crossthebreeze's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze's check-in

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 am

Hi

I'm new to the no-s diet, it was mentioned in passing on another web forum i'm a member of - i googled it and liked what i read, so i'm giving it a try starting yesterday (October 1st).

I have mostly been overweight all my life - except for a couple of periods in my life in my teens and twenties when i had some seriously unhealthy habits in other respects.

I'm now in my mid-thirties. Over the years, i've tried all kinds of diets and messed-up ways of eating (ands put on more weight than i lost every time). About five years ago I thought i would stop dieting as nothing seems to work for me, and work on improving other parts of my life - but unfortunately i gained lots of weight during a time when i was under a lot of stress - though I've stayed a similar weight for the three years since.

I need to lose weight now as I have some weight-related medical problems which are really affecting me. I have to face the facts that although i'm physically quite fit and strong (I've done a fairly physical job for a few years which is probably how i've managed to maintain rather than increase the weight - and have definatly turned some of the fat to muscle) my waistline and BMI are still not conducive to good health.

Ironically, although I am heavier now than i've ever been, because i've worked through my other issues I feel more comfortable in my own skin than i ever used to, so I don't want to follow any diet plan which will undermine this; No-S seems like it will support positive habits rather than obsessive thinking and self-punishment.

So my goal is to either lose 43lb or to lose 21cm from my waist (while keeping a waist-hip ratio of less than 0.85), whichever I find more achievable, while developing healthy habits and reinforcing good mental health. This will bring me into the healthy range of BMI (I am now obese) or into the healthy indicators of body shape (luckily i'm a pear shape, so I already have a good waist-hip ratio even though i'm fat).

I've been reading some of the testimonies on here and finding them quite inspirational. I know it'll be a slow process, but I have hopes that I can reach my goals on this diet.
Last edited by crossthebreeze on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:39 am

And yesterday - 1st October was a success! :)

I ate three quite large meals. I was a little hungry before lunch, but that is normal and it wasn't too bad. The hard part was about 5.45pm, after work and going to the greengrocers on the way home. I was intensly hungry, and even a bit low-blood sugary. I had to cook and eat dinner right away, instead of waiting until after I'd gone to the supermarket (which I always do on a thursday night). That meant that I was then hungry and craving food later in the evening - but i got through it! I feel great this morning!

That after-work period is my main downfall. I can't eat lunch any later than I do as I have a scheduled lunch break at work (and I already eat towards the end of my break rather than right away). Usually I end up grabbing a snack as I'm leaving work or on my way home or making toast as soon as i get home - but of course more often than not that snack turns into a binge, which sometimes leaves me with no appetite for dinner. So i'm proud of myself for overcoming that, even though it was difficult.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:38 pm

I have followed No S for almost 5 years, and if what you are looking for is a more healthy relationship with food, this is it. Just follow the basic rules and do not add any extra restrictions and see what develops.

I am 59 and had been overweight or obese for 20-25 years when I found NoS. I am still overweight but very active and close to a normal BMI. However, the best thing is how much NoS changed my overall eating habits and my relationship with food. I enjoy food without guilt now, and I am over 50 lbs lighter than I was 5 years ago.

Hopefully you will find the same result. NoS is simple but not necessarily easy at first.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:49 am

thank-you r.jean.
Its good to hear from people who've had success on this diet, and i'm glad that you've managed to lose so much and have a healthy relationship with food.
I'll definately take your advice on no extra restrictions.

So yesterday - 2nd October was a success :) - 3 plates, no snacks, no sweets, no seconds

I managed to last until 7pm for my evening meal, but I think my plateful of curry and rice that i ate then was a bit too big, I was feeling really full afterwards.

today is my first S day :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Welcome you're doing great! Don't worry if your plates are on the big side at first, they will get smaller. Mine were huge at first as it was the only way I'd make it from one meal to the next. Now they're probably 1/3 of what they used to be and I'm never overly hungry between meals ( pleasantly hungry yes). Focus on habit first.

