something new

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I have been following No S since September and I have lost about 15 pounds so far. I have been very consistent about using the HabitCal and tracking my weight...well until the last month. I still track my weight but I was doing so well with the No S program I thought maybe I didn't need the HabitCal anymore. Wrong... I haven't gained weight, but I have stopped losing. So now I am back to HabitCal and I thought I would add in the daily check in to do something different.

Anyhoo...I do very well generally during the week and lose weight...weekends I don't think I go crazy or anything, but I usually gain back some of what I lost during the week. A great weekend is a break even. My struggle during the week is when I cook dinner. I am the primary cook for my family...mostly because I enjoy cooking and I like having control of what we eat. I mostly follow a plant based diet during the week and vegetarian to pescatarian on the weekends. But I tend to snack or "taste" while I cook. This is a big challenge for me. I need to think of a "rule" to help me set acceptable boundaries, because when you cook there does need to be a reasonable amount of tasting. And on weekends...I think I need to be more active. During the week I exercise everyday...weekends not so much.

Last night when cooking dinner...too much tasting...red day :( Monday and Tuesday were ok. The goal is for today to be green too. :D
amy:)

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey, 13plus.

Good to have you.
Good luck.
And you bring good news, what with the weight loss and then stability.

I have personally found checking in daily very helpful.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

13plusyears

somthing new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri May 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Last night was a success :D So yesterday was GREEN! This morning my weight was down 2 pounds from Monday. But now its Friday...so the weekend is coming. And since its Mother's Day weekend there will be BBQs and brunch and adult beverages. They are S days so not a worry there, but it doesn't seem to matter that even if I have S days that not out of control...most of the time I gain weight back. All of April I lost and gained the same 2 pounds. Just a little frustrating... I'll try to make sure I go for a walk or something on both weekend days...see if that helps.

Thank you Jackn for your warm welcome and kind words :)

I will check back in on Monday... have a lovely weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 pm

:lol: Jackn & I exchanged comments about spoon licking recently - and he came up with No Spoon-licking, except on S days. In other words, make No Spoon-licking another of your No S words?

I also love to cook - and have now managed to stop tasting except when REALLY necessary - and then I use just the very tip of my tongue. It's doubtful, if you are an experienced cook, that you really DO need to taste-check everything. People can always adjust the flavour of their meal slightly at the table. I'm stretching my neck out a bit here - but I think spoon-licking is a habit (don't hit me!) :?

oh, and, my weight goes up every weekend - but the overall trend is a slow, but definite, downward one - keep going!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm

Weekend was lovely...nice visit with my family and plenty of yummy foods. I don't think I went crazy or anything, but still weight was up on Monday morning. Both Saturday and Sunday were S days.

Monday was green! :D I was very hungry as I made dinner but I did well at only tasting what I was cooking to adjust seasoning/flavor...no snacking!

RawCookie...you are correct in that spoon-licking is a habit...one I am trying to break. But not tasting anything I cook until it is on the table except on the weekends will not work for me. I rarely cook from recipes and I make most food from scratch...some tasting is needed. For example, last night I made tartar sauce from scratch...and not by a recipe either...so tasting and adjustments were needed. My goal is to stick to just that...tasting that is needed...not just making sure the olives from the this can are good :wink:

I think when I stopped doing the HabitCal I started a slow slide in letting little failures creep into my everyday practice. I am hoping that returning to the HabitCal and adding in the daily (almost) check-in I will put a better check on my habits...

Happy Tuesday :D

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Most of my day yesterday went very well...but I ended poorly...so a RED day :( :oops: :x

I have been focused on reducing my "tasting" during cooking to just essential for the meal. And I did very well with that yesterday, even though I was starving when I got home. I started dinner early so I could eat! And the tasting while cooking was very minimal...in general a success.

However, an hour or so after I ate, my son came home from baseball practice and I started to fix him a plate for his dinner. Part of dinner was an excellent Greek salad but with watermelon. It was very good. I had my one full plate with plenty of the salad so I didn't have any seconds when I ate. But when my son was done with dinner, there was a little of the salad left over...and I knew it wouldn't keep. I tried to get my son or husband to finish it off because I just didn't want to throw away such good food...especially the watermelon, a really good first of the season watermelon. My son ate a little more...but I snacked!!! UGH! :( I usually don't have an issue with snacking or seconds...but there I was eating watermelon and feta cheese out of the salad bowl in the kitchen. After several bites I finally got my act together and threw the salad away...but day ruined. Totally bummed...and totally my fault, my behavior...I knew what I was doing. It wasn't like half way through I realized what I was doing. Nope, there I was from the beginning...knowing not to do it and knowing to stop.

Since September when I started No-S, this type of behavior has not been much of an issue for me...I have no idea what happened last night. This is the first time that I decided to cook early and eat early...knowing that my son will have to eat later. Not that we always eat together every night...we try to but sometimes that just doesn't work. But this is the first time, I think, when I said...That's it! I'm starving...I'm cooking and eating early. Maybe that had some sort of off psychological effect? I was totally full and satisfied when I ate dinner, but maybe eating cues later in the evening when my son ate threw me off...I don't know. But I don't think I am going to purposefully cook and eat early again.

So the next question is...what do I do when I come home starving? Yesterday I wasn't starving until I was literally in my house after work...another psychological effect...classical conditioning maybe? So...I think maybe I need to set up a new routine for when I get home to reduce the association between home and dinner. It is getting quite warm here in the CA desert...maybe jump in the pool when I get home? Do a short meditation? Listen to a short podcast? I will experiment and see...

Tonight my son has a baseball game so we won't be home for dinner...we'll eat out somewhere which usually isn't that healthy but at least I have limited access to the food :wink:

Happy Hump Day :D

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu May 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Yesterday was GREEN! :D It helps when you are limited to the food you are served and you're not home to deal with the cooking or putting away of food.

Hopefully today will go well as it is just a normal evening...

S.H.I.T. !!! :wink:

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Congrats on a green Wednesday.

Good luck with Thursday and thereafter.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks jackn!

Yesterday was GREEN! :D I cooked dinner with only a few minor tastes for seasoning adjustments. It was very difficult at times...I was literally talking out loud to myself a couple of times. And I had to make myself leave the kitchen a couple of times too...but I did it!

So it was my regular Friday weigh in...down the same two pounds that I have been gaining and losing repeatedly for the last four weeks. I am going to try some new actions this weekend to see if I can break even for my weigh in on Monday: meditate on Saturday and Sunday (I usually only do this M-F); be stricter about snacking on the S days (I don't have any events/parties/BBQs happening this weekend); do more exercise/activity such as swimming or walking; no adult beverages on Sunday (again no brunches/mimosas happening this weekend)...let's see how Monday turns out.

Lately there has been some sort of party or family event every weekend...maybe that is why I keep gaining back everything I lost M-F on the weekends! I need to try to get this figured out because summer is coming! I work for the school system, so during the school year I typically do better with lifestyle choices and habits in general...then summer comes and it's like an eight week long weekend! I gain weight every summer. My goal this year is that I weigh the same in August when I head back to work as I did on my last day of work in June... But I have to figure out a system for me that works on the weekends to prevent gain. I think that is key for success this summer...

If anyone has a similar issue and have ideas or have found processes that work for you...please share! Thanks :D

Happy Friday!!!

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue May 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Yesterday was GREEN! :D And Saturday and Sunday were my usual S days...so all is good on that front. My weekends continue to be a struggle. I need to add in some concerted physical activity...but I resist...the couch and a good book are much more appealing. Which is why I am in this situation. I was hoping to do swimming, but while I got in the pool...I didn't really do anything more than float around. And on Sunday the weather did not cooperate, so even trying to improve on Sunday wasn't possible. I did pretty well without snacking, but Saturday night we didn't have a dinner plan and I started to get very hungry, so I had a snack before dinner. Then on Sunday afternoon I was doing some tedious "work" on my summer vacation plans...so I "needed" some popcorn to keep me focused. Bunch of BS... :( but at the time it seemed perfectly logical! I did well with the adult beverages...more moderate overall and none on Sunday... And I did meditate on both Saturday and Sunday, so I generally did ok as far as my new weekend goals were concerned.

