Rachel's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bean&Sprout

Rachel's Check-In

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:30 pm

At the end of my first month (of my 2nd go-round), I've lost 6.2 pounds. I'm quite pleased. Lots of pleasure in the month, and very little pain (no pain, really, just discomfort for a few hours until my next meal). Three fails, all of them relatively minor, and no NWS days.

I'm not sure how much I'll be checking in, but I wanted to start a running record, beyond Habitcal. There were a few days in the last month where I had a thought or two about the process, and wish I had made a space to record them.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:35 pm

June 2015 - 3 fails (none major), 6.2 pounds lost:
:) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :)
:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :)
:oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

July 2015 - One fail, relatively minor; Two NWS days. 1.4 pounds lost:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8)
:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

August 2015 - 13 fails; 2 NWS days; 3.8 pounds gained (honestly, I was relieved when I stepped on the scale, and it wasn't worse):
8) 8) :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: 8) 8)
8) 8) :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :oops:
8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops:
8) 8) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
8) 8) :oops:

September 2015 - 5 fails; 3 NWS days; 4.2 pounds lost:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :oops:
8) 8) :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bean&Sprout on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 am

I had 3 fails too swuddly. Doesn't sound major for you though.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh, that clean-up time. That used to be a big one for me!

Sounds like you're doing well!
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 pm

So, I'm more than halfway through month two, and it's going well. I've faced some potentially challenging situations, and have stuck to plan pretty well. I was home for a week of vacation with my daughter, and I kept the week green, with one, planned, NWS day on Friday. I was so proud of myself, to be honest. Historically, vacation time (even if it's a stay-cation), has been a non-stop eat-fest. I enjoyed my extra S day, but I'm so grateful it was just one, not five. :)

It's been a busy month--the 4th of July holiday, two weddings on back-to-back weekends, and this weekend a trip across the state to see my best friend and her family.

I've decided to only weigh once, at the start of the month, so I don't know how I'm doing by that particular measure, but I'm feeling good, and happy with the habits I'm building.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Swuddly wrote: I don't know how I'm doing by that particular measure, but I'm feeling good, and happy with the habits I'm building.
That's the most important measure- how you feel :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Another month down. I had one fail (virtual plating gone wrong), and two NWS days. I lost 1.4 pounds, bringing my total lost to 7.6. In all, I was pleased with the month. I intentionally gave myself fairly full (or dense) plates, so that I would be less likely to have fail days. In the long term, I know that I need to edit my plates a bit more in order to lose weight at a better pace. Not quite yet, though.

My work is very busy and stressful in August, so I have no plans of lightening my plates for the next month. I think it would set me up for habit failure. I'll reassess at the start of September. I will be adding exercise this month--14 minutes of anything each N day. I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but I know I'll feel differently once I've established the habit.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Good for you taking it slow and one step at a time. That is exactly the right approach to set yourself up for success!

Great job and have a good weekend!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Thank you, Linda.

I hope you had a good weekend.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 am

Fantastic swuddly! And the exercise will help as well :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Oh, man! I have been crashing and burning this week something fierce! I'm a bit stressed out, and I've been eating my stress. No more. I'm committing to two green days to end this week.

So far, so good today. Good breakfast and lunch, with no snack in between. Dinner has already been cooked, and just needs to be rewarmed. I'm going to make it. :)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Well done Rachel!

I am making sure I eat plenty for every meal, to establish the habit firmly. I add more to my meal when I know I'm going to be stressed/emotionally challenged - and that has worked well for me too. My weight is slowly going down - so that proves to me it works.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm

August kicked my butt. But, it's done, and I'm committed to a much improved September.

For my entire working life, August has been the busiest, most stressful month. Despite how poorly I did, it is still way better than I've historically done.

September is here. Work is still stressful (and will be for a few more weeks), but it's not quite at the fever pitch it was in August. My hope is that by next August, the good habits will be much more solidly ingrained, and I'll be able to handle the stress in other ways. I'm working on developing creative habits, and will try again to start an exercise habit this month. It's jut 14 minutes, right? :)

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:06 pm

I am with you on the exercise. I have been very inconsistent with it. I am trying to find a way to motivate myself. If you have any secret motivation tips please share.
~Cindy

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:21 pm

I wish I had some tips. I've just never enjoyed it. There are physical things that I do enjoy doing--hiking, kayaking, etc.--but it's just not possible for me to do them on a regular basis. The best I've been able to manage lately is strolling along with my toddler (so slowly, that I can't imagine any cardiovascular benefit from it).

I don't know if it's very motivating, but I'm trying to think of it like something mundane, but necessary. Laundry. Brushing my teeth. Grocery shopping. It's something necessary, so it doesn't particularly matter if I enjoy it. It's my hope that once I'm in the swing of things, it will become part of my routine, and I'll find its rewards.

Oh, I guess I have thought of one motivating thing. I want my daughter to grow up thinking of activity and exercise as something normal and healthy.

Let me know if you come up with anything that works for you, Cindy.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:52 am

Two green days under my belt, and I'm feeling much better. I even managed to spend 15 minutes of my lunch hour doing a freestyle kettlebell routine (just a little 7 pounder).

My mom-in-law came over to see her grand baby last night (grandparents say they're here to see everyone, but we know the truth ;) ), and very thoughtfully brought a homemade dinner with her. It was such a nice break. She's really great, in general, but last night was such a blessing.
Last edited by Bean&Sprout on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:33 am

B: oatmeal with raisins, almonds, cinnamon, and a bit of brown sugar; black coffee (two total)
L: pasta with marinara; almonds; apple
S: beans and rice with salsa and guacamole; tomato; most of a pear

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Glad things are going well. You're lucky to have such a nice relationship with your Mil. So many ppl don't!

Linda

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks, Linda. It's been going okay this month. Much better than August (not much of a challenge, frankly), but not as well as I would like. Part of it is residual stress from the busy season at work. All of the regular tasks that got pushed aside for the frantic rush are now all crying out for attention. Part of it, too, is that my habits are floppy after basically taking August off. I'm going to get through September, and then become a strict school marm towards my habits in October. ;)

My MIL really is a blessing.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:20 pm

B: leftover beans & rice w/ guacamole; corn bread; black coffee
L: GF PB & J; cucumber slices; apple; dry cereal
D: hummus, GF pita, kafta, shawarma, salad, roast veggies, sweet potato fries (just a little bit of each thing, all on one plate)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:47 pm

B: leftover pasta and sauce w/ parmesan; black coffee
L: GF roast beef & cheddar sandwich, veggies & dip, apple; seltzer water
D: pork loin & roast veggies, green beans, GF bread w/ butter; apple

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:11 pm

B: GF toasted cheese sandwich, apple, black coffee
L: GF roast beef & cheddar sandwich, veggies and dip, tomato salad
D: Pork loin w/ roasted veggies, GF bread w/ brie, most of a banana (wanted an apple, but Little Bean left a bit more than half of a banana behind, so that's what Momma had for dessert)
E: 15 minute walk

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:06 pm

B: oatmeal with raisins, peanut butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, black coffee
L: GF PB & J, veggies w/guacamole
D: black beans and rice, guacamole, corn chips
E: 15+ min. walking at the mall

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 pm

B: tomato salad, egg & cheese breakfast sandwich on a GF English muffin; black coffee
L: Roast beef & cheddar sandwich on GF bread, bell pepper strips, apple
D: Pork loin (just a bit), black beans & rice w/ cheese, banana & almonds
E: 30+ walking

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:23 pm

B: Banana, smoked almonds, black coffee
L: GF PB & J, apple, veggie straws, soda water
D: Black beans & rice taco salad w/ guacamole & salsa, 1/3 banana (toddler leftovers)
E: 15 min. stretching/yoga

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40 pm

B: Oatmeal w/ raisins & peanut butter, black coffee
L: Red Robin bacon cheeseburger on a GF bun, fries, water
D: Ham & cheese sandwich on GF bread, roasted summer squash, chips & Mexicali dip.
E: 20 minutes playing with my kid outside (mostly just walking along with her while she pushed her lawnmower about)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Yesterday was my 3rd wedding anniversary. We took our daughter to daycare, and had a day-date. Actually, we ran errands together, but it was really nice to spend the whole day, bumming around town, without the added stress of a feisty toddler old in tow. We took a nice walk in our local state park, and had lunch at a local pizza chain. Buddy's gluten free pizza is the best GF pizza I've ever had in my life. So delicious.

B: Bananas (1 + toddler reject), Cheerios, almonds, black coffee
L: GF PB & J, apple, veggies, cashews
D: Qrunch pattie w/olive muffaleta spread on GF bread w/ veggie straws & Cheerios (not my most balanced meal)
E: 15 minutes dancing
Last edited by Bean&Sprout on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Good for you for figuring out a way to spend time together on your special day. So hard with little ones.

Looks like you're doing great!

Linda

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks, Linda. I'm feeling good!

I hope you're feeling better after your surgery.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:33 pm

B: Scrambled eggs w/ veggies & cheese w/ buttered toast and black coffee
L: Ham & cheese sandwich w/ olive muffaleta spread, snap pea snacks, apple
D: GF baked rotini w/chicken sausage, veggies, and sauce, side of collard greens (random pairing, but those were my quickest veggies)
E: Fail

Fail: GF cheese crackers, 2 pieces of chocolate

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 pm

B: Buttered GF English muffin w/ banana & black coffee
L: Tuna sandwich, collard greens, snap pea crisps, apple
D: Thai peanut curry noodles w/ veggies

Fail: I had a snack between lunch and dinner. Early lunch, very late dinner. I should have made a cup of tea, or a decaf coffee to tide me over.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:15 pm

B: Toasted roll w/ cheese, an apple, and coffee w/ creamer
L: Roast beef & cheese sandwich on GF bread, apple, cucumber & pea crisps
D: Turkey sweet potato chili w/ sour cream
E: 20 minutes of yoga

Fail: I'm not sure what happened, but after dinner, I went on a little binge. I was just putting stuff into my mouth to do it. Anyway, someone on the main boards mentioned food rituals, and that he makes a cup of coffee when feeling like doing something food-ish. I stopped, mid-binge, and made a cup of tea. It worked! It was just enough of a reset for my frame of mind that it got me back in a good spot. :)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm

B: Egg & cheese sandwich on GF bread, apple, black coffee
L: Roast beef & cheese sandwich on GF bread, cucumber slices, and quinoa chips
D: Broccoli, chicken & rice skillet casserole, banana, pretzels
E: No exercise today--ran to the grocery store on my lunch hour

The tea trick worked again! I started feeling munchy, so I put the kettle on. I'm definitely going to run with this. :)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:58 pm

B: Oatmeal w/raisins & peanut butter, 1/2 banana, coffee
L: PB & J on GF, apple, sriracha cracker-chip things, almonds
D: PB & J on GF, banana, nuts & dried fruit, decaf coffee
E: 15 minute dance party

The warm drink to cut short the munchies is continuing to work. :)

Regarding exercise, if it doesn't happen during my lunch hour, it doesn't usually happen. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it's good that I'm getting some mid-day activity in, but part of me feels like I should be making it a part of my real life (meaning at home). I'm going to keep on keeping on for now, and reassess in November.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:02 pm

B: Two eggs, scrambled, with mushrooms and bacon, two slices buttered GF toast, one bite of banana (toddler claimed the rest, and I wasn't really hungry), black coffee
L: Chicken, broccoli & rice casserole, pea crisps, apple, tomato
D: Split pea soup, salad, blackberries, GF biscuit (savory, not a sweet)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 pm

B: Banana, GF breakfast bar (low-ish sugar), cashews, black coffee
L: Fattoush (minus pita chips), hummus, garlic sauce, GF pita, fries (fewer than 10)
D: PB&J on GFbread, veggies, tortilla chips, apple

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm

B: two homemade breakfast bars (no added sugar, and sized for my toddler, hence two for me), cucumber slices, black coffee
L: Chicken, lentil & vegetable soup, GF crackers, cheese, apple
D: Chicken, lentil & vegetable soup, buttered roll, side salad.
E: 15 minute dance party

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 am

I'm home with an under the weather kid today. I find home-bound N days particularity challenging. I'm planning to eat the following:
B: Two eggs and toast, apple, black coffee
L: Turkey & cheese sandwich on GF bread, salad leftovers, GF cheese crackers (assuming I can get them made with the baby)
D: homemade Thai curry over rice

^^^Yeah, so that didn't happen. Fail.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Yesterday: Fail.

Today, I'm trying again. Two green days to end the week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I had to look at it that way many times. I didn't always make those two days, but things still got better.

Enjoy your S days this weekend.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)