here goes nothin'

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jbgnos

here goes nothin'

Post by jbgnos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 am

So, I've a loooonnnggg history with both diet and exercise. I won't bore you with the details, as they are many and varied, but the bottom line is that I eat well and love exercise, but am unhappy with my eating habits and size.

I bought the book and while it all sounds so easy peasy, this way of eating has provided major challenges to me so far. The one plate thing? That gets me. I'm not a "sseconds' person, but what I have a history of doing is eating too low in carbs or fat, and then eating/snacking myself way over calorie needs. I have a little weight to lose, but Im very interested in the moderation that this diet can teach us. If I prepare proper meals and don't over-exercise, I should not NEED snacks galore all over the place. We shall see.

Today is the first day in 5 that I ate three meals ON a freakin' PLATE. Reading through the book has helped me see how having an apple or other healthy fruit/veggie on the side of my plate just allows me to fill that plate more with other things! I have serious snacking and grazing habits that aren't serving me. I'm pretty ok with sugar twice per week, but i"m READY for my two S days. I am using Friday and Saturday as my S days this week, and probably every week because of my work schedule.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 am

Best of luck to you on your journey. I am also ready for my S days and have already planned the treats I'm eating this weekend, which I hope is not counterproductive:)

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32 pm

I'm sure planning your treats is fine, and may even be good because you're then not as likely to go willy-nilly all over the place! Let us know how it goes, Retrogirl :)

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Well, it's Friday and I was going to make today an S day because my schedule is a bit whacky and I've had N days for 6 straight, but I'm not sure yet. I have a meeting at noon which means I won't eat until 1 and that's late for me, so I thought it could be an S day for snacks, mostly. I love how the N days are workweek days and I'm a teacher, so it's a very regular food schedule for me.

Then weekends I tend to work out more, get out more and don't have regular eating times, so to avoid getting too hungry (and the subsequent face-plant in the pantry!) those are perfect for me to have S days on.

But it's spring break, so this has been a tougher week AND I started the whole thing when I was traveling, but that actually worked out well.

I thought I would need an S day today to accomodate not being around my kitchen and/or in places where there is enough good food to feed myself three solid meals, but guess what? I'm not that hungry!

I found this process kinda hard for the first week. I was hungry a lot and not making substantial enough meals, so ...yeah. Hungry a lot. But I think my body has gotten accustomed to this rather quickly, because I'm doing ok today, even though I just had a tough workout, I can wait til 1 to eat. YAY
Progress.
So, it's not an S day for me, yet. I have a wonky evening so if I have to snack to get through it, then I will, but otherwise I'd like to keep my two S days to weekends.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Keep at it, you'll get it figured out! I have learned that I need to have a decent amount of fat in my meals to keep me satiated for hours. For breakfast I eat eggs, because the yolk has fat that keeps me full. For lunch today I included a tablespoon of peanut butter on my plate because I was eating fruit and kefir mixed with some cereal, which had no fat and would not keep me full long. Just a tip that I learned. Maybe it would be worth a try?

Enjoy your S days this weekend!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm

yes to egg yolks and peanut butter :) Had both in my breakfast this a.m. (along with my kefir and cereal - we are twins!) and it held me through a prety intense hot yoga class and for almost SEVEN hours!

See? That's what I'm saying: I was eating meals sooo dang low in fat that I was getting hungry, then snacking on more non-substantial food (fat free popcorn, a piece of fruit) and I was never done, never not hungry, never moving on.
With this diet, I HAVE to eat enough (chronic UNDEReater, here, which has the opposite effect you'd expect after many years of it) because there is no snack coming. I like the "rules" because it takes the debating society out of it! That was lunch. Period. If it wasn't enough and I'm ready to chew off my own arm later, then I better learn from my mistakes!
And learning I am :)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Too funny about our food choices being similar! It's good stuff!

No S is awesome. I am so thankful for the guidelines. I know that some people say people that have struggled with food shouldn't have "rules" and just eat what they want, but that doesn't work for me. It causes me too much anxiety. So instead I found No S, which teaches me how to eat like a sensible human being. I can handle that! :)

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:27 am

yes, me too! I am learning how to build one plate so it serves my needs. And when it's gone, it's gone. it's only 4-6 hours til the next meal, and no one ever died in that time frame. As I said, I got SICK of being hungry, so started adding fat to the meals like a normal person, and ta-da! All good.

