KCCC's check-in (11/18/14 start)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

KCCC's check-in (11/18/14 start)

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Hello all,

I'm a long-time member of this group, back again for a little accountability. This time of year is always a little more difficult for me, as the weather cools and I crave comfort foods. And then there's all the holiday feasting... and though I've been doing No-S for a long time, and really prefer to eat that way, I've noticed that my habits have gotten a bit shaky of late.

So I'm back for a while - probably through the holidays at least.

Update from last time... In terms of weight, I've been staying pretty steady in the high 140's. Would prefer middle/low, but as long as it doesn't go to 150, I'm okay with that - it's a reasonable BMI for my height. Current exercise routine is 10,000 steps (I have a Fitbit) plus a Tai Chi class 2x/week and a short bodyweight strength routine about 3-4 times a week (and I would like to bump that up to 6x/week, but am not there yet).

And that's about it. Will start tracking S days here until I feel that I've restored my usual good habits. :)

::waves to all the old guard who might remember me::

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Good to see you back again. I also have been in and out on posting over the past 4 years, but I found the need to get back in the habit early this year when I started straying in my habits and starting gaining back some weight. Being back helped me get back on track. I hope this will be the case for you as well!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 am

KCCC is back! :D :D :D
It's a happy day for the No S community!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi WalkerLori and r.jean!

Well, yesterday was a reminder of why I'm here. The day was fine until dinner, and then fell apart. DS had band concert, and DH was picking up pizza for a fast dinner. I was swooping in from work, picking up DS, and taking him to warm up. (DH had another commitment.) Had my tastebuds set for pizza.

Alas, when I got home, DH wasn't back with it. I was already late due to traffic... So I grabbed bread and cheese and ate it in the car on the way, sharing with DS.

Which left me susceptible to the sweets at the reception after. I ate a big chocolate cluster. Stopped there...until I got home. Then I ate my pizza, as if I hadn't had anything yet.

So, fail. And yes, it was a chaotic night, but this is a chaotic season and I need my habits to be strong enough to withstand the pressures.

The good thing about being here (back on the No-S boards) is that I am reminded to "Mark it and move on." Not to waste time beating myself up, but to put my energy into the future. To look at what happened with gentle curiosity, so that I can learn from it, and to set intention for next time. Because there will always be a next time.

On with the day!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Wednesday (11/19) was good on all fronts...

No S
Fitstar (bodyweight exercises)
11,000 steps
Tai Chi class
meditation

And I'm off to a good start today. :)

It really is helpful to be back here - the added accountability kept me from indulgences last night.

Also, since I know that I do better when I'm trying to add positive behaviors (rather than imposing restrictions), I'm focusing on including a fruit at breakfast and two veggies plus a fruit at other meals. AND making my meals as satisfying and enjoyable as possible.

For the record: Starting weight 148. I'd actually like to get back to the 142-145 range I used to be in, but I'll be quite happy with holding steady through the holiday season.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Welcome back! Sounds like yesterday was a fab day :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi, Millie! Yes, it was, though it looks more impressive than it is. My "meditation" is only 10 minutes. The Tai Chi on Wednesday was the full class, but the one yesterday (reported below) was just going through the form one time - and I'm a beginner, so it's a short form. And the FitStar program I'm on is the "Daily Dose" - only about 10 minutes ther, though a pretty intense 10 minutes. The goal on that is to do it 6x/week, and I haven't been reaching it.

Hm... On days where I don't have class, the FitStar + Tai Chi form make a nice "15 minutes of anything" combo that includes strength and flexibility. Good thought.

So for Thursday...

No S
Meditation
Tai chi practice
Steps 10600

On a roll!

(Edited to correct FitStar program name - "dose," not "dozen"!
Last edited by kccc on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi, KCCC. :wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Grammy G

greetings!

Post by Grammy G » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:41 am

Oh my.. what a nice surprise! I have turned into a lurker..haven't posted anything in ages but couldn't let your return go unnoticed. Think of you at Halloween.. your son's birthday parties and my annual party for the grandkids. Best wishes to you. Grammy G
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 am

Hi BA! Hi, Grammy G! Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, my son's birthday was fun. He is now 14, and taller than I am. Hard to believe.

But it's also the start of the "eating season." As soon as the Halloween candy is gone, it's Thanksgiving...looking at old posts, I see that I tend to come back every year about now, lol! Usually, it's because my weight has gone up and I feel out of control. This time, I'm pleased to say, it's a preventative measure.

