Strawberry Roan's 2015 Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Strawberry Roan

Strawberry Roan's 2015 Check In

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Good Morning, HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Wishing all a healthy, happy year,

Things are going well here, indulged a bit over the holidays but enjoyed it all.

Back on track now, cookies are all sealed up and ready for the freezer - or the birds.

I was looking back on an old graph from when I first started posting on health and fitness forums, my weight is down three pounds from when I started - this was January 1, 2007 - so I feel good about that. I never had a real weight problem as an adult (was a skinny child), maybe the same final ten pounds most struggle with. I am within a few pounds of the weight where my body looks and feels it best so I have no fear that I will be there by the end of the month. My main goal is to be my healthiest for as long as I can. I will be 66 in March and hope to have many more productive decades ahead of me.

I know that I am in much better shape than I was 8 years ago as I am eating so much "cleaner" and my exercise is consistent.

Stocked up on fruits and veggies, back on my nightly huge salad and it feels wonderful. I don't know how people can eat holiday type big meals every day, I just couldn't do it.

To your health all,

ETA, For those who might wonder what is a Strawberry Roan - it is a color of a breed of horse, also known as a red roan. When I first met my husband, a working cowboy, he told me my hair was as pretty as a strawberry roan's. I have strawberry blonde hair. I took it as a compliment, happy he didn't say my rump was as big as a Clydesdale's. 8)
Berry

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 am

Happy New Year Berry!

I just commented on your old thread. Sorry!

I never knew the story behind your nickname - love it!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi,

How is the new year going so far? I always try to stock up on fruits and veggies but the kids keep eating them LOL. I love salads also, I just can't get the the rest of the family on board with thinking they are complete meal so I have to always make another complete meal along with it.

I agree with the goal of being the healthiest that you can be for as long as possible. Unfortunately, that makes me focus a bit more on my weight than I'd like because all the current health markers are weight dependent. (bmi, cholesterol, "apple" shape etc)

I have good intentions of only measuring my fitness level and follow a sensible no-s type of diet but I still sneak on the scale regularly. I hope to eventually be able to give that up though.

well, c'est la vie. Happy New Year and good luck

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi eschano ! Happy New Year ! Thanks for thinking of me,

Thanks for stopping by gingerpie. Things are going well, I work for a law firm and was off for two weeks so I was very, very busy when I returned on Monday.

I do weigh every day, have since I was a teenager. Just habit like brushing my teeth, etc., each morning. Keeps me honest.

But, I also know that the numbers can be crazy. I can gain four or five pounds overnight and I know that the math of 3500 calories equal a pound cannot equate as I just haven't eaten that much. It is usually due to excess sodium from a hearty Mexican dinner at our favorite restaurant or something like that.

I always say that one cannot go wrong by doing right. I just keep trying to do the right things, note the daily weight on a graph from another site and move on. I have found that when there is a plateau - a place our body wants to hold on to - when it does break, it will be a several pound loss. I read years ago that a woman's body was designed to hold on to the final ten or twenty pounds in the event of a famine while the woman was pregnant. I am happy to not be facing famine and even happier to not be pregnant; very happy !

It is good that your kids want to "steal" all the good fruits and veggies, life long habits like that will serve them well. I, too, consider a nice ruby red grapefruit a treat and cannot wait to put together my mega salad each night.

Good luck on your journey to better health. Stop by anytime. :wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Happy Saturday All.

Really feeling motivated, probably because I have had some really good days since the whole holiday thing and it feels so much better than overdoing. There are still containers of homemade cookies - several varieties - on the counter as well as a container of homemade fudge and other chocolate concoction in the fridge, not to mention candy dishes, etc. sitting around.

BUT, I have no real desire for any of that because I have also stocked up on oranges, ruby red grapefruits (I love them), apples, bananas, grapes, blueberries, lots of good lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, red/green/yellow peppers, fresh spinach, good cheeses, a container of boiled eggs, Greek yogurts, lots and lots of yummies.

I fantasize about my next salad :D

Exercise is going very, very well - I am making time for "ME" and it feels great. I so much more love going to bed at night feeling What a great day I had than Oh my, what a day I had :shock:

Also, very happy that the "kicking the diet soda habit" that I adopted last year has held. Rarely even have the desire although I still have several twelve packs in the pantry, will give them to someone who still imbibes. Water, coffee, green tea, Crystal light pink lemonade now and then will suffice!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Happy Sunday All !

