about a year now! funny how time gets away . i still basically practice NoS the same as i have been. it's 3 meals a day, almost effortless. i did decide to start keeping track of exercise/food again but not letting it become a problem. it's more to see how much protein/carb ratio i am getting for running. it is tempting at times to let those old thoughts come back. but i try not to let it become a problem like it was. coming up on 3 years with NoS, will probably do a summary post here in a few weeks.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:15 pm

Interesting to see how it takes only a few check-ins for you. I'm still addicted to the topic! Glad you are able to watch nutrition and not get too crazy. I think when it's attached to something reasonable, like to support running or some other pursuit not necessarily attached to vanity, it helps. Working on that myself, but not for a sport. Afraid it messed with me more than with you. Oh, well. First world problem. Keep up the good work!

8)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)