Today (Friday) was good.
No S
Tai Chi class
FitStar
Meditation
Steps 13800

(And I did do FitStar yesterday, just forgot to record it.)

I confess I would have caved if I hadn't come back to this board...guests over for dinner, and I served dessert...but didn't have any. A week ago, I would have made "almost weekend" excuses. But there are too many opportunities for excess this time of year, so I need to tighten up. And I did. :)

Grammy G

catch up

Post by Grammy G » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Oh my KCCC..the time does fly by, doesn't it? I am sure your 14 year old is changing almost daily.. and keeping you young at heart!
I need to tell you that reading "The Happiness Hypothesis" was a game changer for me. Thank you so much for mentioning it .. a long time ago I think. (We never know how something we say may help someone, do we?)
I see this season in the same light as you do but am going to take a different approach (see my "nail art" suggestion under general topics) and will not be posting.
You have such great insights and I know you have helped so many people.. glad you are back. I know you will be successful! Grammy G
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Aww.... you do not know how touching it is to hear that something you did mattered to someone. Grammy G, you have totally made my day. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Had a "good S day" on Saturday...normal eating until the afternoon, when I made oatmeal cookies. Ate enough to feel indulgent, but not so many that I spoiled my dinner or felt icky. Sent the last home with guests.

Today, I have enough leftovers for easy real meals. I can either make myself a treat, or open the box of chocolate-covered marshmallows in the cupboard. Later. I've just had breakfast, and I'm full.

On the exercise front, I got my steps in yesterday, but that's all. I'm okay with that - S-day, guests - but want to do them today so I don't lose momentum. So far, I've meditated and done my Tai Chi form. FitStar and steps intended.

I am approaching this S-day by asking myself "what would be a real treat today?" and listening for the answer. Much better than approaching it like a human vacuum cleaner, sucking up everything in sight! (Which I have done in the past, and may again - Sundays seem to bring out a "get it while you can" desperation! - but I'm trying to hold on to this feeling of choice without compulsion.)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 am

Welcome back KCCC, it's a pleasure to hear from you. I enjoy reading your excellent and insightful posts.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello, ironchef, thanks for the welcome. Coming back to this forum feels a little like coming home for the holidays!

Sunday went well - I did open the box of chocolate-covered marshmallows and shared them around, and there were a few truffles left from earlier in the week, so I had some of them. And an extra glass of wine, which I enjoyed. It was a rainy day here, so we did a "TV marathon" in the afternoon.

And I got my steps and FitStar in, which made me happy.

These are the kinds of S-days I really like - enough treats to feel very indulgent, but still keeping to my basic three squares. And stopping before I fell over-stuffed. I recently read Vsurmbat's SOS model (Serve, Observer, Savor) for eating, and really like it - take a reasonable amount, pause to notice/appreciate, pay attention and enjoy while eating. So much more satisfying than inhaling food!

Now on with Monday... and the dog waiting for a walk.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Well, dang... a red had to come sooner or later, I suppose.

For Monday,

No S
Fitstar
Steps = 13000
Meditation
Tai Chi form

The "fail" was because I was grocery shopping at my "weakest point" (around 4:30 PM) and tasted samples all through the store. At first I forgot - the first sample was something I genuinely wanted to taste. But I was also hungry, and ended up taking one of everything.

WIDR: I only took one of everything, and I didn't even think about giving up for the day. Went on to have my usual evening meal, no extras.

So I "dented my habit," but did not "wreck the car."

If I weren't trying to rebuild habit, I wouldn't worry much about a few teensy squares pieces of cheese and the like. But that's the kind of opportunistic eating that can lead to problems when the opportunities multiply, as they do during the holidays. So...I'm going to mark it.

And then move on. :)

Hope everyone has a great day!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 pm

For Tuesday...

No S - Virtual plating at dinner for social reasons. I don't think quite a red, but something to watch and be careful about.
FitStar
Meditation
Steps = 11700
Tai Chi form
- that was last-thing-before-bed, going through once, but it counts.

Weight has dropped a little, to 147. I doubt that will last over Thanksgiving, but it was a nice surprise - I've been very stable at 148 for a while now. Guess tightening up my habits has an effect!

Today is Thanksgiving Prep Day - I'm baking pies and making side dishes to take to my sister's. Fortunately, one can't sample pies without leaving evidence, and the side dishes are simply roasted veggies. I love those, so may make extra to include in our meals today.