Just had breakfast/lunch - it is past noon. :)

Had oatmeal with a chopped up orange and sliced banana in it, sprinkled with cinnamon. No sugar, no butter, no milk - it was great and I have two fruits in me!

Have done a lot of floor work exercise as well as some thrusts and lunges, will do my biking a bit later today. Also doing some band stretches while watching tv. Might walk on the glider a while, next week might even be warm enough to walk outside - mid 50s. I really could exercise all day long but that would be crazy unless I decide to - at the age of almost 66 - to become a personal trainer. Uh, probably not but it would be great to have access to all that great equipment all day long. Our exercise room has several pieces but I would love to have it ALL !!!

Will probably not have anything else to eat until dinner - a bit ole salad with lots of yummy stuff in it. Will add a chopped boiled egg and some shredded Cheddar cheese for protein.
Berry

LookingForSanity

Post by LookingForSanity » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Berry, I love how you came about acquiring your nickname. Funny about the Clydesdale rump. haha

I'm 51 yrs. young and I had to take a deep breath while reading about all your wonderful exercising. WTG!!! Were you always so active? Is there hope for an old dog like me, who has to push myself just to get out and take a walk? I've always loved the idea of exercise, but not the actual doing of it. I would love to learn to love it like you do! Truly impressive! :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi, thanks for the kind words. I always say that exercise is my saving grace. I literally get tense if I can't exercise - not to the extreme or anything - but I do have to do something everyday. It has been that way my entire life. It has served me well, I had four kids in five years !!!! Wore my pre-pregnancy jeans home from the hospital each time.

That said, as I have aged it has been harder to control the spread around the middle, an ongoing battle for sure. I also want my bones to be as strong as possible as I age.

Doing great, went out earlier and bought a lot of fruits and veggies. Got a big bag of Halos for 4 bucks, normally 6 so that was great! Added them to my big glass bowl of grapefruits and oranges, very pretty combo. Will add some to my spinach salad tonight.

We met friends for lunch, I ate part of my husband's fries and shared an ice cream cone. It was fine, drank lemon water, chatted and laughed for about three hours. Small town diner where people meet more to visit than for the cuisine. Their "salad" option is the same shredded lettuce they use on the tacos with one (seriously, one) cherry tomato on top. So, I nibble on whatever the hubby is having usually and eat at a later (or earlier) time. Nobody cares what, or if, I eat. Nor do I care what or if they eat.

We went to the feed store while we were out so when we got home I got to throw around some fifty pound salt blocks and unload big bags of sweet feed (horse feed). That and tossing a few bales of hay over the fence and I am ready for a healthy dinner and a workout, for sure!

Hope this finds everybody doing well and back on track for the New Year! The son was over last night and I gave him all of the leftover holiday cookies, candies, chocolate covered pretzels, etc. etc. etc. I said, they might be a bit stale. He said, they will be great, mom :D

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Happy Sunday All !

Pulled out one of our blenders and am jumping on the smoothie bandwagon.

I started simple, made an orange juice/frozen banana/spinach smoothie

Just two cups of orange juice, two chopped up frozen bananas (which I always seem to have in my freezer) and two handfuls of baby spinach leaves. Layered in that order in the blender, pushed the spinach leaves down a bit to get them wet and pressed the crushed ice button. The bananas being frozen made it night and frothy. No ice needed.

It was soooo yummy. Four servings would come in at about 110 calories each. I know one has to be very careful with smoothies out and about as they can be four or five hundred calories each.

Will experiment with strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, etc. Love the idea of adding an avocado - think I will do that next!

Always thinking of more ways to add fruits and veggies.

Did about two hours or more of various forms of exercise today, feels so good to stretch and move. Warm here so I am going to stroll around the farm a bit - and I will get to walk an hour at lunch tomorrow. Sixty degrees - in Missouri - in January :shock:

We will probably pay for it soon but everybody is enjoying it while it lasts.