I like the rules because they take the negotiations out of it. I can internally talk myself into any snack or extra ("it's healthy", "I worked out", dinner was light...I got a million of 'em!). When there are rules, I follow them. The plate is gone. Game over. I like it :)

Today was my first S day and I enjoyed basically the same breakfast as usual, but it's a pain in the ass to put the small cereal bowl ON the plate, then the banana and eggs on there, too, so I just ate in seperate containers and none at all (nut buter out of the jar was a regular occurrence for me). It was fine, but I WANTED my lunch on a plate and had a bit of chocolate after. I put dinner on a plate, too, but had chips out of the bag and then frozen yogurt with candy on top for dessert. It was an uneventful S day and tomororw I"m sure I"ll go back to meals on plates, just adding a sweet at the end.
I was looking forward to a relaxed S day and actually found myself reverting back to the N day system I had and enjoyed. IN-TER-ES-TING!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:56 am

Just wanted to say welcome! You guys are doing great and quickly grasping all the wonderful benefits of NoS! Have a great Sunday!

Linda 😀
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 pm

jbgnos - I'm with you! After having one S day experience, I was missing the N day structure. I listened to Reinhard's podcast about the S day mod he calls No Solitary Snacking. I think that is a great strategy, and having a sweet or treat directly following one of the three meals (however many plates it may be on S days), would serve me well. I don't get any pleasure from eating extra food, just a lot of displeasure in the form of self-loathing and discomfort. I think I'm going to try the No Solitary Snacking today, unless a social situation comes up.

Have you read this blog yet? nosdiet.blogspot.com

I read it this week. I started at her first post and went through the whole darn thing. It is a great description of a day by day journey of the No S protocol (<--I refuse to call it a diet). I found it pretty insightful and she's a great writer.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:55 am

Final S day complete. I stuck with my regular breakfast and fit it all on one plate, with a small bowl (cereal) and ramekin (cottage cheese and nectarines) on it!
Lunh was one light plate and dinner I just had one chicken drumstick and a slice of cheese, annnndd......3/4 pint of Haagen Dasz chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Holy delicious!

Today went much better than yesterday. I left room at dinner to enjoy the dessert, and now it's done and I'm ready for the next 5 days of No S.

I feel lighter or like I look less bloated or something, but the scale is exactly where it was when I started, and it's only been one week, so...probably not!
The perpetual state of digestion is no longer present, so that alone could be it.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 am

Ok, ouch. THat was a day of hunger, from start til finish (even now). I didn't feel that I skimped on breakfast. it was
cottage cheese with kiwi
1 egg, 3 whites and LF cheddar
banana + Almond butter (about 3T)

Lunch was deinitely too small, so I made a bigger one for tomorrow. No problem there.
Dinner was as much food as I can fit on my happy litlte plate, but wow that was a tough day.

I am going to add starchy carbs to my breakfast tomorrow. That always helps, I just didn't really feel like cereal but I'll add those tomorrow for better satiety.

Today was my first day back at work. I'm an elementary school teacher and I'm always much, much hungrier at work than at home on weekends.

I still made it without snacking and I'll be fine til breakfast, even though I could eat more right now, I should be ok. I'm just going to suck it up like I did last week and not repeat my under-eating mistake.
GAH! That was a little rough

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 am

I'm right there with you! Underate all day & dealing with hunger pangs. Monday's tend to be like that and usually I remember to load up my plates a little more but forgot to do that today!

Good for you for getting through it (I barely did). Tomorrow will go easier!

Linda 😀

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm

So sorry to hear about your day of hunger! Great idea on adjusting breakfast to see if that works for you. Amazing job on sticking to the three meals even though you were dealing with hunger. That's a lot to be proud of!

Let us know how today goes! Good luck!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks, Ladies
I'm having such a nice experience on this forum :)

I'll let you know how today goes

KathieM

Post by KathieM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm

It's a bit of a learning curve to figure out exactly how much food to put on the plate isn't it! You're doing really well. Thanks for describing your experiences. I'm learning lots! All the best!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:23 am

Today went better. .Still experienced some hunger but it was managable compared to the day before. I hope tomorrow's even better still! That is what I found to be true last week: Tuesday was better than Monday, Wed beat the pants off Tuesday, and so on. Saturday and Sunday were the easiest days, go figure :0

I figure I must be losing weight, even it's slowly, because after every meal I finish, I know I would have had more if I wasn't working on No-S. Like right now I could eat, but I'll also be fine til the morning.

Hope you all had a good day, too!

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:51 am

I'm learning too! Thanks for sharing. Just finished my Day 2, successfully, (hoorah!) and thinking about plans for tomorrow, since it is my day off work and hubby will be out of town. Need to make a plan so there is no choice.

