BizzyBee 2017 - no quitting!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bizzybee

BizzyBee 2017 - no quitting!

Post by bizzybee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm

So, I registered this account in 2007 - it's been a decade of more starts and failures than I want to admit. I have tried every diet under the sun and I keep coming back here because I do want to be freed from food obsession and diet obsession and this is the only system that gives me that.

New Years Day is often where resolutions begin and end in quick succession. There is a magic to the New year, a chance to start again, a chance to press the reset button.... but I have been here before and I need to do this with a different mind-set than I have in the past. I will not be returning to Weight Watchers by March or checking my pee for Ketones by summer-time. My goal for this year is not to lose a specific number of pounds or even to have a specific percentage of green days, my goal is just to not give up, to not try something else. I am accepting that there will be red days and my resolution is to wake up and try again. The thing I read over and over in my journals is that I am frustrated because I'm not losing weight with No-S. But I also admit I am not following it for more than a week or two at a time.

Welcome to 2017, a year of patience.

About me, I'm 45 year old, 5'8", 240 pounds. I am actually 20 pounds less than I was last year around this time and that was my highest weight ever.
I have been married for 19 years to a truly good human being who is naturally slim and eats non-stop. I work at home along side my husband. We started a company 15 years ago and are still doing our own thing. The constant proximity to the kitchen is a drawback however.

My children are now young adults. My daughter is 19 and in school to be a personal trainer, athletic director. She is in fantastic shape of course, her hobby is rowing and she hopes to one day be a rowing coach. She's a really lovely person, very driven and intense but also silly and kind.
My son is 16, suddenly very tall, he also rows, made it into the fast boat this year and has to work hard to stay there. He's funny and nerdy and he doles out hugs generously to all of us.
Through some stroke of luck, I have kids who do not break rules or party or feel the need for rebellion. They are both happy to just hang out with their family and a few close friends.

So that's my short bio - life is stressful right now for a variety of reasons but waiting for it to be a "better" time to start No-S is silly.

bizzybee

Day 1

Post by bizzybee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Always start on an S day!
I have a fat stripey grey kitten in my lap and hot coffee - life is pretty good.

I am making pancakes and sausage is a few minutes for the kids and their friends who slept over - I might have some too

Today is a big cooking day - I am making our traditional New Years feast, black eyed peas, corn bread and collard greens. Though my family is from New England I have adopted my husbands southern traditions.

I am also making a pan of chicken enchiladas for lunches this week and I might make a pineapple upside down cake. I'm just not sure I want it sitting around calling to me for the next few days.

I will try to take a thirty minute walk as soon as it warms up a bit. My activity goals are pretty simple. I have an Apple Watch and I am trying to fill up my activity rings every day. I made it 60 days in a row once, have to say I was feeling pretty good then.

tobiasmom

Happy New Uear

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Wow! Sounds like you are having a blissful day. Wish I was there to partake in all the deliciousness!! Your family sounds amazing. I, like you, am just sick of starting and stopping constantly. Let's kick this obsession this year and enjoy it along the way &#128077;&#128077;
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 am

Your family sounds delightful!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 am

I'm afraid something bad happened. I'm sorry I didn't reach out sooner. How has your year gone?

Warmest wishes.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)