Sinnie's Daily Check In w/ Mod

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Sinnie's Daily Check In w/ Mod

Post by Sinnie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 am

Edited to keep these top of page when I need motivation:

Quotes to remember when I'm struggling:

1. "Remember that sitting down mid-morning for a cup of coffee or tea (or beverage of choice) is a very civilized and adult way of having a "snack."
-oolala53

LifeisaBlessing you've created quite a stir! I'm jumping on the old bandwagon again since your mod worked for me years ago. Three meals a day, whatever I want, budgeting for extras accordingly. Everyday. I'm making time for this now. I decided to start getting up before everyone and though that means less sleep, it more than makes up because of the time to myself.

Starting weight: 122.5

Breakfast: went out and had a big breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, potatoes, waffles - gave some to my daughter and had some of her waffles)

Lunch was snap peas, baby carrots, ranch dressing and chips and few sips beer.

Dinner was chicken breast, grilled veg, bread and few sips wine. Saved room for dessert. Went out and Got a slice of brownie caramel cheesecake and coffee.

Did not distinctly follow the rules. I had extra chips out of the bag. I took a shot of protein powder mixed with water (gross) to quell some shaky feeling after the lunch. I ate the whole slice of cake but intended on half and felt sick.

I was all ready to say screw it, this won't work for me, I don't follow these rules well etc. But hubby helped me through it. He said now just wait for dinner, have nothing else. I wanted to snack at night bc of the cake incident but decided THIS is why I need No S. I can't keep starting over every time I screw up.

I decided just to sit with the uncomfortable feeling last night. I acknowledged it, and sat with it. It wasn't SO bad.
Last edited by Sinnie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Sinnie--good for you!!! :D And lol on my creating a stir. I've actually been hanging around the NoS board for years, but didn't want to join until I actually found a way to make it work for me. A few months ago, things just clicked into place, and I met my weight loss goal, even surpassing it! Now, I'm firmly in the "during" phase, maintaining and refining as life goes along. Ultimately, my next goal is to find a doable exercise plan (beyond the 10K steps I do), that I can incorporate easily into my day-to-day life that can take things to the next level. But I'm happy where I'm at for now. :)

If you ever have any questions on the three-meal mod, feel free to ask away--I'll be happy to help! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Hey Life, I must say I needed this mod and it really is a blessing you came on here to spread the word that this worked for you. I seriously love everyone on this board -- just a different group of people -- always was. Amazing.

I fixed my fitbit and will start wearing it again. Before my last pregnancy I aimed to get 10000 steps a day.

Wt: 120.5

B: did not plate it. Need to work on that. No more starting over and no getting cocky and thinking I can just wing it. Had part of a cliff bar, some yogurt parfait, few sips protein shake. Coffee with vanilla.

L: chicken breast, organic hotdog on bun, veg and dip, chips and Pepsi max

D: Father's Day dinner at moms: 4 stuffed mushrooms for app, 1 bun w butter, small potato, 1 rib, 2 chicken skewers, salad. Ate some corn, carrot/pea salad and pasta from kids plate. Diet Sprite. Huge piece of tiramisu cake made with ice cream. I was given it, and ate the whole thing.

Made a cup of sweet coffee later at night. To tide over. Had gum too.

Steps: Around 8600 without trying! Even took it off for a bit.

Finished the protein shake before lunch. A few things in my arsenal to stop from snacking:
Protein mixed with water
Coffee
Broth
Chew gum
Last edited by Sinnie on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Hey there. It's pretty cool how this little mod seems to work for so many...but I wanted to ask you how tall you are, or your frame, that you need to lose weight at 122.5 lbs. Or is that Kg? hee hee

meanwhile, looks like you're energy is real good. Your mind in the game... you'll do it!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey buns! I'm sure you hear this all the time but love your screen name!
I understand your curiosity. Yup I'm a small chick - 5'2 - and although it's a normal weight I feel better about ten pounds less. It's vanity weight for sure, but I'm really after good habits right now.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:24 pm

It's getting easier to deal with the uncomfortable feelings that come when you're used to snacking over them. It's not even an option anymore in my head and really believe it this time. I think that's the difference. I'm actually loving this. Not good at plating though. I tend to eat at the counter snacking my breakfast and lunch. Will work in that.