For everyone celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow - enjoy!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 pm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING KCCC!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

And back at you, WalkerLori! :)

Wednesday had a fail at the end of the day... had leftover pumpkin pie filling, baked it up separately (no crust)... and split it with my son. About a slice-of-pie worth of filling.

That on a day where I was in the kitchen all day long, baking and cooking. It's a fail, but it's a better fail than I used to do, for sure.

Also missed on meditation, but got in steps, Tai Chi, and FitStar.

And today is Thanksgiving... and I have much to be thankful for. Including this board, and the wonderful people on it. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Hope everyone had an enjoyable and guilt-free Thanksgiving (for those celebrating it, of course)!

My Thanksgiving was very, very good. I had a normal breakfast, and used Vsurmbat's SOS model (Serve, Observer, Savor) at our extended family Thanksgiving dinner. I chose things I really liked (stuffing, oh yes; mashed potatoes, why bother?), filled my plate, and enjoyed. Then I surveyed the table and thought about what else I wanted... and the answer was that I was full, but would have pie later. There were yummy things on the table I never touched. Since I knew there would be leftovers and I could have them later, I didn't worry about it. Instead, I enjoyed the company. I like my family, and am truly grateful that I can say that.

My supper was mostly pie. ;) And I enjoyed every bite.

So that was a good S-day. I managed meditation - since I'd missed a couple of days on that, it was a focus - but steps topped out at 8000, and I didn't do either FitStar or Tai Chi. Since four hours of the day was spent in the car and another 5 cooking/eating/cleaning/visiting, I am not going to beat myself up about it! But today I will try to fit them in. (For my other habits, I am going back to my "five of seven" rule, where I aim for getting them in 5 days of the week and up to 2 days are the equivalent of S-days. That gives me a little flex, but no so much that I can just think "oh, I won't bother today". I generally need to save those flex days for the normal chaos of life!)

And today is an N-day. A little hard, because I'm getting together with friends and the plan is to bring munchies. I am taking a veggie tray and some truffles (which I can resist, actually), and will try to create a real meal out of whatever is there. And I started off with a normal breakfast, which helps.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Friday was a lovely day. Had a reasonable breakfast and dinner, but lunch was rather a fail - grazing meals are hard for me, and I'm quite sure I had more than one plate. Plus, a friend brought homemade chocolate cheesecake, and I really wanted to taste it. I did limit my portion to a taste - about two bites. Just enough to be able to tell her how good it was. Oddly, that was genuinely enough for me...satisfied the desire completely.

So a No-S fail...but I'm definitely "failing better" these days.

And I'm proud to say that I did do FitStar, steps, and meditation. Forgot Tai Chi, so that will be a priority today. Barely got my steps in: I was running in place while doing house chores to manage it, so I'm pleased with myself for making the effort to "hit my marks." (And truth...I probably wouldn't have if not for the accountability of this thread. Being back is a big help to me.)

Today is an S-day. There is pie left, and I shall have some. :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Good to see you back, KCCC. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. I, too, need this board for accountability. No snacks is really the key for me (I include in them candy, etc. so that covers the sweets as well). It is amazing how easy it is to reach for "just a few" pretzels, cheez-its, corn chips, etc. throughout the day. One doesn't realize how often they do it until they stop doing it.

I feel so much better the cleaner I eat and the more I exercise. Luckily, I come to my sense pretty easily and pretty quickly. Like you, my upper weight range limit is 150 - I do better about 144 or so, currently a few pounds more. :roll:

Again, good to see you.
Berry

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Berry!!! ::waves delightedly:: How nice to see you!

Yesterday was an S-day, and it was okay but not great. Good breakfast and lunch, but found myself opening cabinets and fridge in the evening looking for "something". I caught myself, realized I wasn't hungry, just.... unsatisfied. That was in part because we were running out of leftovers, so there wasn't a real meal's worth of dinner food, and partly because (as I realize this morning) I was coming down sick. :(

I did get my steps (barely), Tai Chi, meditation, and Fitstar in. Mostly early in the day, when I was feeling better.

So today I am going to take it easy, and give myself a pass on all the exercise habits. But I will plan for real meals, even if easy ones. Soup, maybe. AND, since it's an S-day, a "defined treat" that I know I will enjoy. I'm finally figuring out that I need something specific to look forward to, or I'll go looking through the cabinets trying to find "something nice"... which leads to eating everything in sight, and not being satisfied with any of it.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:06 pm

A total and complete S-day yesterday... Since I was (and am) sick, I didn't even try to do exercise or anything much. Just huddled in my chair with a book or knitting. I did bestir myself long enough to trim the tree with the family, and I made a much-needed trip to the grocery store. That was it for productivity. Ate meals plus quite a lot of snacks, but didn't go foraging through the cabinets as I did on Saturday.

