Pinkhippies daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Re: Pinkhippies daily check in

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Just making sure a few people I've communicated with have seen this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12589
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 pm

I agree, too. Sounds like you're in a very good place. Way to go!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Thank you Soprano, Oolala and Sammybunny!

Oolala! Thank you for the heads up on Reinhard's topic! Maybe just to be safe I will take my check-in and copy-paste it to a document or something. I know he wouldn't do anything without letting us know, but just in case...

I have almost posted here several times in the past month, but I never have anything to say! Well, one thing I guess is I'm still trying to decide if daily desserts are for me. On one hand, they can become habitual, but on the other hand, they reduce that urge to go nuts on the weekend. Like we got a box of donuts from the in-laws yesterday and I have had one. One donut. The box is sitting there on the table, but I don't WANT a donut. I also have lots of candy in my pantry for Halloween but I don't want that either. Now... after dinner I might want a few pieces. Or maybe a donut. But it doesn't feel compulsive like it used to. And I don't have that fear of missing out because I can't eat it during the week. So, I think I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing.

My husband and I went on a six-mile hike yesterday and one of my knees didn't like it! I have it in a brace today but I can't walk without pain. So annoying. I have still been mountain biking on a fairly regular basis and getting much more comfortable on my bike and getting better in general.

I guess the one thing that has been going on is my 12 year old has turned into a sloth. And every time she has PE she complains for the next 3 days because she can't walk without pain. The other thing that concerns me is she will only walk on her forefoot, ball of her foot. She says it's uncomfortable to walk on her heels. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get her more active so PE won't wipe her out so much. She does mountain bike ride a few times a month, but it's not enough.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 am

Your daughter sounds like my nephew, I think it is something to do with a shortened tendon, she may benefit from physio and some stretching exercises.

Worth getting it checked out.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Interesting Soprano. I will look into that, and in the meantime try to get her to do some stretching.

Today I was at the dentist for almost 4 hours getting a crown. My poor jaw is so sore from having to hold my mouth open. I have a tight jaw and dentist visits are always hard on me. This crown was replacing a back molar so it was rough. Luckily I had delicious potato soup on the menu for tonight. I was so hungry when I could finally eat again that I ate two bowls of it.

I guess I am not sticking super hard to no seconds at dinner. That would probably be the step that would result in weight loss for me, but it's also the step that makes me feel anxious and more hungry and leads to rebound eating, so I'm not doing that part just yet. I eat to satisfaction/reasonable fullness and if that involves seconds, so be it. Dinner is especially hard because I am feeding my 3 kids. Sometimes, I don't know if there will be enough if it's something they like so I always take a small portion and then take a second small portion if there is any left and I am still hungry. Sometimes there isn't and then I make a half PBJ or something. So dinner just can't be an exact science. But, for lunch and breakfast, I do not do seconds.

Oct 25 Monday

B: a bowl of cornflakes with milk, crushed walnuts, banana, and milk

L: PBJ with a few apple slices, half a glass of milk

D: 2 bowls of potato soup, 2 slices of french bread with butter, 2 mini reeses.

TeacherJ

Post by TeacherJ » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm

I love potato soup. I haven't had it in a long time. I may have to change that.
5'2 female; 40-something years old

Started No S on 7/11/21
Starting size: 16/XL
Current size: 16/XL
Goal size: 10/M

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Teacher J, I don't think I had ever made it! All my kids hated it but more for meeee! Its great too because I have so much left over, I get to have it on this cold blustery day for lunch.

Stayed green all week so far. (my definition of green right now I guess is just no snacks and no stuffing. :lol: Like I don't overeat to the point of eating more than I need. I do still have a small dessert after dinner. Lately its been 2 reeses minis. Im interested to see how I do with Halloween candy this year. Last year I couldn't stop eating it.

Yesterday Oct 26 2021

B: Raisin bran, banana, nuts milk

L: 1.5 bowls of potato soup, 2 slices bread

D: 2 ham and cheese hot pockets with buttered broccoli, 2 reeses minis, 3 licorice twists.

Today Oct 27 2021 Wednesday

B: raisin bran, banana nuts, milk

L: 1 piece beef jerky, bowl of potato soup, 1 piece of bread, steamed broccoli

Was hungry between lunch and dinner. Probably helped along by a cold and rainy day. I made some tea with milk and sugar and it hit the spot.

D: 1.5 portions of baked ravioli, 1 garlic knot, 3 Twizzlers, 2 reeses minis

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 am

More than half of my teeth are crowned. None in the very front. I don't think I've ever had a 4-hour procedure, though. When I was a kid and we had very little money, we lived near dental school so I had work done there. Everything took at least three times as long- so much longer that when I went to a regular dentist a several years later on my own as a teenager, I almost started crying because when he got done so fast, I thought maybe he was trying to pull a fast one because my mom wasn't there. Nope, it was just that he had years of experience! But also at the school, they used a dam to keep patients' mouths open. Even when you don't have to work to keep your mouth open, your jaw gets sore. I feel for ya.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 am

Well done on keeping green despite the dental work! And yum, potato soup, delicious, especially at this time of year!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Oolala yeah I guess it's just something that happens. The procedure didn't take quite so long, it was just that they make the crown onsite so I had to wait for it to get made. That sounds tough to have everything take so long at a dental school! No wonder they are using a dam. I hate those because it holds my mouth open wider than it can comfortably go.

My jaw and my teeth feel much better now though.

Thanks Amy!

Well, I didn't eat too much candy during Halloween but then I noticed a strange pattern where I was eating a little more every day, and then this weekend, anytime I ate anything sugary I got a headache and just felt bad. So... I guess I need to go back to vanilla no s with no sugar during the week. Healthwise and habitwise, it just makes sense. It's kind of an insidious creeping and I don't want to feel bad when I eat sugar.

But, Im really glad I gave it a good long experiment to really come to the conclusion on my own as to what is better for me and how I feel.

So, we will see how it goes this week.

I will probably be in sugar withdrawal.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:27 am

Good luck with the sugar withdrawal...like you with sugar, I have come to a similar conclusion for myself with alcohol - it just doesn't do me any favors at all, so I decided to take a break until the end of the year.

And you inspired me - I made potato soup last week and really enjoyed it! Glad your mouth is feeling better!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Hey Amy!
Glad I could inspire you! Im definitely going to have to make potato soup one more time before the year is over!

Good luck with no alcohol! Today is DAY 1 with no sweetsfor me. I didn't have any trouble with no dessert after lunch because I have only been having sweets with lunch since Halloween. Dinner will be the challenge. I have frozen fruit, tea, and cereal for an emergency sweet crave.

Breakfast:
raisin bran with milk, nuts, blueberries and milk

Lunch
Egg, melted cheese and ham sandwich, sauteed broccoli

D paremsan chicken with rice, a biscuit and some frozen mixed fruit
( I had no veggies, tommorow is grocery day and we are out. Brought in some fruit to add color and fiber at the very least! LOL)

Gingerbread Tea

I did it! No sweets today! The fruit really helped. The tea was good too. Also no seconds which I don't always manage to do. Today was a success.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 am

Well done! Just take it day by day and before you know it, you'll have a whole string of sugar free days! :mrgreen:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:53 pm

pinkhippie wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Brought in some fruit to add color and fiber at the very least! LOL)
I love a colourful plate with lots of different vegies or fruit on it. Somehow seems much more inviting to me than just various shades of brown.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:25 am

Thanks for the encouragement Amy! I hope so!

Ladybird yes, I always feel like I'm eating the SAD diet when everything on my plate is beige or brown. I like a lot of color too.

