Judy's Journal

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Judy's Journal

Post by mondurvic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 am

First day on plan, weighing in at 250 on the nose. Had to move the weight on the scale one notch to the right.

Made a point of eating every five hours today.

Meal 1 - 3 pieces of toast with cheese and tomatoes

Meal 2 - Chinese BBQ pork and fried rice

Meal 3 - honey-garlic chicken wings, mashed potatoes, small piece of turkey loaf, tiny piece of smoked tofu.

One thing that interested me was that about 45 minutes before each meal, I had no appetite whatsoever and thought, "I''ll never be able to eat now, or certainly I won't enjoy it." But when the 5-hour mark came, I was ravenous, and fully enjoyed every bite I ate.

A few small twinges of sugar cravings during the day, since I've been eating so much of them the past few weeks and have re-developed the habit, but I knew I'd soon be getting a full, pleasurable meal, and that kept me from indulging.

Felt some anxiety before, during and after that last meal, because once it was over, my day's eating would be DONE. On the other hand, a short while after eating, complete fullness had set in, so I no longer was concerned. And soon I'll be in bed, so one good day down!

1/0
Last edited by mondurvic on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:37 am

Meal One - 3 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of buttered toast

Meal Two - BBQ pork, mashed potatoes, carrots in marsala sauce

Meal Three - mashed potatoes with butter, cream, cheese, bacon, onions and apple slices

Cardiac city. But heck, it's usually worse, and lots more of it, topped off with scads of sweets. So despite the cholesterol carnival, today must be counted a success.

2/0

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:44 am

Meal One - mashed potatoes with butter, cream, cheese, bacon and onions; BBQ pork; carrots in Marsala sauce

Meal Two - one slice of toast with cheese and tomatoes

(Probably ate so little at Meal Two because I was still reeling from the saturated fat in Meal One.)

Meal Three - chicken breast, mashed potatoes mixed with mashed carrots and turnips, rice

It was a lovely day of food, with delight in every bite.

3/0

NO WAIT - STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

In planning for my weekend indulgences to come, I got swept away with the desire for ice cream and ran out of the house to get some before the store closed. Bought three liters, but only ended up eating 1 1/4 and tossed the rest - being sure to melt it first, so that I couldn't retrieve it.

Make that 2/1.

Frankly, without this new system, I would have concluded, "Oh, well, I just can't do this", and would be shopping around for the next diet. But having one bad day and two good ones so far - that's a big improvement, and very liveable. Look how much progress Deb has made being only 75% or so compliant.

Reading about others is SUCH a big help.
Last edited by mondurvic on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:55 am

congrats Judy, the first week is the hardest... stick with it!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:37 am

Disaster to the max. The only good thing about today is that I'm still checking in, and haven't thrown in the towel.

No point in describing everything I ate. Suffice it to say it included three litres of ice cream.

2/2, but hangin' in . . .