Anoulie is back and checking in again!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anoulie

Anoulie is back and checking in again!

Post by Anoulie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Some of you may remember me from when I first started No S in 2009/10ish. I followed the rules religiously for 9 months or so, then fell off the wagon and have struggled with perfectionism, emotional eating, body image issues etc. since then. I've re-tried to do No S on and off, but it never lasted, and now, 7 months after my wedding, I'm at my heaviest weight yet, and for the first time, my BMI has me in the 'overweight' category (145 lb at 5' 2" yields a 26.5 BMI). My husband also gained a few pounds since we got married, and we kept saying, "We gotta eat healthier, we gotta exercise, we gotta lose weight" but we never really did anything about it, until last week, when I suggested trying No S together.

Yesterday was our first N day and I actually didn't find it too difficult -- we were quite busy, so that helped, too. Today is a bit of a struggle, since I don't have any plans, my husband is working, and I skipped breakfast because I slept until 11:30 or so.

My goal weight is 120 to 125 lb, but more importantly, I want to improve my eating habits and my relationship with food and my body in general. I also want to start eating slower and drinking more water. Here's to 21 days of Vanilla No S, for starters!

Nov 12
Nov 13

Nov 14
Last edited by Anoulie on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:22 pm

So nice to see you again.
Sometimes we just have to keep starting again, and one time it will really stick!
I wish you the best!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:36 pm

Good luck Anoulie! I'm also starting for a 21 day streak...I've been on and off No S for years just depending on my motivation levels. It's the most sane way of eating. I am using a mod suggested by Lifeisablessing that seems to be working for me. It's basically eat anything (no restrictions) but only 3 plates a day. So far, this has helped me tremendously with my binge issues. I'm going to start logging my success/failures as well as a daily weigh in.

I'll be checking in on your thread too! Good luck to you. We can do this!!!
:)
moderatemeals

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 pm

I reeeally struggled with hunger between meals today. Not sure if it was a mental thing or my meals weren't substantial enough... Anyway, I held out till dinner, but a few hours after dinner, I was still sooo hungry, so I had some chocolate-covered raisins :oops: Whoops. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:19 am

Happy to report an entire green week! But let's start at the beginning...

You heard about my Tuesday last week, and Wednesday wasn't any better: I already knew I would have a social event later that would require me to snack (my friends and I met to make a dessert and eat it together and watch a show). So my resolve was already weakened. I had the rest of the chocolate-covered raisins and some more tortilla chips.

Thursday went fine, though!

Friday, however, I felt really bad (emotionally), and I couldn't even put my finger on why. It was weird. So in some strange act of rebellion, I ate a Mars bar after lunch. What's awesome about this, however, is that after that one FAILURE, I went back to regular No S for the rest of the day. A few years ago, I would've gone straight to munching all the candy in the house once the day turned red. So in a way, this was a bigger success than a green day would have been.

On Saturday, I weighed 143.5 lb (65.1 kg). Not really any weight loss since I last weighed myself about 10 days before, but I didn't really expect it. Maintenance is progress!

On the weekend, I didn't eat anything but sweets and snacks. Should probably work on that... but the good news is that I never felt overfull and didn't binge! What also helped was that I had a cold coming on, so my appetite was pretty low.

This week, I was pretty sick and stayed in bed a lot. My appetite was near-zero, so Tuesday through Friday, I only had lunch and dinner, no breakfast. It was pretty easy this week :D

Today, I weighed 141.3 lb :)
No day but today.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:44 am

congratulations on your progress!!
Anoulie wrote: So in some strange act of rebellion, I ate a Mars bar after lunch. What's awesome about this, however, is that after that one FAILURE, I went back to regular No S for the rest of the day. A few years ago, I would've gone straight to munching all the candy in the house once the day turned red. So in a way, this was a bigger success than a green day would have been.
totally!!
i feel that way, too, after failures... getting right back on track, right back on habit after a fall is such a strong i-can-do-this message to oneself...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Anoulie wrote:Happy to report an entire green week! But let's start at the beginning...

Friday, however, I felt really bad (emotionally), and I couldn't even put my finger on why. It was weird. So in some strange act of rebellion, I ate a Mars bar after lunch. What's awesome about this, however, is that after that one FAILURE, I went back to regular No S for the rest of the day. A few years ago, I would've gone straight to munching all the candy in the house once the day turned red. So in a way, this was a bigger success than a green day would have been.

On the weekend, I didn't eat anything but sweets and snacks. Should probably work on that... but the good news is that I never felt overfull and didn't binge!
Oh! these are triumphs! Way to go :) Not going on to consume All The Things after that Mars bar is a HUGE victory. and then not overindulging over the weekend. Yeah, I'd say you're doing superbly.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi, Anoulie! I remember reading your old thread with great interest - I could relate to many of your posts, especially those in which you pondered whether NoS could be reinforcing binge eating mentality for some people. Still asking myself the same question...
Congratulations on your marriage! I also tied the knot this year. It's fantastic to see so many folks getting through major life changes and yet still going back to regular posting and NoS.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and looking forward to reading about your progress!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Any chance you want to join the 2017 year commitment challenge? There's at least one other person who also started in 2009 and realized it had been that long.

But don't do it if it will feel more like a burden than a support. Do it the way that works for you!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)