Tuesday

Breakfast
Raisin bran, walnuts banana and milk

Lunch
Parmesan chicken, rice, a huge helping of green beans and a biscuit

Dinner
2 eggs in a hat, peaches and strawberries.

Decaf chocolate hazelnut tea

Another day of no sweets and no seconds. I'm also easing my lunchtime a little earlier. It had been later so that the between lunch and dinner hours were less and so easier not to snack but with the result of not being hungry for dinner and so actually overeating. If I don't have a hunger cue I don't have a satisfaction cue.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:29 am

Day 3!
Im feeling it today. My car had all the warning lights go on and Im suspecting the hyrid battery is about to go which means we might have to get a new car in the middle of a car shortage. I have to take my 9 year old to a field trip she is really looking forward to tommorrow and then I'm going to the mechanic. Suffice to say, a lot of stress and wow some Halloween candy would really hit the spot! I did not do it though.

Breakfast
Raisin bran, banana, walnuts milk

Lunch
Parmesan chicken, rice, green beans, a clementine

Dinner
3 pork tacos on corn tortillas with salsa, 1 clementine

Organic chocolate orange tea with milk

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 am

Well done on resisting! Hope you get the car sorted.
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks Soprano!

Its the hybrid battery of course... Oh and a the water pump! I have spent the past week looking into all my options and Im still trying to figure it out. Sigh.. At least it still drives!

This weekend I did quite well with my No Sing, As some of you know, I have dessert with my family every Friday night so I start my S day at dinner time on Friday but end my S day on Sunday after breakfast. I think that probably evens it out. I did not have a dessert on Sunday. I had pizza and a brownie on Saturday but still stuck to 3 meals no snacks.

Last week was all green!

Monday is going well. No seconds, 3 meals only and No sweets.

Breakfast
Raisin bran strawberries, milk, crushed almonds

Lunch
Homemade vegetable soup, two pieces of buttered toast, 1 clementine

Dinner
1 bowl of Chicken veggie stir fry, a very small apple and a few pieces of frozen fruit

Ginger Lemon Tea

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:04 pm

So we ended up taking the car to the dealership. I know I know... believe it or not, they were only a few hundred more for a new battery and they were less for the water pump. So that plus the loaner car I get to drive around this week, and I guess its worth it. Im just grateful we have enough in savings to cover the cost and fingers crossed my little car lasts at least 3 more years! Im driving a 2022 Toyota Camry right now and Im like wow! New cars! bluetooth! Technology! LOL My car seemed like cutting edge when I got in 2007 with its digital display and its back up camera. Cars have come a long way since then!

Anyway, on to eating.

I have been writing in my planner the 3 habits of 3 meals, No sweets and no seconds and it's curiously motivating. I really want to be able to cross those boxes off at the end of the day. If there was ever a stressful week that I craved sweets after dinner it was this week! I wanted to eat chocolate A LOT with the stress of deciding to put so much money into my old car. But I did not! And I am happy I didn't because I feel better physically. Still the same weight though. SIgh...

Oh and I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I'm doing for the first time NaNoWriMo. It has been a very educational experience and takes a lot of discipline to write my required amount of words a day. But, I'm doing good and I finally know what the ending of my story will be (pretty much) I hit 37 thousand words today! The most writing I have ever accomplished on a novel attempt.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 am

Well done on resisting the stress eating - it is not easy when facing upheaval like the decision you had to make on the car. And NaNoWriMo, that is a big deal and it sounds like you are going to make it with that word count! I attempted it several times, and only managed to reach the final word count once. Nowadays I do my daily writing on the website "750 words", which for me is very motivating, and I find 750 words a lot more doable. Good luck on finishing! :D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Thank you Amy! That's awesome you have done nano wri mo and finished your word count and that you have done Nano so many times!

I finished my word count for Nanowrimo today. It was pretty intense and now that I know what it's really like I don't know if I could do it again! It's the first story I have ever finished in my life, and I'm pretty happy with "draft zero" as they say.

Amy, thank you, I have never heard of the website 750 words and I looked it up and that looks awesome! I'm totally going to sign up! One thing I really enjoyed about the nano was having a reason to write every day. I felt like my creativity was unleashed and my ideas seemed to flow for the first time in a long time and I want to keep it up. This looks like a great less overwhelming way to keep up the habit. So thank you for letting me know about that.

Also, I got my car back! It drives amazingly! My husband says it drives like it's new again and I wouldn't go that far, but I hadn't realized how much the quality of driving had degraded over time until those problems went away. I guess my battery had been going for a long time. I also went back to 49 mpg city driving which I haven' seen in YEARS. When I took it in last week it was at 33 MPG and previous to that it had been 39 or 40 for a very long time. Anyway, I'm relieved and I really hope the car can keep going for the next few years. I'm going to take as good of care of it as I possibly can.

Well eating. This week hasn't been as good. I had seconds yesterday because of the dinner I made. I served myself a small amount in case there wasn't enough and after everyone had finished eating I was still hungry so I had another spoonful. I haven't had any sweets. I was visiting my dad two days ago and he brought out graham crackers and tea at 3 pm. I couldn't resist. But, it's ok this week is going to be wonky anyway.

We are celebrating Thanksgiving Thursday with my family and Friday with my husband's family so two special days there. But I'm going to try not to snack and be moderate. We will see what ends up happening.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 am

Congratulations on finishing NaNoWriMo and completing the first draft of your story! That is a huge accomplishment - well done! I know what you mean about the daily writing habit and not wanting to let go of it. I hope 750 words works well for you. I find it highly motivating to want to keep up my streak! :D

And getting your car back in such good shape, that is awesome - right before Thanksgiving, too! Enjoy the holiday! It does make the week a bit wonky but so nice you get the chance to spend it with family, it sounds like it is worth the two S days! :mrgreen: And next week you can make a fresh start on the eating.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Thank you Amy! Now that I have done it and I have had 3 days where I haven't written, I can't believe I actually did it! Revising will be a whole other experience. 750 words sounds so much more doable and motivating. Yes, it's so nice to get my car sorted before the holidays!

Phew, yep lots of food so far this week. I have been trying to have still only 2 or 3 meals a day and dessert only once. I only had 2 meals on Thanksgiving and the day after because we did big meals around 11:30. Today I had 3 meals and one dessert. ( a slice of Pumpkin pie with ice cream) I know weight means nothing but my weight has been maintained so far during the holidays. We will see what happens...

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:14 am

Well, it is always good to know you are holding steady! :mrgreen: I bet it will be a relief in a way to get back to normal eating next week. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday here in Belgium, just a normal weekday, so I never have to deal with the dietary fallout from it, for which I am grateful :wink: Enjoy your Sunday!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 am

Thank you Amy! yeah, I guess you wouldn't have to worry about this holiday in Belgium! Do you have an equivalent holiday where everyone eats a lot?

I felt like I was going to be relieved to go back to normal but then I just jumped headfirst off the rails. I think it's because I purposely started trying to eat smaller meals to make up for Thanksgiving and my body completely rebelled. 2 days of attempted smaller meals translated to 2 weeks of eating extra food. I am thinking I can never do any type of purposeful restriction again. That's probably for the best.

I have done much better this week. NOt great, but not terrible. I'm weirdly hungry right now between lunch and dinner and it's annoying. I'm going to hold out those two hours until dinner but I don't understand this eating urge.

Edit:

I made it to dinner but wow it was hard! Im also really tired today and that probably is contributing as well. A little hungry after dinner but making myself some tea to see if that helps.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:41 am

Awww, it sounds like you struggled to get back on track after Thanksgiving - but you got back in the swing of things this week! And it gave you some valuable insight into your body's reaction to restriction. Like you, I find I have to walk a very fine line with restriction - if it tips over into too much, my body also rebels and it pushes me over the edge into bingeing. So I guess a big part of this process is learning how to walk that line without crossing it. Well done on making it to dinner - I find that is always the toughest part of the day!

Christmas and New Year are big eating holidays here in Belgium, but with covid still being a big part of our lives, we will be celebrating at home with just our kids, so the menu is completely in my own control, and there will be no food pushers (my MIL!) around, which is a plus. I have been doing really well on not having wine since the end of October, and I will continue to do that through the end of the year but might make an exception for Christmas Eve and NYE. What are your plans for the end of the year holidays?

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:39 pm

pinkhippie wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 am

I felt like I was going to be relieved to go back to normal but then I just jumped headfirst off the rails. I think it's because I purposely started trying to eat smaller meals to make up for Thanksgiving and my body completely rebelled. 2 days of attempted smaller meals translated to 2 weeks of eating extra food. I am thinking I can never do any type of purposeful restriction again. That's probably for the best.
This is sounding awfully familiar to me at the moment, as having similar problems with any sort of restriction - a reaction to getting down below my usual weight I suppose.

Somewhere Reinhard cautions against make up restrictions after the event, although I can't remember exactly where.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi Amy! Yes that fine line is tricky! Our plans are pretty low key. My MIL and my dad both live locally and have been in our "pod" since last year. We will visit them at some point. Other than that, nothing much. The kids will spend the night for a couple of nights at their grandparents and Im looking forward to a couple of days without younger children to take care of. My 18-year-old will still be here.

Ladybird, yep its hard! It feels like my body definitely rebels.

I didn't do well this week AT ALL. I have been eating until I actually physically hurt. It's pretty weird, I don't normally do this and haven't emotionally binged in years. I can't think of any major triggers, life seems pretty much the same as it has been all year. Yesterday I decided not to eat until I was hungry because of all the excess food and stomach ache and I didn't end up eating until 1 pm. I'm doing the same thing again today, I'm going to wait until I'm hungry to eat. I think sometimes when I eat when I'm not hungry I lose my appetite fullness cues and I can just eat forever. I dont' know. It's a bit discouraging, I did think I was beyond this.

Next week is going to be holiday cookies and meals so I hope I can figure it out before then.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Just wanted to update, that I have been doing a lot better. Not eating breakfast until late, or just not eating breakfast has made a huge difference! I have been doing that all weekend and I am eating much less food (the amount my body actually needs) because I'm not eating until I'm hungry. Today I wasn't hungry until 12: 45 pm. I assume that is just because of my extra food and extra weight and eventually, I will start getting hungrier earlier. It's nice to not feel like I can't stop eating. I think where it all went wrong for me was when I started trying to eat breakfast earlier so I would be hungry for an earlier lunch. But to do that, I was eating breakfast when I wasn't hungry and so then it seemed to make it where it was harder to tell if I was hungry for a meal or not?

I'm not sure but this week I am going to continue to not eat breakfast until hungry or just skip it, depending on how I feel and see how it goes.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:58 am

Apart from anything else, breakfast is so much more enjoyable when hungry and you actually want the food.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:49 am

I'm sorry to hear you were struggling, but it is good that you are doing better now! It sounds like you are really exploring and paying attention to your body's hunger levels and figuring out what works for you. Ladybird is right, any meal is way more enjoyable when you are actually hungry for the food!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Ladybird its so true! I think sometimes when you get out of the habit of eating when you are hungry you forget how much better food can actually taste! At least that is what happened to me.

Thanks Amy! I am doing better this week! I am really noticing almost a compulsion to keep eating past satisfaction at dinner time and sometimes lunch. I will have the thought "Oh Im full, I don't need any more food" And yet my hands and my mouth operate independently of me and I feel compelled to eat the rest of my food. Im really working on this right now. I seem to go in phases where Im really good at not finishing my plate if Im not hungry and phases where it feels impossible to not eat everything.

This week I have been doing inadvertent IF as I haven't gotten hungry until around 12 or 12:30 and have been skipping breakfastI noticed today I got hungry at 12, earlier than I have all week so maybe my body is getting back on track with how much food it needs. I tell myself every morning that if I get truly hungry I can eat at any time. telling myself I can't eat until a certain time is recipe for disaster for me I think. Activates restriction head.(and restriction body!)

Also I was 163 lbs this morning which is a much better feeling than the 166 branching up to 167 I was two weeks ago. I know it's only 3 pounds but it makes a noticeable comfort difference in how all my clothes fit.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:53 am

And focusing on how good it feels to have your clothes fit more comfortably is incredibly motivating! :mrgreen:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:11 am

Amy, Yes it is!

I made it through the holidays still at the same weight which I consider an accomplishment. I printed off a habit tracker and I'm coloring my days green when I stick to No S. It's very motivating so far! I have been sticking to vanilla no S since about the beginning of January.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Well done.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 am

Getting through the holidays without gaining is huge! I find filling in the Habit Cal helps me stay on track, too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:39 am

Hope you're seeing lots of green.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:51 pm

Thanks for the support ladybird, Amy, and oolala!

We have had soooo much stress in January! We had a freak ice storm/sleet thing and my husband totaled out his van on the highway. He was ok thank goodness! We have been trying not to get a new car because of the market, but after that, we were forced to. So, he finally got a new car last night. So much stress! So much debt! Neither one of us has been sleeping all that well. Im hoping things will finally calm down soon!

I HAVE been doing pretty well with No S. I pretty much never snack. The things I am most likely to do are to eat something sweet after dinner or grab seconds of dinner.

My weight has still remained stable. I realize if I ever want to go below 163/165, I have to stop those occasional seconds and those occasional sweets much more consistently. However, Im pretty happy to be in a relatively comfortable size and not feel deprived or like Im suffering at all. Basically eating what I want when I want. Although really, it's just the habits of No S that make me feel that way. I would like to develop the non-seconds habit the same way I have the no snacking habit. I think it would probably be a game-changer.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 am

ugh, i hate financial stress!! we had to replace one if our hvac systems a couple months ago and it looks like we’ll have to replace another one soon. we probably are going to owe a bunch of taxes too so i’m stressing about that too. i just remind myself that we’ve had these times where i was super stressed about money but we’ve always eventually recovered from it to the point where i can’t even remember exactly what i was worrying over during those times.

hang in there. it’ll work itself out! 💜
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:49 am

I am so sorry that January was so stressful for you - I hope February was better?

I know what you mean about getting to the point in your weight loss journey where you feel pretty comfortable with where you are and yet you realize that in order to make more progress you are going to have to look at fine tuning some things. I knew for a long time that I was going to have to give up alcohol to make any further progress, but resisted it for a while. I am sure you will figure out what you need to do when you are ready to do it and in the meantime the No-S habits will help keep you on an even keel, which is a great place to be in itself!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks, Linda! I know! It's true, it does work itself out, it's just a change and that always feels stressful too. Sorry to hear about your Hvac system!

Hi Amy, so true! That's exactly the point that I am at! It's a good point that NoS keeps us on an even keel until or if we decide to make further tweaks.

My February has been a little less stressful. Still getting things ironed out, but better than the end of January, that's for sure!

I had what seemed like an earth-shattering revelation last night, but actually isn't. But isn't that always the way with eating and eating behaviors? So obvious and simple, yet so hard for us to see?