Sounds like you are doing well and learning lots. Good system. Makes so much sense. Keep up the good work!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:35 pm

It's already Thursday which means the S's are lurking riiigghhhhttt around the corner! Just in time for chocolate bunnies, thankyouverymuch! :)

I have had a good week. I am upping my meals in fat and calories so that I'm not starving all day. It's working, but I still experience a good deal of hunger, about 2 hours before every meal, but that's ok because i'm seeing my body change!
it's a weird mind-game when I look at my plates. They seem like SO MUCH food to me, even though it's all healthy and even though it's one 9" plate or so...but the thing is, I would eat bird-like portions of low fat food before, and then eat mini meals all day long. I'm sure I am getting less calories now (and more nutrition, for sure, because they're whole meals and things like air-popped popcorn or chips don't make the plate as they take up too much valuable real estate :) So, anyway, it sure SEEMS like a lot but I'm experience way more hunger on this plan and seeing my bloat and fat move from me (slowly, but I see it. I weigh on Fridays but even if it says I weigh the exact same amount, I'm HAPPY with the results and am well aware that the scale will follow, at some point). Anyway, all this to say that there really IS something to seeing all your food on a plate. Even if I'm ravenous at 10 today (as I've been this week), I know that was PLENTY of food to hold a person til lunch, and PLENTY of fat to boot. So, I will not die. I will not perish or faint from the hunger. I just remember that visual of that plate full of eggs with cheese and sour cream (1 egg, 3 whites), a bowl of bran flakes and granola, and a banana with a GLOB of almond butter. I'm full but not uncomfortable and that is plenty of breakfast til noon. I suspect my hunger cues are even largely habit and when my body is used to getting food, and that this (3 meals) will become my new normal soon, at which time the iterim hunger will subside. I hope

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:49 pm

I love reading your insights, because I can nod my head in agreement as I read a long. Yep, me too, yep, that too, yes, I'm right there with you! LOL!

I am feeling much more confident about the S days coming up compared to last week. Much more relaxed since they went pretty good! We can do this!

I've been having stomach growls about 2 hours before meals too, but it's nothing that can't be tolerated. It's amazing how much more enjoyable meals are when one is hungry for them.

I was a snacker just like you, eating throughout the day. Breakfast, and then MUST have a snack at 10, then lunch at noon and it better not be late! Don't forget the 3:30 snack to keep me feeling hunger before dinner so I don't get crabby between now and then. Gosh, what a mess that was. This is so much easier than all that nonsense.

Congrats on your success! I am so happy to hear your thoughts on happiness and scale weight. Even if it's not different this Friday, it will come.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Um...WHOOPS
Over shot breakfast a bit today. A little too full and then not properly hungry for lunch today. But I ate anyway becuase I knew I'd need to. i am a teacher, so I can't just whip out my lunch whenever I feel like, while I'm manning 20 nine year olds! So, I did each lunch and I ate all of it, but didn't need to eat all of it. Live and learn.

So, basically I've been over-full all day and not happy with that, but it's still a success as I ate one (big-ass, haha) plate each meal and I'll just wait til I'm hungry to eat dinner - no biggie.

This will sound strange, but I am used to being hungry all the time. I overate doing this and I'm eating less now but the MEALS are bigger. Even this a.m's big breakfast was probably less than I took in over the usual breakfast, snacks, and all that.

This has been my first week trying no s while working and I have been pretty uncomfortably hungry by lunch each day, so i'm proud of myself for eating enough at breakfast, finally. I will scale back some at breakfast tomorrow, and hope to hit that noon meal just right - like hungry for 30-60 mins before meals seems optimal for me.

once I get the same breakfast over and over down pat that works, I'll be able to hit it right with other mixtures of foods that I like (yogurt, smoothies, etc) as well. There's a steep learning curve here and probably even more so for us restricter types That darn restricting that we did to stay slim does not keep us that way, oddly enough. There is overeating where there is undereating. That's just the survival mechanism of the body.

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:16 am

I'm nodding my head too! :D

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

Way to take care of your hunger! This post made me smile. :) Yes, as a teacher you are one busy lady and your breaks are limited. You definitely took care of that yesterday and I'm glad you feel proud about that, because you absolutely should. Nice work!!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Another successsful day today. Tomorrow I weigh myself, but I'm not too attached to that number (usually, we'll see) so I think I'm ok.

I managed from Breakfast to lunch with perfect timing. I was hungry around 11 but not violently so (ha) and lunch was good at noon. It held me for about 5 hours each time and that's exacctly what I was shooting for.

