Checking in! Now daily!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sabi

Checking in! Now daily!

Post by Sabi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello, I am a powerlifter and I love pancakes! Unfortunately, neither nutella nor pancakes are a macronutrient, which someone definitely should fix at some point, but until then, here we are.

I need to keep my weight in check for competitions and don't find last minute (or any minute) diets very appealing. This feels like a more sustainable and common sense approach to help me eat just enough, and more quality grade food as well.

Here is what today looked like and I would say it is a pretty typical day or even better than usual:

10:00 protein bar
11:00-13:30 (workout) fistful of gummy bears
14:00 protein bar
15:30 a real, healthy, and tasty meal! Hail the dark lord
15:45 quark for dessert since the meal was low on protein
19:00 too lazy to cook, so I scavenge a protein bar, more quark, an apple, some gummy bears, and some frozen berries

You get the picture!

I'll add that I am almost 30 years old, female, and a serious athlete at this point. There is no excuse. My eating right now is not only chaotic and expensive, it's also not doing me any favors in terms of body composition since I vacillate between eating too much and eating too little.

I've done the No-S before and vaguely remember being successful for a month or two, it just didn't stick, I'm already at a healthy weight so once I was back in my weight class there was simply no incentive to keep it going to make sure the good habits got entrenched.

This time around, that is my main goal.

See you tomorrow!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm sure athletes can benefit from rational, consistent eating routines, too. Everyone can. No culture has done well with most of its individuals eating erratically.

Try to think of what foundation you want to have five, ten, twenty years in the future. You can always have adjustments for your sport, but only the extras need to change to accommodate the special circumstances. It seems athletes that don't have some kind of foundation are vulnerable to some real problems when they no longer participate in the sport.

I humbly suggest you try to make at least two meals a day"real." Have real recognizable foods on a plate and have a "meal" experience. Try to adopt the attitude that you are eating for life, not just for your sport, at those times. Believe me, you are going to be very grateful at age 40 that you have such sane habits. I know that sounds far off now, but at least consider what Aunt Oolala is saying...

:wink:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sabi

Post by Sabi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:40 pm

I completely agree oolala and very well put!

I have not had a flying start, but am moving towards the runway at a humble pace. Monday was a holiday and scrambled my training schedule (had to train at a different facility 2h away and ended up falling for the convenience food), but I cooked my first proper dinner in a while, something I've continued.

Tuesday, Wednesday and today I scarfed breakfast on the train, but I did have one, and at the same time. I also had a proper lunch Tuesday and Wednesday but grabbed a shake today.

I've cooked a proper dinner meal four days in a row now, which I am super happy with. Poor grocery and nutrition planning has meant a lot of snacking or even a second dinner so that is my next step to change.

Tomorrow and throughout the weekend I should be able to actually make some plan for the day (and hopefully stick to it!). Actually let me write it down:

Friday I need to grocery shop and keep it in my pants snackwise before dinner. I'll be training away and won't be home until late, so dinner will be a bit weird, but I'll make it work.

FRIDAY
- Lunch
- Preworkout
- Dinner

Saturday and Sunday I need a bit different schedule for but they are "S" anyway so this can work great.

I would like to keep it in my pants with snacks over the weekend too though, as this is what kills my budget and appetite, grabbing convenience food before I have a chance to get home and cook some real stuff.

SATURDAY
- Breakfast/Preworkout
- Lunch and dessert
- Dinner and dessert

SUNDAY
- Lunch/Preworkout
- Small meal/Postworkout
- Dinner and dessert

Pray for me, friends :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Nut butters, nuts, cheese, plus fruits are pretty convenient, no?

It's become such a habit to have basic food groups on hand, partly because I'm on the lookout for them when I shop, that I rarely have an excuse not to assemble a meal. Grains are cooked in quantity and frozen; meats often, too. I also keep some decent quality sauces around. And I do pay for big bags of cleaned greens and for some frozen veggies. Most meals can be assembled in ten minutes.

Dang, I'm on vacation and had a late breakfast so I want to delay lunch, too, but this is making me hungry!

Are you a competitive powerlifter?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Welcome, Sabi, and looking forward to following your check-ins!

Yougothis

Post by Yougothis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:37 am

Hi I'm looking forward to following you. I too am a serious athlete (amateur level) - in triathlon. I'm pretty competitive but can never seem to give my diet the focus it should have. Whilst I'm certainly within weight range I'm not lean and after a few months off season I've easily put back on weight again. Like you I've tended to switch between low calorie (definitely not enough to sustain my training levels) and overeating

I'm not sure whether no s will be entirely compatible with endurance training as snacking is encouraged. Problem for me is that no matter how much I eat for main meals I could spend the day snacking if I allowed myself.

I will probably look to take in extra food before and during training on my N days - this will be a mod I'll figure out over time. To sustain me through these longer or harder sessions, I ordinarily have pure sugar gels or drinks and I won't change that as I know it benefits my training.

Hope you're tracking well since your last post.