Anyways, on Monday my weight was up again, but this time slightly less than the exact 2 pounds (1.8 pounds) I had been gaining and losing for several weeks...so maybe some improvement? We'll have to see if Friday's weigh in is different...I don't want to put too much into the 0.2 pound difference from the previous weeks' stagnation. But I am cautiously optimistic.

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Wed May 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Yesterday was green! :D A pretty good day overall...nice dinner, desert rainstorm, good book...

Paying more focused attention to my "tasting" while cooking and being very strict seems to be working. I feel I'm back on track and cooking isn't as painful this week compared to last week. I'm making progress :D

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 am

Hey, 13plusyears, sounds great.

You're lining up those ducks.

Slow and steady you know what.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu May 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Yesterday was green! :D Busy day at work and family dinner with my mom and aunts/uncles...just one plate of 2 tacos, rice, and beans...so all is well.

Thank you jackn for the encouragement! I know that slow and steady is the proper path...but it can be frustrating sometimes. Plus I think I still need more work on de-programing my brain from so many years of dieting, body shame, and just the general hypocritical cultural norms regarding health, thinness, attractiveness, etc. So, like everyone else, I am a work in progress :)

One day at a time...I'm trying very hard to not hold too firmly to weight-loss and timeframe goals...focus on the habit, not the scale (too much).

S.H.I.T.!!! :lol:

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri May 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Yesterday was GREEN :D

My weigh in showed that I was "down" 1.8 pounds...exactly what I "gained" over the weekend. So I am doing a good job of maintaining my stagnation :? :( :roll: Completely exasperating.

Weekend is approaching...mixed feelings. Happy that I don't have to go work, but dreading the access to food, casual eating opportunities, and inevitable weight gain on Monday. Kinda down right now. :(

Happy Friday!

jackn

Re: something new

Post by jackn » Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm

13plusyears wrote:Yesterday was GREEN
Good news, 13.
13plusyears wrote:So I am doing a good job of maintaining
More good news.
13plusyears wrote: dreading the access to food, casual eating opportunities
This is where it's at at this point.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue May 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Yesterday was green! :D

My weigh in yesterday morning was better than expected, I only gained back 1.4 pounds instead of the usual 2 pounds. Hopefully that will continue to show through on my weigh in on Friday. I am really not upset at a slow paced loss...The absolute stagnation that had been happening over the last several weeks was really dragging me down. But for the last two weeks now the numbers are changing slightly...last week I gained back only 1.8 pounds over the weekend and this week only 1.4 gained back over the weekend. :D I am really hoping that all this is real...

Last weekend, again no major upsets or anything. I do think a key aspect has to be adding in more movement in general...some walking or light swimming to keep me off the couch :wink: Also, I have been working on keeping limits to my adult beverage consumption. I only drink on the weekends and I try to keep to Reinhard's glass ceiling limits...not that it always works, but it helps my awareness and therefore helps be more accountable. Lastly, just making sure that I am eating because I am hungry...not just mindless snacking...even on weekends, helps. If there is an event or get together happening, I am not strict...but otherwise I try to stick to the three meals only. I might have a bit more or cook richer meals or have a dessert...but I really try to avoid snacking.

I think my focus on the weekends and figuring out what works for me will totally be crucial for maintenance this summer. Writing all my thoughts, anxieties, and weaknesses down in this forum has been very helpful. Not just for the great support (Thanks Jackn!) but also the metacognitive process. Most of my issues with eating are all in my head. I have to analyze my behavior and thought patterns to design better habits to replace the unhealthy habits. Writing and documenting are helping me do that... I hope!

:D :D

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 pm

All is well in general...not feeling well right now, but I'm not really sick either...so just low grade misery :wink:

Today will be busy and out and about for dinner... It is so weird that these out and about evenings are better on my habit consistency than eating at home :? When I eat out, my access is limited...so although it is more challenging to find healthy eating options when dining out...it is easier to stick to the one plate habit. Well for me that is how it is...I am sure others have different areas of struggle. But not having easy access to food helps me a lot. And I must be a cheapo person or something, because if I have to buy food at a snack place, fast food restaurant, or Starbucks to get a snack...I just won't do it. But if cheese sticks are in my fridge...I really struggle to avoid them, especially as I am waiting for dinner.

Yay! It's Hump Day 8)

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu May 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Yesterday was GREEN! :D

Ate out for dinner...not healthy at all and pressed for time...so it was fast food in the car...but it was one plate :) Tonight it is my niece and goddaughter/niece's birthdays so we are having a family get together. At first I thought that I would try to muscle my way through the party...no appetizers, no homemade (from scratch) coconut cream pie, no adult beverages...but then I realized that either one of two things was definitely going to happen (if not both): be miserable and only thinking about the yummy things I can't eat OR fail... So I decided to make today an S day.

I know that nieces probably don't count as a close family member's birthday...but it is a family event. My goddaughter is turning 1 year old and she had a bit of a rough year. She was born with a heart defect and there were complications at birth...so she spent her first 2 weeks of life in Children's Hospital and then had heart surgery in January... Anyways, we are truly celebrating that beautiful little girl's health. So its a pretty big deal for our family.

That being said, since most of main part of the day is an ordinary work day...I am sticking to the No-S habit until I get to my brother's house this evening. And even there...moderation is key. I still have to weigh in tomorrow morning...so there will be no food orgy happening tonight. But a little bit of appetizers, a small taste of pie, one plate for dinner, no seconds, maybe an adult beverage...I will take my sparkling water to stay festive but reduce ETOH consumption. I am thinking of this as more of an S event rather than the entire day being an S day. Just having decided to make it an S day has brought significant stress relief and makes it so much easier to have a plan to have tastes of everything, but stay in moderation. I wanted to write al this down to help me stay accountable when I check in tomorrow. It is a promise to myself...that is what this process is all about.

S.H.I.T. :lol:

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri May 27, 2016 5:22 pm

As I posted yesterday...Thursday was an S day for me. All went fairly well at the birthday party. I had some appetizers...I think too many though. :( I had one plate of food and a sliver of pie. No adult beverages but I did have a regular soda...I forgot my sparkling water, my brother didn't have any water (other than tap and I'm a water snob), and I didn't want to have wine. I was afraid drinking would weaken my resolve to stay in moderation. But then I drank a full sugar soda...ugh! :? :x And there was nothing cold to drink and no ice. I feel like such a whine bag right now...I know in my head that overall the night was fine...not stellar, but not horrible either...but I still feel disappointed with myself that I wasn't perfect. I still have so far to go...

Dinner didn't set well with me either. I still have a bit of a sour stomach. Not sure why...did I eat too much overall? Probably. Was the food heavier than I usually eat? Probably. But both of those situations have happened before and didn't still feel yucky the next day...especially since I didn't imbibe. Like I said in a post from earlier in the week...I am not feeling well this week. Not horrible or anything...just low grade misery. I just want to whine and take a nap. So maybe I am fighting off a little bug or something. I don't know.

But coupled with another stagnant weigh in this morning...I am pretty low right now. I am trying to just focus on day by day. Trying not to worry about the next weigh in or the holiday weekend or how I am going to survive summer or if I am ever going to truly lose weight. Lots of self talk right now...trying to keep myself on the path. But it is hard and lonely.

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm

This week has been crazy so far, so I haven't had a chance to check in. But here it goes... so far this week has been all GREEN! :D The weekend was decent...they were S days, but nothing too over the top. BBQ, pool time, a few adult beverages...yay summer!