Meal times and schedules are thrown off on weekends, so we'll see what these two S days bring. I'll eat a bit more, I'm sure, than usual but want to stick to three meals a day. I will allow seconds if I want and sugar that I WILL want, but snacking holds no appeal for me anymore, so that is not part of the plan. I might get dark chocolate and peanut butter for my treat tomorrow and some fun Easter goodies on Sunday

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:07 am

Great job!!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:58 am

Well, dinner gets a red mark for today, if I can figure out how to use the Habitcal. I had it, but now i've got to go back in and figure it out again.

I had an artichoke that didn't fit on my plate, but I wanted it and ate it anyway. Most of my plate was veggies, anyway. I wasn't very hungry so it was pretty low on fat and protein (and even carbs, I guess) but it was fine and tomorrow is an S-day and I think I'll make it :)

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:42 pm

It's an S day and I started it with a short workout and breakfast, all on one plate. It's just something I enjoy now and there is no reason for me to change it on weekends.
I weighed myself and down 3.0 lbs in 2 weeks. NICE! I don't have a lot of weight to lose and like Kittison posted in her journal, the release from food obsession is almost enough! The weight is helpful, too, though, as I'm about 10 lbs over where I feel comfortable (make that 7 now :) and about 15 over where I really like to be, but not sure I want to fight for that number anymore. Unless, of course, this system gets me there without a fight as I feel like it is so DOABLE !

I ate the same breakfast as the weekdays and I'm pretty full. It's important to me that i"m not too hungry before lunch at work, because I teach 3rd grade and it requires much patience and energy. I have neither when I'm uncomfortably hungry, so I eat a pretty big breakfast. B to L has always been my most hungry time. I found a breakfast that holds me til lunch well and then lunch is smaller and dinner is the smallest and that worked for me last week

This weekend I think I'll toy with smaller meals and I how I might be able to cut some down just a touch and not feel the hunger. Because if I get hungy on the weekends it's not as bad AND I can just have a snack if I need to. So, the S days will be exercises in experimenting with the size and constitution of the plates. This diet works perfectly in that respect.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Great job on your success this past two weeks! 3 lbs down is awesome!!

It sounds like you are figuring out meals that work for you. That is great. It's going to make this so much more doable for you.

Enjoy your S day!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it!
We are having a slow, rainy (kinda) day at home and I've enjoyed a walk and a yoga class already. Two meals down the hatch and so far this weekend I have done no snakcking and no "seconds". It's kind of an effort for me to get all my food onto one plate sometimes so i skip trying to do that some meals on the weekends but whatever I'm eating, I eat and don't go back for more, even though most times I could!

I did eat almost the whole pint of ice cream (premium - major fat and calories) last night after a smaller dinner. I would like not to do that next weekend, so I will buy something else to try. It didn't make me feel good last night OR this a.m. as dairy messes with me in large amounts like that.
Anyway, last weekend I ate sweets AFTER I was totally full (cuz of the "Now's my chance" syndrome) so at least I didn't do that!

Also, I lightened my breakfast up some. While the bigger one keeps me fuller better, I think I'd rather feel comfortable after eating and wait longer with the hunger than feel obnoxiously full when I'm done and avoid too much hunger before lunch. It's these details that will help me and that free my mind (even though it might not sound like it right now ) from obsession with food.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:20 am

jbgnos wrote:... some meals on the weekends... whatever I'm eating, I eat and don't go back for more, even though most times I could!
...I lightened my breakfast up some. While the bigger one keeps me fuller better, I think I'd rather feel comfortable after eating and wait longer with the hunger than feel obnoxiously full when I'm done and avoid too much hunger before lunch.
That's great, jbgnos! It sounds like you are really finding your way, and making NoS your own! It's getting the NoS structure applied in a way that fits your lifestyle and goals, that is the key to the whole operation, I think.
I wish you the best!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 pm

I am also struggling with the "now's my chance" mentality. Hopefully the longer we do it, the more it will go away. I noticed this weekend that I didn't want chocolate. Before, I would have eaten it anyway because I mentally see chocolate as the ultimate in indulgence. But, I am starting to notice how everything tastes instead of putting food on an indulgence spectrum. I think this gradual move away from mindless eating will be what brings freedom in the end. From what you have said about not eating past full, it seems you are discovering the same thing. From an indulgence perspective, eating past full is premium, but if you think about it, why would you want to? So much pain-and pleasure and reward is supposed to be the point. Good luck to you on your journey, have a great N week!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 pm

THanks for all the replies
it's so awesome to not be doing this alone.

yes, the first S weekend didn't go well. Not because of any reason other than I didn't feel good in the tummy from it. So, I adjusted. It needs more adjustment but that's ok, too! I consider Haagen Dasz ice cream to be the ultimate indulgence, but it doesn't feel good on my stomach, so it's really not. At least when I ate it I was hungry and enjoyed it.

