Found this Book at the Library

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

HappyDance

Found this Book at the Library

Post by HappyDance » Mon May 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi,
I was at the library here in Florida this past Saturday and I came across this book, The No S Diet. Did the angels sing and light shine down from heaven? No, but the cover intrigued me and I thought - this sounds doable.
I have been stuck with 10 pounds of baby weight that I can't shake, but after reading the book, I know why. I eat sweets on N-days and I eat snacks (even a banana every day at 10am). I do work out at the gym twice a week, but I the first to congratulate myself with something sugary and I'm also the one to see the scale go down and then reward myself.
This book was a wake-up call. Today is my first N day. I really celebrated Sunday after reading the book - hah!
Another thing I like is that I can use this to set parameters for my two kids who via school, friends, and myself - have developed a love of snacks and sweets. If I set healthy boundaries now for them, they can grow up with some self-control.
Wish me luck on my journey! I am feeling positive! :-)

My favorite Bible verse - Ephesians 3:14-21

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon May 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Good luck :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Good luck, Happy - hope all goes well.
Before No S, I had developed habits of having sweets and snacks every day. Now, I go for the entire week without them. I still have them on S days (too much really) but have lost weight regardless. It’s a long and interesting journey, not a quick fix, but I think No S can really change your brain wiring!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 07, 2018 7:45 pm

As a trained librarian your discovery of No S in a public library makes me especially happy!

Welcome!

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 am

Octavia wrote:Good luck, Happy - hope all goes well.
Before No S, I had developed habits of having sweets and snacks every day. Now, I go for the entire week without them. I still have them on S days (too much really) but have lost weight regardless. It’s a long and interesting journey, not a quick fix, but I think No S can really change your brain wiring!
I would not define it better :)

Good luck, I hope you stay with us!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 am

Welcome and good luck HappyDance
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 am

Hello and welcome :D
Merry

HappyDance

Thanks!

Post by HappyDance » Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Thank you for the well wishes!
The first week has gone by quite well. :-)
I think I just needed something to hold on to and guide me. A set of parameters that I can move around in without crossing the line.
I have been imagining my sweet for my first S day tomorrow :D

Take care!