Merrygoround’s first week

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merrygoround

Merrygoround’s first week

Post by Merrygoround » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:00 pm

So here we go! I am aiming to do this for one week!

After so many years of dieting, I have ended up obsessed with food, and have had gone a little silly over the weekend.

The goal this week is to just work the programme. And this is why I have made a daily diary.
I hereby pledge to do this for one week! :D
Merry

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Good luck, any problems please do ask

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 pm

You got this!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 am

One week with an achievable goal - sounds good to me.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Hello everyone, thank you for the welcome. :D

I did great on the first day. Habit seems to be the biggest problem.....I work from home, and when things get tedious I find myself drifting into the kitchen!

So I put a notice on the fridge of a big S! Just to remind me. I also had more drinks than usual (just earl grey tea, milk, no sugar, China cup
:lol: ), which was fine until bedtime .......

So, Monday food.
Breakfast, porridge.
Lunch. Smoothie.
Supper. A baked potato with hummus, and a large slice of leftover pizza from last night, with some cherry tomatoes. (I really was hungry after aikido!).
Exercise. 2 hours Aikido.

Onwards to day 2.
Merry

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 pm

Good luck with your week! :)

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 am

Yay, go you! I am new too. Keep it up!
-Nic

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 01, 2018 4:53 am

I drank a lot in the beginning too. You’ll need to drinks less and less overtime. Now I mostly just drink water.

Your food looks good. Are you a vegetarian?

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue May 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi pearl mum......here is my big confession......I’m actually a vegan :shock:

I don’t tend to tell people unless they ask, and even then I sometimes say I am a dairy free vegetarian. I know that leaves eggs but actually they are the least of my worries. I also don’t lose the plot if somebody makes a mistake and uses Wooster sauce for example (has anchovies). I do this because I dislike modern farming practices, for both the animals and the environment, but I still put humans before animals. I will now be shouted at by all the real vegans out there.

I’m actually quite frightened of political vegans, which is why I say I’m a dairy free vegetarian. I also have inconsistencies. For example, I have a 20 year old car we have looked after well, and is still going strong. We brought it 11 years ago, when we were actually semi-vegetarians, and it has leather seats.....
I am not selling a good car that we have looked after to buy one in worse condition because of the seats, that does not seem the environmental choice to me. Political vegans are especially nasty to people like me. I don’t know why.

Anyway, back to Tuesday.
I am counting it as green.
Exercise. 6km run.
Breakfast porridge (with frozen blueberries, yum!)
Lunch. Mashed potatoes, cauliflower and a tomato bean sauce.
Supper. Curry (the rest of the cauliflower, pepper and whatever veg was lying around, in a coconut cream based curry sauce) with rice.

And supper was where the problem came. For years I have been eating from a tiny plate as suggested everywhere for dieters. And last night my husband dished up while I fed the pets. And he dished up a tiny portion on my tiny plate from habit. So I had seconds, but I don’t think I had more than I would have had on a regular plate.

Actually plate size I am struggling with. How much to actually eat. I wander from stuffing myself to not eating enough and being fantastically hungry 2 hours before the next meal. I expect I’ll get he hang of it soon though.

2 days safely under my belt. Here goes for day 3

Thank you everyone for your support.
Merry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Oh dear! I feel your pain. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and a vegan for only 7 months. I admire the motivations behind it but was really turned off by the hardcore types. I think your approach is much more humane & sensible. I hate all the judgment that goes with it for some of these groups. We’re all just doing our best.

I do love vegan cooking and can see going back to it at some point. Maybe when my kids are out of the house!

Linda

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu May 03, 2018 12:33 am

I think it’s really sad about hardcore vegans. They do so much more harm than good. I know many people who say they considered veganism for one reason or another, but were put off by the latest vegan outrage on the media.

And yes, it’s much easier offer the kids leave home!

Day 3 went well, best day so far.
No exercise, rest day.
Breakfast, porridge
Lunch, leftovers
Supper, curry and homemade naan.
Merry

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Thu May 03, 2018 12:58 am

Good job, Merry! Keep it up!
-Nic

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 am

Merry I think you are fine to count your two small plates as one. You will know when you are fooling yourself

I like your attitude to being a vegan

Good luck

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu May 03, 2018 5:11 am

Soprano wrote:Merry I think you are fine to count your two small plates as one. You will know when you are fooling yourself

I like your attitude to being a vegan

Good luck

Jx
I agree!

Good luck with No S, you're doing great!

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu May 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Day 4.
Exercise. 5km walk. 1.5 hours Aikido
Breakfast porridge
Lunch. Sandwiches. Hummus, tomato and lettuce on whole-wheat pitta.
Supper.......none

The no supper is interesting. It was not intentional. I eat after aikido so I don’t get tummy ache when I exercise. Aikido is from 5.30pm to 7pm and I get home about 8pm. I had made potato and lentil soup before I left so I just had to heat it up when I got home.

BUT, it was a hard class with a lot of rolling, and I felt a little nauseous when I got home. Previously I would have eaten anyway even though I wasn’t hungry because years of ‘never skip a meal or starvation mode will get you’. But I remembered pearl Mum and her fasting and decided not to eat if I didn’t want to. I had a cuppa and a shower and then thought about the soup again, but still felt nauseous at the thought. So didn’t eat. I wasn’t even hungry at bedtime. Now, Friday morning I’m a bit peckish, but I will go for a short run and have my usual porridge.

Just today to get through and I will have my first week under my belt :D
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi and welcome!

Try not to worry about what and how much are on your plate for now. You're not on a diet. You're weaning yourself off overeating and into a moderate lifestyle. Those adjustments come with time. You might be able to get it down in a few weeks, but you would be a No S Superstar if you did. Even Reinhard said he had some beastly plates in the beginning and over the years.

Besides, you're doing so well!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Oh no! Failure Friday!

Every Friday (for 35 years) my husband and I have had a little extra something at 5pm. He has a glass of wine, or a beer and I have a glass of fizzy grape juice, and a treat. The treat can be anything, posh cake, hummus and crackers, whatever. It’s our little, end-of-the-week ritual. We kept it up through the weigh loss years, I saved calories, or when I was zero carb we had a plate of salami type things etc. when we went vegan it changed to vegan doughnuts or whatever.