This is going to take quite a while to figure out, but I like that there are so many guidelines in place, that I'll be able to!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:53 am

Monday and another N day. All green on my habit cal today but I learned something: Salad takes up too much room without enough calories and density. So, I am hungry here after dinner, but I"ll live. I had starch (squash) and protein (ham and a piece of tofu) on the plate as well, so I'll live til morning but I've not had salad since I started because of this and now I know why!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Nice job on another green day! I haven't been eating salads either, but I am going to be trying to include more vegetables, either sauteed or roasted in olive/coconut oil. I think the fat will help with fullness. I did buy lettuce yesterday too for salads, and when I have salads I'm going to use regular dressing, not fat free, hoping it will have the same affect with being able to keep hunger at bay.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:54 am

I want sweets!
ok, we got the whining out of the way, time for more positives....

First off, I've had a salad with every dinner since I posted about it, and it's fine as long as I'm adding protein and fat. I've been really enjoying them but I am VERY hungry when I wake up. It's about making choices, this whole thing is, isn't it? you want the salad, have it. But that takes room from other, more calorie dense foods. Do you want the salad MORE than satiety, Jbgnos? Then have it. You get to decide. Here's your plate. A blank slate, so to speak. Have at it.
It's fun to see how I have to make the decisions, and then live with them. I'm really learning how to feed my body!

So, I have taken to this new habit of taking bites and licks of spoons while I'm plating up my meal. That stops now, cuz it's not a green day (in my book) and I want green days. Just noticed I was doing that.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:07 am

Nice job on noticing the licks and bites while you're plating up your meal. I feel the same way as you do. I don't like that I do that behavior, so I too pay close attention to when those things happen.

I'm glad you are eating salad when you want it. I had it for lunch today.

Keep up the green days, you are doing great!!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:27 am

Been kind of a boring food week: I have had nearly the exact same lunch every. single. day (and breakfast, too, now that I think about it). I have enjoyed my meals and am just basically pleased that they are keeping me full for long enough, but I'm so looking forward to my S-Days :)

I have been keeping a fit bit on and I walk usually 7-10 miles a day. I walk my dog in the a.m and that knocks out a lot of miles (he's speedy and big :) and then I'm an elementary school teacher, so no desk job here. I often go for long walks when I get home or watch a show on the treadmill.

What I find intereesting about this is that I used to be a hard-core intensity workout person. I'm talking heavy weights, high-intensity intervals, all that. It took my a VERY long time to figure out that those types of cardio were disenabling me to control my appetite. I was just out of control hungry all the time. with the new walks-only (and yoga, and kettlebells, and trampoline and hula hoop, but not much intensity training - maybe once per week), I am able to sit with my hunger much easier. It's great
Kinda like it took FOR. FREAKIN. EVER to figure out that it doesn't matter WHAT I eat, as long as the poritons are controlled.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:37 am

Really enjoying your thread. Seems like you have a great, easy going attitude and are doing fantastic. I have really hard time not taking little unplated tastes as I'm prepping meals. It's hard because I basically cook and clean up after four ppls meals 2-3x/day. That's a lot of exposure to food!

Anyway it's almost the weekend--enjoy! ðŸ‘

Linda

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:35 pm

I have had nearly the exact same lunch every. single. day (and breakfast, too, now that I think about it). I have enjoyed my meals and am just basically pleased that they are keeping me full for long enough, but I'm so looking forward to my S-Days
That sounds like you've got your intelligent dietary defaults going! LOL, I love the lingo around here.

I agree with you on the exercise. I haven't been running much these last three weeks and I do think that's helping keep my hunger manageable. Primarily it's been kettlebells and then a few miles of walking most days of the week.

Have a good day!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:42 am

Intelligent dietary defaults? I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds so.....um...intelligent! :)

I decided to make Friday and Saturdays S days. Last weekend I really wanted to do that, too, but stuck with Sat and Sunday for Easter. This week I was majorly craving sweets, but I managed to wait til today. We had a walk-a-thon at work and I did some kettlebells this a.m, underpacked lunch and...well? There ya go. It turned into a rather decadent S-night (chocolate!) for me.

