Tessytwinkles year of wonder

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tessytwinkle

Tessytwinkles year of wonder

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Ok, the start of being accountable. I'm aiming for a year of NoS. I weigh 210lb and need to lose 21lb 10%of my body weight. But I have been obsessed with diets and now am going to try and trust noS and only follow that. No mods, no 16:8 , no 5:2, no low carb, high fat, no points, no sachets, no Counting cals, no cabbage soup and no eternally questing for the answer. I shall try again to trust food and trust this way of life. So here goes
Breakfast: sheeps yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, blueberries one fig
Lunch: smoked tofu, fried egg, tomatoes
Dinner: veggie lentil shepherds pie, sprout tops, leeks and bit grated cheese

Day two safely green.

nettee

Post by nettee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Yay! Well done on a good first day
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 am

Yay!!! I'm back at it once again too &#128077;&#128077;
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 am

Way to go Tessytwinkle... Great first days! You are in the right place finally!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Phew- another good day. This really helps my confidence. Plus I started back to work today. First time for ages I have worked and not overeaten. Hooray!!!!
Thank you so much for your encouragement allisonmeg and nette, so appreciated :-) You're back too tobiasmom, I am so delighted you are around. Let's nail it this time!!! Good luck &#128077;

Breakfast - plain yoghurt, blueberries, pumpkin seeds, one fig.
Lunch: smoked tofu, egg, tomato
Dinner: jacket potato, baked beans, tomatoes, olives.

Hmm need to get some green stuff factored in. Onwards :arrow:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 am

Yay! Great job Tessy. One day at a time!

Linda&#10084;&#65039;
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi Linda. Thanks so much for your support. You set off on the road and stayed on it. I am following you now and you are a fab role model &#128522;
Another green day today although I'm feeling pretty hungry tonight. That must be good though!!!
Breakfast : Brazil nuts, kiwi frui, carrot, fig
Lunch: sourdough rye. Cheese, avocado, apple, tomato
Dinner: cauliflower cheese, few potatoes, peas

One more day to go before my first green week. I'm not going to ruin it now. - I hope!!!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 am

You're doing great, tessy twinkle!!!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:55 am

Thank you for such kind support Maggiemae.
Weighed myself today lost 3lbs!!! Great start. I also feel much calmer without the sugar. Yesterday I made white bread for someone and I feel really grim after eating it so going to moderate that a bit in future go back to my homemade sourdough. I've got the weekend to negotiate now so making a cake for a visit to my sons. Chosen banana cake as I don't like it much :lol:
I really, really want this so badly. I must keep going changing myself for good I hope. Next week major challenge as I am back at work. Not a place I find easy to cope in food wise!!! Here's to a good weekend &#128516;&#128516;

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Awesome Tessy! You're off to a great start.

But no cake even on an S day? Is that because you just feel better without sugar in general?

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm

You are doing awesome, Tessy!! Go You!!! &#128512;&#128512;
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Linda I think I imagined I wasn't going to have cake but in fact of course I have had cake. I need to think quite carefully about the S days and not end up dieting. I must be more confident that this will work with both S and noS days !!! Thanks for gently nudging me dear friend &#128077;
Hi Zippadee. How lovely you are still here. Thanks for your kind support. Hope you are going well too.
Sunday tomorrow. Looking forward to a little coffee oat milk shake :-)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Oh dear a terrible start to the week. I have started back at work, the place where I have always stumbled and failed and sure enough that is just what i have done, eating sweets and crisps . I am so ashamed of myself and so disappointed. It is this that makes me believe I just cannot ever moderate my life and my food. work has been the cause of great stress for me and immoderate eating for years, but i cannot stay away fomr work for ages while I try to sort out mky eating. DRAT!!!!!!! Feeling very low, with the day yet to finish :oops: :oops: :oops:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Tessy! I'm so sorry you're having a rough start today but do not give up and whatever you do, do not beat yourself up !

Overeating is not a moral failure and in fact is probably just your way of trying to take care of yourself. Be kind to yourself and thank yourself for trying to care for yourself but acknowledge that trying to care for yourself in this way just isn't working anymore.

You are stronger than you think and definitely capable of doing this. Even doing NoS part way is better than not doing it all so don't let little failures become big ones if you can.

Just wipe the slate clean and begin again no matter where you are today. Tell yourself you can still have a green day of you want.

Also remember you cannot take shortcuts. You need to have piled plates, lots of milky drinks in between and you're probably going to need some wild S days to start with. All of this can be tweaked later but you must get that habit down first before you can do that.

Remember I didn't lose much weight for the first year but my habit was solid.
If I can do this you can too! I've been dieting and eating chaotically since I was ten and my day consisted of grazing from dawn to dark.

Don't give up. Problem solve. Try to get just one green day/week then two. Whatever it takes but you gotta fight a little.

Sorry for all the unsolicited advice but just know we're rooting for you!
*hugs* Pm me anytime !

Linda

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:08 am

Awwwe, Tessy! YES...what Linda said! Don't be too hard on yourself! Just brush yourself off and start again. I am rootin' for ya!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:40 pm

OK, a start again sort of day....
Thank you my dear friend Linda for having the time and patience to put me back on course. You are right, as you always are, it will take time to get into the habit and it is the habit that will work. Yes, I do remember you struggling to get the habit sorted at the start of your journey, as did I back then. But you have really shown me how determined you have been and how brilliantly this diet and way of life can work if you just stick to the basic rules and develop better habits. Sorry, i forgot this :-( But I am going to keep trying - bless you dear friend, you’ve hauled me back in. Thanks to you too dear Zippadee, your support is so precious and I know you too know it can be a hard trip!!

So a better day today, no sugar or seconds. Just a tiny fail this afternoon when I ate a brazil nut! But this was partly my own fault as I did not have a breakfast, as I felt so bad about all of the rubbish I ate yesterday. But now I realise I set myself up for a very hungry day, and that is not the way this works!! Ah well, no damage done. I am hoping to gte to then end of the day intact and back on course.

Breakfast – none – Bad girl!
Lunch – homemade vegetable soup, avocado and sourdough bread
Supper – homemade lentil shepherd’s pie, with greens

I am trying to make more of my food from scratch – it’s enjoyable and part of reengaging with my tummy &#61514;

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 am

Glad you're hanging on Tessy! You can probably just count that nut as your breakfast. ;)

I agree punishing always backfires. Each day needs to be a clean slate!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 am

Wonderful advice here from Linda - including counting that stray Brazil nut as your breakfast! Hang in there Tessy - you can do it!