Enjoy your S days!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for the welcome and advice Linda! Its good to learn from the experiance of people who have been on this diet for a while.

yesterday 3rd October was my first S-day :)
It was bit strange after only 2 days of starting a new eating plan to discard the rules so quickly. I ate three meals with one seconds (of chinese takeaway in the evening - which i regretted later because i got indigestion and felt dehydrated from the salt when i went to bed), and two sweets (a single portion chocolate cheesecake and a can of limonata (italian lemon pop)). I would usually have had some alcohol on a saturday night, but didn't fancy any as I'm feeling under the weather.

I still have chinese food left in the fridge to eat tonight which shows how insanely big the portions are from some takaways - between two of us we each had a main (which we couldn't share because i'm vegetarian so had tofu and vegetables in chilli and garlic sauce, the other dish was meat), each main comes with a choice of carbohydrate - so we halved noodles and chips, and one portion of crispy "seaweed" - by tonight that would have done me one large plate and two smaller plates of food!

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:44 am

4th October 2015 - S Day :)

Not much to report - had a pudding after sunday lunch (apple and cinnnamon pancake), went to an event at a bar in the early evening and had one glass of posh pop (rose lemonade) and a couple of bits from the buffet. So two sweets and one snack.

I wouldn't have drunk last night anyway as I don't drink on evenings before work the next morning, but I'm thinking of staying off the booze completely this month. I drink alcohol at some point most weekends (this weekend was certainly the first completely alcohol-free weekend for a few months), and could do with a break from it. I'd like to see if cutting it out improves my (sub-clinical but still distressing) sleep apnea. Also, it'll help me to stick to no-s on a friday evening as i'm sure i'll have less willpower after a glass of wine - and it might help me lose a bit of weight.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 am

5th October - Success

Another three big platefuls, but no sweets,no snacks, no seconds. I left some of my lunchtime plate though - I'd given myself too much hummus and veg. I had to move an open packet of biscuits someone had left in my work room when i got there yesterday morning, and colleagues were eating sweets in the afternoon, but I resited! I found after dinner hard - i wanted something sweet, so i drank a couple of sweet-tasting herb teas which weren't quite what i wanted, but helped.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:37 am

6th October - Success
Another 3 big plates.

One minor slip-up which i'm not counting as a fail: at work a woman from a somali background asked if i wanted tea - i didn't realise that she was actually making a kind of instant unspiced chai with milk, tea, coffee creamer, and sugar (she'd discussed this with other people, but I hadn't heard)! I know that sugar in your tea is allowed, but this was really sweet. I drank about 1/4 cup of it to be polite. I'm not counting it as a fail because on no-s calorific drinks are allowed, and sugar is allowed in tea, and I would have said no if i'd realised what she was making - and i want to be easy on myself.

I got a bit hungry in the evening after dinner but didn't give in.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:22 am

7th October = Success

Stuck to No S though was exhausted by the end of work and in a terrible mood all evening. I had to turn down an invitation to watch the bake off final because i don't think i could have standed looking at cakes for an hour!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 pm

:lol: I know what you mean about Bake Off! I love that when I get home exhausted, I head for the kettle and make my dinner - that puts the fire out usually - then chill for the rest of the evening. Well done anyway - that 'end of work' moment can be a real snack-trigger.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:22 am

Thanls rawcookie! :lol: I caught up with Bake Off last night!
and yes "end of work" is my biggest snack / binge trigger.

8th October = success

3 plates, no Ss. Only funny stuff was at dinner i forgot to put garlic bread on my plate before i sat started eating (i'd left it in the oven) but it would have fitted on the plate at the start anyway, and was always intended to be there.

Tried to use the slow cooker for the first time in ages (i'm trying to be organised and do meal-planning) and it was a bit of a disaster - it would have been done when i came in, but i didn't like the look of it, so i stupidly added some thinly sliced mushroom and courgette to it which of course would have cooked quick in a pan, but this is a slow cooker - so not quick! and i think we'll be eating nothing else for the next few days there was so much of it!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Sorry to read of your slow cooker woes! I can relate... it sometimes makes just too darn much. I often try to freeze things and come back to it when I can face it again, maybe serve it over a different starch, etc. You'll get the hang of it, don't give up. Slow cookers can be so helpful.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:55 pm

1. Congratulations! Sounds like you're off to an excellent start.

2. Sorry about that error message you saw earlier. I assume I'll see it when I post here as well... and hopefully be able to fix.