Today is back to N-days for eating, though I may still go light on exercise. We'll see. Tai chi and meditation take so little real energy that there's really not much excuse for missing them.

I am sick of being sick. This is twice already this winter.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Monday... got in steps, Tai Chi, and meditation, and skipped FitStar because I'm still sick. Eating okay... though tbh, I didn't track carefully. I think it was pretty No-S, aside from one virtual-plating incident because my throat hurt and I thought eating would help.

Need to get better soon.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 am

Hope you feel better soon!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks, Zippy. I am tired of this.

Sick yesterday, but dragged myself in for a half-day of work because Things Must Get Done...plus, I'm usually okay in the morning, but drag in the afternoon. Left in early afternoon. Crashed early and slept, which helped.

So for Tuesday
Fitstar
Tai Chi form

Steps
No-S
Meditation

Did FitStar early, before I started to flag. Missed on steps by about 1500. No-S was fine until about 3PM, when my stomach hurt from cough drops and tea so I ate crackers and continued munching on crackers and fruit until I finally went to bed. No guilt on any of this - I'm allowed to take care of myself - just noting where I am.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Wednesday

No-S
Steps
Tai Chi class
Meditation

FitStar

I am not giving myself reds while sick. Just noting what I'm doing or not doing.

Went to urgent care and got drugs. They seem to be helping. Hope to be through this crud soon.

I think keeping to a normal routine (with added rest) is actually helpful.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Thursday

Met all goals, though the steps were just barely. Skipped the Christmas parade, even though I'm getting better now that I have appropriate meds. (VERY glad to be better.)

noni

Post by noni » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Good to hear from you again, KCCC! I'm glad you're feeling better.

How do you deal with a 14 year old son in the house? I have one of those plus an 18 year old son. "Are we out of cookies, Mom?" "I need more snacks for lunch." "Do we have ice cream in the freezer downstairs?" It gets harder as I get older!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi, Noni!

The 14 year old thing is hard. We feed him 3 squares a day, and of course he can have seconds (he's growing). In addition, he can have fruit at any time. There is a "snack cupboard" that has individual servings of fruit canned in juice, peanut-butter crackers, and popcorn, and he can help himself to something from there after school, or have yogurt.

I try to limit junk, but am not always successful. He can have one soda a day, which I am not happy about, but since his dad drinks it constantly, a limit is the best I can manage. Sweets are for dessert after a meal. Alas, he and his dad think every meal has to have dessert. DH usually gets ice cream, which I don't want unless it has been over 80F for a week. I also keep Trader Joe's 100 calorie dark chocolate bars for my son's dessert - they're small, not artificial. And they're too dark for me, so I leave them alone.

ETA - I also like to cook, so make homemade things on the weekends. That spoils them for store-bought. And some of the recipes they like - tapioca pudding, for example, or fruit crisp - have enough real food in them that I don't mind them eating them.

Hope that helps!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Sounds like you are doing great with the 14 year old, KCCC. Giving him healthy options for his snacks and feeding him good, solid meals. I don't doubt the entire family loves your homemade goodies the best !

I am so happy that you are feeling better. :wink:
Berry

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Berry, I am also glad to be feeling better.

Noni, it occurs to me that I didn't ask what the problem with the teens was...is it making sure they make good choices, or staying on track yourself when they have food around that you like?

Moving on...

Friday
No-S
FitStar

Steps
Tai chi class
Meditation

Had a dessert after supper, and fell into the "blown it anyway" trap. Not badly - was up late and snacked. WIDR - ate a serving of chips, not the bag.

Last Tai Chi class until February, when a new session will start. Sob! However, the instructor let us audio record him, so I can practice.

Saturday
S-day
FitStar
Tai Chi form
Meditation
Steps

Some grazing in the late day, but not too bad.

Sunday (so far)
S-day
FitStar
Steps

ETA: Tai Chi and meditation. Woot!
Last edited by kccc on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:59 pm

KCCC, I do try to stock things in the house that don't tempt me too much. I can say no to the ice cream that the boys like. But they also come home from visiting grandma with bags of chocolate bars. I told them to take them directly to their room, as when before everything got dumped on the kitchen table.

I buy cookies mostly, but I feel guilty about the junk I'm giving them just because I know it doesn't temp me, but baking them is a tremendous temptation. I'll freeze the excess homemade cookies and cake I make, so DH and sons can take them to work/school, though.

