Leah's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

leahlc

Leah's Daily Check-In

Post by leahlc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Ok, here goes!
I discovered No S earlier this spring and immediately decided that this was the "diet" for me. It just clicked. This was how I had eaten when I was younger and thinner, I just didn't realize it at the time. So, in March I decided to give it a try and after about a month I had lost 8lbs. Due to some very stressful life circumstances that happened towards the end of April I stopped following No S and basically ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to. This continued throughout the summer and up until the beginning of last week when I noticed my finger was really hurting. I realized that my wedding ring was getting really tight and if I didn't take it off right then I might not ever get it off. I was devastated. Not being able to wear my beloved ring was the last straw. I started back on No S immediately. I followed it all of last week until Friday. Friday was our 11th anniversary and the inlaws had all of our kids so we went out to eat twice and had dessert after dinner. Instead of counting it as a special day I counted it and Saturday as my S days and counted Sunday as an N day. Aside from a Gatorade that I drank yesterday (does that count as a sweet?) I have followed No S for 9 days.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Welcome! Happy anniversary, too. As for the Gatorade, I would count it as a sweet, for me. I think of it as a non-bubbly pop. Others might have a different take.

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:39 pm

welcome back and good luck! I'm in a similar position--success in the spring---major stress, then a summer of comfort eating. I'm just about at the one month back mark. I haven't weighed, but I can tell I've lost a little weight. it's certainly the most rational weight loss plan I've ever tried.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35 am

Happy Anniversary and well done on your 9 days (and your impressive weight loss the first time around.)

As for the Gatorade: if you can do without it then leave it but if you can't then focus on all other NoS principles and limit to one a day sometimes and kick the habit later on.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

leahlc

Day 10

Post by leahlc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Yesterday went well. I followed No S to a T. Lunch was a little rough. I didn't eat enough and by dinner I was starving. No snacks though and I ate a sensible dinner. On the exercise front I did great. I decided to walk home from work for lunch which added a little bit of activity to the middle of my day. It isn't much (the walk home and back only takes about 15 minutes total) but it is nice to get out in the fresh air in the middle of the day. Also, yesterday evening I completed day two of the couch to 5k program. This is my 3rd time through and it is the only type of exercise I actually enjoy. I have been going through the C25k program once a year for the past 3 years. My goal this time is not to quit once I run a 5k but to keep running 3x/week. This morning I stepped on the scales and my weight actually went UP! :shock: I'm not sure what to make of that. It doesn't make any sense. I am eating quite a bit less that I have been and exercising quite a bit more. I don't know. Trying not to be too discouraged. Whether or not it makes any difference in the scales ( but I want it to make a difference!) this lifestyle of not overeating and exercise HAS to be better for my body than what I was doing before.

leahlc

Post by leahlc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

And just for reference, this is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal with a spoonful of brown sugar and a cup of coffee with cream
Lunch: bowl of tomato soup and 10 ritz crackers
Dinner: smoked sausage and green beans

I also drank lots of water and a cup of unsweetened hot tea in the evening.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:15 pm

leahlc wrote:...bowl of tomato soup and 10 ritz crackers
Dinner: smoked sausage and green beans
Hi Leah, Welcome! Just popped in to point out that you took in a lot of sodium in what you listed... especially if that was canned soup. So, I would think that is probably water weight...
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

leahlc

Post by leahlc » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm

@osoniye, I think you are exactly right. Too much salt. Yes, the soup was from a can and I know the sausage was salty, too. I weighed this morning and I am back down where I was before. 2 pounds down, not 3 pounds up!

Last night was rough. My oldest son was up all night throwing up. I think I maaaaybe got 3 hours of sleep. No breakfast this morning. I'm hungry and so very, very tired and this is a very busy day at work.