So my revelation was, it's hard for me to stop eating at dinner time because after dinner is essentially when I "clock out". It's the end of my workday. I do have to wrap leftovers and do a few dishes, but typically I wash dishes while cooking so it's very quick to just rinse plates and put them in the dishwasher. So, I want to celebrate. I want to relax, I want to unwind and I still look to food to do that in certain instances. I used to have a really hard time not eating after dinner on my "break" time when I got to spend time alone in the evening, but I eventually replaced that urge to eat with books and watching Netflix, or writing. But, right after dinner, surrounded by food, I have the same urge. After dinner, my husband plays with the kids, and then I have a break, and then we watch a show, and yes I put the kids to bed, but my responsibilities and cleaning are basically done for the day. I always feel such relief after I serve dinner. It truly is like getting off work after a long day.

I was really aware of that last night. I wanted to keep eating even though I was full(as usual) or go find a piece of toast or some peanut butter. It finally clicked that I wanted to celebrate. I wanted something special to be like YAY! Im done for the day! It sounds silly I know. Anyway, just being aware of that, helped me not have seconds, or anything else. I think that awareness is going to help me make those two final tweaks that have been eluding me. Seconds for dinner, and sometimes sweets after dinner on N days. We will see.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:22 am

Well, since I had that realization about dinner, I haven't felt that emotional pull to eat more after dinner. Just like every other meal, it finally feels ok to stop eating after a reasonable serving. The trigger is gone. I think another part of it, maybe from a long time ago was that dinner was the only time that I felt like I was relaxing, and after the kids were served, it was my time to relax and sometimes I wanted to extend that feeling. Yesterday I had the thought of eating more after dinner, and then I remembered that I don't need food to enjoy my time of relaxation or to celebrate being done for the day. And then the thought just faded away... I don't need to feel STUFFED like I used to. Im not really sure what the connection was there either, but it's pretty amazing. It's incredible how emotional triggers or associations can affect how much we eat, even when we don't realize it.

And Im finally hungry for breakfast! For the first time like ever maybe? Usually, I just eat breakfast because it's time or I have to, but this week I have been waking up hungry for it.

So, we will see what happens. I have been having green days so far this week.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:58 am

Wow! You really had an aha moment with that realization and it sounds like the awareness you now have about why you ate after dinner, has helped you to change the behavior! That's great!

I can relate to your end-of-the-day celebratory eating - I had similar behavior when my kids were small. Once they were in bed, it was the first moment of the day when I had time to myself. But that nighttime eating does have a huge impact on weight, and yes, also on waking up hungry for breakfast. I also realized that I slept much better without a full stomach.

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:38 pm

I used to be totally cool about not eating late at night, but I'm with you -- now that I have a small child, once she's in bed, I'm ready to celebrate me-time and I need to do that WITHOUT resorting to food.
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:12 am

Hi Amy! Yes, I did! I truly feel like a switch has been flipped in my brain. I thought I had overcome the eating after kids were in bed, or not my sole responsibility anymore because I did stop snacking at night. But all I did was just eat A LOT at dinner, or have seconds, or basically make it where I was so stuffed, I wouldn't want to eat after dinner. I just pushed the timeline forward basically.

Sammybunny yes! I think being a parent is harder work than we consciously realize and we really need some kind of release or maybe self-care when we get a break. For me, I often see eating in celebration as self-care, so I have been trying to shift that.

Today I made french toast for dinner with sausage. (Ice storm here, I had to. :) ) And I fully intended to have 3 pieces as it was delicious! But, I was full after two and I just stopped. Like, I was done and it was amazing. It's like whatever emotional trigger that overrode my body isn't there or is much quieter now. It's incredibly freeing. In the past I used to have to substitue tea after dinner for food, and I realize now that I was trying to take the celebration/release of dealing with kids and home and just transfer it from food to tea. But, that just didn't stick. Its not the same feeling I guess.

Anyway, I will keep this check-in updated. Im interested to see if this lasts, and what happens the next time I have a REALLY stressful day. You know, in a scientist observing kind of way, not really looking forward to that scenario personally...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:38 am

Hope the after dinner ease is holding!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Hi oolala! It HAS! It's pretty amazing. It's also amazing what a difference it can make over time weight wise. Since I had that realization, I have lost about 2 pounds. I finally went below the 163-pound mark! The nice thing is, I don't feel like I am depriving myself or struggling as I have in the past.

Becoming aware of the dinner eating trigger has made a huge difference. I really hope that I continue to stay aware.

I have started to work on meal quality a bit this week because I have been getting heartburn which is unusual for me. I have been having the kids cook meals and the only stuff they know how to make is stuff like grilled cheese and cheesy pasta and eggs. So... Im thinking of making myself something higher fiber lower fat and eating it for dinner a few nights a week. My heartburn is really mild, I am just barely aware its there, but I want to catch it before it gets bad.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:49 am

Awareness has a huge impact, I am so glad it is working for you! And good luck with figuring out how to ease the heartburn, you are smart to intervene before it gets really bad.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:36 am

Mentally noting something can have huge impacts on habits, well done and congratulations on the weight loss.

Jx

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:29 pm

Amy, yes awareness does seem to make a huge difference!

The heartburn has been pretty ok. Now Im just making an effort to chew slower, have smaller meals and not overdo it on high fat or greasy stuff. So far so good.

Thank you Soprano!

I have not much to report. We just got back from a brief few nights away for spring break. I was careful to eat slowly and not overeat because of heartburn stuff. I felt good and the only time I ended up snacking was after a 10 mile bike ride. I have been reading about heartburn benefiting from more smaller meals more often, but I haven't done that yet. I have just tried to make my meals smaller and allow a small snack if I need it.

I now pretty much never eat to the point of being able to feel food stretching my stomach. (pain is a great motivator! :D) I reduced my breakfast size about 2 months ago so that I would be hungry for lunch and that I think has helped too. I used to have the usual serving of 1/2 cup of dry oats but I realized with all the fruit and nuts and milk that I put in my oatmeal that it was too much food. I wasn't hungry for lunch until almost 2 pm. So the past couple of months have just been 1/4 cup of oats with usually one or two fruits and nuts with a splash of milk and that lets me be hungry at lunchtime. Lunch is still a tricky meal... I think it has become my biggest meal now that breakfast and dinner have gotten smaller. And Ive been trying to add in vegetables to lunch as well on a more regular basis. We will see what happens!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:33 am

Well done on your continued progress with moderate eating. I too believe that it is important, and so much more enjoyable,
to be hungry at mealtimes.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Thanks Ladybird!

I continue to eat moderately, but the past two weeks have been birthday week! First mine, and then my oldest daughter and husband. I have definitely had deserts on N days. But, I feel ok about it. I have fallen back into IF with not eating until around noon and then 3 small meals in about 6 hour window. Meals might be too strong a word, but I feel good about it in this season of my life. It could change at any moment, and that is fine too.