We would eat, drink and have together time, and then eat supper late.

Last night I said I would just have the drink, and he was devastated. “It won’t be the same.....†so I joined in. (Homemade bagael chips with hummus) This man has loved me fat and thin, he has been there through good times and bad times, through 35 years of marriage, 3 live births and a number of miscarriages, through the failure of my business (don’t worry love, we can live on my wage, we can do it) and has helped me lose 90lbs, eaten whatever I have eaten, kept his treats out the house, helped me start running and get fit, etc etc etc......and if our little Friday night ritual means that much to him, then I am keeping it.

So.....after much thought, I think my s days start at 5pm on Friday, and continue through Saturday. I think Sunday will be an n day. We don’t do big Sunday lunch in this house, mainly because we are usually up a mountain somewhere, also if the kids all come round for a meal, it’s Saturday night we do it, so that works too.

I thought I would just do the programme ‘as is’ at first, and not worry about mods, but life has a way of upsetting ones plans!

Friday.
Exercise 4km run
Breakfast, porridge
Lunch. Potato and lentil soup, a large roll with hummus and a few grapes.
Snack. Bagel chips and hummus
Supper. Linda McCartney ‘sausages’ chips and beans.
Merry

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 pm

I really wouldn't worry about your Friday night treat. Long term if you are being moderate through the week and not going silly on the weekends it isn't going to cause any problems.

You need a plan that you can stick to for life. I'm sure you'll make this work

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 pm

That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. And given that since S days start with breakfast on Saturday and go to Sunday night-officially someone could eat right up to bed time but that would probably being an "idiot"-, they're really about 36 hours. So you could even have an S on Sunday mornings. Or not. You wouldn't be the first to skip a weekend day.

What a lucky woman you are. Those things certainly trump being overweight, in my book. However, it helps to look at that from this side of the weight loss fence.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 05, 2018 3:51 am

I like your plan. This has to be sustainable and fit your lifestyle. Your Friday night ritual sounds v special. I would work around it. Your husband sounds awesome btw!

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Sat May 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you, people. I appreciate your support. Yes.....I know exactly how lucky I am :D And Oolala, I like the idea of a Sometimes Sunday (morning) too. It means a Sunday brunch is not off the cards, occasionally.

So, Sunday morning here, and Saturday was my first official S day. It was fine. I had an Aikido practice grading, which is run just like a real grading, but isn’t the real thing if you know what I mean. Then we have 3 weeks to work on whatever we need to before the real thing. I am just about the lowest of the low, which is fine, except I end up going first or second. Still it got it over with quickly.

Exercise. Aikido
Breakfast. Porridge
Snack. I had breakfast at 6am, and aikido was 11.30-1, so just before I had some chocolate, about 6 small squares, and a mini packet of date n nut balls.
Lunch. Went out for lunch with one of my adult kids to a new vegan restaurant. Very nice, but very big portions. Couldn’t eat it all despite us sharing a portion of chips, so brought some home.
Snack. Made lemon chia muffins and ate 2 warm from the oven.
Supper. Small baked potato, 1/2 leftover pie from lunch, broccoli, hummus.

So week 2 plan is....
Sunday to Thursday are n days. S days start at 5pm Friday and run through Saturday. Sunday is either an n day, or a sometimes Sunday depending on what is happening.

Onwards.......
Merry

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Sun May 06, 2018 8:09 am

I loved your story of the Friday ritual and the words to your husband are simply moving.

Your mod is perfectly acceptable :wink:

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Merry,

I love the way you are thinking this through and applying a mod that absolutely works for your lifestyle and your relationship. If you didn't it would be a sticking point that would show up in some other area. So good on you!

You are doing really great. Well done!
-Nic

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm

It's great that you're into aikido, I hope the proper grading goes well for you!

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Sun May 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Good morning people, :D

Thank you again for your support. It’s wrird but last night when I ‘fancied a little something ‘ the thought of having to log in and fess up kept me on the straight and narrow.....even though I have never actually met any of you!

Tombo.....i Started Aikido when I was 54, after I had tripped a few times when running. Running I also started later in life, aged 49 when I started my big weight loss. My husband is a runner, as is one of my adult kids and they helped when I couldn’t even run for 1 minute. Anyway, I thought maybe I could work on my balance, and if not at least learn to fall safely, so I tried Aikido. Discovered I really like it. I progress a lot slower than the young people, but progress I do, albeit at my own pace. Do you do a martial art?

Sunday.
Rest day
Breakfast, porridge
Lunch, homemade sourdough kibbled grain rolls, straight from the oven, with hummus and salad.
Dinner. Curry, rice, broccoli.

Weight. One week. I am actually down almost a pound! This is a bit of a surprise. I am doing this to maintain a weight loss (90lbs loss done with a variety of both sensible and frankly weird diets) rather than lose weight. I still have more weight to lose (current bmi 24.5 ish) but the dieting years have left me with a seriously warped and disfuntional attitude to eating and food in general. I need to learn to eat like a human being. To spend a week doing just that and not only not gain but lose a tad is revolutionary. I will carry on!

Onto week 2. I don’t think I need to list my food anymore. I’ll give it a try anyway. I think I will still check in daily for another week though, until this is a habit.

I really want to thank everyone for your support, encouragement and advice. I could not have done it without you.
Merry

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun May 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Well done on your weight loss to date and on finding this to help support that loss and sort your relationship with food.

It sounds like you have come along way. :)

Jx

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Mon May 07, 2018 8:19 am

Merrygoround wrote:Good morning people, :D

Thank you again for your support. It’s wrird but last night when I ‘fancied a little something ‘ the thought of having to log in and fess up kept me on the straight and narrow.....even though I have never actually met any of you!

Tombo.....i Started Aikido when I was 54, after I had tripped a few times when running. Running I also started later in life, aged 49 when I started my big weight loss. My husband is a runner, as is one of my adult kids and they helped when I couldn’t even run for 1 minute. Anyway, I thought maybe I could work on my balance, and if not at least learn to fall safely, so I tried Aikido. Discovered I really like it. I progress a lot slower than the young people, but progress I do, albeit at my own pace. Do you do a martial art?

Sunday.
Rest day
Breakfast, porridge
Lunch, homemade sourdough kibbled grain rolls, straight from the oven, with hummus and salad.
Dinner. Curry, rice, broccoli.

Weight. One week. I am actually down almost a pound! This is a bit of a surprise. I am doing this to maintain a weight loss (90lbs loss done with a variety of both sensible and frankly weird diets) rather than lose weight. I still have more weight to lose (current bmi 24.5 ish) but the dieting years have left me with a seriously warped and disfuntional attitude to eating and food in general. I need to learn to eat like a human being. To spend a week doing just that and not only not gain but lose a tad is revolutionary. I will carry on!

Onto week 2. I don’t think I need to list my food anymore. I’ll give it a try anyway. I think I will still check in daily for another week though, until this is a habit.

I really want to thank everyone for your support, encouragement and advice. I could not have done it without you.
Oh that's cool, it's great that you have taken these things up! Sorry to hear about your trips though, that can't have been nice at all!

I used to do Judo when I was a teenager and I enjoyed it. I don't do any martial arts at the moment. I have been thinking of taking one up but I have got back issues so I wouldn't be able to handle certain aspects of it until my back problem is resolved.

It's great that you have your family's support on the running, it sure can make a difference.

Well done for the weight loss, it's great you managed that even though you were just intending to maintain.

I wish you all the best for week 2 and the future!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 am

Merrygoround wrote: the thought of having to log in and fess up kept me on the straight and narrow.....even though I have never actually met any of you!
It is amazing, but having to fess up here has worked for me also.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 pm

How did the practice go?

I took a few classes in aikido in my 40's, I think. Hurt my shoulder pretty quick. It spooked me, and I also know with my burdensome teaching, I wouldn't give it the attention it deserved.

There was a female sensei (sp?) at a longstanding center in a community east of me near the ocean, I stopped by once. They even had an observer's bench. Students were sparring with her. I don't know if any of them- mostly men-were going easy on her, but I got the impression not. She was lightening fast. I'm sure I wasn't the first woman to wish that some attacker someday would get the surprise of his life if he met up with her.

But of course the first line of defense is just to run away.

And you are off the hook from ever needing to tell us such a story.

My opinion means nothing but I don't think you need to lose any more weight. A BMI of 24.5 is perfectly healthy, and may be more so in your later years. Now if it happens as a side effect of your moderation, that's another story.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/endocrinol ... logy/44843

But it that is your intent, congrats on moving closer to it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Oolala, I am so with you on the first defence being running away. We say “I won the fight by 100 yards!â€

I’m sorry your attempt at aikido went wrong. We are very careful of newbies, and shoulders in our club. It’s a common thing. And I love your story of the female sensi. We have one age 75 in our extended club. She is getting frail now, but she is still stunning in certain moves.

The grading practice went well. I did everything fine, I just need to look like I actually want to be there! I hate going out the front and being tested, and it obviously showed!

I read that article oolala and found it interesting. I have lost 90lbs to get where I am now, and my goal was always lose 100 pounds....just because! I came to no s to learn how to eat again. My diets varied over the years but I have been left with a totally warped attitude to food. No s is my attempt to maintain and be a part of the real world of food.

So really this is a maintenance diet but if I lose a little more....well obviously I will be happy.

All is going well this week. Wednesday and still all green. A few very large plates especially for dinner, but all good.
Merry

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 pm

HELP!

This is long, make a cuppa and settle down!

So, I was updating my status, and having a read around the journals seeing how everyone is getting on, when the phone goes. Is my mum in the UK. My husband and I are both from the UK but we now live in New Zealand with our 3 Kiwi kids. We have 2 boys and a girl, now all adults, ages 21-26.

I have been back to the uk since we came out here. One year we took all 3 kids for a winter Christmas, and I went back when my dad died. I made it in time to say goodbye. But it is a long and expensive trip. The last time I went (when my dad died) I was still obese. This made it a very long and difficult time in a plane. Well, Mum is going to be 85 on the 12 July. And all she wants for her birthday is for us all (me and my 3 siblings) to be there. I have an unmarried brother who lives in France, the other 2 and their families are in the UK, one family around the corner from Mum.

So....long story short....the families and Mum, and in particular the brother in France who is quite wealthy, have clubbed together for mums birthday present....which is me! They thought about me being a surprise, but that wouldn’t be good for mums heart. So she knows and has just rung me and said they will pay for the whole ticket! I’m going to the UK in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as the shock of this wore off two things came to mind. If my business hadn’t failed and I am now unemployed I would not have been able to just drop everything and go. Which is weird. And 2 I need to go on a diet!

Of course number 2 is the road to disaster. It was years of dieting that got me obese in the first place. And I will be doing the rounds of visits in the uk as well, to say nothing of THE party of the year!

So....I know what I need to do. I have until I fly (early July, but not got the ticket yet) to learn to no s. This is the only thing that will work in the uk. I don’t know how to do this, what about planes....I cross 12 time zones! What’s a day!?! What about visiting Aunt Helen, dads sister, who is not very mobile but scoots around the kitchen on her stool cooking because it’s what she loves to do. Panic panic.

So.....here is the plan. Last time they saw me I was obese. Now I am in the normal range. I need new clothes! But they are going to be surprised enough as it is. They know I have lost weight, but have not actually seen me. I would LOVE to say I have lost my 100lbs, but it’s only 2 months away. So, I am going to no s strictly. My s will be 5pm Friday night. Also Saturday sometimes, if I need it. I will ONLY eat good nutritious home cooked food. I know fried foods will not help me achieve my goal. Hopefully by the time I get to the uk, I will be the sort of person who does not eat between meals. The no s can carry on. On ordinary days this would be fine, but I can see the uk will be s day after s day after s day. And I want to enjoy this. If I am honest with myself this may be the last time I see my mum, and I am not wasting this precious time fretting about food.

So I am a muddled, joyful,panicked person at the moment.

Sorry about the ramble, I am all of a dither. Later after my husband and I have talked things through I will be more lucid.
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 pm

How wonderful! Such a generous family.

PLEASE give up wanting to be able to say you lost 100 lbs. Don't buy into that knee jerk clinging to the false idol! You are so much more than your weight. The odds of that going smoothly with good results are VERY low. Even a few pounds a month is a lot TO KEEP OFF for someone who has been obese. Get some flattering clothes; let them do the losing weight for you.