Wt: 120

B: black coffee, tiny bite peach cobbler, protein peanut butter balls. Followed by another cup of cafe with vanilla cream.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:49 pm

So happy with all your success, Sinnie--keep it up!

And I soooo hear you on the covering up of feelings with snacking. Had a bit of a challenging Father's Day yesterday, and the ol' "hollow gut" feeling came about from some emotional incidents. In the past, I'd either have handfuls of snacks to cover it up, or I'd just shovel food mindlessly during the meal, not caring about amount, type, seconds, etc. Was able to deal with the discomfort without resorting to how I used to handle things, so success! :)

And today is a brand new day, so onward! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Hey life. Nice to hear we all struggle much in the same way, and light at the end is possible if we try. I had a challenging day yesterday, and couldn't keep up with my meals. It was a tough day with too many kids around and the hecticness of that can make me stressed. Onwards. This is a lifelong process.

Wt: 121

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:20 pm

Hectic days are VERY rough! Wouldn't it be nice if all days were calm, planned, and pleasant? I guess then we wouldn't appreciate them as much without the hecticness to balance it out, right? In any case, chalk it up and keep going--you're doing great! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:15 pm

Well, twins are now seven months old and my little one is in preschool for a few hours in the afternoon. I've got the babies on somewhat of a schedule and I think life is a little more a livable now :-)

I haven't had a lot of success with my diet. I usually end up snacking no matter what at the end of the day, and I never feel hungry, but it's just like auto pilot I'm exhausted and I just need to zone out by myself. Always been a problem of mine.

Anyways, I did have some success doing a version of no S in early September, but I got a little overly confident and somehow that unraveled everything. Basically, I had three eating events per day – that did not mean it all had to fit on one plate, I could eat any foods I wanted, and as much as I wanted so if I put too little on my plate I could have a bit more or have a dessert at the end or… Whatever… It was sort of based on how I felt. If I needed a snack I allowed any type of beverage between meals because that does not cause me to overeat or binge the way cake or cookies can. Anyways it was really successful and I saw my weight was dropping. Then I guess I self sabotaged or something and just gave it up.

I would like to try no s again and I was thinking of making more strict parameters but then I realized that my old way worked. Maybe I should try the path of least resistance before moving onto more challenging endeavours, if necessary.

This morning my weight was 116 so I kind of know a rough starting point. Clearly I'm not looking to lose tons of weight or anything, but I would like to just lower it a few pounds and stay there. I also did not weigh myself everyday last time and once I began I think that might have been my undoing seeing that it was going well. I thought "oh I can get away with this bit of extra or that snack etc." My goal last time was just to stop the binging and chaotic behavior around eating. I decided if I stay exactly where I am that would be totally fine.

Today I added some protein as I was reading on life is a blessing's check in and apprentices and thought that is probably some good advice to take.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi Sinnie! :) Great to see you back on the NoS boards, and congratulations on your new schedule with all your little ones! :)

Don't beat yourself up over the snacking; just go back to what you know works for you. Like I told bunsofaluminum in her check in thread, I noticed some pounds creeping up on myself even with following my modified version of NoS. The simple fact was that I was eating too much at my meals. Luckily, with my daily weigh-ins, I was able to catch it immediately, and I'm now heading back down in the right direction.

Vigilance is all part of the "during" phase. No need to panic; just process the information, adjust your meals as necessary, and move forward. You will be successful if you hold yourself accountable and know that ultimately you are in control of your weight loss and weight maintenance. You can do it! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:27 am

Hey Life! Thank you so much for your input. You are a huge inspiration and I love reading your posts.

This week was crap. I didn't follow no s. The worst part is I didn't even try. Didn't even attempt to fight for it. I get so busy and it's just an afterthought. Because DH isn't home for dinner, I tend not to eat a proper one. I'm never hungry, I miss being hungry for meals.

Just need to get motivated again. Not for weight loss, just to eat properly and civilized.

Not throwing in the towel yet! I'll give three meals a concerted effort today.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:49 pm

*hugs* I've had a rough week too, so I understand where you're coming from. Keep fighting! Perhaps make a list of reasons to stick to NoS (I have one on my phone so it's easily accessible - nowadays we have our phones with us literally EVERYWHERE) or type down some ideas for quick fixes when you're struggling?

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi Sinnie -
I've followed your posts for awhile and we tend to have some of the same issues with binges. I've tried everything but the hard part is that I'm not really overweight so I've always been trapped in this vicious cycle of eating very healthy all day and then bingeing between 4-10pm on anything from cereal to cookies to candy to pretzels! Then the next day I wake up, promise myself to eat as healthy as possible and then by 4pm am in the same cycle as the day before. It's mentally taxing and frustrating but I think because I'm not severely overweight, it almost enables me to repeat the cycle. So I tried Lifeisablessing's mod of eating anything for 3 meals and it has reduced my bingeing and urge to binge almost completely for the few days I've been following it. It's very hard for me not to worry about what I'm eating at my meals (am I eating enough protein, is the meal too processed, etc, etc) but I'm trying to quiet the mental chatter and analysis of my meals and it's been so mentally freeing that I'm loving the mod. I even lost 2 pounds in the past few days which is nice because I did feel my binges had caused me to gain a few pounds. Right now, I can say I feel so much more in control :)

I'll continue to update my board but I'm feeling very hopeful and wanted to share with you!

Good luck! :)
moderatemeals

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 pm

moderatemeals wrote:I tried Lifeisablessing's mod of eating anything for 3 meals and it has reduced my bingeing and urge to binge almost completely for the few days I've been following it. It's very hard for me not to worry about what I'm eating at my meals (am I eating enough protein, is the meal too processed, etc, etc) but I'm trying to quiet the mental chatter and analysis of my meals and it's been so mentally freeing that I'm loving the mod. I even lost 2 pounds in the past few days which is nice because I did feel my binges had caused me to gain a few pounds. Right now, I can say I feel so much more in control :)
moderatemeals - So happy that you're finding success with my modified NoS version! It is so freeing not judging your eating as a "success" or "failure"--just make adjustments based on what your goals are, whether it's seeing a scale loss, or feeling better after eating. That's a plan that you can ultimately live with! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Moderatemeals, how kind of you to share with me. I'm so busy some days with the three little ones I can barely breathe. I meant to respond much sooner.

I agree that for people who share our particular struggle, having off limits foods make them way too desirable and cause immense failure/binging. I have actually been "legalizing" foods, if you wanna call it that, for years. It's the only thing that works for me and I have to say, they have way way less pull on me. It's great.

But where I struggle is basically just using food, any food, to help me unwind after such a taxing day. Taking care of two babies and a toddler all day by myself is incredibly lovely and incredibly exhausting. By the time I put them to bed I just wanna flop down and eat to numb how tired I am. DH arrives about this time and eats his dinner which I usually join. I just don't know how to relax with out food. Can't imagine...

I really want to feel like I have some control. Like you, weight isn't an issue so I sabotage myself.

This mod is the only thing that works for me but in general I just dont have the willpower to follow through on anything. In need to break the food-relax connection because no diet will ever work with that. I think this is where this no s is the best it is all about the habit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Sinnie, I haven't read all your posts, so I don't know if you've done this, but I gently suggest that you write down what you don't like about feeling at the effect of food and what you think the benefits of your No S plan will be. That list might change over time. I threw in a few catch phrase along the way, as well as some other motivating thoughts. I had read to do this decades before but never did until I committed to No S and using Judith Beck's thinking strategies back at the end of '09. I concentrated on the benefits list and read it several times a day for a few months and every day for about a year! It was pivotal. Sure, a lot more involved than canonical No S, but whatchya gonna do?

You CAN do this. That little voice that tells you that you can't do without food to rest or recuperate or recharge or whatever is telling a lie. It's just the lower brain using it as an excuse. It will say anything! You might not find the perfect replacement soon or ever, but it's likely you won't choose anything worse than food. Just stay away from the gambling sites and heroin dealers. :wink:

I'm going to go read my list now.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Sinnie, I remember those days (: As much as I loved my littles it felt really good when they were all asleep & I had time to have a grown up conversation with my husband. We did late dinner & had a glass of wine or 2 just the 2 of us after they were asleep. Not sure if you could wait & eat with your husband, but food is just more enjoyable with no one needing something while you are eating which is how it feels to eat with kids around (even bigger ones). \

If not that, what about a cup of tea or a glass of wine? Me & my husband have always been best friends & have a really good relationship, & sometimes I feel like we stay connected because we chat & have a couple of drinks instead of doing our own thing after the kids are asleep (:

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi Sinnie -
I can relate for sure...I have 4 kids and definitely use food to unwind and destress. One thing I can highly recommend that Ive been using lately is a mediation app called Headspace. It's free for 10 trial sessions and the sessions are only 10 minutes long (so definitely doable). It's helped me tremendously with my overall anxiety which seems to always hit me between 4-10pm. I've been doing it daily now for about 2 weeks and I can't imagine stopping. It sounds corny but it does help with mindfulness and stress.

Good luck and know that many of us have been in the same boat and are dealing with the same struggles!
:)
moderatemeals

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Moderate meals, Jen and Oolala,

I just wanted to let you know that I have not disregarded or ignored your messages. I appreciate them very much and have been giving them considered thought. It's hard to string together a coherent sentence when I'm interrupted every two seconds and wanted to respond individually. Yet again, my toddler just woke up… So there goes my message writing time LOL
Anyway, thank you so much for the thoughtful advice.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:43 pm

No worries! You don't owe me an explanation. However you work it through is going to be right for you. I just affirm peace for you soon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Sinnie, you have three little ones? You are an absolute wonder woman and I am amazed you are doing as well as you do!

I am here with my 15week old and just went back on NoS finding it really tough. Just being home and tired and stressed sometimes. Doing well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:14 pm

I have been giving all this a lot of thought and whirling it around my brain. These are my truths at the moment:

-I am chronically tired most days, and when I want food, I want it NOW and don't have the time to think it through (as in, try to reason with myself why I shouldn't give into my inner child etc). I wouldn't have felt this way before 3 kids, but it's truly mind blowing how busy it can be. I can barely hear myself think, let alone fight my willpower.

-As a result of the above, I will change my diet plan at the drop of a hat to accommodate this reality. That usually means, switching to calorie counting because that allows me to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, almost following intuitive eating to some degree.

-The problem arises where I get busy later in the day, around 4pm and onwards, and forget to track. Then, it turns into perm-snacking and sometimes evening binging.

-Then I return to a different diet plan (nothing crazy) only to repeat this process.

I love oolala's advice to write down my reasons. I tried to do that, but again, with my time or lack there of, I just can't seem to put the reasons together. By the time the night rolls around, I don't even remember or care to use my brain LOL. But this line really resonated with me and made me smile:
"You CAN do this. That little voice that tells you that you can't do without food to rest or recuperate or recharge or whatever is telling a lie. It's just the lower brain using it as an excuse. It will say anything! You might not find the perfect replacement soon or ever, but it's likely you won't choose anything worse than food. Just stay away from the gambling sites and heroin dealers. Wink"

Jen, I really relate to what you said. My husband and I have a very similar relationship - he is my ultimate best friend - and as you said, we stay connected because of our time at night (he works a lot and doesn't get home everyday until approx 8pm sometimes later). I just can't wait until then to eat - at least not yet - so I usually have a second dinner because I can't be around food and not eat it :( I'd love to just be disciplined enough to have a glass of wine instead.

MM - I haven't looked into the meditation app, but I really should. It sounds great. DO you still like it? My anxiety time is the exact same as yours. The truth is, and I hope Im not making excuses but I don't know WHEN I'd do it…I'm with the kids 24/7 and when they're asleep it's hubby time…then I truly can only handle TV before passing out :lol:

Now, after all that (and I'm really proud to be able to write all that at once! I finally have twins sleeping at the same time these days!) I think I am going to press on with No S. I know this is a weird reason, but my friends dad just passed away and it got me really wanting to make sure I don't take things for granted. I want to develop a culture at my house where I eat meals with the girls, even when DH isn't home, rather than snack etc because it's easier and I'm tired, you know? I know they're young, but I think we'd all benefit. It's just too all over the place right now, and I want that to change. Sometimes my toddler won't sit for a meal, but in time, with practice…

I successfully did No S a month or so ago and I basically did this:

-decided to maintain and not focus on weight as there is just no time for it
-eat three meals a day with no parameters, just 3 eating "events", as much as I need to feel nice and satisfied
-any liquids between meals to help along
-no "s" days: if there is an outlier from the system that's just life and it's OK

I don't know what threw me off but it was very freeing and I'm sad I didn't fight to stay on that track.

Here goes to a fresh start that for sure won't be perfect. I'm SO past perfection! I just really admire people on this board who stick to it like Linda, Blessing, Oolala and many many more but I just haven't been able to read or catch up properly in so long. I wonder what the difference is in those who can do it and those who just absolutely can't make it work like me. I want it, but I can't follow through…

I'm just writing down my meals for clarity purposes, not amounts, to help ensure I stay away from snacking (which is harder to remember)

B: greek yogurt and omg I honestly can't remember the other thing
L: homemade pasta, peas and cheese; protein bar; diet coke
D:

I wanted a snack whilst babies sleeping but I made a coffee with protein powder to give me comfort and hopefully hold me off from snacking until dinner.

Thanks for reading,
XO
Sinnie

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:30 am

Hmm nope couldn't do it. After kids in bed I just couldn't resist some sweets and coffee. A few licks of peanut butter.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:30 am

Sinnie-- oh dear I don't know how you're doing it with three little ones! Mine are two years apart and we had some pretty rough years but another one thrown in there may have pushed me over the edge.

You are in survival mode so be compassionate with yourself. I'd say focus on the fact that you want to provide structure for your kids by having regular meals. Three meals may be something to strive for later on but for now try to be realistic. What's going to work? 5 small meals? 3 big and two snacks? Pick something you can stick to and as long as you're consistent, I think it'll give you that sense of control you're wanting.

Btw, I'm not exactly a NoS poster child. I have minor fails many days but I just can't bring myself to care about having perfectly green days anymore. My current interpretation of nos is fairly loose some days but it's still my general philosophy. Also this board helps to keep me sane so I continue to post often.

So my advice would be to find a way to make it work for you. Also hang in there. Things will get easier one day!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi Sinnie,

I had a few mins to read through your board and just wanted to say I truly have no idea how mom's can do it with three little ones! You are amazing.

What compelled me to write was that I saw MM recommend an app called Headspace. I have just finished with 9 out of 10 free 10-minute sessions and I am also addicted. It has (unbelievably) helped out with reducing my anxiety and it seems to make me a little more even-keeled throughout the day better equipped to work through extreme emotions (such as anger). I have truly begun to look forward to that 10 mins each day. I just can't believe the difference so far.

I have been working on giving MYSELF the gift of consistency (in both No S and Headspace), since I seem to practice it everywhere else (work, raising my child, etc.). Maybe you could squeeze out 10 mins a day (for Headspace) somehow for yourself?

Anyway, I look forward to reading your future posts.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Congrats on getting any reflections written!

I should probably keep my mouth shut because I've had only one week of green days this entire month!

Onwards.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 am

Oh Sinnie, you superwoman!!! 3 kids blimey. I can barely stay awake with one ha! Great reflections.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

HI Sinnie -
Yes I love Headspace and still use it. I would say I mediate 5 times per week. I look forward to it and it does help with my anxiety. I think the main reason I binge is I'm either tired (but it's too early to go to bed) or I'm having a hard time relaxing or I'm putting off a task that I don't want to do (clean the kitchen after dinner when I'm tired, etc.) Headspace has honestly helped me learn to relax and I look forward to those 10 minutes whenever I can get them!

Good luck and please lml if you have any other questions!
:)
mm