My weigh in on Tuesday morning was also good...down a pound or so. Same seesaw...let's see how tomorrow's weigh in works out.

Just trying to take it day by day.

So Happy It's Thursday! :lol:

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:24 am

Congrats on the green week! I spent last month losing and gaining the same 2 pounds, so I know what you mean! I finally broke through the plateau. Hope you will soon too. I think plateaus are normal along the way, so just keep on habit. Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks Merry for the positive news with your plateau! It is encouraging to know that maybe there is a breakthrough coming my way :)

However, at my weigh in this morning, I gained back about a half of a pound...so the seesaw continues...

I'm in pretty good spirits today...its Friday :D Yay weekend! Lots to do to prepare for my son's 8th grade promotion and 14th birthday party next week...and to finish last minute details for our family vacation in two weeks...but it is starting to feel like summer! Work is winding down...finally! The last few weeks of the school year are the most hectic!

It will be a busy weekend, but that usually helps my mindless eating. Plus we are having a bit of a heat wave...it is always hot this time of year in the southern CA desert...but highs today through Sunday will be 115-120...so even a little extreme for us! But it will be great in the pool 8) I will get some exercise, be outside, and not be eating!!! Maybe drinking tho :wink:

Happy Friday!

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Good weekend overall...not too much of anything extreme. The weekend was two days of S days for me...so all good :D

Weigh in this morning was down a little bit...which always sounds good, but if I lose over the weekend, then I usually gain it back during the week and vice versa...so I'm not that excited. More of the same up and down elevator...

I'm trying to figure out what I am going to do this week re: S days. My son is promoting from 8th grade on Thursday, so we are having a little something for him...including dessert. And I will have house guests from Thursday through Sunday...and a pool party (birthday and promotion) for my son on Saturday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday are my go to S days... and I don't want too many extra S days either... Vacation is coming... UGH! :roll:

Right now I think I am going to stick with only weekend S days... I know that the dessert on Thursday will be good and that there will be temptations to snack on Friday...but I will have my mom's homemade cake again in the future many more times...I can even make my own cake if I wanted! And Friday...it's like any other day...I will be taking the day off from work, but I can stick to No-S... I can eat whatever I want in three nicely defined meals...I can do it!

:lol:

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:04 pm

yesterday was GREEN :D And it was hard in the afternoon...I was hungry, it was very hot, and my son wanted a gelato on his way to piano lessons...I so wanted a bite! But I abstained :) I provide my son with positive reinforcement for piano lessons...so I usually get him a snack on the way to piano :lol: Plus he's a growing boy and he's starving by the time I pick him up!

Today I am sure I will do fine...I am just in a bit of a down mood because of a work issue. Emotional states are usually triggers for eating outside the habit...well for me. I try to stay very aware of this situation and I do a lot of self talk to keep my on habit. It just gets very tiring and I wear down over time if the emotional state lasts too long. My daughter is coming tonight to visit for a about a week so she can be here for her brother's graduation. Hopefully she will cheer me up and my meeting this afternoon goes better than I am expecting...

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:25 am

Sorry about your work situation, but I hope you enjoy your daughter's visit! Sometimes I find a cup of hot tea is calming/soothing when things are stressful. Maybe there's something like that you could try?
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Yesterday was GREEN! :D Tuesday was red :cry: I did very well all day...the work situation worked out better than I had thought...but when I got home my husband had asked an entire troop of geek squad people to come over to install a new home security/smart home system. There were people everywhere and I was trying to cook dinner and I was very hungry by this point. I did well eating dinner...no problem. But then my daughter and her fiancée arrived and I fixed them each a plate of dinner. I didn't have more at this point either. Just sat with them and chatted as they ate and the geek squad roamed my house drilling holes and running wires. (I know... #FirstWorldProblems! :wink: ) The problem came later as I was cleaning up the kitchen a little bit...I was talking to my daughter as I was doing it...and there was just a little bit of leftovers in the pan...And I took 2 bites!!! Ugh!! I didn't even realize it until I was chewing the second bite :( then I realized I had just ruined my entire great green day...so bummed.

But then I realized that while it is a failed day, I stopped myself before too much damage was done...and that no real harm was done. It's a learning experience. I just hate seeing red on my calendar :x

Yesterday was good. I was more conscious of my eating and cooking. More houseguests arrived and I stayed strong. All was good.

Today more houseguests are coming and its my son's graduation ceremony and small party...I think I will do okay with keeping it an No-S day...but dessert may be hard. But I want my S days for the weekend! I will be strong! :)

Thank you Merry for kind words...my work is always a roller-coaster...but the other day was ok. I do enjoy hot tea...and meditation and yoga to help with stress... I will definitely need all three when this weekend is over and all the guests go home! :P

So Happy It's Thursday!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 pm

If that is the extent of your RED days - then you are on the right track! It's funny how the mindless eating just sort of happens and you realize it all of a sudden! (Did I just eat that? ) :o

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:58 am

librarylady wrote:If that is the extent of your RED days - then you are on the right track! It's funny how the mindless eating just sort of happens and you realize it all of a sudden! (Did I just eat that? ) :o
Yes!
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:12 am

Hi 13plus! Sounds like you've been doing great! I laughed when the above posts were talking about no spoon licking. A few days a week I'll let my son have a chewy chips ahoy cookie. He won't bite into food so I have I have to tear everything into pieces. After tearing up a cookie I'm afraid to lick the chocolate off my fingers! I'm afraid I will be like a shark who got just a tiny smell of blood and then cause a feeding frenzy! Haha. I've noticed that there is something psychological for me about wanting to eat when I walk in the door. I think that's what we always did when I was a kid. We'd come home and snack. Even when I got home from eating out tonight there's always this little voice that says ' go look in the pantry for a sweet'. Anyway, welcome! Look forward to hearing more about your progress.

Ivory12

Post by Ivory12 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 am

I too have put on lots of weight after wedding and losing my energy to manage work. I have heard that chiropractic care is beneficial in weight loss. Is that true? Also suggest a good chiropractor in Mississauga whom I can consult to clear all my doubts regarding weight loss therapy. Please guys share details here at urgent basis.

13plusyears

Something new

Post by 13plusyears » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Hello Everyone!!! I'm back :D

Sorry for the hiatus...it was summer vacation! My family went on a trip out of the country and then spent several weeks at the beach...it was wonderful 8) but I didn't want to post info on the internet about being away from home for so long...

But now I am back home and back at work...school is about to start, so I am prepping for the new school year. I worked very hard to stick with No-S during the summer. My goal was to not gain weight over the summer break. I usually gain 10 to 12 pounds during the summer and then work all school year to get it off...only to start the process over again, so I never truly make many gains in getting to a slimmer me. But then I found No-S! So yes, last school year I lost 18 pounds total...more than usual for me and all thanks to No-S! So how did I do this summer...good and bad news...I did gain weight...2.6 pounds...but it is significantly less weight than I usually gain over the summer...so I'm pretty much ok with it. Plus, now that I am back to work, there will be no adult beverages during the work week...so I am hoping that will help me shed those pesky 2.6 pounds :wink: Again...all only possible with No-S.

The sanity of this system is so great...I love it! Tomorrow I will start posting as regular as possible my day to day progress... You know it was a great vacation when you are ready to come back to the routines of work, No-S check ins, family activities, etc.!!! I didn't do much online in general during the summer...because for the most part computers remind me of work...but maybe if I had kept up a regular online check-in my summer results would have been even better...something to consider as I go forward. I usually don't do the check in on weekends or school holidays either...maybe I should try it and see if it helps :)

Happy Monday!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:23 am

Hi Amy- I'm so glad to hear of your success!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:59 am

Welcome back! Wow, I'd say only a 2.6 lb. gain when you usually gain 10-12--and on top of losing 18 last school year is fantastic! Good for you!
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Thank you Sonya and Merry for the support, kind words, and warm welcome back!

