Alene's No-S Adventure

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alene1

Alene's No-S Adventure

Post by alene1 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I've read about No-S several times through the years but after considering it I would always decide that I like snacks and sweets too much to commit! But as I have gotten older and tried it all, I want to give this a real try. I want more peace and freedom with food. If I can find a way to get to a healthy weight without counting calories and thinking about food all the time, I will be very happy. I also struggle with binge eating. Normalizing my relationship and behavior with food is a huge part of wanting to do this.

My biggest concern is eating enough food at lunch to fill me up till dinner. My lunch break is at noon and then I have class until 7:20. I know I'll experience some hunger, but I also know I won't die if I get hungry! :lol: Learning to accept that it's normal and okay to get hungry between meals is also going to be a challenge. But I love the feeling of eating a meal when you're good and hungry, and everything tastes delicious!

So, here we go!

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Good luck alene1 !! You will see how you love No S! :)

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Hey Alene :D

I hope it all goes well for you, I just started last week so I am quite new to actually doing No S but like you I have known of it for a while

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Dalia and Tombo, thank you for coming by to cheer me on. :D

My first day went really well. I had some hunger between lunch and dinner but it was very doable. Before bed the same but again, it wasn't bad at all. Knowing that snacking wasn't an option was actually really freeing. I just did my thing and went to bed and really didn't struggle.

I used to do some intermittent fasting, and I remember that after realizing that hunger comes in waves and then passes, I knew this was doable. Yesterday confirmed that the fear of hunger is actually worse than feeling a little hunger! The saying, "hunger is not an emergency," has been really helpful as well. It's normal to feel hunger between meals. What's not normal is feeling the need to eat at every little twinge. Years of doing IE on and off kind of messed up my thinking on that front, but this common sense approach makes way more sense, and is in alignment with the way people have traditionally eaten for centuries.

On to day 2. It was fun last night thinking about what I would have for dinner. Thinking that I could have rice or other grain, or a potato, or anything that wasn't sweet, was a little strange! But strange in a great way. It's fun to have this freedom with some fences around it. I need the structure. I think this will be just the right amount of structure for me. Feeling good!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu May 10, 2018 4:23 pm

You seem to have grasped the concepts well. It is very freeing.

Good luck :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

alene1

Post by alene1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Well .... it's embarrassing that I only lasted 1 day the last time I officially tried this! But, I'm back and ready to give it another go, and do it with some determination and the long view of things. Letting go of perfection and just doing the best I can each day.

I've been doing some intermittent fasting, and eating from noon to 8, so I think to start with I'm going to do two meals, and I will see how that goes. I like the feeling of just having my coffee with cream and waiting until lunch to eat.

I really enjoyed reading some of the other check-in threads last night. I know that I need to be patient and focus on the small changes as I go along. It's going to be a journey!

alene1

Post by alene1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Day 1 is in the books, and it went well. I had very little hunger in the morning. I was looking very forward to lunch, and I went to Panera. Need to go shopping soon!

AM: coffee w/cream
L- cup of broccoli cheddar soup, bread and butter, 1/2 turkey avocado sandwich, coffee w/cream
D- scrambled eggs with peppers and a little cheese, 3 slices of bacon, and about 1/3 of a pear

Thoughts on my meals today: I was overly full at lunch. Next time I will have a salad with protein as a side. It just felt like too much bread to me, and I would have enjoyed the salad more. The bread and butter was delicious! So fun to eat it with no guilt and much pleasure. :)

Dinner was pretty enjoyable, but not what I would have had if I'd been to the store. It was strange thinking about not eating anything else the rest of the night. I definitely am in the habit of having some kind of little sweet something before bed. I felt a little anxious about it. It's scary letting go of things that you really enjoy and look forward to. I went up to bed early and read.

Overall I'm happy with the day. I need to get to the store today and get a few things, and get to a bigger shop by tomorrow. I'm out of cream, and coffee without cream ain't gonna happen! :)

Exercise: I did a 10 minute cardio session with Jessica Smith (dvd)

On to day 2. It was fun making my first day green on the Habitcal.

Weight: 182

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Congratulations on your first green day :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:53 pm

you sound like you are in a very good place!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Not embarrassing at all and delighted to follow your thread in the future
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi! I'm also a fan of Jessica Smith's videos. They are easy to follow but make you break a sweat, don' they?

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Soprano, Eschano, Automatedeating, thanks so much for stopping by to visit and encourage me! I appreciate it.

Imogen, Jessica's videos are perfect for me, and I love the 30 minute length. Do you do any Leslie Sansone or other instructors?

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Day 2 went overall well, but I was still feeling fairly hungry after my plate of food at dinner and I had a second helping, which made me overly full. Red day officially, but I'm happy I stuck with the no sweets or snacks!

My co-worker offered me some chocolate she brought me from Costa Rica, and I think she expected me to give it a try on the spot. I told her I'm saving my sweets for the weekend and tucked it in my purse. I guess I just have to get used to people being a bit disappointed if I'm not eating sweets during the week at work. There's a lot of pressure to indulge and be part of the group. Thankfully the staff lounge is far from our corner of the school and we usually eat in our classroom. My other co-worker has started fasting till lunch with me, so that is a big help!!

Last night I had some wine while I watched the election returns, and I'm quite sure that's why I had the second serving. My inhibitions are down, and I care less and think less clearly about what I'm eating and honoring my commitments. Thankfully I almost never drink while I'm at home anymore, but in social occasions I am really going to need to be on guard! I also had thoughts of going to the store to get treats. I did some mental battling but thankfully I was able to get myself to bed before acting on my thoughts. My weight is down a bit this morning, which was a nice reward. I think I'll plan on weighing on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings each week, at least for now.

On to day 3!

AM: Coffee w/cream
Lunch: Chili, 6 Ritz crackers, small pear, one beet strip, coffee w/cream
Dinner: Hamburger slumgullion w/cauliflower rice (2 servings), crispbread w/PB and drizzle of honey, 2 glasses of sparkling wine

Exercise: JS dvd - 20M - cardio/weights

Weight: 181.4

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm

alene1 wrote: I told her I'm saving my sweets for the weekend and tucked it in my purse. I guess I just have to get used to people being a bit disappointed if I'm not eating sweets during the week at work.
This is going to sound so stuck-up of me, but I have come to totally enjoy telling people that. They always look sort of confused - like - you don't have sweets every day? Or whenever they're around? Or just because it's been a stressful day and now here it is? I feel a mysterious pride. And I think it's an excellent example for kids, to realize that treats are for special occasions, not something that's part of a normal (get it, normal, haha N!) day.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Alene, I adore Leslie Sasone and her workouts. 2-mile walk every day for about 2 years made me the slimmest I'd ever been. Sadly, I no longer work out on a regular basis, but whenever I do, I always choose Leslie's videos. They are so easy to follow, and I love the fact that she exercises with people of different shapes, sizes, and ages.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:52 am

Sounds like you are dealing well with the social pressure to eat sweets.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm

automatedeating wrote:
alene1 wrote: I told her I'm saving my sweets for the weekend and tucked it in my purse. I guess I just have to get used to people being a bit disappointed if I'm not eating sweets during the week at work.
This is going to sound so stuck-up of me, but I have come to totally enjoy telling people that. They always look sort of confused - like - you don't have sweets every day? Or whenever they're around? Or just because it's been a stressful day and now here it is? I feel a mysterious pride. And I think it's an excellent example for kids, to realize that treats are for special occasions, not something that's part of a normal (get it, normal, haha N!) day.
I love this!! You know, you are so right! It's kind of beyond people's comprehension to think of just dealing with life on life's terms without using food to soothe, distract, and numb out. It's going to take me some time to learn to do this too, but I know it's possible. Not only possible, but so much better to deal with and process life and stress instead of numbing out and going for the sugar when life gets hard

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Imogen, I did mostly Leslie for a long time, and I agree that I love that she incorporates walkers of all shapes and sizes. Once I found Jessica I started to do mostly her workouts. But I have a huge collection of workouts from a variety of instructors I've collected over the years. It's never too late to get back to regular workouts! :)

Ladybird, I'm sure there are going to be challenging times to deal with. I made it through the first one successfully, and hopefully it will only get easier with time. Thanks for stopping by!

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm drinking a big mug of yummy coffee this morning, and it's hitting the spot. My daughter gave me a mug one Christmas that is jumbo-sized, and says, "Mama needs her coffee." So cute. :)

Yesterday was a difficult day, but I've worked through it and feel better. All was going smoothly and then we had our happy hour mocktails event at school. I was just not going to go, but I don't know that many people at my new school yet, and it seemed rather anti-social not to go. I was also feeling out of sorts emotionally about some conversations with my co-worker. I ended up going up there and having some snacks. I didn't really enjoy them at all, and it didn't help anything about the way I was feeling.

After I went home I was feeling even more out of sorts and sad that I'd made that choice at school. There's a thing called, "eating cuz you ate," when you fall off the "wagon." That's exactly what I did. I've thought about this a lot, and it is a very real thing. Then I thought about what my wagon should be. What would work for me. With IE, you don't really have a wagon, so it's harder to fall off of, but there are no real boundaries, which I didn't do well with. So I was thinking that I need to create a "wagon" that fits my life and personality, because I want to create a way of eating and living that is forever. No more dieting.

In light of yesterday, I'm going to allow myself occasional "S" events. If I had done that yesterday, I would have gone up and had a small plate with some crackers and cheese, visited, and it would have been all good. I would have been able to socialize with the staff and feel a part of things, yet not feel I had fallen off any wagon. No wagon-falling and no eating cuz you ate. :) I felt really sad last night about the afternoon and the way it played out. I am really loving creating memorable and delicious meals and savoring them, and it didn't play out that way yesterday.

So, in wrapping up, I learned a lot yesterday, and this is all part of the journey. It's going to take some time to get in a real groove that will work for the rest of my life. There's a saying that goes something like, "perfection is the enemy of progress." So true in my case. I can't try and live life in the black and white, because life is often in the gray.

But!!! I have some good news to share. After I ate last night, I realized how much better I have been feeling with IF and No-S, and I wanted that feeling back. I closed my eating window at 5:30 and that was that. I thought about going out for more snack food, about having some wine, but I didn't do either. I got up to bed early and that was the end of it. This morning my belly felt flatter, and I was tempted to weigh, but I thought about what I'd eaten last night and decided I didn't want to depress myself. Before drinking my coffee I thought, what the heck, I'll just see where I am. I was down 1.6 lbs, and back into the 170's!!! Woo hoo! I was happy as a clam. :) What a nice shot in the arm to start my day.

Well, I better get going on my day. I'll come and visit check-ins tonight!

L: Hamburger slumgullion w/cauli-rice, crackers and hummus, small pear, coffee w/cream
S: crackers, salami, cookie
D: 3 meatballs, rice w/butter
S: ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream

Exercise: JS HIIT walk (15M)

Weight: 179.8

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes much better to call an s day in those circumstances and enjoy.

Well done you handled it well and congrats on the loss.

Jx

alene1

Post by alene1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks Soprano. This is a learning journey for sure!!

alene1

Post by alene1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I had a much more settled day yesterday. I continue to think about what is going to work best for me, and what my sweet spot is going to be for my eating routine. I may add an optional mini meal after dinner and before bed. I'd prefer to just do the two meals, but I also want to honor my body's signals and I don't like being hungry at bedtime. I can handle hunger in the morning and afternoon, but before bed I don't like it, and makes me feel diety, which is what I'm trying to get away from. I'm also considering a piece of dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate at the end of my dinner meal, a nice way to end my eating day. I'm not a big dark chocolate fan, and these kinds of foods aren't attached to strong emotions for me like real treats, such as pastries, cakes, etc., and have never been binge foods for me. Those are the foods I really need to pay attention to. I want to keep in mind that my top motivations for doing this are peace and enjoyment with food and my body, and enjoying life. I don't want to feel guilty for doing what feels right for me. I just need to do me, and not worry about what others are doing or thinking. That's always been a struggle for me.

I had a big salad for lunch yesterday, and I was way too full! Ugh. I have some fear around getting too hungry between meals. So I'm going to be working on finding that right amount of food to fill me up well, but not leave me feeling stuffed. I'm having another salad for lunch today, so I can practice again! :)

L: Big salad with cheese cubes, egg, chicken, red onion, Italian dressing, pear, coffee w/cream
D: Chicken fried rice, crispbread w/PB and drizzle of honey
MiniMeal: Parmesan puffs and 2 squares of dark chocolate

I think a big key for me is thinking of each time I eat as an "eating event." Put on a plate, savored and enjoyed, and at distinct times.

I won't be posting over the weekend probably. Weekends are spent with my sweetie, and I'm not on the computer much. I'll give a weekend update Sunday night or Monday AM. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Exercise: Ramp It Up (25M)

Weight: 179.6

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm

It's all about learning what works for you. It takes time getting the amount on the plate right and your needs will change day to day.

Learning to sit with some hunger is good however getting so ravenous you want to eat the fridge isn't. I added a mod to my rules another nos being no starving. Somif unexpectedly I had gone longer than expected between meals and I was really genuinely too hungry I would add a snack? I've only used it a handful of times since March but it took the pressure off.

Jx

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:57 am

I really love how you’re thinking about all this and that you’re trying to get away from the diet mindset. Definitely do what works for you. Nos is just a guideline which should be tweaked to fit your life and preferences.

Think it’s great you take a break from technology on the weekends. Hope you had some nice s days!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

alene1

Post by alene1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Soprano, I like your mod. I'm in complete agreement with it, and will do the same if needed. But as you said, so much of it is about taking the pressure off, and giving that permission so you don't feel boxed in by rules that sometimes just don't fit.

Linda, it's hard sometimes to let of of the "rules." But the older I get, and the more I know my body, the easier it is to do what is best for me. It was a really nice weekend!

alene1

Post by alene1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Happy Monday morning! I'm feeling really good today about my weekend. I didn't go crazy at all, and I really enjoyed some of the treats that I did have.

Saturday

B- pastry
L- RX bar, beef jerky, apple
D- steak, roll, salad, baked potato

Exercise: hour long walk plus work at the property

Sunday

B- apple fritter
L- RX bar, carrots w/almond butter, mixed nuts, beef jerky
D- 1 1/2 chicken strips w/bbq sauce
S- popcorn w/butter (2/3 of bag), 1/3 of a mini Hagen Daaz

Exercise: 45M walk plus work at the property

The weekend was an interesting experience. I decided that weekends I will relax my IF and go with the flow on my eating window. Some weekends I'll end up having breakfast, and that's totally fine and part of the joy of the S day, to just relax and enjoy what comes. P and I go to coffee every weekend morning, and this coffee roaster has really yum pastries. He suggested we get one, and I went with it! We sat and savored it with our coffee, and it was really enjoyable. We were out working at our property both days, so my lunches were a mix of things that the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs to make me feel good and satiated. My blood sugar and hunger gets wonky if I eat too many carbs without enough protein and fat. We went out to dinner Saturday night with my mom and sis, and had a great meal out. I was super full though, and I ate less of my meal than I normally do. I am really not enjoying the feeling of being overfull. It's going to take me time to figure out how much to eat to get that just right feeling of fullness that will be enough to carry me to my next meal.

Sunday we went out to a farm that sells fresh cider and donuts. We got an apple fritter, which is their specialty. They were still warm, and soft and delicious! We sat and savored that with our coffee, and that kept me going quite a while. When I got home Sunday night I had a bit of the "better get it in while I can," feeling. I was stopping at the store on the way home, so I thought about what I really wanted. For some reason I was craving chicken breast strips. I was also wanting some popcorn to have while I watched the football game I taped. I got a mini Hagen Daaz to have after. Doing No-S has really changed me in just the little bit of time I've been doing it. I wanted to sit down at the table and have my chicken strips, and make it a real meal. I had 1 1/2 of them, and then made my popcorn and started watching. I didn't end up having it all. I got out my ice cream and had some of it, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped (new flavor.) I had a few more bites of chicken, and called it good for the night.

This experience so far has been so interesting to me. The combination of IF and No-S is feeling really magical to me. Eating less often is definitely decreasing my appetite, and making each meal special and not snacking is giving me a whole new feeling about food. My appetite is decreasing, and I am getting much pickier about what I want to eat. Honestly, I'm not sure quite how to put it into words, but something really wonderful is happening to me! Giving myself full permission to eat what I want for my meals (except sweets,) going longer and understanding and experiencing that a little hunger is not an emergency, and really listening to my body and seeing what it wants, and how much, is taking away that desire to binge and eat in a numbed out state. It is so wonderful to sit down to a nice meal, after thinking about what sounds really good and is a good balance that will nourish my body. I'm so happy!! I feel like I'm healing, body and soul. It makes me teary-eyed.

I'm off today, so I'm going to get things done at home, get in a good workout, and go get stocked up on groceries. I'm going to have dinner with my daughter tonight. I just love that I can look forward to our meal, and not being worried about counting calories or having to eat low carb. Life is good!

Last thing. I was curious what was going to happen with my weight this morning. The chicken and popcorn last night was pretty salty, so I figured the scale might be up a little. It was only up .4 from Friday, so I'd call that a win!

Weight: 180.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Back to work today! I didn't get much done yesterday. I had big plans to get caught up on my school work, but I am really lacking motivation in that area. I've been spending too much time on screens, and enjoying that connection to others on this journey. But I need to focus on life and getting my stuff done!! This is my last quarter of school and I need to just do it!! In that vein, goal for today is to go to the library after dinner and work on my assignments.

Goal: Library PM (success or failure)

Monday

Lunch: Perfect bar, macaroni and cheese
Dinner: Beef and broccoli w/rice
Snack: Perfect bar, pretzels

Exercise: 1 hour walk

I went out shopping in the morning, and I got really hungry! I ended up buying mac and cheese at Trader Joe's, as well as these protein bars that are really good. I was so hungry when I got home that I just scarfed down the bar and had the mac and cheese. I was really full all afternoon, and I didn't like it. I took an hour long walk in the late afternoon to be sure that I was hungry for my dinner with my daughter. I was, thankfully! I was hungry in the later evening and I just didn't have what it took to wait till morning. Every day I'm learning new things.

I'm going to experiment with having my coffee without cream. Many people say that only black coffee is the best way to fast, and that hunger is much less. Also that we are allowing our bodies to heal and not have that insulin response mid-way through the fast. So I'm going to try that for at least the weekdays this week. I have a Nespresso machine, which makes a nice creamy cup of coffee. It was quite good this morning! I think it's more of a mind thing. :) I'll look forward to my coffee with cream this afternoon.

Weight: 180.6