That's great that you have a system going that works for everyone. I need to get serious about having one myself. Christmas season is here. I gain quit a bit each year and it's getting harder to remove it. I have to take steps this year: I told my mother not to get me the usual box of chocolates for me.
It's also time to make 10 large trays of fudge for gifts as well as homemade fruitcakes. I can't tell you how thankful I am that fudge (too sweet) and fruitcake (just because) does not tempt me!

Thank you for inspiration!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Noni, you have to do what works for you as a family. If you've allowed a lot of cookies, it's hard to wean them off. (I know what would happen at my house if I tried to crack down on soda!). Maybe just buy a small amount, and when they're gone, they're gone? And tell them where the recipes are if they want to make some for themselves - boys can cook if they want to bad enough! (Not that mine would, but the option would shut him up, lol!)

Moving on...

Monday

Tai Chi
Meditation
Fitstar
Steps

No-S

Yesterday was sort of a standard NWS. I have a book club and a discussion group, and both of those always feature treats. These have turned into my standard non-weekend-S-days. Unless, of course, the treats don't look that yummy. But this time of year, of course they are extra-yummy! So, I had an "S-event" at discussion group, and otherwise it was a normal day.

However... in retrospect, I should be more picky about S-days this month. There are too many potential NWS, and it's ridiculous to think I can have them AAAALLLL. And Christmas day will be a big one. So, I think I need to hold off on my "usuals" this month and be very selective about the treats I choose to have.

Good to realize it early in the month. Would have been better if I'd thought it through before discussion group. Oh well - moving forward from here.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Tuesday

Hit all the goals. Go, me!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, after my insightful post on Tuesday, I went to book club yesterday (Wednesday) and blew it.

Usually, this is an optional NWS day. (Normally, it doesn't fall the same week as the other one, but holiday shifts...) And I took seconds and had a small dessert. Worse, because I had planned not to, I "wrecked the car" a bit in the evening.

So, No-S fail. And I missed on meditation and Tai Chi too - it was just a crazy day.

WIDR: FitStar, Steps 13,900.

Today is a new day. And there's another holiday party (work), so I have another chance to practice restraint.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Thursday

Hit all the goals, though steps and meditation were both by the skin of my teeth.

I am proud of making it through the office party without any issues. I planned ahead and got a cup of cafe au lait while everyone else was having dessert. I sometimes have one at work anyway, if I need a pick-me-up - I keep little shelf-stable cartons of milk, and we have a microwave, and there's coffee available. Having my cuppa then felt as if I were having a little indulgence, and occupied my hands/mouth while everyone else had desserts. Let's hear it for planning ahead!

Today I have *another* holiday function (I feel like quite the social butterfly!), but it's at a restaurant. I think that will be a bit easier.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Met all the goals again yesterday. Woot! I'm on a roll!

The restaurant meal was a slice and salad. It was a big slice, but not an unreasonable meal overall. And I had a glass of wine with it, which was a treat.

Today is an S-day, and it's also Christmas Baking Day. Most of what I make will be frozen for actual Christmas day (and the day after with my family). Some of it will go to a holiday party tonight. (Yes, another one, lol!)

I always let each member of my family choose ONE type of Christmas cookie, and I make those. If I feel like making something else, I do... but no obligation. That keeps the baking to a reasonable amount (three of us in family), but still makes sure everyone has what they like. The list this time includes Danish wedding cookies, a hazelnut-chocolate cookie that I like and promised my mom, and Baklava, which I have never tried but have an expert to coach me if needed. (The Baklava was chosen by my son, of course.) The hazelnut cookie is from a diabetic cookbook, and is amazingly good. It has real sugar, but not a lot, and nuts and oatmeal keep it low-glycemic.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Worst S-days EVER.

Baking + holiday parties (2) = overstuffed me. I "ate to icky" by Saturday evening and couldn't seem to stop.

I have realized that I have a funny tipping point... when I overeat to the point that I'm uncomfortable, my irrational brain seems to interpret that as being hungry as opposed to too full - it keeps looking for something to eat to "fix" the icky feeling. When my rational brain catches that dynamic, I can stop it... but it often goes on as a self-perpetuating cycle way too long.

They are S-days, so I can't do them "wrong". But I recognize that I don't LIKE this kind of S-day. So I don't want this pattern to continue. It just doesn't feel good.