___ Just read some more "healthy" smoothie recipes. Gonna try one that is strong brewed coffee, frozen banana, peanut butter and cocoa powder.

Just had late lunch of a bag of Steamables Market Blend vegetables light tossed in virgin olive oil. The entire bag is 100 calories ! Contains, zucchini, yellow pepper strips, roma tomatoes and carrots. Four more veggies!

Will have a big salad for dinner and add a boiled egg and some shredded cheese for protein!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm

Happy Saturday fellow No Sers!

Things are going great, I have lost all of my holiday pounds and feel great.

What I find amazing is how different just five pounds or so makes me feel.

Psychological probably but also even in the fit of clothes.

Still trying different smoothies, have lots of fruits and veggies to experiment with.

Feels like Spring around here but zero weather is looming :roll: Took advantage of a beautiful morning to clean and fill all the bird feeders and straighten the decorative yard flags and windsocks.

Hope you all are healthy and warm!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello All !

Everything is going very smoothly! Weight is at my ideal spot, clothes fit perfectly, exercise is going better than ever. Nothing to complain about at all, well except for a pulled muscle or something between my shoulder blades but it is from lifting hay bales so it's all good :D

My husband has joined the new gym in town, will probably add my membership as well for an extra ten bucks although I prefer to exercise here at home. But, it will give me something to do if I accompany him besides read about Kim K :roll: Will probably do the weights there.

Ate at Burger King yesterday, had the veggie burger (hold the mayo, mustard please), fries and unsweetened tea. A friend I was with said - Hey the sundaes are on sale, let's get one. I said, Nah, I'm good! And I was.

Trying lots of new smoothies, had orange juice, fresh spinach leaves, cucumber, avocado, frozen strawberries and a frozen banana the other day. Tasted great and very, very filling. One little glass before I went to work and I wasn't hungry for anything until the afternoon

:shock:

Hope everybody is doing well here, it is 70 degrees in Missouri today and we have the windows open. It won't last which makes it all the more special.

To your health all,
Berry

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Strawberry,

How great to hear you are doing so well. Sorry about the shoulder blade/hay bale thing. I grew up on a farm but it has been years since I've slung a hay bale around. I'm wondering why you have to go into town to do weights if you have hay bales :lol: I'm pretty sure if I had them to sling, I'd consider my exercise done for the day.

Enjoy the warm weather,
Virginia

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:31 pm

great to read you're doing so well berry!
yes, those healthy smoothies and fresh squeezed juices are wonderful and do fill you up... they have lots of real nutrition and that's what our bodies need... i'm gonna try that smoothie combo soon! sounds great!
hope your shoulder heals up soon... maybe schedule a massage? :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks a lot, my shoulder feels much better, I have been trying to use my left side more as I was over-taxing my right. It is so rare to even feel a pain that it makes me go - Oh no, hope it's not something serious. And then people say, Oh yeah, pain and burning sensation under the shoulder blade - that sounds like shingles (cancer, pancreatitis, gall bladder, etc. etc.). :shock:

ginger, good point about the weights. Each bale of hay does weigh between 65-75 pounds. At the gym, I think I would like to use the cable weight machines (like the BowFlex type of thing). In our exercise room at home, we have every size of hand weight from 1 lb to 25 lbs each but not the big machines. We do have a StairStepper, Gazelle, Airdyne bike, AbCoaster Pro, etc. plus all the little things like stability balls, body blades, Gymbar flex things, etc.

I will probably find something to do while he is using all of the machines - it is hard for him to maneuver in our exercise room now as he is still on the walker a lot - use of his prosthetic is limited to a couple of hours a day right now. But, he is doing great! The therapy guys say he is years ahead of where they thought he would be.

Good to see, you Deb. The smoothies really are yummy, luckily they are so filling as I don't want more than a single glass as a time. Let me know what combo you come up with! My husband even loves them, it is cute watching him tell all his cowboy/rodeo buddies about his spinach smoothies!

Not sure what I will eat today, something healthy that's for sure. And colorful! Probably another smoothie blend for breakfast as we have a lot of fruit and veggies on hand. Orange juice, frozen blueberries and strawberries, spinach - for sure. And dinner will, of course, be a huge fruit and veggie filled salad with shredded cheese, chopped boiled egg and maybe a handful of black beans (canned) spread over it for protein. I think I will put fresh Halo segments in my salad, they go so well with spinach.

Last night we had whole grain tortilla chips that I spread on a baking sheet, sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese until the cheese melted and the chips and cheese became crisp - then topped with hot refried beans and chopped jalapenos, fresh avocado slices, salsa, black olives, shredded lettuce, strips of red/green/yellow peppers and onions that had been caramelized a bit, sour cream, your basic seven layer dish expanded, no meat. The difference is melting and crisping the cheese and chips before topping with the hot refried beans. Makes such a difference, and the crispy cheese edges are yummmmmy!

I got in double the exercise yesterday and will do the same today. I can really see it in my abs - my almost 66 year old abs! No swimsuit model here but pretty good considering I had four kids in five years, two C-sectons less than a year apart!

Enjoy your Sunday all, make it a happy - healthy day ! Treat your body, and yourself with love and respect.

:wink:
Berry

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:59 pm

I just love reading your optimistic, life-loving posts!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks, eschano. :D :!:

Things are still going great, Salads still rule ! I overheard my husband talking to a buddy yesterday on the phone, he said Yeah, I'm doing fine. Been eating better - joined the gym, getting some exercise. Susie (me) has me eating salads and they are actually pretty good - she puts all kind of stuff in there, you name a fruit or veggie, it has seen my salad plate. Not to mention boiled eggs, shredded cheese, etc. He said he is starting to get excited to see what each night's salad will look like :P

Lots of fruits and veggies, for sure. and Lots, Lots, Lots of exercise !

We are getting our much delayed winter weather now - here in Missouri - snow, ice, sleet, etc. However, it seems by the forecast to be short lived so nobody is complaining. We have had little or no winter weather thus far, really feel for those in the Northeast We have family in Buffalo :shock:

Hope you are all doing well, staying the course !

To your health,

ETA, Just realized that the subject of weight didn't enter my mind when I was posting. I am at my ideal weight and don't vary by more than a pound or two. I weigh every morning - habit - and know exactly what it will say most days based on how much salt, etc. I had the day before. It isn't about weight for me anymore, it is about how healthy can I treat myself.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:26 am

Good job, Berry!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:36 am

Thanks oolala, you are always so supportive! :wink:
Berry

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:42 pm

That's wonderful! ! I'm so happy for you.

My plan is to follow no-s until I stop losing weight then to follow no-s just because it seems so darned sensible. Does it ever become automatic I wonder? I mean to a real habit - like the kind you never have to think about?

Have a great day flinging your hay bales.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:23 pm

gingerpie, I'll jump in here! I've heard that it does get automatic, but I suspect that is rather idealistic. When you look at world statistics, we see that in just about any place populations get widespread access to food, the population becomes overweight or at least at the higher levels of the BMI scale, whatever you think of that metric. Only in places where cultural ideas limit the intake, and it does seem to be often by having eating be meal-based, do the populations stay slim. This means that it doesn't come naturally to individuals to eat moderately. If we lived in a culture that adopted that as a value, it might feel more automatic. But it isn't necessarily torture to have to think about it some.

I think to some degree it has to do with how easy/acceptable, we feel it is to accomplish the productive tasks we feel we need to and with whether we feel we have enough other pleasant experiences that take the place of the easy pleasure of food. There are a FEW who magically want only what their slim bodies need. Some people luck out on both of the previous two accounts, so once they find a reasonably simple program, it does become rather automatic and they then are free to concentrate on the other elements.

I hope none of this is offensive. We don't choose to have it be a concern. I do believe there is a great deal of luck involved. I am definitely one of the ones it doesn't come automatically to, though what discipline it takes is wonderfully worth it. It hasn't been torture ALL the time! It's the other stuff for me that gets in the way five years in. I'm always workin' on it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat May 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey No Ser's, what's up?

I liked to never found my thread as I haven't been here for a while.

To answer the question, yes, in my case it is now automatic to eat well and exercise. I just don't want to live any other way. I love good food and I love to exercise so the weight is not an issue now, but even more - I feel very strong and healthy. At 66 years old.

Today my husband had bacon and waffles for breakfast, I had a cheese stick, boiled egg and green tea.