I have a friend who posted today on Facebook about how much she hates her body. Which I think is amazing and open and honest and I applaud her for it. And then immediately, a whole bunch of people also chimed in about how they hate their body. So, it made me think and reflect and I realized that somewhere along the way, I don't hate my body. I like it just fine. I would like to lose 10 pounds, mainly for health, since I think it's mostly in my midsection as I get older. But even with that, I am happy with my body. I don't feel disgust when I see myself in the mirror as I get dressed, and I even feel an odd little contentment. Like "there she is". This body has done so much amazing stuff for me! and it's mine! I don't know, it's weird. I never thought I would get here. Anyway, needless to say, I did NOT get on that post and talk about how much I like my body. :D But, it did help me realize that somewhere along the way, I got off the body hate rollercoaster and I didn't lose a bunch of weight to do it. Also, I exercise when I can, but definitely not as much, and Im not in the kind of shape that I was last year and I STILL like my body. I appreciate its softness. And Im happy when I see myself in clothes. I don't feel self-conscious about going anywhere. Sometimes, I will catch a glimpse of my reflection in a mirror when Im out and about, and I will recognize that IM a little bigger than I would like to be, but that's it. It's fleeting, and I dont' feel bad about myself or change my behavior, or even give it much thought. I think a lot of it happened because I have had a lot of health issues these past few months and it has made me just grateful to have a functioning body. I hurt my back INCREDIBLY badly on my birthday(still healing from that) and before that, I got some terrible illness that wasn't Covid but made me feel worse than I have in a long time and lasted for weeks, and before that, I was struggling with an ulcer and heartburn. It really made me re-evaluate my priorities and my health and wish for the days when my biggest concern was my pant size.

However, I still really would like to lose 10 pounds! I also would like to eat a little healthier and just FEEL healthier. I notice certain foods make me feel worse and certain foods make me feel better and I now think it was a luxury to be able to eat whatever I wanted (just obsessing about the calories or fat or whatever) but not notice any impact on my health other than a full stomach. Maybe it's just part of getting older. My focus has definitely turned more towards my health and feeling good.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Not hating your body is a great place to be. I feel much the same way about myself now as you do, so much more accepting. Like you everything I do now food and exercise wise is for health and it just makes it so much easier. Wonder if it's an age thing :)

Jx

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:59 pm

Thats so great that you are there too Soprano. It really does feel great, and Im amazed I got here. I think age definitely helps, but my friend is only a year younger than me who posted that, and a lot of her friends are the same age as well (In their forties)
I think another thing that really helps is No S. For me, the moderate approach to food and eating and getting in touch with my hunger signals and taking away the guilt around food, really helped me heal my relationship with food, and so also my body. I think it all goes together. I think you can do No S in a way that doesn't allow for that, but I think truly embracing the moderate approach changes your mindset and so helps along with the journey of being in a better place with food and your body image. At least it did for me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:48 am

so inspiring to hear how other women have cone to terms with their feelings about their body. i’m feeling much better about mine lately but had to get surgery to get there. and i want to still lose 15 lbs and get more toned. but i don’t equate it with me self worth anymore which is big for me. sadly, when i was younger i secretly loved my figure even though everyone around me was telling me that my body needed fixing. sigh…

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:42 am

Yes, I remember the rude comments when I stopped being a skinny teenager.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:13 pm

pinkhippie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:59 pm
Thats so great that you are there too Soprano. It really does feel great, and Im amazed I got here. I think age definitely helps, but my friend is only a year younger than me who posted that, and a lot of her friends are the same age as well (In their forties)
I think another thing that really helps is No S. For me, the moderate approach to food and eating and getting in touch with my hunger signals and taking away the guilt around food, really helped me heal my relationship with food, and so also my body. I think it all goes together. I think you can do No S in a way that doesn't allow for that, but I think truly embracing the moderate approach changes your mindset and so helps along with the journey of being in a better place with food and your body image. At least it did for me.
Intuitive eating and No s really were the turning points for me. Like you say learning to eat moderately first and then making other tweaks along the way got me to where I am. I don't specifically follow no s any more but it taught me I could lose weight without counting anything or having to miss anything out of my diet. I feel really sorry for women that haven't got to this point. Food just doesn't have a hold over me now and life is so much better for that.

I really think you have to sort out your emotional attachment to food first.

Jx

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:32 pm

Linda Im glad to hear that you are feeling better about your body lately! However you get there, as long as you dont' attach your worth to your body I think is the most important thing. And a huge very hard thing to do, especially for women! I wish I had appreciated my body when I was young. It makes me sad to remember how much I hated it and all the energy I spent starving myself and feeling inferior and sad and dating guys who were more than happy to confirm my negative body image. Blech. And I was thinner than I am now and obviously more toned and youthful! Now my mission is to try to help my daughters be comfortable with their bodies and not attach their worth to their body image. Thats pretty tough in our society, but at least Im not like my mom, praising and acting like they did something great if they lose weight or look thinner than normal.

Ladybird yes! When I hit gained 40 pounds and went through puberty, I got all kinds of comments. My body had changed drastically and it was a terrible time with my family making comments.

Soprano, I agree, and good point about the intuitive eating. That really helped me so much. The legalizing foods aspect of IE really helped, and I don't strictly follow No S, but I do eat moderately, and I guess that is the point. But, No S is a great framework to start on to get there. I am glad food doesn't have a hold on me either. For my birthday I got a chocolate cream pie. This used to be a crazy trigger food for me, like I couldn't stop eating it. When I legalized foods I don't even know how much of that pie I ate, and how many I had in my freezer at one time. It was pretty amazing to have a piece and a half for my birthday, have a piece the next day, and then forget all about it. I have come a long way and I am grateful.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 am

Wow, it sounds like you are in an amazing place right now and have really learned a lot getting here. And if you can help your daughters to avoid the trap of equating their self worth with their body, that will be a wonderful gift to them! :mrgreen:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:39 pm

Thanks Amy! I hope I can give that gift to my daughters, it is such a careful balancing act.

I have been dealing with acid reflux? Heartburn? I dont' know. I looked it up and it can apparently be a perimenopause symptom. Estrogen does something to our stomach valve? Anyway, I have changed my diet quite a bit since I last posted. All whole grains, lean meats, veggies, and legumes.. I gave up coffee and limit dairy to a few times a month. :shock: And any kind of soda. I still have frozen yogurt sometimes for a treat and occasionally on the weekend I will have a few pieces of pizza with light sauce and cheese and then pay for it that night.

But, I have lost weight. Not as much as you would expect though! I've been maintaining at 162. I have an appointment for a physical with my Dr at the end of June so we will see what they have to say about any of this. I miss the days when I just didn't want to eat a food because it was "fattening" versus not wanting to eat a food because it will cause me pain. Sigh.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:50 am

Oh, wow, I am sorry to hear you are dealing with acid reflux! It sounds like you are really looking at lifestyle factors to improve your symptoms, which is exactly what I did when I started having this a couple years ago (and yes - it was definitely during my perimenopause) - gave up coffee, became really vigilant about not eating anything several hours before bed and avoiding foods that seemed to trigger symptoms. I couldn't tolerate the medication my Dr prescribed, so changing my eating habits (and occasionally using an antacid) was pretty much my only option. But what I want to share with you is that now that I am on the other side of menopause, my acid reflux has resolved itself, and while I am still careful about certain things, I am back to having coffee (I limit myself to two cups per day, before 2 pm or so) and I don't have to be super vigilant about my eating habits. So hopefully for you, it is also something related to your body's changing hormones, and once those get back into an equilibrium, your symptoms might calm down. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, good luck with continuing to rock the lifestyle factors - and the added side benefit of their effect on your weight!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:40 pm

Thank you Amy! That is indeed encouraging to hear and makes me hopeful for a light at the end of the tunnel. I miss coffee! Im glad to hear of your experience because sometimes it's hard for me to believe that this could be a perimenopause thing. It just seems so crazy! Im also so glad to hear that this probably won't be a rest of my life thing! I tried an over-the-counter Nexium for 14 days and that made me feel terrible. I stopped taking that and use antacids as needed. Usually on the weekend where its harder to keep the no processed food low fat thing going. It's hard to eat completely different than my family.