I am full enough that part of me wants to fast or detox or something... except, while some folks can do that successfully, I know that I don't. Not eating breakfast will generally lead to an evening breakdown/binge. So I am having proper meals - just light ones. And I expect that by the end of the day I'll feel better.

On the plus side, I got in my steps both days, FitStar on Saturday and Tai Chi form plus stretches on Sunday. Meditation was a going-to-sleep one both nights, so I'm due for a real session today.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Monday was good. All the goals. And I feel so much better as a result!

Tonight we are going out to eat with another couple, and it's (a) a bit late and (b) at a restaurant they chose, that I'm actually not fond of. So some pre-planning is in order.

As far as eating a bit late for me, a late afternoon cafe au lait (decaf) will help. As far as the restaurant, there's a menu on the web, which helps both in terms of identifying something I like and keeping the plate reasonable. (I DO calorie-count at restaurants, because what looks like good choices- and would be at home! - often are amazingly caloric.)

Another challenge for today, which I've addressed already... my usual work routine is to drive to the gym, do a short workout (FitStar plus 4000+ of my 10,000 steps, Tai Chi), and then dress and go on to work. (Gym is near work, not near home.) The gym is now closed until January 8, so I need a new routine. Today I got up and did FitStar, and took the dog for a walk to get a jump on my steps. Didn't have time for Tai Chi too, but I think I can squeeze it in tonight.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Tuesday... met all the goals. Had to walk around the house in the evening to make the steps, but did well on the restaurant meal.

However, meditation was another "going to sleep" one, because there reaches a point when sleep trumps everything else. So it needs to be a focus today.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Wednesday

No S
Tai Chi - form only
Meditation - 10 minutes, seated
Steps 13900
Fitstar

The red was for eating a couple of PB crackers DS left in his lunch. What was I thinking? (Clearly, not.) And then, for some pre-dinner nibbling. A small fail, but... broken habit is broken habit.

Missed on FitStar, but that's the first time in a while, so orange. (The other habits are on a "5 of 7" schedule, not a strict week/weekend schedule. The backup rule is "don't let 3 days go by without doing Habit.")

Today, I've already done FitStar, so that's a good start.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Thursday

I actually made all my goals, but they all felt like "by the skin of my teeth"... even though they weren't really in all cases. I guess because meditation got left to the very last thing...

No S
Meditation
FitStar
Tai Chi - the form, once. It counts
Steps Just barely, but I didn't have to march around the house to get them (last dog-walk took care of it), so that was good.

Overall: doing MUCH better on both FitStar and Meditation since I came back here, as well as No-S of course. I'm more conscious of the "little fails" that have crept in over time. So far this holiday season, I've held steady in terms of the scale, which is all I ask when there are so many celebrations going on! I'm pretty sure that without them, I would even have dropped a bit. As it is... I'm able to enjoy the holiday festivities without the sense of food-related desperation that I've had in past years. Major win.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Friday

Steps = 12000
Tai Chi - long practice
FitStar

Meditation - another going-to-sleep one. Not the best.
No-S - Another holiday party.

Today (Saturday) is going to be a mess because of swim team commitments, and then there are TWO holiday parties tomorrow. I'm going to take salad to one of them, homemade bread (expected after I did it once years ago) and a veggie tray to the other. There will be excess, but some balance.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi KCCC,

I love that you have "sleeping meditation" :D I once tried a meditation technique that required counting my breaths: not change it, not control it, just count it. I fell asleep before I hit 5. It has since become my anti-insomnia elixir. No matter what might be happening in my mind, if I count my breaths, I'm asleep in less than a minute. Works like a charm every time . . . but I never did learn how to meditate.

Good luck with all your goals.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi, Gingerpie!

I use an app called "Buddhify" for short guided meditations, and the "going to sleep" ones are great. So, when I run out of time, I use one of those at the end of the day. But in that I really want to develop a meditation habit, it seems like a cheat to do it all the time - so I'm trying not to rely on them so much.

However, I'm going to cut myself some slack on that for a while. Walking meditations, sleeping meditation, whatever I can fit in until we're back on normal routine - I'm going to consider "good enough." For now. Because I see that right now, a higher bar will mean defeat, and that's not useful.

Weekend was a bit much - just too many things going on. On the WIDR front, there were recognizable meals both days... even if the holiday excess was also there. No FitStar on the weekend, which means I fell below "5 of 7" for the week. (But I did it today, so beat the secondary "don't miss more than 2 days in a row" rule.) I did do Tai Chi on Sunday, and got steps in both days. Meditation... sleep.