My S-days so far have only consisted of dessert and only after dinner. That's all I miss. Snacking doesn't make me feel good, digestion-wise. And seconds are counter-productive to me because I am learning how to make a plate with enough protein, fat and carbs to hold me for 5 hours. Seconds defeats all that. If I take care and do it right, there is no need for seconds. So, it's the sweets that i love on weekends, and only after dinner, so my S days could really probably be Friday-Sunday nights, after dinner sweets only. But that seems dicey somehow so I think I'll stick to Friday and Saturday unless there's a Sunday event. For now, I'm doing really well on the two days so I'll keep it around until I've lost the weight I want to, then maybe Friday-Sunday just desserts!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 am

There is a thread in the General Discussion about Intelligent Dietary Defaults. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1732 There is a podcast episode explaining them too, and I think Reinhard talks about them in the book. :) You'll have to check it out, but I think you've got it down.

Love the MOD you're making, it sounds like it's going to fit your lifestyle/schedule really well.

Congrats on a great week!!

*Edited, I forgot the word week.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Ok, so learning more and more every day, here.

I can just scratch that last post from myself right off the books. I realized what happened. I got too hungry and then ate after dinner (food, then dessert). It is not an S day on Friday and I wanted to change it because I goofed.

I thought a lot about what I've read here, and in the book and heard no the podcasts and I remembered that that sort of thing is JUSTIFYING the goof, making amends for it so it can "be ok" again. Or at least "be ok" now. It was not planned. I still want Fridays to maybe start S days, but Im nowhere near needing mods yet, so I'm sticking to the S days being S days. Just cuz I goofed does not mean I should switch days

I should take the red HabitCal mark, and carry on. That's what I'll do. My S days are in no way epic, as I've mentioned. They are dessert days so that's how I'll keep them and next week I'lll not let myself get quite so hungry so I can go the whole five days as N days, not 4.75 days :)

All good. LEarning as I go. I'm wishing I didn't do that last night and that's the POINT....so onward and forward. Today and tomorrow are S days. No adjusting for my own purproses. It doesn't work that way

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Hey you 😬 I totally get what your saying about switching your day to match your actions... You need to do what makes it work for you... I decided what you decided... when it's red it's just that...RED... big deal...brush myself off and keep on going. There is truthfulness in that action and that always feels better then when your pulling a fast one on yourself! LOL !!!
That being said some people here, that have really inspired me, do their No S with Friday and Saturday being their S days. Again what ever works for you...have a great Sundayyyyyy!
Kindness is the only way.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:19 pm

It takes a lot of discipline/maturity to be honest with yourself out like that jbnos, nice job!

nbh76 is right, there are several people that change their S days to fit their life. I was reading back on the threads, and I think I saw one person have Monday and Friday as their S days, and she was very successful. I believe her reason was that that way an S day was never far away. I think that's quite clever, because come Friday morning, I am really ready for an S day.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Weekend's been great so far, thanks for asking! :) I enjoyed a hot yoga class yesterday, followed by a shopping trip, some reading and a nap. Glorious Finished off the sunny afternoon with a long walk accompanied by Serial Podcast - so good! I heard about it, but never listtened and it was entertaining as heck.
Today I'm off for a hike with my friend and then more rest and relaxation!

I made yesterday an S day like I talked about, but didn't "take" it. I bought some Green & Black's Organics chocolate bars to enjoy, but I didn't have them and I don't do snacks or seconds, so there ya have it. Today is my S day, too, and I'm sure I'll get to those a bit later

I do like the idea of two S days stretched apart, since it seems like I'm WAY ready by Friday morning, like you, Kitt. I might just change them, but it needs to be a pre-determined act, not an effort to clean up what happened. We'll see.

I REALLY like what you said, nbh76 about it's a red mark on the habit cal. BIG DEAL! So true :) I've not had a week with no red days yet, but the missteps have been really small, other than this week. I still LOVE trying for green days and I'll get there. It's getting easier, but I'm still very hungry for the meals I have and wake up very, very hungry, so I figure that's good.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Happy Monday, y'all. Mondays have always been kinda nice re-focus days for me since weekends can be fun and unstructured. I love the routine and predictability of a work week, and now, a few N days strung together.