They haven't even seen you! They will be flabbergasted no matter how much you say you have lost. You can have boatloads of pride as is, if that's what you're going for. We set up these arbitrary standards for ourselves;what's so special about 100? Totally made up! Don't even tell them a number. Just say you aren't even sure anymore. You are just living life and enjoying your new eating and vitality.

Getting NO S down as well as you can is going to be your best bet now, when you're there, and when you come back. Seamless. Not a diet. A sustainable lifestyle. Yes?

And we are a couple of months away. You don't need to even be thinking about how you are going to handle the trip. That is the least of your worries right now. Just have as green a week as you can!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 pm

What an exciting thing! I am very happy and glad for you. So wonderful!

I had a similar reaction to oolala. Don't get strict and punitive with yourself. You have done such an amazing job already. Follow the plan in such a way that you can live with it and not go off the rails. A handful of pounds won't make much of a difference either way. They are hardly going to be able to believe their eyes when they see you as it is! :)
-Nic

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Merrygoround, enjoy your visit with your family. I also agree that you need not worry about that last 10 lbs.

People often have trouble with food in family situations - they don't want to be rude, they want to show their appreciation of what has been made, family special foods are on offer.

Some mental rehearsals of strategies such as polite but appreciative refusals may be of use to you before you see your family. After losing all that weight, you probably have a good toolkit for social situations.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 10, 2018 4:31 am

Family’s are tough. I agree with what everyone said. Don’t try suddenly get back into diet mode. That’s not going to help with your long term goals. Just keep it green and don’t stress about a certain number. Your family will be amazed either way & just happy to see you.

Also just do your best to stick to NoS on your trip but don’t worry about it too much. Try to get as many Green Day’s as possible but weight put on quickly will come off quickly as well. Focus on enjoying your time with your family.

This weight/diet stuff messes with us but you got this!

Linda

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 am

Merrygoround, please, please, please, do not diet.
Your goal when you started No S was to keep the weight, right? Did you feel comfortable and safe enough with your current weight, then, what has changed now? I know perfectly what you feel, I also have my family far away, and when I go to visit them, I want to be as thin as possible (I suppose that my mother's approval is very important to me, as well as to you and I suspect that for all of us ), but I also know that my mother appreciates positively any change she is making, even that she is not doing anything. It is my mother and her love is unconditional. So, do not panic. It is not necessary and it will destabilize you mentally.
You've lost a lot of weight, it's a great achievement, it's much more than many people get. Feel proud of it and stay like that. Your family will see the change, of course.

As for the meals there, they will probably want to know how you did it (weight loss), then you can tell them that you have new habits and that you do not eat between meals, nor dessert on weekdays, and I am sure they will understand and They will respect your new way of eating.
Courage, you are perfect just as you are.

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Wow, you have a generous family! I hope the trip goes well for you, it must be exciting going half way aroudn the world again hehe

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Wow what a lovely surprise. Don't throw away your Nos work to date. Your weight won't matter to your family, stick with the plan, it's for life :)

Concentrate on really developing the habits until you go and they will see you through the trip. Have a few extra S days while you are there after all you will be celebrating a bit. Don't worry about time zones just try and eat only when you are hungry during the journey. Small plates and lay off the sweet stuff

You'll be fine, we are all rooting for you. Whereabouts in the UK will you be?

Jx

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu May 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Gosh, thank you everyone, I am so touched by your advice and good wishes.

I have calmed down a bit now, so a quick update. I shall be going for about a month. My husband pointed out that as I had no children (all grown and flown) and no job at the moment this was probably a one off opportunity, so I might as well take a whole month. We have not got the tickets yet, but I am looking at being away for the whole of July. At home he just has to take care of an elderly cat and a lively dog, but as he is a keen runner that should not be a problem.

I will be based in North Yorkshire where my mother and my elder sister and her family live. I shall also be visiting North Devon where one brother and his family live. My other brother lives in France and is unmarried but will be in the UK as well for the week of mums birthday. I also have a bit of a tiki tour planned to visit various relatives and old friends. I might be able to borrow my sisters car for that, which will save money on not having to rent one.

And now back to the weighty issues! Isn’t it funny that my first instinct is to diet! Oolala, you said 100 pounds was a false god, and this really resonated with me. It doesn’t come out to a round figure in stones (which they use for weight in the uk) or kg (which is normally used in NZ) which makes it even more silly when one thinks about it. Last time they saw me I had a bmi of well over 30. (110kg at 5’7â€) and now I am 69kg. I lost the weight with a variety of unsustainable ways of eating that have seriously messed up my head and as Dalia pointed out, I came here to learn to eat normally whilst maintaining my weight loss.

So this is what I have to do. I have to learn to eat sensibly and moderately for the rest of my life. And I have now got 2 months to learn to do just that. Learn to maintain.

And Dalia, you have a point.....you said they will ask how I did it. And I can say a variety of ways but what is important is maintenance. And I maintain my weight loss by NOT EATING BETWEEN MEALS! Etc etc! Thank you for that, it’s so simple and so brilliant....just like no s!

No s is so easy compared with some of the appalling diets I have done. And it’s easy to fit in with other people too. “Thank you, that was lovely, but no seconds thank you, I’m full up. But tell me, how did you make that delicious sauce?†Etc etc. Being zero carb, as I have been, can seriously stuff up your social life (and actually put me off meat too, and started my feet on the path to veganism) but so can the lemon cleanse.....and don’t get me started on the bean diet! I became very socially unacceptable on that one :oops: :oops: :oops:

So thank you. This weekend will be busy as I will buy the tickets and arrange the insurance and all those sorts of things, and of course I need to plan when to fly so I can actually get to the airport (can’t leave a car there for a month!) and all those sorts of things, but those are fun. And the first weekend of June is a holiday weekend and there are always sales, and I am going to buy a new dress and some jeans that fit. Skinny jeans! :D
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 am

Remember that you can also say that you maintain by having sweets only on weekends and a couple of days a month. Then say something like, "Let's talk later about when we might be doing something special that I 'd like to take advantage at. In the meantime, I know I'm going to have plenty of scrumptious food to fancy." Would that be a good word in England? Or is there some slicker word these days.

And stick with your pronouncement , unless you want them trying to get you to eat what-all at every opportunity. Once they see you relent, you're fair game. If you say no several days in a row, they'll likely stop asking. Outlast them! l
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Fri May 11, 2018 4:48 am

Merry, I'm glad my advice has helped you :)

That's the attitude, I'm sure it will go great :wink:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 am

Skinny jeans! Yea!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 am

What a great adventure. They will be so pleased to see you!

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Sun May 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Well it’s been a fairly hectic weekend, and I’ve not been paying much attention to food. Now it’s Monday again and I need to settle down. Not that I’ve gone daft or anything but I certainly ate too many biscuits whilst searching websites etc.

BUT it’s all sorted. The ticket is bought, so is travel insurance and I fly 6th July, and come back 3rd August. It’s 4 actual flights, although one is a short hop to Auckland. It’s hard to work out how long it will take as I gain a day going west and lose it again coming east. It’s not just the flights either, but the waits at the airport. The most worrying flight is the internal one, because they are more likely to be delayed or canceled, and if I missed the international connection the whole thing would come down like a house of cards, so I am actually going a day earlier to Auckland, as I have a son living there, and I will spend the night with him, and he will take me to the airport the next morning for the international flight.

Now all that is sorted I have to try to come back to earth for the next 8 weeks! But there is still masses to do. Kiwi themed presents for the UK family, new clothes for me, A suitcase to sort out, but my eldest has one she took to America so I think I can borrow that etc etc. I also want to make a scrapbook of our life in NZ for my mum, where we all live, places I talk about when I phone etc etc. and with only a few weeks to go I shall have to get on with it!

Gosh! So exciting! Now, back to earth for the next few hours anyway. I have to do grocery shopping or we will be on an enforced diet of takeaway food!!!!

:D
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:43 am

Just keep some fresh and frozen freggies around so in a pinch you can supplement a half of plate of take away with half a plate of freggies. It's how I ate plenty of days in my first year.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Mon May 14, 2018 6:25 pm

That’s a seriously good idea oolala, thank you.
Merry

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 am

This is really super exciting!! A whole month! I love it!

I actually really like what ooolala suggested that you say and I also like being upfront about it and then just outlasting them until it sinks in. Easier said than done I know. I also think adding a few NWS days here and there will also be a good thing.

They will be so amazed when they see you.
-Nic

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 am

Yay—I’m so excited for you! It’s going to feel so good to get in this important family time. That is really the most important thing. I love that you’re making your mom a scrapbook. That’s really special. 💜

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue May 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Just a quick check in.

Yesterday was a fail, and it was stupid. I was busy and distracted and my husband made a cup of tea and put a couple of biscuits on a plate, and I went and sat down with him, and absentmindedly ate one! And he said, I thought it was no biscuits during the week? Oppps!

I am a totally distracted bunny at the moment. All I can think about is my big trip. It’s a good thing I DON’T have a job at the moment, I don’t think I would be very good at it right now :roll:
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Hmm, if he knew it was no-biscuits during the week, why did he put them on the plate? or were they for him? I guess couples get used to eating off each other's plates.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 am

Merrygoround wrote:Just a quick check in.

Yesterday was a fail, and it was stupid. I was busy and distracted and my husband made a cup of tea and put a couple of biscuits on a plate, and I went and sat down with him, and absentmindedly ate one! And he said, I thought it was no biscuits during the week? Oppps!

I am a totally distracted bunny at the moment. All I can think about is my big trip. It’s a good thing I DON’T have a job at the moment, I don’t think I would be very good at it right now :roll:
I can absolutely and totally understand how that could have happened- I can imagine doing it also, one hundred percent!

I can understand why you would call that a fail but I hate that word especially applied here- it was a thoughtless mistake rather than in intentional fail. An oversight!

Today is a new day and I bet you did great. :)
-Nic

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 am

Merrygoround wrote:Just a quick check in.

It's normal, Merry. You said it: you are absolutely focused on the trip and you did not notice ... they are just bad habits that will change little by little ... :wink:

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

oolala53 wrote:Hmm, if he knew it was no-biscuits during the week, why did he put them on the plate? or were they for him? I guess couples get used to eating off each other's plates.
It does sound like he set me up doesn’t it! :x poor chap!

The long story is I made the drinks and he put 2 biscuits on a plate for himself. He then went to the loo. I sat at the table and helped myself to one (we often share a plate....at our favourite cafe we have one piece of cake and 2 forks) he came back and was going to put out 2 more, another for me and another to replace his I had eaten, but asked about the no biscuits to clarify.

Yesterday was fine. I am not running at the moment. I strained my knee at aikido, and the grading is on the 26th May, so I need it to get better fast. I got my results for the mock grading and all was good except, apparently I look very nervous and like I don’t want to be there. You don’t say!

I also don’t finish properly. One is supposed to stand over ones victim and look fierce for a couple of seconds to finish the move (actually it’s because in real life they might be mad at being dumped on their behind and might well come at you again, so turning your back and wandering off is not a good move. Of course in real life I subscribe to the ‘I won the fight by 100 yards ‘ theory of fighting :D )

So I am practicing standing around in the kitchen looking fierce.....
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 am

Very understable.

I'm scared of your fierce face already.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 am

I got an email about an hour ago saying there was an update on your thread, but I don't see any. Did you somehow delete a comment? I didn't think it was possible except to delete the content in the "box."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 pm

oolala53 wrote:I got an email about an hour ago saying there was an update on your thread, but I don't see any. Did you somehow delete a comment? I didn't think it was possible except to delete the content in the "box."
Weird. No I didn’t delete a comment, I wasn’t even here after I posted the reply about looking fierce. The system obviously has a mind of its own!
Merry

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 am

that was probably me - I posted a comment which was supposed to be humorous, then deleted it in case it was taken the wrong way.

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am

Aaaaahahahaha! I laughed aloud at the mental picture of you standing around your kitchen looking fierce. That's awesome!!

Keep it up, girl!
-Nic

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm

ladybird30 wrote:that was probably me - I posted a comment which was supposed to be humorous, then deleted it in case it was taken the wrong way.
Ah ha! The mystery is solved!

Thank you for your consideration :D It can be very hard to make jokes on forums because one cannot see the twinkle in the eye!
Merry

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm

With the grading a week on Saturday (26th) I have gone down with a cold.... not at all happy but it would have been worse if it had been next Friday. Concentrating on getting well now.

seriously, I could do without this.
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Friend of mine in Madison had the same thing happen, moving into bronchitis. Seems to be dissipating now, but no fun. Speedy healing to you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 am

Ugh, hope you feel better soon!

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 pm

The cold didn’t get better, it turned into flu! It’s the start of the flu season here, so not really unexpected but I could have done without it. Again, not working has its advantages, I least I didn’t have to worry about that.

I got out of bed for the whole day on Thursday, Friday I took things easy and Saturday I dosed myself up and did the grading! It wasn’t my best, and I hadn’t had the practice I wanted going into it, but I did well enough to pass, so I don’t have to worry about doing that again for another year.

Food wise, it’s been a bit of a jumble. For 2 days I didn’t want to eat anything but soup, then it was beans on toast! Then Thursday, the first day I was up, I was really really hungry for savoury, salty things, so I just went with it. The really good thing about it, is it has got me off daily weighing! I haven’t weighed since last Friday. I have weighed daily for YEARS! I was dragging myself out of bed to the loo, and though I would weigh at the same time.....and then I thought, you know, I don’t have to do this! And didn’t! And went back to bed :D

I haven’t started running again yet. I might think about that for tomorrow, maybe just 3 or 4 km on the beach (flat) and see how I go. Right now my legs are still a bit like soggy noodles.

Now I am looking forward to next weekend. It’s a holiday weekend and there will be sales, and I am going out to buy a dress for the party and also a pair of skinny jeans that fit. I used to hate buying clothes in the over 200 pounds years, but now I’m around 150 it’s a different experience.

I will try and catch up with you all today, I hope you all had a happy green week while I wasn’t watching!
Merry

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear you have been so ill. I'd leave the running until you are fully fit, perhaps start with a walk?

Well done on your grading

Enjoy the shopping and I hope you return to full health soon

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 am

MGR, I'd forgotten that you have lost and kept off so much weight. You are beating the odds! I didn't do No S for weight loss specifically, but it is convenient to be smaller for clothes. More choices and an easier time finding flattering things.

Not to judge BUT there's a colleague at work who had weight loss surgery several years ago with great success. She is so happy about her loss and is thinner than I am. Yet she wears clothes that don't take advantage of her new body. Not feminine at all. It's just surprising to me because she is so glad to be thin. She does wear short sleeves and doesn't seem to have any saggy skin on the parts we can see. I guess it really was about health and possibly pride for her.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Sorry to hear you've been sick, Merry. Give yourself plenty of time to recover, particularly from the flu. You don't want to suffer a relapse!

Loved the advice you gave on another thread. Very sound!
-Nic

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Yes....I fell right off my pedestal though :lol:

Monday and Tuesday were both non compliant. Nothing much, just seconds of dinner on one day and four small meals on the other. That was not planned. I was going to Aikido so I eat early. Then changed my mind, didn’t go, and had another dinner with my husband!

Back on the wagon today though. I’m down a few pounds thanks to the flu, and whilst that was hardly planned, I would like to hang onto the loss if possible.

I tried running today. I did 4km. I walked the first km, then broke into something between a shuffle and a jog :lol: :roll: :lol: I kept that up most of the way, but met some dog walking friends on the beach and stopped for a chat (read...welcome rest....) halfway back. At least I am back out there though.

Oolala. The stats! I am 56.

My top weight was 110kg, 242 pounds. I am 5’ 7.5†BMI of about 37

I lost the weight over 2 years, after a traumatic event changed my world view. I did many diets, from paleo, low carb, zero carb (which put me off red meat and started my steps towards vegan) low fat, counting this, counting that, bean diet, soup diet etc etc. when I got ready to throw in the towel, I changed diets!

About a year ago I arrived at about 155lbs. My original goal was 142lbs as it would be the 100lbs lost. I am currently....152lbs as off this morning. Bmi of around 23.5 I think. 142lbs would be a bmi of about 21.

However I have been around 155 for a year. I have maintained by a mixture of going.....well I am no longer fat, I can eat that, and just eating more and more and poorer quality, then panicking because I have put weight on and leaping into a violent diet and losing it again. This is no way to live and is what brought me to no s. I found it via google when looking for a reasonable maintenance diet.

So, yes, I am here to learn to eat like a reasonable human being!

The fat years have left their mark. Mainly in loose skin. I tuck it in the tops of my jeans. I wear bike shorts under dresses. Not that I need to, my dresses are tents from the fat years, but it keeps it corralled! My arms thankfully are not as bad as they might be but I cannot wear sleeveless dresses.

Clothes. I have been ‘using up’ my fat clothes. I know I do not look my best. When I was at my largest I wore huge jeans and men’s shirts. Tent dresses in summer. I still dress that way, often in the same huge shirts. Part of the problem is I don’t know how to dress as a normal sized person.

Anyway, my (adult) son M. will be coming shopping with me at the weekend to buy clothes for the uk. Why is it that gay men have such a good eye for women’s clothes? He is brilliant at it. Much better than my husband who just wants to get it over with and go home!

And he is going to help me buy clothes for going away. My husband and I have set what seems to me a huge budget. I am getting a dress and cardigan or shrug (upper arms!) for the actual party. Plus shoes to go with it. Then some jeans that fit, some fitted shirts, some new bras, and something loose and comfortable for wearing for 2 days of plane travel. I’m too old for yoga pants, but jeans are not going to work for that length of time. We are also going to buy a pillow that goes around your neck for the plane.

So it is all very exciting. Now I just have to get back on the wagon and embrace moderation!
Merry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 30, 2018 5:48 am

How exciting that you’re going shopping! I think it’ll make a world of difference having some cute clothes that fit you properly. Please toss those old clothes out! You deserve to feel good in your clothes. I actually went to H&M today and got a bunch of cute stuff for a good price. It’s amazing not to feel self-loathing after shopping any longer.

Anyway glad you’re feeling better. Don’t worry about the couple of off days. Mark it and move on!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Take his advice! Going shopping with a female friend with some style years ago made a big difference for me. I believe I'm pretty good at picking things that flatter, at least according to the media view. It makes it easier to shop, too. I shop a lot at thrift stores and it makes it so much faster just to go right past most of it.

Actually, at this point in my life, it makes me a little nervous to shop in regular clothing stores now. So much to choose from!

When you get flattering clothes in colors that work well together, you'll wear the clothes for a long time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:50 am

Enjoy that shopping trip! My mother-in-law has been ill for the last year and has lost a lot of weight. My daughter and I took her shopping this week for new clothes and we had a great time. We started with the bra - a proper fitting in a good department store - because if the bra isn't right, nothing will look right.
She looked amazing by the end of it - the new clothes took years off her and she felt so much better about herself. So enjoy it - you have done brilliantly to lose all that weight and you deserve to look good. :)

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Well that WAS an eye opener.

The story, in the long version. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin!

My son, (and now my personal dresser,) M, came round during the week to look through my wardrobe. I have never been a clothes girl, and my wardrobe if full of fat clothes I am ‘using up’. I mostly wear jeans (now with a belt) and men’s plaid shirts, and tent dresses in the summer. He tried to throw everything out and I tried to hang onto it. We compromised. I said I needed some old clothes for gardening and cleaning etc, and he said I could have one set for outdoors, and I could wear an apron or tabard inside the house.

We discussed style and I said I liked jeans and shirts, which he said was fine, but not baggy, saggy men’s shirts. Anyway, the big day came and I met him in town. Thanks to advice here our first stop was a bra shop, and I got properly measured and got 3 bras that fit. I am still quite board in the back, I have wide shoulders, but am small in the cup. Rather to my surprise I am a b cup.
Then the big shop began. At first it was rather worrying but after a bit I got in the swing of it. We went to a jeans shop and got several pairs of jeans that fit. They were 2 for the price of 1 in the sale so I got 4 pairs. One skinny fit and 3 slightly looser, but that fit fits. Would you believe I am an NZ size 11 in jeans. And this is not in a fat clothes shop, but a normal jeans shop. This is between a US 6 and 8! Mostly I went for an NZ size 12 in clothes (US size 8, ) but went for a 14 (US 10) in some shirts because of my wide back.

I am still rather stunned about the sizing, but there we go. It is what it is. The Jean shop was so funny, we kept trying things on and going down a size! I got a shirt there as well, and actually wore one pair of jeans and the shirt out of the shop. After this I began enjoying myself. I got a lovely dress for the party. 1950 style with a fitted waist, short shelves to hide the upper arms, and a wide flare below the waist so it skims over my bike shorts and hides the lump of the loose skin. Actually I also got a foundation garment for under the dress that holds the loose skin and smooths over things. I got a plain blue cardigan to go over it that I can also wear with my jeans.

Then we got some more shirts, a waistcoat, a pullover and some shoes for the dress, a pair of ‘travel pants’ with pockets in a black stretchy meaterial for the plane. They are very comfy. and .....some non soggy knickers!

What a day. We totally blew the budget! Then we went home and paraded the new clothes for my husband. He was blown away, I look like a totally different person. Now the trouble is.....I could get used to this! I might turn into a clothing person. They are not going to recognise me in the UK!

The next day I got up and was troubled about what to wear! New clothes or what I have hung onto of my old ones? This is going to take some getting used to. I rationalised it by thinking....these are just jeans and shirts. I can wear this and it’s not fancy.

Well, I had better get on with the day now, this post is quite long enough. I shall catch up with how you are all doing later today.
Merry

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Well, I have talked a lot about what is going on, but very little about no s.

No s. Pros, 1. simplicity. After some of my previous diets this is huge. 2. Fits in with a normal life. Again after some of my weird and wacky diets it is so nice to make and eat one meal with the family. 3. Flexibility. If family are coming to feast on Thursday, then that is an s day, or if your work schedule insists your weekends are Monday and Tuesday, go for it. 4. Really is a diet for life, again unlike some of the diets, or ‘way of eating’ I have been on in the past. 5. Can be done anywhere (except possibly on ultra long haul flights. But even then just call traveling time s days and do your best. I will come back to this later)

Cons. These are personal, you will find different ones. 1. Temptation to eat the entire house contents for Saturday morning breakfast just because you can! 2. Small godchildren who have baked a wonderful sticky iced muffin just for you.....but it’s wednesday......3. I seem to have stopped eating fruit.

I actually find the rhythm very simple after a few early teething problems. It’s much simpler than a lot of things I have done. My main snag is seeing it as a diet and getting bored, or finding the ‘next great thing’. I tell myself this is just how I’m eating at the moment. No diet here, nothing to see, move along please......

What I have done with the snags.
Godchildren baking. Inspect muffin from all angles, discuss making of same, admire with enthusiasm. Say that you are truely grateful but you cannot eat it at the moment. Depending on age of child this may open you to an avalanche of ‘why’ but stick to your guns. Divert if necessary. We found a box to put it (and a few friends) in and arranged a special phone call, just for her, not for mummy, at the weekend after it was eaten. All went well!

Ultra long haul flight. My trip will be 4 flights in each direction. 8 in total for the trip. 12 time zones meaning I lose a day in one direction and gain one in the other. I have decided to call the time from my foot steps into the airport until I leave it at the far end an s day. It will be about 50 hours total travelling with about 28 actual flying time. I will eat when they bring food around and not in between.....with the exception of taking a few granola bars in case of not getting food on the plane, one never knows. In the airports I shall see how it goes. If they have just fed me on a plane, then well and good. But one stop is almost 9 hours and another is 6 so there will be some eating in airports too. But being stuffed on a plane is uncomfortable (and one is uncomfortable enough anyway!) so moderation will be the name of the game.

Eating everything in sight on Saturday morning. I hear from the long term members this goes away. I shall wait and hope.

Fruit. We all know the more fruit and veg one eats the healthier one is. In fact that is about the only thing most people agree on (except the zero carbers, but they are a bit out there....I was one once!). I used to snack on fruit (and other things... :oops: ) but now I just don’t eat it. Any ideas?

Onwards! PS.....I am wearing my new jeans, a new shirt and a new pullover at home in the house. It’s great! I could get used to this!
Merry

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am

Merry, I loved this post. All of it!
You handled the muffin thing absolutely perfectly.

I have no advice for you regarding fruit as I am not a big fruit eater anyway.
-Nic

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 am

I eat fruit for pleasure, not because it is supposed to be healthy.

The average supermarket fruit is often not worth eating. It is often old, picked under ripe and the varieties are boring. Find a good fruiterer who stocks fruit that smells good in the hand. Or find some home grown if that is possible.

The other way of increasing fruit appreciation is to eat less other sweet stuff and watch one's taste buds adjust.

I can think of few greater taste pleasures than really ripe fresh picked apricots, apples, raspberries to name a few.

No S is not just about moderation, it is about increasing pleasure in the context of moderation.

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 am

I love fruit. In my garden at various times of year are....fejoas, grapes, raspberries, strawberries, loganberries, blueberries , apples, nectarines, cranberries, black currant, red currant and cape gooseberries. Also almonds, but not a fruit! And I have eaten them all as snacks.....or made them into jam!

How does one fit fruit into no s? No pudding during the week. No snacks. Where does the fruit fit in?
Merry

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:36 am

Ah, I apologise, I misunderstood your problem. Your fruit garden sounds wonderful.

I don't consider fresh fruit an S, so it just fits in as a normal part of my meal. But it does mean if I want to fit in fruit, I have to eat less of something else.

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 am

ladybird30 wrote:Ah, I apologise, I misunderstood your problem. Your fruit garden sounds wonderful.

I don't consider fresh fruit an S, so it just fits in as a normal part of my meal. But it does mean if I want to fit in fruit, I have to eat less of something else.
That’s ok ladybird :D

So.....you just have fruit as part of your one plate during the week?
Merry

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 am

Sometimes it goes on the plate, sometimes if I want to eat the fruit separately, or my main meal is soupy, I will put it on a separate plate or on the plate holding the soup bowl. I generally adjust the portion size of the rest of the meal to accommodate the fruit. I don't eat fruit at every meal. Fruit still gets dished out at the beginning of the meal with everything else.

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 am

Merry, my particular mod is to eat fruit after eating and having dinner as a dessert, apart from my dish.

I decided that because the fruit is healthy and I want to eat it daily and I still do not feel able to include it in my plate and eat less of other things.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 am

Your clothes-buying adventure sounds so fun. I bet your son had a blast.

I have been culling my wardrobe for awhile. I've also been trying to wear what I keep more often, so I have gone to some events much more dressed up than I normally would. I do keep some pants I wouldn't wear out for home cleaning or gardening but the tops I kept for such things are still cut nicely. No droopy T-shirts. I do use those as summer nighties. So even if someone comes over during the day, even in my "cleaning clothes," I don't look as ratty as I used to. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't need to anymore, because I have so many decent clothes left over even after purging! Why save the worst ones for around the house? Keep some nicer stuff for that since there's more out in the storage area. (The summery stuff. I'll crack into that after the solstice.)

So, wear your nice jeans and shirts at home. You can look like a woman in a sitcom. :wink: Actually, you will probably still look rather underdressed. Those sticoms have pretty high standards. Have you noticed?

The fruit fits in the bowl with my breakfast cereal (usually a hot one), or with anything I have for breakfast, either right in with it or on the side. It is often on the plate for lunch and/or dinner. I don't necessarily keep it on the plate, but I put it on there, either whole or in a little bowl or cup, if not, before I start so that it's still one plate. I put salad on there, too, usually right on the plate, but it could be in its own bowl.

In cherry season- just started- I have them at just about every meal. Enjoying some in between typing.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Thank you everyone re the fruit. I had frozen grapes yesterday (our own grapes frozen when we had a glut) with my lunch. I put them in a little bowl whilst I ate my lunch, and by the time I had got to them they were slightly unfrozen, cold a treat like but actually eatable. Yum!

Oolala! No more droopy t shirts! That will be my mantra for now on. I am trying so hard to wear my new clothes but it still feels like ‘dressing up’! I will get there. Habit! Soon it will be habit to dress nicely. I do have to say though, people are noticing and that is nice.
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 am

I love partially thawed grapes! They should serve them in restaurants in a small bowl fitted into a bigger bowl with ice. Can I make that my intellectual property?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:21 am

Oh I love your shopping story! You are tiny and didn’t even realize it. Isn’t it wonderful to be shopping in the “normal†section? Wear those clothes. It will make a huge difference in how you carry yourself and how you feel.

Now can I steal your son for my next shopping trip? ☺ï¸

Linda

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 am

I’m still here, and doing great. This is a wonderful diet for maintenance. I could do this easily for the rest of my life I think.

However, with only 3 weeks until I fly things are getting a little busy here, so I am ending my daily journal for now.

I will still be around though, and will be popping in to see how you are all doing, but I won’t be updating thread for now. Unless of course I have anything wonderful to report! :D
Merry

niccofive

Post by niccofive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 pm

You'll be missed! Pop in now and again!
-Nic

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 am

It's kind of the way it's supposed to be, MGR. Fly off in your new freedom!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:30 pm

oolala53 wrote:It's kind of the way it's supposed to be, MGR. Fly off in your new freedom!
I know, but I feel like I should be here to support other people too. The thing is I didn’t lose my weight this way, but this is the most wonder, amazing way of eating for maintenance. I lost a couple of pounds right at the beginning, and have stayed there (weighing in on Fridays now) since. After years of dieting this way of eating is a wonderful freedom. I still feel there are good foods and bad foods, but I eat more with a view to overal health rather than weight loss per se. I WANT to be healthy and feel good. And increasingly that is reflected in my diet choices.

And to have such a simple plan on my travels is great too. Not long now!
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm a little more dependent on still posting here, but I know it helped me on other sites before No S that stalwarts checked in. So, you're right about wanting to support others.

There is so much about how hard weight loss is to maintain. To me, that a mark of it having come from unsustainable habits and possibly for unworthy motivations or trying to maintain too low a weight. (I concede that the formerly very obese will have to work very hard to fight the body's urge to get that fat back.) It doesn't mean it can be completely carefree. We live in a land where there are 4000 calories available for every citizen. Gonna take SOME judgment. Worth it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23