Trying to be more reasonable today (Monday). I have already done FitStar, and Tai Chi, so that's a good start.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Monday...

No S

Meditation - a proper sitting one, if short.
Steps = 12000
FitStar
Tai Chi
- full practice, not just the form :)

On the red... another holiday party, plus baking. I actually did well then, but in the evening I caved and ate some of my cookies. Shopping in the rain makes me feel I "deserve" a treat, and I used up my willpower early in the day.

This is a hard time of year, and I see a lot of Red Days lining up. My only consolation is that I honestly think they're fewer and lighter than they would be if I weren't here. Mark it and move on.

Today, I've already done my FitStar. That's a good start.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Another day exactly like yesterday...

S-fail = an extra slice of pizza and two cookies.

I am definitely in the holiday mood... and don't wanna be moderate.

It's Christmas Eve today, dang it. And Christmas is tomorrow.

But if I don't respect habits now, how will they stay habits?

Need to think about what I really want, and be intentional. Decide, not just float along. If I decide to include S-events, make them an "s-worthy" choice, not just "what's there."

Okay, time to do other things.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Busy holiday, full of family and festivities...

... and far too many S's. And not quite enough exercise either Christmas Day or the day after, when I traveled to see extended family.

I do enjoy this time of year, but the influx of sugar isn't good for me. It starts creating addictive behavior. I walk by the trays of candies/cookies and reflexively stuff something in my mouth. And then... I don't feel so good later. That cycle is compounded by diminished exercise.

After all this time, I know myself well. Saying "I won't eat X" doesn't work for me - my inner piggie immediately reacts with alarm, sensing deprivation. Instead, I start gently, focusing on creating recognizable meals with foods I like. That pushes out some of the junk. I add "positive efforts" - eat MORE veggies, drink MORE water. And the good habits push out the bad, because I feel better when I follow them. And not just physically - it feels good to make choices that my wiser self approves of.

So that's the plan for these next two S-days. No, I'm not giving them up. I'm just reminding myself to keep them enjoyable. Because eating good stuff is supposed to be a reward, not a weird form of self-punishment.

On the plus side... I'm back on track with my exercise, after sporadic attempts these last two days. I've done FitStar and am well on my way to hit my steps today. And despite the travel chaos, I fit in Tai Chi last night. Not perfect, but an effort worth acknowledging.

Hope everyone else's holidays were good, and best wishes for the New Year!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 am

Oh what wise words. I really needed to read them and feel normal again :-)
Enjoy your s days and rejoice in the delightful food we are able to eat. Happy New Year tessy

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Been a while since I checked in. I did keep my N days for M-W between Christmas and New Year's. However, we got sad news that an old friend had died, and traveled to his memorial service on the 31st. And when we got back, there were several back-to-back New Year's events. So I haven't been keeping up here.

We are sad about our friend, but it was actually comforting to have parties around his loss. We took a moment to remember him with other friends, and that was helpful.

Today starts normal life again. That's a big N after all the holidays and festivities. I will do my "official weigh-in" on Wednesday. I suspect I'm up a little, but not a lot - maybe 2 lbs at most. And I'm really ready to start eating decently again.

BUT... it's not my major focus when it comes to New Year's, and that's actually kind of cool. My exercise habits have been quite decent through the holidays, and No-S covers eating nicely. So my first "Habit of the Month" (which I do instead of resolutions) will be to address physical clutter. February will be finances - I will get taxes done early this year! After that, we'll see what needs attention.

I am not going to have time to catch up on everyone's threads, but hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season. Aside from the loss that is part of life, mine were wonderful - filled with friends and love and good times, and not too much excessive consumerism. Just exactly what a holiday should be.

Happy New Year!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:22 am

I'm sorry for your loss.
I like the Habit of the Month idea. I may have to do this...

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Monday (Jan 5) was good on all fronts...

No-S (yay!)
FitStar
Meditation
Yoga class (in place of Tai Chi)
25 minutes clutter-busting ("Habit of the Month" for January)

A funny... my son's swim practice resumed last night. It's held at a pool on our local college campus. We had real trouble getting to the gym... all the students were going there for their New Year's resolutions, and there was no parking, and cars were backed up at the entrance. It will be back to normal soon, I know.

Today is back to work for me. My college gym is not yet open, so I got up early and walked the dog to get in some steps, and did FitStar before I left home. Still, will be hard to get in All the Things today, even at the most minimal level. So I need to plan ahead.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, I was right on in my weight estimage. 149.5 - up 1.5 lbs for the holidays. Not as good as I'd hoped (planned to hold steady), not as bad as it could have been. Following the advice of a wise friend, I'll put my energy into the future, not the past. And No-S is already much easier now that I'm back to usual routine and my normal "No-S-friendly-environment" has been restored.

So, Tuesday was good.

No-S (yay!)
FitStar
Meditation
Tai Chi

Missed on the Battle Against Chaos, which is what I've named my January Habit. It was the first day back at work, and life just filled... so that's my first yellow. (This is a 5-days-of-seven habit. The rules: 25 minutes of creating order OR find 10 things that can go away. I'm going to have fun with this!)

Found out FitStar is doing a January challenge. If you hit 20 workouts, you're entered into a drawing. I should make that handily if I keep to my current schedule. How cool is it that a "New Year's Challenge" is just my normal life at this point?

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:17 am

1.5lbs isn't bad at all! I bet it will come off easily as well. I always find that weight comes off easy or hard proportionally to how long it's been there. Maybe it's just because I slip easier into my old habits but that's my experience. And a few weeks isn't that long.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 pm

eschano, you're right - 1.5 isn't bad. And I had pizza for dinner the night before, so some of that may even be due to salt. Next week's weigh-in will tell the tale. The focus is just to get back on track with habits - which I'm finding pretty easy so far (knock on wood).

So, Wednesday was pretty good.

No-S
FitStar
Steps
Tai Chi
Habit of the Month: Battle against Chaos - cleared out a cabinet AND got rid of well over 10 clothing items! Woot!

Meditation - I did a "going to sleep" one, which is marginal - need a real sitting one to get back on track.

On with the day! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Haven't been reporting in - just busy. Took an extended-weekend to visit to my sister, so was a bit out of normal routine.

However, I got in my steps all days but one, and my Fitstar as well. Some Tai-Chi, but didn't track it. Only "going to sleep" meditation, so that needs attention (though I do remember following through on a good seated meditation on Thursday.) Had one No-S fail on Monday - otherwise was in S-days.

Relatively okay overall, and now I'm moving forward, which is what counts.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Tuesday

No-S
FitStar
Steps
Tai Chi

Habit of the Month: Battle against Chaos - couldn't get to it, with work and son's swim practice.
Meditation

Wednesday

No-S - one homemade cookie at book club (normal NWS)
FitStar
Steps
Tai Chi

Habit of the Month: Battle against Chaos - cleared out a drawer AND got rid of well over 10 clothing items!
Meditation - didn't track well enough at my sister's, but I feel I've missed on this more than I like. A focus for today.

Oh, and on my Wednesday weigh-in I was 148.5 - just .5 up from prior to the holidays. I feel as if I've maintained pretty well. Now it's just reinforcing habit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Thursday was good on all counts.

Friday... not so much. Got steps, Tai Chi, and meditation, but really failed on No S (evening snack-fest, at wreck-the-car level but not eating-to-icky level). Missed on Battle Against Chaos as well, but plan to get to some of that today.

Today... so far, so good. Regular breakfast, almost time for lunch. (But evenings are my most likely times for over-eating.)

I am being proactive about my day overall, and that's helping a lot. Unscheduled time can overwhelm me, since I think of all the things I could do, then mentally turn them into things I should do... and feel overwhelmed, so eat instead of doing anything. So I've made a really skeletal to-do list, and put "all the things" on a list labelled "possibilities." So I won't forget them, but they are clearly NOT required of me today. We'll see how that works.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Did pretty well over the extended holiday weekend, except for Monday, which I hadn't planned to take as an S-day but did. In addition, I didn't get the normal range of exercise in on Monday, because I was doing yard work and dealing with unexpected car issues and had just.had.ENOUGH.

But I did All the Things the other days, so it's all good. That's one reason why I define compliance as "five of seven" days... if I miss one day, I'm less tempted to beat myself up. It's just one of the ones I'm allowed, and I work on staying on track the other days.

Tuesday.... so far, back on track.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a hello and update... I'm doing fine, sticking to No-S pretty well, and weight is within my normal range... 146, which I think is a little down from when I last checked in.

Found a few exercise apps I like - "Move" and "Yoga Studio" and am enjoying them. And I'm taking a Tai Chi class which I loooooove.

That's about it... busy with work and life, and not overly worried about excessive eating. I like that.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 am

It's always brilliant to hear from you KCCC! Your posts were a big reason I stuck to NoS originally! Glad you're doing well :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021