I can tell Im eating healthier and feeling better and my taste buds are slowly changing. And, now my weight has dropped even more and I saw 158 on the scale today for the first time since last year. Looking for the silver lining here. :)

But something else I have discovered is that by eating this way, Im not having as much trouble stopping eating dinner. It really does make a difference what we eat, unfortunately. I think we can still eat what we want but certain foods require more work to be aware and feel that you are satisfied.

Anyway, I will continue to update.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:28 am

Woo hoo to silver lining weight loss! It's funny how these health challenges, if we are lucky, can be an opportunity to clean up our diets for reasons other than weight loss, and then the weight loss is a nice side effect.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:16 pm

Yes! I seem to be maintaining at 158 for now.

In other health news, I finally went to the Dr. and she thinks I have an ulcer. AND after my blood test results came in, I am anemic. She is worried it's from ulcer bleeding but I haven't seen any signs of that at all. But as perimenopause marches on, periods have gotten heavier and heavier, so Im wondering if it's that... so now Im working on eating iron-rich foods, and taking my ulcer meds and I have to go back and get my blood tested again in 2 weeks. I try to stay out of the medical world as much as possible so this has been tough. At the same time, my husband found out he has high cholesterol and is freaking out. They want him to go on Lipitor and he wants to change his diet first. Ahhh getting older, so much fun. :)

Oh but good news! My cholesterol and fasting glucose are great! No pre-diabetes or anything. This is good to know, I had been worried about that.

I had noticed that simple things like vacuuming the living room seemed to make my heart beat faster and make me feel tired but I just figured it was because I wasn't exercising regularly. I also started getting a lot more headaches but assumed it was hormonal. Apparently, these are signs of anemia! Oops.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:31 am

Oh, wow, you guys have a lot going on. Thank goodness your cholesterol and blood sugar were normal. I hope in the end both you and your husband get things sorted out - it is not fun to get hit with that stuff as we get older!!!

But nice that you are maintaining at a lower weight! :mrgreen:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 pm

Thanks! yeah getting older is kind of surprising that way!

Im just grateful I have health insurance for now. I usually try to stay out of the medical system but apparently I needed some help!

Im realizing that small things tire me out and make my head feel like I did intense exercise. This whole time I just brushed it off, it never occurred to me that anything could be wrong. I got iron pills prescribed so hopefully, I will get better over time. Im very motivated to keep taking care of my health though! Honestly, I have felt bad for months, but I just thought it was getting older. Hah!

I have discovered that having a small snack between dinner and lunch really helps me with several things. I don't have a big lunch, and I eat less at dinner. I have experimented with the snack and without and I can really notice a difference in how I feel when I sit down to dinner with a snack versus how I feel when I sit down to dinner without one. When I say a snack, I mean about half an apple. My 10-year-old and I share one around 3ish, and we eat 5ish. Without a snack, I just want to eat everything when I sit down. I care a lot less about eating moderately and I am more likely to make unhealthy choices. With just half an apple, I don't have that feeling. I am more likely to make healthy choices and eat less. My mental state is different. Because I don't have that extra hunger deprivation feeling, I feel different about eating less at dinner too. Not frantic or worried. It's crazy what a difference it makes!

So, I am still following No S, but I have added a half apple snack and it's made a difference.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03 pm

That's really interesting about your half apple, so pleased it is working for you.

Jx

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:50 pm

That's also nice for you and your 10 year old having that moment together

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:46 am

I modified No-S for myself a long time ago to include a discrete one plate healthy snack on N days, and it is generally an apple and a Brazil nut (one Brazil nut a day apparently helps with cholesterol). Like you, I would get way too hungry by dinner time and it would really trip me up. Having the apple helps bridge that gap.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Greetings from Octavia Towers! Just flying by to update my thread and thought I’d pop by your place to say hello. :) Sorry to hear about your recent health scare - though it sounds like the iron tablets will sort it out. You’ll be a new woman before too long! 👍Every year seems to present new challenges, I find - for instance, after a lifetime of no back trouble, I’m now afflicted with all sorts of creaking, groaning and aching. But I’m still managing to eat moderately and in a pretty good routine at present. Sounds like your apple plan is helping! These small things can really make a difference, I find! Good luck for the rest of the summer and bye for now! X

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 pm

Thank you Ladybird! It is nice, maybe we can still do have snacktime together after school when it starts for her again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Soprano! I was really happy about it too!

Interesting about the Brazil nut Amy. Maybe I will have to pass that on to my husband. He has been increasing his fiber to try to help with his cholesterol.

Hi Octavia! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, getting older... good times. I just didn't realize it would start happening this soon! Thanks for the good luck wishes!

So, I had an edoscopy done yesterday and I have no bleeding ulcer. So, like I have been saying all along, the anemia is most likely caused by heavy cylcles with perimenopause. I have started feeling better with my iron supplements. Today I was able to do about an hour of housework before I started getting that lightheaded fast hearbeat feeling. A definite improvement!

But, with no ulcer, and now just apparently acid reflux, Im working on modifying my meal amount. I have modified my diet to death at this point and I can eat more variety than I could, but I think eating just 3 times a day makes my meals slightly too big. So... I guess now I am just Not NO S. My actual diet has never been so healthy though. Basically no processed foods with lots of vegetables and fruits. And no caffeine(sigh) Or dairy(sigh) except I can still have frozen yogurt for some reason so I have been eating that for my S treat every weekend! Im so glad I can still enjoy a dessert.

I started experimenting today with 3 small meals and 2 snacks. We will see how it goes. I only ate half my regular lunch, for example, and I will have a snack this afternoon more substantial than half an apple. And, possibly a snack after dinner as well. I feel like I noticed a difference with a smaller lunch so I will keep tweaking.

My weight has remained about 158/159 which is nice because all the Dr's I have gone to in this past month, I have been weighed A LOT. Its nice to feel good about your weight when they announce it after you step on the scale.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:34 am

What a relief that you do not have an ulcer! And thank goodness the iron is helping! But still a challenge with all the adjusting you are having to do with your diet to manage the reflux symptoms. Hang in there! If it is perimenopause related, it should resolve once your hormones stabilize - keeping my fingers crossed for you!

The foods I focused on eating every day to lower my cholesterol were oatmeal, apples, green tea and a Brazil nut. Good luck to your husband!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:01 pm

Thank you Amy! I hope he can do well with his cholesterol. Pizza is still his favorite food and I don't know if his dietary changes have been enough.

Thank you also for your encouraging story about perimenopause! Im hoping that will be the case for me!

I got my labs back for my iron and I have almost reached the lowest of acceptable levels! I have been feeling so much better and less tired and lightheaded and no more weird random headaches. Im excited to begin working out again, as I had been taking a break from that, along with any strenuous housework.

So, My acid reflux heartburn has greatly improved in the past few weeks. I think my medication is finally working. I can eat less of a limited diet and enjoy much more different foods than I could.

But, snacking so doesn't work for me! I have gained about 4 pounds since I started snacking. I try to eat small meals and make the snack an extension, but I really don't like eating small meals. I always walk away from the table feeling unsatisfied and I think that actually leads to more snacks and bigger snacks.

So, Im not sure exactly what to do. I think when I started snacking I also went back to a lot more mindless snacking. My snacks need to be a lot more structured. So, Im going to start writing down my food every day again until I have a handle on it. That always seems to help.

