My marvelous semi daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bizzybee

My marvelous semi daily check-in

Post by bizzybee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm back. I seem to come back every other fall or so.

So, I know the basics, I know what works and doesn't work and I am starting tomorrow, hoping to get 21 days strung together. I have no need for a NWS day in the next 3 weeks.

I will spend today trying to detox from Halloween candy.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Now is a good time to start a 21 day streak: ready, steady, GO!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Welcome back. Always glad to see old cyber friends.

bizzybee

Can we just pretend I didn't leave for 4 months?

Post by bizzybee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 pm

4 months later and 10 pounds heavier - I'm over 240, (241.2) that's the highest in many years. I'm 43 and I Know I need to get a handle on this. It seems to be harder every year.

Ok, so I had several green days last week. I was practicing. Over the weekend, a ton of sweet stuff appeared in my home. I did not buy it or make it, but I certainly ate it. I was eating apple pie at 11:30 PM Sunday night, saying, "it's still an S day"

Today has felt good in that "I have a plan" way.
I knew I was meeting a friend for sushi at lunch time so I ate a really small breakfast. I was very hungry by 1:00 and the food was really excellent. I had to do a little virtual plating as we shared a couple of rolls, but I left feeling comfortable and not stuffed and turned down dessert.
Now, I am awaiting the return of my children from practice, they will be starving. I made a creamy mushroom chicken soup and I am going to press some turkey and avocado paninis to go with it.

About my head space-

Both of my kids (who are now 15 and about to be 19) are in serious training right now, my daughter is becoming a personal trainer and is still rowing competitively and my son is pushing hard to be moved to the varsity 1 boat this season at his rowing club. He says he needs to lose some fat and get faster. I think he looks amazing but I guess he isn't in high performance athlete shape. He's over 6 feet now and I am still just amazed he's grown up so much every time he walks through the door. I would never ever have thought I'd have athletic children.

So, I am trying to watch their good examples for being healthy. It's ridiculously be this fat and have a daughter who is studying exercise science and hopes to be a professional coach, a son trying to be recruited for college...It's not like I don't understand how calories and nutrition work. Meanwhile my husband is the same weight he was when we met 23 years ago. I am the odd one out in this lean family.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 am

I imagine the others in your house have a really high metabolism either due to activity level or nature. It's tempting to eat as much as those around us, even when we don't have a metabolism to match. The one plate rule is so helpful for that!
It's great to check in frequently for the support, if you are so inclined! Hope to see you here often. I wish you all the best.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm headed into Wednesday with two green days, like Bernie, I've got momentum. :P My husband and I both took the day off to get the house ready for our daughters Birthday party on Friday, do some shopping,have a nice lunch etc. So it's a mid-week date day.

I am going to be cooking up some quiches and delivering one to our neighbor because she keeps making me pies. She is a marathon runner, why does she make so many pies? I am also going to grill some chicken that needs to be cooked, I'm thinking honey chipotle skewers, grilled pineapple and zucchini.