New Year's Resolution

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

moderatemeals

New Year's Resolution

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:07 am

Hi everyone -
I'm no stranger to No S. I've had success with it in the past. I actually think I'm either physically addicted to sugar or possibly a compulsive overeater. Luckily I don't seem to have a weight problem because I either have a fast metabolism or don't seem to go too overboard. I do eat sweets in secret though and tend to have terrible issues with emotional eating or eating and not enjoying what I'm eating -- just shoving it in my mouth. No S has always tamed that for me. However, I need to accountability of the boards to keep me on track because otherwise I just make excuses for starting tomorrow, etc. So I made my New Year's Resolution to be to stick with No S for the entire year. I'm also going to ditch the scale. Wish me luck....I'll start my logging tomorrow. Would love to have others join me in this resolution!! I love the support of these boards..they've always helped me so much in the past!

:)
lk

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 am

Good Luck with your goals! I hope you find what you need here. I'm sure your needs will change over the course of a year but luckily this is a flexible bunch.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks so much Gingerpie! I appreciate the support!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Hiya, what a great resolution! Looking forward to reading about your journey!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks eschano! the support and encouragement on these boards is so helpful!

Wed 1/7: SUCCESS!
wt: 121
breakfast: protein pancakes + raspberries
lunch: chicken + roasted green beans
dinner: turkey chili + cornbread + chips

A good start to the day. I'm trying to be sure I get enough protein in during the day in an effort to stave off my nighttime binge snacking. I know once I get through a few green days it becomes easier but boy is it hard for me right off the bat!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Thursday Jan 8: SUCCESS!
wt: 120.6
Breakfast:Oatmeal
Lunch: Turkey chili and chips
Dinner: Chipotle tacos and chips
Meal 4: bowl of cheerios with milk

Wednesday was a successful day! I'm so happy to have one under my belt. For me, the hardest part is just getting that initial few days under my belt. I find the night time part the hardest. I just ordered The Mood Cure by Julia Ross that apparently addresses some of reasons people snack or eat out of control (for me it's a short window of time...from 5-9pm but almost every day!) I think it talks a lot about serotonin levels, etc.
Last edited by moderatemeals on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Friday Jan 9
wt: 119.8
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:

Thursday was a good day though I had to add a 4th meal in at 9pm. I was absolutely starving and I am trying to avoid binges. I also wanted to sleep well and when I go to bed too hungry, many times I wake up in the middle of the night. But the day is marked as a success for me because I pretty much ate like a normal person!

I am LOVING Julia Ross' book The Mood Cure which is helping me address some of my nighttime anxiety and stress eating. She recommends natural supplements and it is working for me. I think I have low serotonin levels at nighttime which is why I stress eat on sweet foods.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Isn't nice when you start to feel like you are getting a handle on what is going on? I love the feeling that I'm addressing the issues even if imperfectly. So much nicer than that out-of-control-spinning-my-wheels feeling.

It sounds like you're doing great.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Monday Jan 12:
wt: 120.4

Breakfast (10am): Protein Pancakes + raspberries
Lunch:
Dinner:

This weekend was good and bad. A little out of control on Saturday and then was feeling pretty tired and gross on Sunday because of too much sugar Saturday. I ate pretty healthy yesterday though and stayed away from all sugar so today I feel much better.