August 26 2022

B: Shredded wheat, almond milk, berries
S: banana
L: egg sandwich
S 2 slices of apple
D chicken with broccoli, small bowl of frozen yogurt with whipped cream
Last edited by pinkhippie on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:38 am

Yes, writing down my food has been very helpful when I needed to get back on track

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:43 pm

Ladybird, yes it really does make a difference.

I forgot to mention that I got Covid two weeks ago and I lost my taste! I realized that I really rely on my taste to know when I am full. I don't like to eat to the full stomach sensation, I usually stop eating when things stop tasting as good. But without taste, I usually ended up eating until my stomach felt full. I was soooo glad to get my taste back! I really have a new gratitude for my tastebuds and my sense of smell.

Today is a Saturday so there will be more fun foods.

Saturday Aug 27 2022 160 lbs

B: Shredded wheat with berries and almond milk
L a bowl of vegetarian split pea soup, and 2 pieces of Feta toast
D 3 slices pizza, some steamed broccoli, and a bowl of frozen yogurt

I ate only 3 meals today and it felt so much better. I don't know if I can mentally handle snacking. I have been doing No so in one form or another for 12 years now.

I will keep tweaking and see what I can do.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:41 am

Glad your reflux has improved! Yes, I think a few of us have been here for a decade or more, occasionally testing out different approaches, but generally coming back to some form of No-S...

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:56 pm

Thanks Amy! Im glad too! No S is just so sustainable, I always come back to it.

Sunday August 28 2022

160 lbs

B: Grape nuts with berries, half a banana, almond milk
L: 1 piece pizza, half a peanut butter and banana sandwich, a handful of cashews, a few pieces of frozen pineapple
D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:06 pm

Whoops!

Lost some days there!

However, I haven't been snacking, even though I haven't been writing down my food here every day. I have been way more aware. If I get hungry between meals, I have gone back to half a banana or half an apple. No more mindless snacking. And no more after-dinner snacking! That has made a big difference, and I have been at a lower weight for the past few days. Also now having my iron be at pretty much a healthy level, I don't get lightheaded and feel like I have to eat as much, as often and that's great too. If I do get lightheaded in the evening, I will still have a snack though.

Something weird I have noticed is that if I get about to 162 pounds I can immediately see it in my face. My face gets just a little more full and I don't like how I look. It's kind of funny to be able to see that in such a small range. Around 159/160 I start liking how my face looks again.

So, I have been happy with how I look the past few days also.

Thursday, September 1

158 lbs

B: Shredded wheat with berries, almond milk
L: Chicken sandwich
D:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:22 am

Well done on cutting out the mindless snacking.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:54 pm

Thanks, Ladybird!

its been hard today because its after labor day weekend! I was proud of myself for not having dessert last night even though it was a Monday because it felt like Sunday.

Still been holding at 158 pounds.

I think I don't do too well adding my food. I forget to come back and add it. But, I have had mostly successes since I last posted.

I am back to about half an apple between dinner and lunch and I think that is very helpful.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:38 am

hiii hippie! so happy to see you’re still around here! snacking is such a slippery slope for me—i really have to be careful. i hear ya on the face thing too. just a few pounds one way after a certain weight and i see it in my face. good news is a few lbs the other way and voila!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:20 pm

Hi Linda!

Yes its so true about the face!

Well, I went on a very limited acid reflux-friendly eating plan and it's been tough to navigate, but its helped a lot. It also helped me unintentionally lose a few pounds and now I am consistently at 156.

I also got a full-time job which has been a HUGE adjustment. I walk a lot in this job since I am the tech admin lab supervisor at a community college. I walk the whole building constantly helping studetns and instructors with their tech issues. So, healthwise that has been great. But it's so hard to be away from my family so much after staying home for so many years.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:11 am

Congratulations on your new job and on consistently holding steady on your weight - that is great! :mrgreen: Especially considering what an adjustment it must be to be working full time after so many years at home.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:14 pm

Thank you Amy!

It is pretty weird. I have never held a full-time job that wasn't daycare or food service. It's nice to be in the professional world but also more adjusting.

It definitely keeps me pretty regular with my meals though since it's such a strong M-F routine.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Yes, I can imagine a steady work schedule really helps with keeping a regular eating schedule. How does it impact your meal planning and prep to be at work all day?

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:01 am

Such a big change in your life Pink. Congrats on your new job.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:31 pm

Amy, yes meal planning and prep definitely are impacted!

Sometimes I will put together a casserole that my 13-year-old part-time virtual student can put in the oven for me before I come home. Sometimes I will bake chicken breasts or sweet potatoes at 6 in the morning before I leave. It's been really challenging. I have learned lots of quick simple acid reflux-friendly meals and often have the pre-cooked components in my fridge. I usually, cook something over the weekend I can eat most of the week.

Thank you ladybird! Yes, a huge change!

Today my whole family went out to Mcdonald's. I ate nothing and enjoyed their company. Then I came home and cooked myself a chicken breast, a sweet potato and some green beans and corn. For dessert, I made myself a berry sorbet with the blender. I am getting better at navigating the healing phase of the acid-reflux-friendly diet. I didn't feel deprived because I knew eating with my family would cause pain later that wasn't worth it. I have come a long way in the past six weeks or so.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:27 pm

It's amazing how perspective can change what we think of as deprived. When the payoff is avoidance of pain, there's a lot that used to seem like a terrible sacrifice suddenly become perfectly possible. Health reasons are probably THE top category of motivation that ends up working long term, though we see from the prevalence of heart disease that even extreme discomfort and premature death are subconsciously worth it to hundreds of thousands of people a year. I took over a classroom once in which the departing teacher had left behind a little framed paper that said, Too bad ignorance doesn't hurt more. I am not trying to avoid any obvious pain, but knowing how my body reacts to sweets and starches has sure made it easier to let them go. (Though I did feel some envy for people chowing down on pizza and pasta in Italy. I had a few servings, but didn't really allow much more. Spiking blood sugar is way less forgiving than just a temporary small weight gain. The damage has already been done, and you can't feel it.)

Congrats on your new job. I have to admit that a fair amount of my success on No S was starting it while I was working full time, which dictated meal timing to some degree. I was grateful that my high school had a "later" lunch starting at 12:40 p.m. Many schools have an earlier lunch and I know it would have been more challenging to have to go that extra time in the afternoon. My last few years, I worked part time, finishing with formal classes (I still had lots to do and preferred to try to get it done before leaving campus) about an hour earlier, and even though I had been at it for years, I found I had to do some convincing to keep myself on track. It was ironic because when we had long breaks with no structure, I could make it up. I think we are very influenced by setting, and there were cues I was used to that took some adjustment. Water under the bridge now.

I, too, did cooking in the morning! and made batches of simple stuff that I assembled into nice meals later. It was also key. I never would have made it if I had had to start cooking dinner from scratch every night. I marvel at people who do! I also brought lunch a good 95% of the time. Some of the school lunches weren't terrible and they were reasonably priced, but I could still provide myself with better quality (more nutrients and bulk) for about the same price or less. Yeah, full-time work has some advantages beyond salary. And with your job, people must be so glad you've come to rescue them!

I still haven't incorporated resistance work. (I'm here because I hadn't been on the board since I went on a 5-week trip beginning in the middle of August, and you had left a message about my mentioning it as important. Given that Reinhard has worked full time, gotten married and had three kids, though he is not the full time care giver to them, and has done his 14 minutes since 2004, I think, I have no good excuse. But will I get up from the keyboard and do it now? no...

Good luck with this phase of your journey.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:47 pm

Hi oolala!

