Maggie Mae's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

Re: Maggie Mae's daily check in

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks for the tip! I love coffee with milk so that would be awesome. I did great yesterday. I had to sit on my hands from 3 o'clock til dinner. Wanted to eat so badly. Ended up eating out at a restaurant where we always share a dessert. I could've resisted but didnt. The three of us shared a piece of chocolate cake and we still didnt finish it. Even though it made me mark yesterday as a red day, i still feel good about it. I resisted snacking and even though i had dessert, it was good to know that it was a social thing. Sharing and having fun. Normally i would've said wth and came home and ate all night or not even try today. Something's different this time. Just for reference i weighed myself this morning. 212.0. Going to try to not weigh again for a while.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:25 pm

Well, my first week back on No S has been a success. Not perfect, but a success.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

Other than sharing a piece of cake with my family at dinner last night, I have not had snacks or desserts, which is unbelievable for me! My mods are #1: that I can have soda/lemonade with my meals if I want and #2: If I get hungry I can have a glass of milk with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup. We usually eat dinner pretty early , like 5 or 530, so in the evening I usually have the chocolate milk so I don't go to bed hungry. I've done this for years when I have trouble sleeping. Always helps me go to sleep.

I've kind of come to terms with not losing weight, so just doing this to get sanity around food. It would be wonderful if I stick to this long term and a year from now my weight is down 15 pounds or so, but I wont hold my breath. I felt normal this week. It feels good to write a grocery list and just plan meals instead of, okay let me think....what am I allowed to eat this weeK?? Am I buying low carb stuff? Low fat stuff?? Ugh, so tired of buying a list full of special food and then after a few days going back to eating like a crazed person. My blood sugar feels more stable eating 3 planned meals. Although, I did get hangry this afternoon as lunch didn't happen until 1:45. I was getting pretty grouchy.

B: toast with peanut butter, activia yogurt, coffee with milk
L: Italian sub from Papa John's, mountain dew
D: Sweet and sour chicken with steamed rice (I cooked at home), half a natural granola bar, coffee
Later I'll have my glass of chocolate milk

Tomorrow I'm taking my son to visit my brother's family for the weekend. His son is turning 15, so there will be cake and ice cream! woo hoo. haha. Looking forward to my S days. Hoping not to eat junk because I'm allowed to. Hoping to start carrying the sane eating over to weekends, as well.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 am

Your plan sounds pretty good to me. I especially like the chocolate milk mod :). I don't sleep well if I go to bed hungry, and a glass of milk takes care of that for me, too.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Well it's been a while. Just wanted to drop in. I like going back and reading past entries. It's kind of like a diary for me. I've started a new med for my MS. I'm still walking and working, though only a few days a month. Due to my medication lowering my immune system and this whole covid thing, i only see the few patients I've had for a long time. My hubby works in a lab testing the covid samples and now works swing shift. That has me really down. It is messing with me, especially when he doesnt get home until midnight. Next week i will resume homeschooling my son. He will start second grade. He is doing so well with lots of things, in spite of his autism. My dad passed away unexpectedly last month. Took him to the ER for extreme arm pain....he had been having pain in arms and back for 3 weeks but that day he couldn't use either arm. They diagnosed him in ER with multiple myeloma that had spread all through his bones. He never came home from the hospital. Passed away 17 days later. Guess now is as good a time as any to get back on habit. I've been out of control lately as I'm a stress eater, but i have to love myself enough to reign it in.
Same mods as i had started in my last post ( soda or lemonade with meals sometimes and a glass of chocolate milk if i can't sleep). I also have been making a smoothie a few days a week to help get in more fruits and veggies....its a cup of frozen berries, a cup of spinach, and a banana. I throw in 3 chunks of frozen pineapple for sweetness and add unsweetened almond milk to thin it down. I will allow that as a snack some days, as i dont want to replace a meal with it, but i do need to increase my fruit and veg intake. I can always reevaluate that down the road. I'm just trying to reign in the out of control snacking /junk food intake I've had lately.
So far today is green. I might make my smoothie later.
Looking forward to reading around on the board and catching up with everyone.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi Maggie! Welcome back!

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. Sounds like you have a lot going on right now.

I like your smoothie idea! I am back after a long absence myself.

I hope to see you around more. :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 am

Hi, pink hippie! Thanks!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:53 am