I found that at all three meals yesterday, I got a little too full so I cut back on my standard breakfast (for which I wasn't as hungry) today. I'm a little afraid that I'll be starving by lunchtime, but if I am then I'll note that and adjust. I do think since I've lost a little weight, I may not need quite as much food. I definitely had an active weekend, so tha'ts not it. Anyway, I subbed out some of the fat and carbs for other things (yogurt, apple instead of full fat cottage cheese and cereal) and we'll see how it goes

I had an over-the-top S day and a mild one. I'm lookin' to get both days down to really managable, but that will take time and has not happened yet. I'm pretty hungry on N days before meals (like really really hungry) so I might be going into the S days too underfed, I'm not sure. I'll watch all that. This is like a moving target, isn't it? cuz things keep changing!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 pm

jbgnos wrote: This is like a moving target, isn't it? cuz things keep changing!
Ain't that the truth! But it's all a good learning experience.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 am

Couple of good days under my belt this week. Mondays and Tuesdays used to be so so tough for me, but yesterday was managable and today even more so. I just keep at it, and it's such a great reward: the absence of obsession: what should I eat? When? More? Will I be hungry too soon? Maybe I should pack a snack? I can't go here or there because I can't go that long without food,...on and on..AD. NAUSEUM!

no more, though :) it's a matter of the next (heaping) plate is around the corner. No one died of starvation in between meals! I just love that. So, whatever I did well or not well I can repeat or avoid at the next meal because this one is over and there is a non-negotiabel aspect to this system for me

Hope all is well with all of you as well

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 am

No one died of starvation in between meals!
And here's to enjoying our heaping plates! I am so happy how things are going for you. For both of us actually, since we did start so close together! There will be times when it doesn't always come so easily, but I am embracing it right now and I can definitely see you are too. It's just the best thing ever!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 am

I had a nice week. It sped on by, and the hunger was more doable than the last three weeks. It's getting easier, but Im definiely hungry before meals. I've finally learned how to feed myself to hold on to satiety for 5 hours or so. It's great.
I have a very regimented weekday schedule because my job is goverened by period, bells, and unvarying meal times.

Tomororw I'm off to a fun day (NBA Playoff game #1 :) so I'll have to reverse-engineer my meals to be hungry at 10am for brunch. I will eat at regular breakfast time, because I am very hungry at breakfast. I will I guess eat abotu half of what I usually eat, because I'm always really ready for lunch at noon, but it'll be 7am meal, 10am, 4pm so that's totally off my usual schedule. Snacks are part of the deal on an S day, so it's not problem. I do like to keep it to 3 meals a day, though, since my body seems to have gotten used to that and I like it. We'll see.
The beautiful thing is it doesn't really matter...it'll be an S-DAy

Last week I was VERY hungry by Friday night and I went off after dinner. This Friday I made sure to get enough (a little more than usual) at each meal and it went much better. Progress over here! Hoorah

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:30 am

Yay you're making great progress! Have fun tomorrow! I like to keep my 3 meals with just a couple of small treats in between each meal. Do what works for you!

Linda

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Weight today after two weeks?....exactly the same! I was admittedly surprised by this because my clothes seem looser and my body looks smaller, but it's ok with me. I know from past daily weighing that my fluctuatons are large, so who knows if I was down some earlier in the week or what not? it doesn't matter, though. I'm feeling great and doing well and that is all I care about!

I also have the firm belief that maintaining weight loss (I'm down 3 lbs) is an art that has to be learned, as well. I've been trying to lose those 3 pounds for a long time and would lose them, gain them back, lose them and gain them back. They were gone 2 weeks ago and they're STILL gone today. That's a win.

I realize that if I want to lose some more (I do, but not much. I have about 10 pounds total I'd like to kick and that may take a looonnnggg time because I'm not really 10 lbs 'overweight, per se) then I'll have to find a place to comfortably shave off some calories, without it being a deprivation and without it being too hard. Im most certainly not overeaeting most meals now, but I do know places I can shore it up IF I want to. IF. Cuz it may not be worth it to me to get that lean. It in fact WONT be worth it to me if I have to struggle for it.

I've been about the weight I want to get to without angst before, so I'll see if I can get there again. "Before", though, isn't now :) I'm very realistic about that.

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:58 pm

S-day yesterday went well. I ate just what I wanted. I have seen a pattern that Saturdays tend to be higher calorie days for me, but then Sunday is essentially an N day with a small terat. That seems to be what my body needs and likes, so i'm just observing the trends and noting them.

Today I had a smoothie with my breakfast. I like smoothies but in the work week they just take up too much space in my stomach without enough fat and calories so I'm hungry too soon.

This just means I get a choice: I can have a smoothie in the week (I can do anything I want, I'm a grown adult, I remind myself) but then that means 3 meals are impossible and I'm hungry all day and eating way more and messing with the habits I'm trying to make here, or I can save Smoothies (salads, too) for S-days and enjoy them then.

For now at least, they're not SO good or SO irreplacable that I wish to jeopardize my N-day consistency with them

I'ts really as simple as that

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:10 pm

jbgnos wrote:I've been trying to lose those 3 pounds for a long time and would lose them, gain them back, lose them and gain them back. They were gone 2 weeks ago and they're STILL gone today. That's a win.
Hi jbgnos- That IS a win! Congratulations.
I know the feeling of losing and regaining the same 3# (or 5# or 30#, to tell you the truth)!
It is great to lose a little bit at a time and keep it off and perhaps then go down a little bit more. I think most often the weight lost the fastest has a tendency to come right back on, so slow and steady winning the race is a great way to go.
That also sounds like a good strategy to keep smoothies and salads for S days, since you see they make you tend to want to eat more times in the day. Good for you. Awareness is always helpful, yeah?
-Sonya

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:16 pm

It seems we are on a similar path! I just wrote a response to you on my thread saying how our S days are pretty much the same.

I'm so glad that No S is going well for you. Nice job of weighing the pros and cons of having a smoothie during the week. I am thinking that I will be saving peanut butter for the weekend. During lunch last week, I often had an apple with peanut butter, along with a source of protein and vegetables. I think it might have been just a bit too much. Maybe the days that I workout I will include it, but otherwise I think it needs to stay on the weekend. I am curious to see how I will feel in the afternoon if I cut it out.

I hope you have a great rest of the weekend!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:09 pm

what made you feel the peanut butter on the apple was too much? Not hungry for regular meals at the regular time? Too full after meals/? Just curious

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:21 pm

The only thing that makes me think of the PB being too much is fat loss. It was satisfied for many hours, but I was absolutely hungry for dinner time. Thank you for helping me question my beliefs/diet brain. It's something that just won't go away for good, the pesky thing!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:47 am

So glad your S days are going well! I go back and forth on the smoothies too. Seems like such a healthy fresh way to start the day but often they're not enough to sustain me through lunch. One thing that helps me is to add a little protein powder or peanut butter or yeah just save em for S days!

Have a great week!

Linda 😀

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Checkin' in here after a while break. I was going to try to check in daily, but the wonderful thing about the No-S diet is that it just goes along and beomes routine so easily. It never became routine or easy for me to be low carb, vegetarian, paleo, all that stuff! I went to post here several times and it always was going to be the same thing: "doing great, feeling fine" so I didn't.

I just wanted to share that what I really enjoy about the S days (other than everything!) is that I can eat smaller meals. I know that sounds funny, but I have to eat quite a bit and get really full to hold me for 5 hours during the weekdays. I've never done that before, so it's a litlte uncomfortable, more so psychologically than physically, really. I don't get over stuffed, but really full. For years before this, I would just eat enough to remove my hunger. Problem there is that it comes back very, very quickly.

So, on S-days, I do like to have several small meals a day, like 4 instead of 3. it's grat because I never feel full full and I get to eat a bit more,, overall.

Also, I have to keep work days (aka N days) pretty stable at breakfast and lunch. I don't veer far off my usual because they work to keep me full and I don't want to get too miserably hungry at work. But on S days I can kind of fiddle with lowering my portions and see if and how long that holds me, so that I can try to gradually decrease portions on N days, eventually here.
My weight is stable with the 3 inital pounds lost, nothing more yet but I feel in control and happy, and lean!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm

I was going to try to check in daily, but the wonderful thing about the No-S diet is that it just goes along and becomes routine so easily.
Love to hear this! I was having a similar thought. I was also thinking this forum would be a lot busier if this way of life was a challenge. But it really all that challenging (in my personal experience) once you start developing the habit. If it was ultra restrictive like Whole 30, Low Carb, you name it, then people would be swarming here for support because they would all be hanging on for dear life to follow the difficult restrictions. The ease in which No S fits into daily life is pretty awesome!

Mariposa1127

Post by Mariposa1127 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Sounds like your having some great success!! Great Job!

I know for me what really made it start working was realizing that it's OK to feel hungry because another meal is on the way.

Great Job!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 am

Yeah, brilliant job!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Mon May 11, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks, guys. I have not checked in a long time, but (or because?) the diet continues to prove effective and simple for me.

I've learned a lot and tried several different variations, but largely I stick with vanilla No-S. I have decided that Friday and Sunday are better S days than Sat and Sunday. After an S day, because it tends to be more food than I'm used to, I can easily and happily but an N day. I don't even like two S days together. Also, Fridays and particularly Friday nights are times when I'm ready for a sweet, and some let up on the other rules.

I will weigh myself again this week. Jeans are fitting better and I can see changes in the mirror. I have a tape measurement from before NO S so I'll take those, too. I initially lost 3 pounds, then bounced around there for quite a while, but I definitely look and feel slimmer now, so we shall see