I can't believe I haven't been here since October! Thanks for the congrats! Now that I am settled into my job, I am much better about being able to take consistent lunches most of the time. Sometimes it's crazy or busy and I can't get away at my normal time of 12:30. I have started having to have snacks. I typically eat breakfast at 6:15 am and can't go to 12:30 or 1 without food. I was just eating part of my lunch around 10, but then I ended up being super hungry when I got home which led to overeating at dinner. So now I have either almonds or a piece of bread with peanut butter. Lunch is usually a sandwich and an apple. (Either peanut butter or turkey) Then I have a banana for a snack around 3ish, and then dinner around 5(Which I usually premake on Sunday and just reheat all week, usually a low acid low inflammation soup or casserole) which I try to keep a very small portion due to reflux. Small frequent meals are my friends now. Just like you, I can't come home and cook a healthy meal from scratch. I walk in the door needing to eat pretty much immediately. People are happy to see me coming, but also frustrated with the tech and upset if I can' fix it. Luckily, I usually can.

But, I have settled in pretty well in my job and my new way of eating.

I am decidedly NOT following No S anymore, which is why I stopped coming by. But, I'm pretty happy with how I am eating these days.

As for my job, I still miss being at home with the kids, but this job is a pretty great job to have if one has to work full-time. The environment is great, my co-workers are great, I love helping the students and the faculty, and I am learning all kinds of stuff, mostly networking. (like servers and things) And, working for a state institution, I get plenty of paid holidays and plentiful vacations. And, we close for inclement weather!

I have just started doing resistance work again because I realize with an office job, no matter how much walking, my muscles are atrophying. We will see how it goes.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 am

I'm glad you're pleased with your eating. I have gone through periods of not using strict No S. Sometimes things got a little out of hand, but only when I was doing fasting protocols where people kept saying to eat anything you want did I end up returning to bingeing. Some foods just trip the overeating wire! But thankfully, I couldn't tolerate the discomfort as much, so it would run a course and come to an end. I give No S a lot of credit for that, and the mental skills I learned.

Congrats, too, on having a job you like! That is a blessing indeed.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:32 pm

Hi oolala,

yes I think that is the nice thing about no S. It makes sense, its easy to implement and it can be tweaked so its very easy to make a lifestyle, veer from it when needed and come back to it again.

I noticed I gained about 6 pounds so I have made breakfast slightly smaller, gone back to just having part of my lunch at snack time, and consciously NOT overeating at dinner. ie just one serving. If I'm still hungry after dinner I make myself a smoothie with almond milk, banana, and fruit.

We will see how that goes for now. Normally when I gain weight I do calorie counting or something but this time, Im just tweaking my food amounts and times and seeing what happens. I'm prepared to be very very patient. 6 pounds is just enough that I can still wear my clothes but they are slightly tighter and less comfortable and I really don't like that. If this current plan doesn't work, I might try going back to strict No S now that my reflux seems to have gotten so much better. I just don't want to change my eating habits and inadvertently make it worse.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:58 am

It's good you are getting on top of a small weight gain before it becomes a large one.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:36 pm

Thanks ladybird!

Its incredibly hard to lose weight just for the sake of losing weight. It really is all about the habits for me. Im still working on my amounts and I think dinner is getting me.

Now I save my banana that I used to have with my cereal for about 10 am and have that as my snack. Then I have my lunch, and possibly another banana before dinner if needed. Otherwise, dinner and a smoothie if Im still hungry. I started that this week. I'm hoping to see some kind of difference soon.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed May 31, 2023 9:01 pm

I seriously cannot do snacks.

I like to be hungry for a meal and then eat until I am satisfied. With snacks I feel like I am constantly eating, never hungry, and having to police myself on amounts in an unnatural way, not due to hunger but due to needing to keep my snack small because Im eating again soon.

Now that I have gotten my acid reflux mostly under control, I have gone back to eating the way I am most comfortable. Mild IF and only 3 meals a day.

Mild IF is not eating breakfast until Im hungry, which is usually late morning. No more forced 6:30 am breakfasts, which then makes me hungry only a few hours later. So, now I have to get out of the habit of snacks. which hopefully shouldn't be too hard.

Im going to keep track of my food again until I get it. Oh also, I started having dessert every single day too. Another by-product of the snacking I think.

Im going to work to go back to my regular pattern of S day starting Friday evening and ending Sunday morning. So dessert on Friday evening, dessert Saturday, but not on Sunday.

My work schedule has changed for the summer which is 10-hour days with Fridays off. A bit more challenging for no snacking but I think I can do it. Typically this means I can't eat dinner until about 6 pm now, rather than 5.

Oh! And I started CONSISTENTLY lifting weights and doing resistance work! Go me! M- F in the morning before work I get weights or yoga in. I've been doing it for about 2 months now.

May 31, 2023

Wednesday

B: Plain Greek yogurt and blueberries ( I think of Auto when I have this for a meal. I miss you Auto!)
L: Peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread(this is my acid reflux-friendly work lunch most days)
D: baked honey mustard chicken with roasted brussels sprouts
Dessert: a few bites of chocolate cake. ( Been eating on this all week with my husband. His mom made this amazing cake and tonight is the last night, only a few bites left. Definitely have some work to do to get back on track.)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:15 am

Not eating breakfast til mid morning is my version of IF also. Congrats on the consistent weight lifting.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 pm

Hi ladybird! Thank you!

At first, it was challenging to do breakfast mid-morning because of work but now that I have been here a while, I usually have time mid-morning to eat some yogurt or even a bowl of cereal at my desk.

Thursday, Jun 1 2023

Weight is 162. Sigh...
BMI: 24.3

B: plain greek yogurt, grapes
L: peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread
D: chicken strips, fries, sauteed broccoli

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:08 am

Friday

B: A few handfuls of peanut butter trail mix
L: baked honey mustard chicken with brussel sprouts
D: chicken nuggets, broccoli, vanilla frozen yogurt with whipped cream.

Saturday

A LOT

B: a few handfuls of peanut butter trail mix
L: 3 pork tacos
a bowl of ice cream
D: sauteed broccoli, ham and cheese hot pocket
2 gumdrops, a pinwheel cookie

Blah I ate pretty unhealthily today and yesterday. My heartburn is feeling it! I am going to do better tomorrow.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:13 am

Hi pinkhippie,
I hope your heartburn has subsided and that your days since Saturday have felt better to you.
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:21 am

Hi WINhappy! Thank you!

Yes, it did subside. Its just my little alarm that lets me know Im not eating the best for my self.

I have really struggled with no dessert on weekdays! It is such an easy habit to fall into and such a hard habit to break after a long period of time.

Sunday June 4 2023

B: waffles and bacon
D: spinach and feta quiche

Usually with a big late breakfast I don't eat lunch. I did snack on some grapes, and a few cookies, and trail mix.

Monday June 5 2023

B: Greek yogurt with grapes
L: spinach artichoke heart feta quiche
D: baked pork chops with roasted potatoes and broccoli
Dessert( husband got me some salt water taffy at the store. I had to have 2 pieces)
Fruit smoothie with banana, almond milk and berries.

Tuesday June 6 2023

B: Greek yogurt with cherries, walnuts, pepitas and dried cranberries
L: spinach artichoke heart feta quiche
D: baked pork chops with roasted potatoes and broccoli
Technically no dessert but had another berry smoothie with my dinner. It's been a good substitute for dessert when I was really struggling with reflux and couldn't eat most desserts.

I will try to do better tomorrow! It's been a real challenge. Technically, every day this week has been a fail. Sigh.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 am

I have every confidence in you, pinkhippie. Sending you good thoughts and well wishes!

WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.