Yesterday was a green day! :D Getting back into the routine helps but I sure was hungry for dinner!

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:23 am

13plusyears wrote:Thank you Sonya and Merry for the support, kind words, and warm welcome back!

Yesterday was a green day! :D Getting back into the routine helps but I sure was hungry for dinner!
:D
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Yesterday was green!!! :D

In general a good day. Busy with work. I actually was starting to miss work at the very end of vacation. And I am still excited to be back in the swing of things and seeing my teachers and students...however, as is the same for most jobs I am sure... there are some people we work with that are so annoying...like beyond normal annoying individual differences...but people that have some sort of magic to completely not do their job but convince others, especially bosses, that they are awesome...I so did not miss them!!! But other than typical workplace angst...all is good!!! 8)

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Yesterday was GREEN!!!

Doing well today too even though I had an event at work with several food vendors...filled one plate of food for my meal and that was it! I am very happy with myself so far :)

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Yesterday was green! It's been fairly painless to get back into my regular habit during the school year. I really thought this weeks would be tougher...maybe it will sneak up on my next week? IDK... However, today was also weigh in day :( And not so great news on that end. I gained 1.4 pounds this week. I am bummed about that. No wine or adult beverages this week and I was very good about 3 plates a day. But I did have some work-related lunches this week and a dinner out on the night of my son's parent orientation workshop. So maybe the restaurant food was heavier and significantly more caloric than I assumed. I tried to order/select foods that seemed healthier...but you never really know at restaurants. Plus this weekend we are going to Los Angeles for a concert and to visit our daughter...more meals out. I am dreading my weigh in on Monday already. At this rate I'll undo all my work from last year and the summer very quickly :cry:

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Friday was Green! But my fears about the weekend materialized :( I don't think I did anything too out of the ordinary, but we were out of town for a concert and a visit with our daughter...so some eating out happened. But never fail...I gained weight. About another 1.5 pounds...all my hard work is disappearing before my eyes :cry: I'm pretty bummed right now...

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 am

Hi 13,
Sorry you are feeling discouraged about the weight gain.
I'm not an advocate of calorie counting, but sometimes it's helpful before eating out, to check on the internet for calorie counts of food, if it's a chain restaurant or for a similar type of place if it's not. Things like dressings and sauces can be tricky and sometimes a healthy sounding thing actually has more hidden calories than the burger or whatever.
But in any case, I'm sure you'll be fine when you get back into your normal N day routine. Things kind of have a way of evening out, or sometimes a small tweak to what is on our pates is all that's needed.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Thank you Sonya for the advice. I do usually check the calories if I am at a restaurant that provides them. And the reality does really help me! It is shocking sometimes what the calorie counts are! However, we only ate a small independent, hole in the wall restaurants...and I know that I didn't get a "healthy" entrée. I was hoping that by only having two meals on Saturday and a more normal Sunday would have helped...but not exactly. I still have hope that as the school year gets underway and I'm back to my routine I will again see more consistent progress...but I am scared. :cry:

Yesterday was green :D

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:31 pm

I got busy yesterday morning and forgot to post. Both Tuesday and Wednesday were green! :) Week is going well. Eating pre-planned meals and cooking at home. Working on portion sizes. Tomorrow is weigh in day :shock: I'm very nervous...even just a break even would be great...

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Good luck! Try to remember it's not all about the weight ........... well, you know what I'm trying to say..... you're doing great and your weight WILL go down eventually.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Thank you Merry for reminding me that not all measures of success or happiness depend on the scale. I know it intellectually, but it can be hard to emotionally internalize the concept. Even on the reverse side... So today was weigh in...and I was down by 2.5 pounds. And I am very happy...I've been in a great mood all day! Plus it is Friday :wink: But having my emotional state depend on the scale is ridiculous... I try to do self-talk to remind myself that a number on the scale is NOT the end all and be all of my journey (even when it has good news) but I am really struggling to emotionally "feel" that way.

