Lovedby2

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Life can be so up and down. My doctor changed my Fibromyalgia medicine and it sent me into a tale spin for a solid week. I stayed green on No S but my old habits of putting off eating crept back up. I didn't feel like exercising and I slept a lot. So, as of today I am feeling semi normal again. Today is an S day for me so as of tomorrow I am going to try to start eating regular meals. My habit is to put off breakfast until sometimes 2:00. Then I end up eating an unsatisfying lunch of almonds and figs or something late in the day and then I am not really that hungry for dinner. I have been doing this forever. Part of it is not planning. I just grab whatever there is, which is unsatisfying. I appreciate No S because it has a way of revealing your problem areas beautifully. It is truly amazing how habits can dictate our direction, good or bad. Food for thought.
Always learning.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm

It is truly amazing how habits can dictate our direction, good or bad.
I hear ya' girlfriend!

I found this quote from Aristotle and I love it: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Oh, of only I could live up to it.

eschano

Re: Lovedby2

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 11:03 am

Lovedby2 wrote:I appreciate No S because it has a way of revealing your problem areas beautifully. It is truly amazing how habits can dictate our direction, good or bad. Food for thought.
Very interesting food for thought! It must be hard to struggle with Fibromyalgia. Hang in there. It's all about experimentation.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021