For lunch, I will probably have a baked sweet potato and a veggie burger (no bun).

Dinner will be a big salad, of course (the house is FILLED with fruits and veggies as I went shopping yesterday) probably topped with strips of a new faux chicken patty I have found and really love. It is called Quorn and is meatless, soyless and non GMO. I will grill a patty, then slice it and alternate it with avocado strips on the top of my salad wagonwheel style. Then in the center, I will put a circle of blueberries and cherry tomatoes. I can picture it now :D

I love food and am constantly amazed at the bounty available to me, so very lucky. My salads are so huge because I have to add not only several kinds of good lettuces and then spinach, cucumber, red/green/yellow pepper slices, black olives, and who knows what else. I just keep piling it on. Then top it with shredded cheese and sliced boiled egg (if I haven't eaten egg in other forms throughout the day). Get in lots of protein which is essential.

Got new red wine pomegranate vinegar so I am set. Went to Pizza Hut with friends last week and pulled a little vial of my vinegar out of my purse. No way am I going to ruin a good salad with bad dressing.

And thus, I had more calories for the pizza and dessert!

But, enough rambling about salads, how interesting can that be?

Hope everyone is enjoying the start of summer, life here is going well. My husband is doing great with his new prosthetic, my work at the law firm is busier than ever, family is healthy and happy, cat is fat, horses are frisky.

Not much more this country girl could ask for.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Sat May 30, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 pm

So glad to hear things are going well. I'll be 66 in five years. Maybe it will be completely automatic by then! Food and a lot of other good things.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat May 30, 2015 5:51 pm

oolala53 wrote:So glad to hear things are going well. I'll be 66 in five years. Maybe it will be completely automatic by then! Food and a lot of other good things.
Thanks for saying hi !

I have been dealing with the healthy eating/exercise dilemma for about fifty years so it is about time it became automatic.

I was never really overweight but even ten pounds bothered me greatly. Now the weight doesn't fluctuate more than a pound or two, ever. The last time I had extra pounds to work on was after the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays but once my body realized that I was back on track, it responded.

As I said once, I am rather vain as to how my jeans fit as I am married to a good looking cowboy. That helps keep me on track as well, I am sure. :wink:

I, too, feel that your future is filled with lots of good things to come.

For sure.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello All !

Haven't been here for a while, life just got SOOOO busy, at work, at home, family, yardwork, etc. Had a great summer and am enjoying a beautiful Fall in the Ozarks !

Love seeing the number of new members and am trying to read all of their threads.

No S lifestyle has been going fine, my weight has held stable for a long, long time now - if it gets one or two pounds up I just adjust for the day. I do weigh daily, it keeps me honest. And I still love to exercise, more so the older I get it seems.

Still loving my big, healthy, colorful dinner plate sized salads daily. And now my husband's simple little dinner salad has grown as well. :D

He is doing great with his new prosthetic, moving from a walker to a cane so that is a great advancement as far as his daily lifestyle.

Hope you all are doing well, anxious to read some threads and check up on ya !!
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi, again. Glad to hear of your husband's progress and of your stability with No S. I SHOULD be busy with the rest of my life but somehow get stalled. Maybe today!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm

OOps. double post.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Great to see you here and glad you & your DH are doing well!

I really appreciate hearing maintenance stories and glad to know it's very possible. What you describe is exactly how I imagine maintaining for me--daily weighting with adjustments as necessary.

Thanks for update!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:48 pm

and again. this is when the site was having problems.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Berry - thanks for stopping by my blog - I'll have a read through your story when I've time!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Rawcookie, you have a blog here? Or did you mean your check-in thread? Don't mean to split hairs; I just don't want to miss out.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello All, Happy December. Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.

Hope everybody had safe, sane Thanksgiving. Ate what I wanted but didn't overdo, because my body just doesn't feel good when I eat too much after years of sanity. I did pick up two or three pounds (well, yes I do love dressing - and gravy - and pie ! ) hahah.

But, they seem to be gone - which is good, heading into the next holiday foodfest. I do make excellent chocolate chip cookies :wink: and excellent peanut butter cookies :wink: and excellent sugar cookies :wink: - and, let us not forget the rocky road and peanut butter fudge :roll: :roll: :roll:

But, like most of you, I will try to enjoy the blessed holiday and welcome the New Year where the entire world gets a fresh start !

There are a few holiday events planned, above and beyond the family gatherings - office party, volunteer committee party, church dinner (a BAPTIST church carry in pot-luck, need I say more?)

Looking forward to every single day ahead of me - grateful to have the abundance to enjoy!

Wishing you all a wonderful season, celebrating the holidays and tradition you hold dear.

:P (off to do some pre-emptive extra exercise !!!
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:58 pm

I still can't imagine doing baking because dough is one of my major binge foods. Thankfully nobody complains if I bring bakery goods.

So nice to hear of your plans and your blessed outlook.

No need to reply!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks oolala ! Always good to read your words.

Almost through all the holiday treats. I have eaten my fair share of the goodies (except the candy - cookies are a better treat for me than candy (that is because I make such GOOD cookies) :roll: For some reason, we are always given really nice gourmet chocolate gifts - luckily we have family that enjoy them when they are over so we don't have to indulge all by ourselves. I always make my son rocky road fudge so sent a bunch of it home with him on Christmas day.

Actually will be glad when all the holiday food had been consumed, ready for the New Year to begin.

I LOVE New Beginnings! Looked at another site where I have been a member for a decade or so. There is a weight graph there so I clicked onto Jan 1st last year and I should register about the same or maybe a pound or two lower this year - a weight that I am happy with.

Or thought I was, suddenly I feel that five pounds less would be better. We shall see, I don't want too get that too thin in the face look that is so aging as I am going to be 67 in a couple of months.

I have stepped up the exercise a bit in response to the holiday food and that feels really good.

Wishing you all well and happy to start another year with such supportive friends. I saw Oprah doing her heartfelt Weight Watchers commercials and for some reason, I felt sad for her. She has struggled so looking for the "answer" that although nobody wants to truly admit it - Eat less, move more.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:28 pm

It's possible that Oprah might have to eat less and move more than is reasonable to ask to become cosmetic thin. She could be eating and moving moderately and still stay quite overweight since she was once so heavy- people who've lost weight take fewer calories to maintain than those who never did. It all depends on what she can LIVE with. Bar health issues or an extremely atypical inner change, I doubt she'll ever get back to the weight she was after her Optifast (or some liquid diet) phase. I doubt she needs to. But there is money to be made! Can she really need more money?

I believe no one should be able to be a representative of a system's success until they've been at it at least two years. And WW should have to broadcast its overall success over five years, which is very low.

However, they claim to be changing from a weight loss company to helping people lead healthier, happier lives. But they're still going to have to depend on selling packaged stuff to make the kind of dough they're used to.

OK, I'll get my soapbox off your thread!
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm

True, each person is different as to what amount of food and/or exercise their body would need to maintain their ideal weight.

I, too, remember the OptiFast reveal - she carted out "fat" in a little wagon and was so proud of her skinny jeans. I do imagine that she has destroyed her natural metabolism to a point that any weight loss will be temporary unless she truly makes some significant lifestyle changes

Having grown up poor, she has said that it is difficult to say NO to the good foods (like lobster dipped in real butter) now that she is at a place to afford them.

We shall get to watch her progress, I am certain. She has invested millions in the Weight Watchers company so her interest is not only personal but financial as well. I wish her the very best and do hope she is not a yo-yo Kirstie Alley as far as the programs go. That certainly cannot be healthy.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:08 pm

There is a website that allows people to bet on changing a habit or achieving something like weight loss. So many people were losing money by setting unrealistic weight loss goals that the site finally put limits on it! People think that money is a huge motivating factor but it turns out most people are not willing to do lots of things consistently for money. They might eat worms once on Survivor, but they won't make it a habit!

I think she might be setting herself up even worse, like some women who need to be thin for their work becoming bulimic. I was surprised to read in one interview how ashamed she was of her body, even after all her years of promoting self-esteem and self-love. Maybe this supposed new emphasis on health and balance will make a difference.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Oh, I browsed a bit more on the Oprah thing and found an article where she reported that she has already DOUBLED her money, as well as losing 15 lbs.

The rich get richer.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23