Skelton's random 2015 check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Skelton

Skelton's random 2015 check-in

Post by Skelton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 am

Back to No S but with some preliminary tweaking. I've been around No S now for quite some time, at least a couple of years, and realise it's going to be a very long and slow haul for me but dealing with my food issues is more important than weight loss right now.

(If any newbies to No S read this post, please don't try what I'm doing - give vanilla No S a really good try before you attempt any tweaks/modifications. That's my best advice. )

To catch up where I'm at, I've been flip flopping all over the place with my food and this flip flopping, as ever, is caused by diet head. Although I'm obese, my weight has been pretty stable. Oh, except for when I dieted last autumn, stuck to the diet for about 8 days and then went on a post-diet binge that lasted for weeks and added 5 pounds back from where I started before the diet.
This is my pattern - a brief attempt at dieting and then a subsequent binge that lasts much longer than the diet did.
My weight is a problem, but as I said, my disordered eating is more of a problem.

I've tried vanilla No S lots of times, but I need to make some mods to make it work for me, although my eventual goal is to do vanilla No S.

The most important thing for me is to NOT PANIC when I slip up. Every time I've slipped up when doing No S I've started to panic and tell myself I have to go on a much more restrictive diet. So I start the diet but then that leads to an inevitable binge - the pattern I wrote about earlier.
I need to learn to 'mark it and move on' as I read about here.

So my 2015 Version of No S is this :

No S is 3 components. No sweets, no seconds, no snacks, except on S days. Sometimes.
For me, for now, I'm going to follow the first two, so no sweets and no seconds except on S Days.

However, for reasons I've gone into in prior posts here, I AM going to allow myself a maximum of 2 snacks a day, if more than 4 hours has passed since my last meal, and if the next meal is more than 2 hours away. Those snacks will be healthy snacks - a complex carb and a small amount of protein. So examples of my snacks will be 2tbsps of hummus and some celery, a small piece of cheese and pepper strips, a scoop of tuna salad with lettuce and tomato, etc. They will be SNACK sized.
My goal is to eliminate the morning snack within a couple of months, and then work on eliminating the afternoon snack afterwards so that I'm eventually full vanilla No S.

I've been very sedentary for a couple of years now, since I injured my knee. I'm now doing a lot better with the pain, so I'm ready to get more exercise. I plan to walk 20 mins a day, do some resistance training, and find a weekly yoga or pilates class.

My biggest challenge is to stick with this plan and not get tempted to try something different when the going gets tough.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Hello! A couple of people here have eliminated snacking in the way to describe. I'm sure it will work!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi eschano, good to hear from you again, I've just posted on your thread and then saw your post here :D
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue