DSTSS's Round-two check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DSTSS

DSTSS's Round-two check-in

Post by DSTSS » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 am

I'm baaaaack!

Had my first round of No-S with great success.

Went on vacation and blew it all to smithereens!

So starting anew today. A little more confident that it's not too hard. A little more certain that I need to keep this going, despite vacations or what have you. Still so much to learn.

Day 2.1 - SUCCESS

osoniye

Re: DSTSS's Round-two check-in

Post by osoniye » Tue May 05, 2015 4:17 am

DSTSS wrote:Went on vacation and blew it all to smithereens!
Welcome back, DSTSS!
I remember your amusing comments about overpacking for jury duty.
I've been at this a long time, and still find vacations a struggle with derailing my progress. I'm surprised at how much weight I'm capable of gaining in just a few short weeks. But I keep coming back and restarting, and I hope that my next vacation will see some much more moderate eating.
I wish you the best!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Wed May 06, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks for stopping by Sonya!

Guess that's the point, we just gotta keep comin' back!! I'm hoping to get to the point when those kinds of episodes are the exception rather than the rule. And you are right ... it is so darn easy to gain quickly!

Glad I stopped here today ... I was having a mental battle about a snack. Now I know I can delay until suppertime ... only an hour from now. Whew!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Wed May 06, 2015 12:47 pm

It's great that you're getting back on track. It will be easier this time because you have already started building the habit. Good luck!!

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Wed May 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks Kittson!

Day 2:2 SUCCESS

Whew! That was a hard one.

Do you ever feel like Dr. Jekyll :) and Mr. Hyde :twisted: ? I am so virtuous in the morning, and have such high aspirations. Good thing.

But Mr. Hyde started to make an appearance in the afternoon, and I struggled with myself until I went to bed.

I learned a few things though:
1) I need to make sure to get more PROTEIN earlier in the day. Didn't get much at lunch yesterday, and was feeling headachy and physically ill by the time dinner rolled around. If I eat more protein, waiting for a meal is much easier (and more pleasant)!
2) Maybe the most important thing I learned is that:

The most powerful self-esteem tool I have is keeping a promise to myself.

So often I let Mr. Hyde (or my inner brat) rule the day. But when I remain true to the promise I've made to myself in the morning, I find I've accomplished much more than sticking to my diet. I've increased my willpower muscle. I feel good about myself. I feel stronger and more determined to do it again.

So here's to another day of keeping a promise to myself, another No S success! :P

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 06, 2015 3:00 pm

SO well said! Today is day 1 for me.... and I know my Mr. Hyde will be coming out later in the day. Keeping my promise to myself will build that muscle....I LOVE that!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed May 06, 2015 3:08 pm

DSTSS wrote:So here's to another day of keeping a promise to myself, another No S success! :P
Here's to you, DSTSS, and another day of keeping a promise to yourself!
That's really encouraging, and so true- we build up an integrity bank and learn that our word to ourselves counts.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Thu May 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Day 2.3 SUCCESS! (with a new mod)

I know Vanilla S is the best way to go when getting back into the habit, but I've created a modification for myself this go-around.

I was reading the sticky post topic on mods ... and found FAT - fruit anytime. :D

We happen to have a few fruit trees and bushes growing in our yard, and right now the blackberries are in prime production mode. Soon we'll have peaches, apricots, figs, plums ... all tree ripened and luscious.

I am not willing to miss out on the taste of sun-warmed, perfectly ripe fruit picked seconds ago. It's just such a source of pleasure and is a huge blessing to us. Soooo --

My mod: HGFAT = Home-grown fruit anytime!
That is not to mean anytime, really ... just when I am out harvesting or sharing a bowl of berries with my friends. I'm not going to allow myself to eat fruit just as a snack ... but more of an occasion. I think I can manage it, but I'll watch for a slippery slope effect, and re-eval if needed.
[/b]

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm

Wow....I am coming over!! Home grown fruit..... sounds so awesome!!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Sounds like a healthy mod :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Tue May 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Oops. First fail yesterday. Inner brat/Mr Hyde ruled the day.
Back on track today.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm

No worries! Sometimes its good to get that first fail under your belt and realize it's not the end of the world.

Mark it & move on--you got this!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Wed May 13, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks Linda! Off to a better start. Now time to get dinner started so I don't think I need a snack!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 am

The best thing with NoS is that a success is only every a meal away.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu May 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Also, NoS is all about delaying the good stuff, not cutting it out altogether.

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Fri May 15, 2015 12:19 am

Okay .. I'm really struggling. 3 fails this week. Think I can get through today with a success, but I'm questioning everything. A little more stress than usual going on in my life right now, so I suppose I'm doing the emotional eating thing, something I'd really like to deal with better than I do.

Hope to come back here with a better report. :?