Well, here I am. Five years after starting this thread. I believe I started trying to lose weight 5 years ago, weighing in at 193. Now I fluctuate between 212 and 215. I have dieted myself up 20 pounds heavier. My mom basically begged me to lose weight a few weeks ago and I was doing great tracking calories on My Fitness Pal, but I binged a few days ago, and again today. I was doing great staying under my calories, but I was hungry all the time, because I would eat small meals so I could save my calories up for sweets in the evening. I was basically using my calories on junk food. I feel awful, my skin is breaking out. I feel so out of control. This evening I found myself researching diet pills and appetite suppressants. I took a step back and said, whoah. I am not going down that road again. Why can't I do this? I feel like I am a hopeless case. As much as I want to lose weight, get out of the obese category, look better in clothes, the main thing I'm begging for is peace with food. I know that No S is the way to do it, but WHY do I keep sabotaging myself? Why is this so hard? I feel like there's something wrong with me. I'm not even coming on here to commit to getting back on No S, because I don't feel like I'm in a place to start yet. Maybe I'll start the week after Christmas. Give myself a week to mentally prepare. I'm just baffled at people who eat when they're hungry and then don't think about food again until it's time for the next meal. I know a big part of my snacking is because I'm home with my son all day, except for the 3 or 4 days a month that I work. My MS fatigue is really bad right now so exercise (other than yoga) is basically non existent. I have taken a few walks the last few weeks, though. Thanks for listening to me ramble , if anyone is reading this. This board is filled with the best people. I have received so much encouragement over the years, and I feel like I'm letting everyone down. I think that's why I've stayed away so long. Maybe I'm just having a down day and throwing myself a pity party. Lol. I REALLY want to do this. I want to change my habits, and come out on the other side to help others who are starting on No S.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 am

Hi Maggie Mae! It's great to see you again! Sorry to hear you are struggling but I think we have all been there or are there right now. I don't know HOW many times I have recommitted to No s or stayed away because I strayed from the No S principles. In fact, the reason I came back this last time is similar to you. I had been calorie counting fro a long time and at first, it was easy but eventually, I was SO HUNGRY all the time, I realized that this was not sustainable and I couldn't continue to live this way, but that I needed something to give my meals structure. And so I started doing No S again.

And vanilla No S doesn't necessarily work for everyone, I think it's just a simple way of eating moderately that a lot of us have to tweak to make work for us. That is what I have seen over the years.

Anyway, I hope to see you around again! Welcome back!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:52 am

Thank you, pink hippie! I appreciate you stopping by and always giving me encouragement!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:29 am

I have just read your post. I really feel for you.

That person that doesn't think about food in between meals is available to everyone but it's a journey getting there.

Don't put off starting just because Christmas is looming, to lose weight and keep it off you have to make permanent changes. Stop thinking about it as a diet.

Commit this minute to start your journey. Then put a plan in place.

No food is denied to you. That is a real big thing to learn after years of dieting.

You can do this but I gently suggest Nos alone may not get you there. Have you read any intuitive eating books? Any books about fasting or carb addiction?

Nos is a brilliant structure to work with but what I learnt from reading other books too really helped me become that person that is no longer held to ransom by food.

You only fail if you stop. Know now there will be red days it is part of the journey.

Good luck

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks, soprano! I have read the intuitive eating book and I've done 16:8 IF off and on over the years. I found it easy, but never had any weight loss. I believe I am carb addicted. I will look into other resources along with No S to try to help me fix my relationship with food.
You're right. I've just got to make a plan and follow through.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Maggie, I’m so sorry that you are struggling!! Calorie counting was terrible for me. And this diet mentality belief that carbs were the enemy. I’m someone who does best on a pretty high carb diet with fat & fiber to give it staying power. When I tried to limit carbs it never worked. I by no means have the perfect relationship with food, but once I upped my carbs & habituated the foods I struggled with the most (I’m still finding ones I need to work though) I did quit binging which made things so much better!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:49 pm

Thank you, Jen! I'm glad to hear you're finding what works for you. Yes, i tried low carb and keto several times this year....just like I do every year. I must've done it wrong last time,right? Lol. Nope. Every time, it leaves me feeling depressed and awful. My body likes carbs,too. I am a sweet addict. My biggest problem, hands down.
Thanks for stopping by! Glad to know you're still around. I like seeing all these familiar "faces".

Jen1974

Re: Maggie Mae's daily check in!

Post by Jen1974 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Me too!! I was happy to see your thread today (:

I hope you find what works for you!! It feels awful to struggle with food but it’s not your fault!! I swear it’s a mix of diet mentality where restriction leads to rebellion & foods that are engineered to mess with our hunger/fullness cues & are easy to eat for reasons that have nothing to do with hunger!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Sounds like you have the right attitude this time, I'm sure you will find your groove. We are all learning and adapting. I wasn't necessarily advocating low carb, IE or fasting. I just found what Ilearned about from them helped Nos click.

Those that appear to do well do seem to adapt Nos to work for them.

Good luck

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:05 am

Hi Maggie! Nice to see you on the boards!

I'm struggling a bit right now too. I think that learning to eat properly to care for our bodies is a lifelong struggle in the industrialized world. Humans haven't lived long enough with processed foods for our brains or metabolisms to adjust!

Food addiction is something I've learned a bit more about over the years. I think it is really common, but so stubborn to fix because - well - food is everywhere! Ultimately, I think people have to control their environment rather than depend long-term on willpower. It's super hard with kiddos in the home, I find.

Anyway, we are all here for you. No shame, I'm so glad you shared where you are at. And congrats on 5 years of NoS, whether or not you've followed it the whole time. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:08 am

Hi, Automatedeating! Thanks for your encouragement!