Yesterday was GREEN! :D

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:16 pm

:D That's great - I hope that has encouraged you.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Had a good weekend and not too much of a weight gain! Yesterday was green! :D I am feeling pretty good right now...but I swear I have weight loss/gain trauma or something...because nothing ever feels totally happy... While I am happy right now, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and gain weight this week! Especially if I know I will something out of my usual routine...like a conference this week. Eating out for lunch with work colleagues will ruin everything! Ugh! how sad really that I'm already dreading it all and my weigh in on Friday...

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:06 pm

I did well during my conference last week! All green days! :D And a little bit of a weigh in loss on Friday! Then the weekend happened...

Not too horrible but yesterday was a red day. :( I was doing well, but then I went swimming after lunch. And then I went to the grocery store. I was fine at first, but half way through shopping I got super hungry...like shaky hungry. So as soon as I got home, I had a snack...a peach. So not a huge problem, but a red day nevertheless :x And then this morning at weigh in...gained 2 pounds :(

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:30 am

13plusyears wrote:I did well during my conference last week! All green days! :D And a little bit of a weigh in loss on Friday! Then the weekend happened...

Not too horrible but yesterday was a red day. :( I was doing well, but then I went swimming after lunch. And then I went to the grocery store. I was fine at first, but half way through shopping I got super hungry...like shaky hungry. So as soon as I got home, I had a snack...a peach. So not a huge problem, but a red day nevertheless :x And then this morning at weigh in...gained 2 pounds :(
Sounds like the peach was a good choice under the circumstances. I'll bet your weight gain comes back down during the week--it's probably mostly salt, water, & extra food from the weekend. Great job during your conference!
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Merry! Kind word go such a long way... Sometimes they matter more than you can ever know :)

The last two days were green days and all has been relatively good. I have started to drink a mug of hot bone broth while I am cooking dinner. It is supposed to be good for inflammation/arthritis and I think it is helping me with the snacking urge in the evenings and while cooking dinner. Let's see how this goes. Broth doesn't count as food right? It's a beverage...it says it right on the container...sipping broth :)

I did have a bit of a mess up with my morning exercise program...kinda like Reinhard's shovelglove, but not as specific. I was talking to my mom after our walk and we were planning a birthday party...time got away from me and I didn't have the full 14 minutes...only 11. So red day for shovelglove. :(

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:58 pm

All Green yesterday! :D And down a little bit for today's weigh in :)

Hopefully the weekend can stay somewhat in check! Happy Friday 8)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 am

Yay! Way to end the week strong! Have a great weekend :-).
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

I had a lovely weekend! It was my birthday, so I had a pleasant little party and a nice evening out with my husband :D

Monday was GREEN! and I lost a little bit of weight over the weekend!!! Yippee! That hasn't happened in a really long time :)

All is good.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:26 am

13plusyears wrote:I had a lovely weekend! It was my birthday, so I had a pleasant little party and a nice evening out with my husband :D

Monday was GREEN! and I lost a little bit of weight over the weekend!!! Yippee! That hasn't happened in a really long time :)

All is good.
Awesome, congratulations and Happy Birthday!
Respect Moderation

13plusyears

something new

Post by 13plusyears » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Thank you Merry for the well wishes!

yesterday was also GREEN! Doing pretty well this week so far. Monday and Tuesday were kinda rough days...I don't know if I wasn't feeling that well or if I was just in a funk or what! But today I am doing a little better, so hopefully the rest of week will be on an upwards trend! :)

13plusyears

Post by 13plusyears » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Yesterday was red! I fell asleep early on the couch and leftovers weren't put away... So I ate two tofu cubes when I woke up from couch to go to bed :x

Not too bad but I hate putting red on my habitcal...

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 pm

My red days are usually similar to that - very small transgressions, but I count them as red because I know they are breaking the habit.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs