New check-in for Allisonmeg

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Allisonmeg

New check-in for Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:16 am

Hi everyone, I'm back from summer break. I have tried to No S without checking in, but the lack of accountability proves disastrous. The scale this morning was not far from 150. I had gotten down to 140. I could give all sorts of great excuses, such as stress, menopause, new medications. BUT we all know its the disease of OVERACTIVE FORK.
I'm back to counting calories and have 1800 as a goal, but watch it top 2200 daily. So I must let go of this and get back to No Sing without counting.
Anyway I'm back this morning with full intention of having 3 meals today. It sounds so easy on paper, but I've been horrible with snacking all day long lately. I may give meal by meal updates at first, just to feel like I have support of the Everyday Systems community.
This morning I had coffee, a tuna sandwich and a few pieces of watermelon.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Ok I've made it through dinner, so have to just make it to bed. It was so hard not to count calories especially at a new restaurant. I spit food out twice that I mindlessly put in my mouth.
Chicken salad at Mad Greek
Sesame stix nut mix

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:19 am

Welcome back! Enjoy the freedom from calorie counting, and just enjoy food and settling back into good habits.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Day 2, the morning started out a little sketchy. I ate an apple, but it just wasn't enough so I went back for more breakfast. Technically a second, but on day 2 I'm not holding it against me. I've made it to lunch time now. I found it hard to resist bacon!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Ugh, this is SO hard. I am having snacking withdrawal. I made ice cream cones for the kids. The ice cream was just out of the trunk and so soft, it's killing me! Plus earlier my husband was begging me to try Lemon Meringue ice cream, one of my daughters made Cracker Barrel style homemade mac and cheese. Even the watermelon I cut up looks like the best thing I've ever seen. I

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am

Yay I had a successful and far easier day 3. I am so stoked I got through day 2.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:10 am

Allisonmeg wrote:Yay I had a successful and far easier day 3. I am so stoked I got through day 2.
yay!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for welcoming me back Merry, I so appreciate it! :D

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Today we're taking the kids to Mexican for a last outing before school starts. The basket of chips is already stressing me out and it's only 8am. My scale is still sitting where it was--I was hoping it was just a water retention kind of day last week, but sadly, NOT SO :shock: . I think getting the kids back in school and having a schedule is going to be a great help. Plus my 14 yr old wants to be the next Chopped champ, so she bakes goodies every single day, which of course I sample throughout the day. Anyway for anyone who read my old blog, just to let you know that my 16 yr old is doing much much better. She's gotten lots of help, changed schools, has a job, has a car, and has even gone out on her first date.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:06 pm

Allisonmeg, I have the same problem with the chip basket! Fortunately, our local taqueria has a salsa bar with pickled carrots and cauliflower so I've been trying to focus on that. It's not easy!

It definitely helps to get back to the usual routines. My family (hubby is a teacher) just went back to school/work and I breathed a sigh of relief. There's a lot less random eating and snacking going on around here. Glad to hear your daughter is doing better. Worrying about our kids makes it difficult to focus on our own needs.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes e-lyn I just can't wait to get back to a routine. With 5 kids home all day, we have lots of snack food around that I don't usually have to contend with during the school year.
The chip basket I'm afraid, did get hit :twisted: yesterday. But really it was a successful day, I even had a green dot...and then after the movie last night, and AT 11 o'clock at night, I randomly snuck a handful of nuts. What the heck????

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:48 pm

The chip basket is my nemeses too (: I feel like eating those chips leads me to eat more at my meal too. They make me hungrier when the food comes ): Last night I went to mexican & because I wanted a N day I told myself no chip basket but instead order steak nachos for dinner which actually worked. I ate much less overall, & still got my chip fix in.

I hear you on kids back in school!! I have 14, 12, & 10 year olds that went back on Thursday & already our schedule feels more calm & there is much more eating meals at home (: (:

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Allison- I'm so, so glad to hear that your daughter is doing well! That really brightened my day. What a blessing!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Thank you Sonya, good to hear from you!!!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:46 pm

This first S weekend back was as pitiful, caloric and 'S days gone wild' as it could get. I think from past experience this is going to make the upcoming week easier. I'm actually excited to get to Monday to not snack.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:11 pm

End of first Monday a great success. Egg sandwich for breakfast, Saladworks for lunch, cream ch sandwich and watermelon for dinner. Turned down lots of begging from my daughter to try things she made through the day. Next Monday, they'll be in school. 147.2 on the scale. I have no goal, only to report weekly that it's slowly going down. I've watched it slowly go up all summer, so as long as I see anything going down on my scale, I WILL BE HAPPY!!!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:18 am

I love your relaxed attitude toward the scales!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 am

Good morning. Ok I'm ready for another day. Just had an egg salad sandwich and a handful of nuts. My daughter commented the other day that it was the first time she's ever seen me eat a sandwich. It's true! But it's a fantastic step towards eating a real meal. I seriously usually eat Stacy's Pita chips throughout the day and whatever else snacky. yet somehow not seeming all that unhealthy. Unfortunately I know how much that really all adds up to. Without counting I am just trying to eyeball each meal to be 500 calories. It's much easier than my usual method of calories written on random paper all over the house. 146.4, not trying to weigh each day but looking for an estimate of what I'm really starting at.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Allisonmeg wrote:My daughter commented the other day that it was the first time she's ever seen me eat a sandwich. It's true! But it's a fantastic step towards eating a real meal.
This made me chuckle!

Three meals a day - what heaven!

One of my greatest joys when I started doing No S was to ALLOW myself to enjoy bread again!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Ugh, a red dot day. Started with a bite of a shortbread cookie at 10:30 this morning. Now at 3pm, while contemplating a red dot or to slyly not count it, I sealed the deal by eating the rest of my son's graham crackers and milk and cap'n crunch. Oh and then a bite of mac n cheese. My goal now is to not eat anymore today and not give into a binge because I have a red day anyway. 146.0

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:00 am

It is Monday and LALALaa ! Woohoo the kids just left for the first day of school. I just love having a routine back. Weighed 145.7 this morning. Tiny but heading in the right direction. Had a cream cheese and olive sandwich for breakfast, hubby and I will go out to lunch, and then I'll be making first dinner of the new school year.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:16 pm

I did well yesterday until dinner :cry: Then I sampled my way through the extra yummy 'first day of school" "welcome back to a routine" dinner. I didn't go crazy or anything, so that part was a success. So I will get over thinking about that and try again today!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Congrats on having some time to yourself again! I always find the last part of summer vacation to be a challenging time. We are all going a little stir crazy So maybe you could even call the first day of school an S day. Definitely worthy of a little celebration.

Either way sounds like it was a pretty mild red day & you're doing great otherwise so just mark it and move on.

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:24 am

I like that Linda, MARK IT AND MOVE ON. I tend to get one red dot day and ruin the entire week.
I've not stopped cardio since starting Jan 1st, and now my husband is ready to get off the summer eating and join me for workouts as well. It is SO much easier when he's on board with me.
I keep having a hard time not snacking around 10am. I've been drinking hot v8 juice mixed with half water and hot sauce to get around this.
I also have a hard time making dinner for the kids and not eating along the way. It's so many years of doing this that it's hard to break. I got the No S ing down last school year but this first week is kind of rough!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:57 am

Yesterday was much easier, I got over the "freaking out to eat anything in sight" mood I was in the 3 previous days. Today is Mad Greek Pita day so that already makes it easy for most of the day.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Wow, last night I had a late night binge that was probably the worst one I've ever had. And I've had some doozies. It's been a pretty stressful week with some issues going on. My stomach this morning doesn't even feel like anything digested, just disgusting. chocolate cookies, deluxe nuts, sweet potato chips, rice krispies x3 bowls. ugh.So my goal today is to eat 3 smaller meals and not fast all day, which is what I stayed awake all night long thinking about. 147.6

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:27 pm

It's been a good weekend and Labor Day. I have eaten well with very minimal slip ups, and it's getting easier now.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Great!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:45 pm

My computer died and my new one just got here yesterday, so I am back! No scale change, 145.8 this morning. Ready to begin a good No S day tomorrow