Slinkys Daily Thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

slinkykitty

Slinkys Daily Thread

Post by slinkykitty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello everyone, I found No S Diet at another site called "Eat like a normal person". I was at the time searching for help for Binge Eating.

I guess its difficult to pinpoint where it all started. At 14, My mother had me start taking Duromine to lose weight and reduced my plate to a bread and butter sized one. At the time I was not overweight though she thought I was. I am now mid 50s, and have been on every diet there ever was. I could fill this page with all of the diets I've tried.

I did have some success back in 2008 where I lost 40kg, however I have since gained back about 15 of those ( 10 of them in the last 6 months)

In the last 2 years, I have tried so many different diets, even went so far as to only eat potatos for 2 weeks straight.... UGHH.

After that I sought out the help of a dietician. She advised that I should eat mindfully and eat whatever I like, listen to my hunger/full signals etc... Thing is due to my disordered eating I don't seem to have any "full signal" so this has sent me spiralling into binge eating and constant grazing. Even things like eating chips in the car on the way home from work, and what were my meal times blurring into one long eating fest from getting up till dinner. Overeating is a big problem for me.

Menopause hasn't helped either.

I am hoping firstly to do something about my binging/overeating/disordered eating. I'm hoping that with the 3 meals per day that I can find some structure. I'm not so interested in the weight loss though It certainly would help..

Today is day 3, I've been ok for the last 2 days, its been busy at work, I did get a bit peckish before dinner so had a small slurp of milk.

Looking forward to reading more :)

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:07 am

Welcome Slinkykitty, Eating disorders seem to originate in childhood for a lot of us. While I was never a binge eater in my adult years, I was a constant grazer when I was home. I used to justify my sensible appearing regular meals, but the grazing was pretty much anytime I passed the fridge, cookie jar, chips, peanuts, etc. etc. I hope you can adapt to No S, as it's changed much of my own thinking about meals and food. I actually look forward to meals again, as I am genuinely hungry. And several people have said on here, that they now know what it feels like to feel hungry again, or in my case I would say for real.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:35 am

Welcome Slinkykitty!

We seem to be close in age and have similar diet histories. I've found NoS to be very helpful in reducing dysfunctional eating and anxiety around food. The structure and habits are very comforting. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I'm still relatively new to this way of eating. And I have a checkered past, haha... so it will probably take me some time to shed my disordered eating habits.

Good luck with NoS....looking forward to reading about your experiences!

slinkykitty

Post by slinkykitty » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:18 am

Thank you both for the replies.

Update:

I started Last Sunday, so had 6 "N" days and went well. I managed 3 meals a day and instead of eating in the car on the way home from work, had sparkling water. A couple of afternoons I had a small slurp of milk.

Yesterday was my first "S" day, my eating was all over the place but on the whole I didn't really eat too much.

Today, Sunday has been a binge fest, right back where I was before I started. Its been like one continuous meal.

I was scared of these "S" days for that reason, and now I feel like I've undone everything I did during the week.

I know it is not recommended to miss the "S" days but I really am not in control of those, and may well do better without them,

Does anyone have any advice, I know the book talks about creating a 'habit' I'm hoping these S days get better, I certainly don't feel in control of them, its like the floodgates opened.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 am

I recommend listening to the podcast "S days gone wild" (have you found the podcasts? go to Home and click on Podcasts -it's number 34) I've listened to it many times - it's so helpful, I think. S days can be very scary to begin with - but you've done really well with your N days and I anticipate that your S days will change gradually.

All the best!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:38 am

Hi slinkykitty! (Love your username by the way :D)

Welcome to the NoS boards! :) I joined recently after using a modified form of NoS to reach, maintain, and surpass my weight and fat loss goals. I'm basically here to help others when needed, and to refine my approach to NoS to get even better results. It's working beautifully!

Your plight with the wild S days was very similar to mine when I tried "vanilla" NoS years ago. I failed miserably, and never really broke out of the patterns of overeating on the weekends. Some weeks it was all I could do to make it to the weekend, and then look out! :O I then tried various other forms of dieting with some success, but always just got to the "meh" point with my body shape and condition.

Earlier this year, I finally decided enough was enough. Gathering all the data from previous diets and determining what worked for me, I designed my own version of NoS--three meals a day, seven days a week, one plate of food, of whatever food I wanted. And it worked! The weight and fat melted off, and I not only reached my goal, I surpassed it and am maintaining.

I'm not the first to modify NoS this way. There was a poster called "3-0-7 girl" who did it before me. She no longer actively participates here (I believe her last post was from 2013), but she also adapted NoS the same as I did.

If your S days continue to be crazy (and you're not willing to wait and see if they will calm down in the near future), you may want to consider my mod. You'll still have the structure and limitations of three meals and one plate, but I found that the temptation to binge was completely eliminated simply because I could have whatever food I wanted at meals. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

slinkykitty

Post by slinkykitty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:20 am

Thankyou both, I read the podcast which makes sense.

After the weekend I was back to "N" day and went well,

Today though, I've totally blown it, was doing ok , I really don't even know what happened, I had breakfast about 6am all was good, then for some reason I had 2 slices of toast at about 10am , then it was just downhill after that, a half a bag of cornchips, a couple of handfuls of cashews.....a few bits of chocolate, and now I'm really bloated and feeling awful.

I don't know how I managed the 5 straight days last week but I did, I'm trying to tell myself I can do this, but the binge fest at the weekend seems to have really set me back. I'm starting to wonder if I need professional help.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:06 am

I can totally relate to this. It seems to happen when I'm on a roll with lots of green days. I'll post something kind of self-congratulatory on my thread...yeah, I've got this down. Then a big FAIL. I guess it keeps me from getting too complacent.

Five green days in a row is really good! It does get somewhat easier but it's also kind of normal to blow it on occasion. The trick is to get right back into your NoS routine. You're doing great!

slinkykitty

Post by slinkykitty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks so much for the lovely post e-lyn, :)

Tommorrow is another day, I'm back at work so hopefully that will keep me busy so I don't want to eat between meals.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:22 pm

e-lyn wrote:I can totally relate to this. It seems to happen when I'm on a roll with lots of green days. I'll post something kind of self-congratulatory on my thread...yeah, I've got this down. Then a big FAIL. I guess it keeps me from getting too complacent.
Yes! I get this too! I'm now quite wary of celebrating or predicting forthcoming success for fear of jinxing it! It's a bit like when you think 'I haven't had a cold in ages' then the next day you wake up with one - like subconsciously your body knows something's in the offing! But e-lyn is right, it does stop us getting complacent!
:lol:
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs