Soprano

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Re: Soprano

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:50 am

Well done, Soprano! It is so nice to hear how you've got on, thanks for being an inspiration here! That pound will come off soon enough as you are back to your good habits now. If only you would have that kind of success with finding things in the clothes shops that you like :wink:

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 am

Well that pound has come back off just by returning to normal eating habits. I've also been trying to walk for at least 20 mins a day to help my blood sugars.

Despite the winter weather I have managed most days.

I've taken up a charity challenge to do 100 skips a day. I am so unfit cardio wise!! But after a few days building up can manage 100 non stop. Unless I tangle my feet in the rope :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:40 am

Good that your normal eating habits have banished that lb . Well done on the walking and skipping.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:29 pm

Thank you Ladybird x
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:28 pm

How are you doing these days? :D
SW: 65.8 kg CW: 62.8 kg - GW: 59.9 kg

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:59 am

Hi Ellis

I'm ok thank you for checking in.

Weight has stayed the same I am still trying to eat low carb and do some time restricted eating. I completed my skipping challenge :)

Still trying to walk most days. My Hba1c blood test had dropped a point but I'm still in prediabetic range so need to up my game really.

Just lately I've lost my motivation and am eating more carbs than I should and finding the tre harder. I think it is possibly down to work stresses. They should ease in a couple of months all being well.

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:43 pm

It's a totally non-No S strategy, but may I give you a link for a kind of rather radical (more about temporary calorie reduction than on severe limitation of carbs) but statistically effective strategy for reversing diabetes? It's based on the concept of each body having a fat threshold which I read about nearly two years ago but independent of this doctor's work, which the site posting the concept seemed to ignore, I think because it was pushing low carb. Apparently it's more effective for people already in trouble than for prevention. If it came to that for me, it's the strategy I would use now that I know I have a workable way to live with food afterward, even though I know I would still have to navigate exposure to food excess and some rebound desire. But if it would be triggering, I completely understand. I remember years ago feeling deflated when I would read posts on another site from a woman who seemed to be at peace with her regime, which included limiting herself to two cookies on Christmas day and a few other days of the year and no sweets otherwise. I would feel like weeping when I read her posts. I don't want to engender any weeping unless it's in joy!

BTW, I found a little item called JumpSnap years ago. I don't know if they still make it but "ropeless" devices are available in other brands. It has handles and a swinging ball that simulates the rotation of a rope, but with no tangling or missing steps! It has some electronic features to count revolutions and such but I never learned to use them. I'm inspired by your post about jumping to get it back out and commit. I think at one point I actually got up to three minutes but got WTH discouraged because I had started because of a fitness guy who had people doing 30 minutes a day! That sounded so impossible that I "crashed the car" instead of living with just denting it. Does that metaphor fit? I dunno.

Good job keeping at it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed May 17, 2023 6:04 pm

Good to hear from you Oolala. I would be interested in the link you mentioned.

Jx

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:09 am

You could try searching for personal fat threshold. Which hypothesis proposes that diabetes is linked to excess fat storage in the liver and pancreas, and remission may be possible by reducing the fat and allowing better organ function. It also suggests that the body fat level at which organ fat causes diabetes is individual to each person.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun May 21, 2023 5:53 am

Thank you Ladybird

Jx

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Hope you are doing well! When do you have another check for your pre-diabetes? Do you still walk every day? I'm aiming for 4000 steps a day again. it's not that much but I hope to get back into the habit of moving more.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:49 pm

I haven't got a date for my next test I might try end of July but I haven't changed anything that would make a difference.

I have signed up for a programme that gives you a cgm for 2 weeks so that will be interesting. That should arrive July so might be worth a retest a few months after that.

Jx

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:15 am

Hi soprano, I don't know anything about CGMs but I hope that it is helpful to you. It sounds like an interesting program and information about our health is usually helpful. I will be interested to hear how it goes for you after you receive it, if you're willing to share. Best regards, WIN
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Sorry, I just saw this. I don't remember what link I meant but this one has pertinent info. It might mean a period of more traditional calorie-cutting dieting, but IMO solving health conditions is what "diets" are for. For example, keto is life changing for epileptics; weight loss is just a side effect and the lifestyle for the average person may not have advantages long term. I like hearing that people were able to process glucose closer to normal after the weight loss as long as they maintained the loss. Apparently it can even help those who are not actually overweight but still develop diabetes since they could just have a very low threshold, as apparently many Asians do, developing diabetes even without being very overweight.

https://www.hcplive.com/view/roy-taylor ... -remission
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:58 pm

Thank you Oolala that was really interesting:)