Huh... actually that worked totally fine. Guess I'll have to poke around in the error log to figure out how to reproduce this.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:28 am

- thanks osoniye - yes i'll persist with the slowcooker - and maybe build up some freezer meals in the process!

- thanks Reinhard for this great site (i'm pleased that there's a forum because I try to stay off facebook) and the whole concept of No S! Yes so far this seems to be going well for me, with a bit of willpower. I hope the error message isn't too much of a headache for you! [edit: got the same error message when i posted this one, but no error message when i edited a spelling mistake]

9th October = Success!

Not much to report, i ate 3 plates and no s's I turned down cake yeaterday but asked if i could take a bit home to eat today. I was offered some popcorn but didn't even fancy any. I think it was easier knowing I would be able to eat whatever i like today. :D

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:37 am

10th October = S Day
a planned piece of cake; an unplanned glass of squash, fairy cake, and small piece of toffee with my friends and their kids; some mild between-meals snacking on cheese, fruit, and left-over pasta. - I didn't feel too stuffed, though didn't enjoy the squash and fairy cake. Otherwise, I had 3 normal meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Welcome to the tribe.

You're doing well! Try not to get too caught up in the minutiae in the beginning. It's easy to feel, like when you're on a diet, that every little detail matters in the beginning, but it's really trends that are important, and they take a few months to a year to establish.

I couldn't have done this without freezing the extra portions I make in pressure cookers and crock pots. Most dinners take less than 15 minutes to pull together because of them. And nearly six years in, small portions of fast food still make it on the plate a few times a week.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks for the welcome oolala53, and the advice!

Yes i think making my own "ready meals" with extra portions is a great idea, and i'm going to try to get into it. Also you are so right - this is for the longterm, so I have to remember its trends and habits that matter more than every detail.

11th October = S Day

A very normal but pleasant sunday with good food (home-made, home,grown apple crumble - yum) but not too much of it.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Yesterday, 12th October=Success

I'm still getting very hungry/food craving in the evenings, but i'm finding ways of coping.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 pm

13th October = success

I'm experimenting with eating more than i used to for breakfast (making sure there is a good source of protein and some carbs), a not-too-big lunch (as I don't like feeling full after lunch, but making sure it contains plenty of carbs) and however much or little on a plate I feel like in the evening (and with no plan as to nutritional balance). This seemed to work quite well yesterday, and has done so far today.

So yesterday (12th Oct) breakfast was 2 poached eggs and 1/2 an avocado on 2 1/2 pieces of sourdough toast, and 1/2 a pink grapefruit, but lunch was a small peanut butter and banana sandwich with a few carrot and celery sticks and an apple. Today (13th Oct) I had a really big bowl of porridge (made with milk) with a whole grated apple and some sunflower seeds, and lunch was a medium-sized portion of rice salad. If this all sounds overly healthy, dinner tonight isn't going to be!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

You're doing really well - it does get easier, doesn't it?! I loved what you've said about asking to take a bit of cake home (I've been doing that - people don't mind do they!) - and not wanting to eat the other snacks - and not enjoying the fairy cake etc. These are all things I've experienced too. I work in an office at the moment where there is ALWAYS a pile of biscuits, cakes, crisps etc - and I watch people graze all day. I really don't even want them! Today I realised that the guy who sits opposite me also abstains - he's a martial arts type of guy and he does snack, but on fresh fruit.

Keep on keeping on.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Not overly healthy. I have never sworn off junk food nor fast food, but I'm pretty sure my regular fare is a lot less processed than the average Jane's. It's just evolved. It's the mix and the volume that counts.

Doing great!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:25 pm

thank-you rawcookie and oolala53 - i'll reply properly in the morning when i talk about today (if that makes sense)

anyway, yesterday (14th October) was a success even though i had a stressful training day at work and so wanted to eat all the chocolate (but had a "Choco Aztec Spice" herb tea and an early night instead.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 am

RAWCOOKIE - yes it does get easier - yes i'm still using willpoer, but my body and mind are getting used to it - it seems to have "clicked" with me. Work is crazy with the temptations though - i have three part-time jobs and they are all bad in their different ways - and I know it'll get worse the nearer it gets to Christmas!

oolala53 - yes, I agree about the mix and the volume counting. I'm confident that I eat plenty of vegetables and am trying to cook from scratch lots of the time (and i enjoy lots of foods that would be considered healthy), but i'm making a point of allowing myself to enjoy small portions of junk food/take aways/less healthy food or to use cheese or butter or white bread in my cooking sometimes - but making sure I have salad or whatever alongside it.