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:32 pm

Was the program with the cgm with Zoe? I did that. It was interesting and led me to get my own finger-pricking monitor. It's been a journey. I decided to greatly decrease anything that took me much past 140-even some high fiber whole starches did that, so I cut them down-, though I found most things either stayed under that or went pretty high. Like pizza crust, white bread, pasta. The usuals. Cherries. Way high! 180, even 200. I don't eat as much fruit as I used to. But I've read/heard that most data shows that smaller spikes that resolve within 1-2 hours are not considered problems. I'm betting on that.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:57 am

Hi Oolala

Yes it is Zoe I fitted my monitor yesterday. Going to be a fun two weeks. It's fascinating to me anyway how it changes minute by minute. I have a finger prick test I bought a while ago and use occasionally but this will certainly add to my education.

Jx

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:40 am

Hi Soprano, let us know how you go.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:35 am

Good luck with the monitor!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:16 am

Thanks both I will. :)

Jx

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:51 pm

Hi Soprano, Just wanted to say that I hope things are going well for you. Best regards, WIN

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:51 am

Thanks Win. My weight is fine. Just watching my blood sugars is scary!!

Jx

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:26 pm

Hi soprano,

I completely sympathize with the fear you expressed when watching your blood sugar. Blood sugar is a fluctuating physiological metric and so many things influence the number from one moment to the next that I imagine it can be disconcerting to see. Humans have never had access to this kind of data before, but on the other hand, we've never needed to before. But many of us need it now and I hope you are giving yourself credit for being brave in facing a fear for your long term good.

I'm sending you well-wishes and cyber-support as always.

Best regards,
WINhappy

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:53 pm

Thank you Win your post and support is much appreciated.

Jx

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:55 am

I don't weigh often but hopped on the scales this morning and my weight is slowly increasing.

My eating has slipped a bit recently, 2 week holiday didn't help. It's only 3lbs or so but I think action to change direction may be needed.

I am going to join a gym at the weekend, I have been planning this for a while so that I can concentrate on muscle building and make sure I exercise through the winter. I walk a lot in the summer but come dark nights it's not so appealing.

Probably should look at my eating patterns too. Work is stressful so I am sure that is not helping. I haven't followed no s for some years so might be a good place to start. ...

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:28 am

Joined the gym and have been twice this week, early morning before work!!

I have an easy program whilst I get in the routine of it. Still doing 2 x 30 min yoga sessions at home and walking when I can.

My mood has been low of late so do hope this will help that too.

Jx

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:14 am

Wow, well done on getting to the gym before work! Fingers crossed your new exercise routine also has a positive impact on your mood - hang in there!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:46 am

Thanks Amy

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:12 am

I hope the exercise helps with your mood as well. About 3/4 hour brisk walking outdoors seems to do the trick for me

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:27 am

Thank you, strangely my mood has started to lift.

I've set my self an aim of 2 x 30 min sessions a week before work.

2 weeks in now :)

Jx

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:54 am

Great to hear that! Well done! :mrgreen:

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:32 am

That's great, Soprano! (Both meeting your goal for exercise and the mood lift!) WINhappy

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:03 pm

Hi Soprano, how are you doing lately?

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:05 pm

Hi

Sorry I've been missing of late, combination of work, short break to visit my goddaughter and see her new baby then a cold!!

Exercise was going really well until I went away and then came back to my brother visiting and catching a cold.

My weight is stable but has crept up. I was invited by doctor's clinic to a prediabetes course. I attended twice but don't think it is for me.

I read a really interesting book about personal fat threshold and type 2 diabetes by prof Roy Taylor. Some food for thought.

I was also asked to make an appointment for my hba1c test so am going between Christmas and New year. I doubt it has improved but I am going to formulate a plan for the new year. Then I'll try and retest end of March to see if anything has improved.

Wish me luck :)

Jx

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:24 am

Good luck, Soprano! It often seems like we get into a good groove with something and then life butts in and throws us off of it. I hope you find your balance again soon! Can be tricky with the holidays, but hang in there! :mrgreen:

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:54 am

Thanks Amy

Jx

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 pm

Hi Soprano, I hope your A1C test came back improved. But even if it didn't, the fact that you are focusing on a plan in 2024 for the March re-test will stand you in good stead. Wishing you all the best as we head into 2024! WINhappy

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:38 am

Thanks Win I had to cancel the appointment as I had COVID!

Will book again when I am clear

Jx

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:26 am

Oh dear, soprano, I'm very sorry to hear that! I hope your COVID infection was not serious and that you are fully recovered. Do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself! Best regards, Win