15th October = Success

Yesterday was good - the bigger breakfast with a source of protein thing is really working - I just feel less hungry all day, and its good being able to eat a smaller lunch without worrying about being overly desperate for food after work. I still get hungry before meals, but its less of an "emergency - must eat" situation. I also understand my hunger and food cravings a bit more (I've even looked up hunger and digestion on wikipedia - I'm such a nerd! :lol: ). I love that No S allows me to experience hunger without worrying that i'm not going to get enough food, and lets me experiment and figure things out for myself.

I went to a pot-luck dinner last night. It felt a bit odd serving myself a plate rather than just getting a little bit and then coming back to more, but what was great was I didn't feel guilty about having a mini samosa, a couple of crisps, and a spoonful of pasta salad with a rich dressing on my small plate (along with some green salad) - I just knew i had to avoid the cakes. And i knew that although the plate was smaller than I would usually have for dinner, that it was ok if i got hungry later, i could deal with it, and have a good breakfast in the morning.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 am

crossthebreeze wrote:I went to a pot-luck dinner last night. It felt a bit odd serving myself a plate rather than just getting a little bit and then coming back to more..
Hi crossthebreeze- I'm glad things are going so well for you! I have that situation with pot lucks often. It's kind of expected that you take a little bit and come back for more. It also helps to make sure those at the end of the line get something to eat, too. I'm pretty hungry by meal times, so I'm not quite tempted to put myself deliberately at the end of the line! It is good to think that getting a moderate amount of food on a smaller plate is probably OK, and just make sure some of the food is heavier, as well as including salad. I like your strategy!
Last edited by osoniye on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm

That was a really successful pot-luck - well done!

Thanks for reminding me about Xmas at work! I might get myself a special Xmas food-storage box and put my 'share' of stuff in the box and bring it home - for Xmas!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:41 am

thanks osoniye - I think it helped that there was lots of certain foods - so those were the bowls I took from, and also I hadn't done anything too physically hard at work - so I was hungry but not uncontrollably so.

RAWCOOKIE - that's a good idea, so you don't miss out on anything special.

16th October = Success
This was my first N day spent mostly at home (I had most of the day off because I'm working at an event today). I had a couple of near misses when I started getting something out of the cupboard and then realised "what am i doing - its not lunchtime yet!" but I didn't actually eat anything except for my 3 plates.

Now for my first working S day....

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 am

October 17th - S Day
I was working yesterday, but it was at an event rather than my usual work. I thought I wasn't going to get a lunch break, but I managed to leave the stall briefly, so got a bowl of some delicious greek food - a cabbage and rice roll, beetroot salad, green salad, a small flat bread and a mini feta pastry. I also bought a piece of cake home with me. I had a baked apple for dessert with dinner.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 am

18th October=S Day
A healthier day than planned - we ended up going on a walk instead of to the cinema! So not only did I get more exercise instead of sitting down, I didn't eat any popcorn or drink any pop - although we had already bought some m&ms to share at the cinema, and these got eaten by all of us. Cinema next weekend instead though....

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:39 am

19th October = Success

I stayed late at work then had to make dinner as soon as i got in the house because I was ravenous. Was then busy all evening afterwards, so didn't have a chance for any food cravings to bother me. My plates (except at breakfast) are starting to look less overfull too.
Last edited by crossthebreeze on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 pm

brilliant - nice feeling, isn't it?

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 am

Yes RAWCOOKIE - it shows i'm starting to get used to eating this way.

20th October = Success

I turned down biscuits, oreo cookies, fruit, carrot cake, a mint, and some raw carrot at work yesterday! Stuck to 3 plates, no s's.
Last edited by crossthebreeze on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Awesome!
:D

The reason your color didn't work is the second bracket needs to be [/color] and not [/green] - I think you probably know that :)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 am

ha ha yes fixed - i think that message was written on a busy morning! :lol:

21st October=Success

Since I started: 15 green N days, 6 weekend S days, no red days or extra S days = 21 days! :D Now I need to stick at it for the end of the month.

Yesterday was good although my lunch was a little bigger (but still not massive) than I usually like.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 am

Congratulations on the 21 days. I'm in awe :shock: you took to no-s like a duck to water :)

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:45 am

Thank-you gingerpie!

I think I'm ready for this, having worked through lots of my food issues already, although I'm sure I'll come up to a hump with this sooner or later. I'm also really motivated to lose weight or at least to be healthier due to a medical issue. Writing down clear reasons for losing weight or getting eating habits under control is something I would recommend people do - it really helps to motivate me when I'm wavering.

The accountability of posting here and the support I've got is also really helpful for motivation. Thank-you so much to everyone who has posted on this thread!

22nd October = success
Yesterday was fine - I managed to do a supermarket shop after work but before dinner and only made one impulsive purchase (which i'll eat at the weekend).

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:47 am

23rd October = Success
All good yesterday, and I made a delicious snack/starter turned into a meal (baked aubergine chips with a breadcrumb/parmesan/herb coating with salad, flat bread, and a tahini dipping sauce) and had a glass of apple juice mixed with sparkling water to celebrate it being Friday night while keeping to No S and my alcohol-free month.
Last edited by crossthebreeze on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:50 pm

I used the list (for me, it was reasons to eat moderately, not lose weight, but I have) religiously for several months in the beginning. It was pivotal for me. The exceptional self-motivated person doesn't realize that she often has her motivations front and center in her mind. The rest of us have to not only write them down but read them often.

You sound like you're having a good time. Yay!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Yes oolala53 - i'm having a fun weekend! - and I definately agree with you about the motivation.

24th October = S Day

I had a fairly moderate S day because I was just too busy - a piece of flapjack and then some toast to test the toaster I'd just bought.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Busy definitely helps me. I wish there were more things I was willing to be busy with!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 am

Yes busy is good - so long as I'm not too busy to cook meals. At the moment I've got lots of work on, and I'm on a bit of a mission to sort our house out (in terms of deep cleaning, decluttering, decorating, appliances - the lot really) because we've really not kept on top of things very well over the last few years - so I've got a long to-do list, and am really pushing myself to get on with things. It helps me to have a project to work on, and making our house more functional and beautiful seems like a worthwhile project.

25th October = S Day

I had a good day - I went to the cinema, and cooked and ate a nice meal. I enjoyed the dessert I made (vanilla poached figs with creme fraiche) and a small piece of dark chocolate I had, but didn't enjoy the popcorn or drink of pop I had at the cinema so much.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:22 am

26th October = Success

3 plates, no s's yesterday. I had a real craving for something sweet last night, but resisted.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Work that resistance muscle! It pays off, even if there are intermittent failures.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 pm

well done! everytime you resist that craving it strengthens the habit of No Snacking - good work!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks rawcookie and ooolala yes i've definately been strengthening my resistance muscle!

27th October = Success

OMG the cravings for sweet, sugary, chocolately stuff continued yesterday although I've resisted them so far (I added a sweet egremont russet apple to my dinner which helped). I'm not sure if its because I didn't eat much sweet stuff at the weekend (only one dessert really) or because its samhain/halloween this weekend and I'm thinking about toffee apples and sweets for kids, or because I've not been eating enough fruit, or because I'm coming to the end of my alcohol-free month (and alcohol is sugar really) or its the stage I'm at with this diet... who knows?

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Who knows, indeed! put toffee apples and sweets on your menu for the weekend and enjoy them!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:27 am

Tough days though there may be, it's very unlikely you'd be any happier any other way. You're doing great.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Thank-you for the encouragement oolala53 and rawcookie!!

28th October = Success

I made sure I ate a piece of fruit as part of each plate of food yesterday, and drank lots of herb tea, which helped to keep my cravings under control. I'll definately be eating sweet things this weekend!

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:28 am

29th October = Success

Yesterday was a good day with far fewer cravings. I managed to go shopping and get some sweet stuff to share at the weekend without wanting to eat it all. Dinner was a bit odd because I was using different leftovers up including a small portion of soup but I'm pretty sure it wasn't more than a plateful in total - it certainaly didn't look excessive compared to what I'd usually eat, and I didn't feel overfull.

I've just got to get through today, and then saturday is and S day (and when I'm going to weigh/measure myself), and then I will have completed a full month of no s!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:48 am

Hi crossthebreeze- Sounds great! Congratulations on 1 month of NoS habit! I hope you see some nice metrics to go with your habits, but even if not, I trust the feeling of moderation will be worth your efforts!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:37 am

Here's to a moderate, enjoyable Halloween and a happy Monday.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:10 am

Thank-you osoniye and oolala53! I hope you both have a fun (but morderate) weekend too!

30th October

Well there was no way I was going to give way to temptation on the last N day of the month, so while I let my housework and various other things go to pot yesterday (due to odd working hours and getting a migraine last night) I stayed away from any snacks sweets or seconds.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:19 pm

:D congratulations on your victory!

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:41 am

Thankyou gingerpie!

31st October = S Day

So yes I got some halloween sweets I've been craving, didn't overdo it though.

and my results for the month...

I've lost 4.8kg (10lb 9oz) in weight, which means my BMI has gone from 33.7 to 31.9.

I've lost 5cm off my waist, and 5cm off my hips (which keeps my waist-hip ratio under 0.84). I've also lost 1cm off my neck (which is good for sleep apnea reasons).

And gold in personal olympics on no s! And I've completed the Go Sober for October challenge!

I'm really, really pleased with these results! :D

For November, I'm going to drink, but stick to glass ceiling and no alcohol on nights before work.
I'm going to cut down portions a little (well be aware of what i'm eating anyway, and fill up my plates with raw/plain-cooked veggies).
And as the weather gets worse and days get shorter (and so my work gets less strenuous) I'll make sure I excercise in some way if I haven't done as much physical activity at work that day.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:57 am

Wow! You should be pleased! I follow a similar glass ceiling plan and love it. I didn't realize until I stopped having a glass of wine every night how much it effected me. I feel much better now and I sleep better as well. (I think my family would also report that I'm overall less grouchy ;)

Hope your next week goes as well as this one.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Wow, crossthebreeze, congratulations on the 4.8kg weight loss and the gold in personal olympics on NoS. That's great. Sounds like you have a good plan for next month. I wish you continued success!!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Those are fantastic results, esp. because they came from such reasonable habits, no? November habits sound good, too. Step by step! Better to ease into tougher habits. If we strain ourselves soon and don't get the results we want, there isn't much room to make things tougher.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am

Thankyou gingerpie, oolala, and osoniye!

gingerpie - I find that even 1 drink can affect me at work the next day, but I would like to have a moderate drink occasionally. Its good to know something similar works for you.

oolala53 - yes no s builds such reasonable and moderate habits! and I agree - I'll do this in babysteps!

1st November = S Day

I ate a little to sunday dinner, and a few to many left-over sweets later on - it wasn't a binge in the least, but I did feel a bit tired and full in the evening. I guess S days are about learning these things! :oops:

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, exactly. Just learn from it and move on. You'll establish your habits during the week that will eventually carry you through the weekend (and the rest of your life :)

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Thank-you Gingerpie

Ok, so 2nd November = success
Monday was fine and I managed good portion control without feeling hungry.

3rd November =success
Yesterday was a good day too.

4th November = failure
well it had to happen sometime didn't it!

I work as a gardener, one of my jobs is working at a community centre which has a garden. Today at lunch my collegue offered me some pickle that a women's cooking group at the centre had made (using some of the vegetables from the garden) so I added some to my plate without even thinking even though I'd already started eating. Then tonight, I did some outdoor cooking with a group of children, using some of the food we'd grown - sweetcorn and potato, and it seemed like bad form not to eat some even though I knew it wasn't enough for a meal, then I had a hot chocolate with them too. Then when I got home I was still hungry so I had toast and some yoghurt. So definitely a red day!
:oops:

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:18 am

Sounds like it could almost qualify as a virtual plate of supper, but probably best to mark it red and move on. (I guess the hot chocolate was probably a sweet.)
-Sonya

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:49 am

Yes I counted the hot chocolate as a sweet (and had a little too much toast to make it a virtual plate).

5th November=Success

I'm back on track. Yesterday evening was tough because I did my supermarket shop, and got delayed several times, so I wanted to eat anything I could get my hands on by the time I got home, but I waited it out until I'd made dinner.

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:12 am

I've had a bad week, but I'm getting back on track now.

6th November = success
A very busy day, I didn't have time to think about food much. I was very hungry by dinner time, but managed wait and then ate a reasonable-sized plate.

7th November = S Day
I went out and had my first drink of alcohol for about 6 weeks! I stuck to glass ceiling though.

8th November = S day
I woke up feeling lousy - earache, sore throat, achey, and with an old injury flaring up. I had a few Ss, but wasn't in the mood to overdo it.

9th November = S day
Still feeling awful, so I took this as an S for Sick day. I wasn't in the mood for eating big meals, so ate little and often, and had a few medicated sweets and honey and lemon drinks to keep me coping at work.

10th November = S Day
Another Sick S day. I took the day off work. Pretty much the same as on Monday.

11th November = failure
My throat and ears were better but my shoulder injury and tiredness wasn't, I had another day off work, and I was in a terrible mood. I ended up binging on whatever food I had in the house (toast and peanut butter, dark chocolate, frozen bananas). I ate far more than I would consider for reasonable for a sick day, so a failure it is.

12th November = success
Still tired and sore and in a bad mood, but back at work. I was really strict about only eating 3 moderate plates though.

13th November = success
Feeling a little better, but still tired. I was really hungry before lunch and had to stop to eat earlier than usual (maybe I hadn't had enough breakfast) but a moderate amount of lunch satisfied me and I managed through to the evening. I had some friends round for dinner - I decided not to cancel after all, and that went well. Fruit for dessert (I left enough space on my plate for an apple) and nobody wanted alcohol, so it was easy for me to stick to fizzy spring water.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm sorry to read that you've been so unwell - hope you have a better weekend.

Thanks for commenting on my thread - I only had the bad dreams on that one night. It wasn't really a 'bad' dream - but seemed like I was processing some old emotional hurts.

Keep going - you're doing great!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks rawcookie - I hope you have a good weekend too!

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:18 am

14th November = S Day
I was working at an event yesterday, and didn't have time for a lunch break, so had various tastes of food over the day - I guess snacking was my S for the day, as I didn't have any sweets or seconds. I ate a too much for dinner (I felt over-full), but it was one plate. I had a drink in the evening, but stuck to glass ceiling.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:25 pm

You are definitely getting there.

I don't call hot chocolate a sweet, but I am judicious in having it, especially out. At home, I make it with stevia. Yeah I've probably kept my sweet tooth going longer than I need to, but it's a price I'm willing to pay. Others don't feel it's worth it. You get to choose!

Isn't a a drag when it seems necessary to eat for good form? Our "forms" are part of the problem! Yet, it does sound like yours was compelling. If you know you have something like that coming up, you can plan to virtual plate it. I'd say it's the randomness that is more risky than choosing to split things. Not the ideal habit, but it probably doesn't have to come up much.

Reminded me of an anecdote from a book by an American who lived in France for a year or two. For some reason, she was part of a group that wanted to help promote local farmers' food, and she had the idea to pass out samples of cooked food at the outdoor market. She got very few takers a lot of disapproving looks for trying to get people to eat outside of meal time. I think they feel similarly about children, though kids do get a snack around 4 p.m. given that their dinners are often later than ours.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 am

thanks oolala53 - I flicked through a book called "French women don't get fat" on a friend's bookshelf a while ago. I think that was the what it was arguing - that France doesn't have a snacking culture at all, good "form" there is more conducive to staying slim than polite "form" in the UK or USA - so they can get away with sometimes food that looks indulgent to us at their meals.

15th November = S Day
I had a quiet day at home. I had some jam and a croissant for breakfast, a nice lunch, followed by some chocolate in the afternoon,and a light evening meal.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 pm

How've you been?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23