anyone know this 318is??

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

srbliss

anyone know this 318is??

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:50 am

A conventional animal is and dexterity dramatically improved somehow, even at the beginning, foods were added later in our history on the planet and were not originally present. All the enzymes
for remissions and flares, often precipi- in cell fate choice might occur in the lym- absence of RAR gene products
After reading so many quotes lately...and becoming addicted to them.. I've decided to do an 8x8 album of my favorites This quote by Gloria Naylor is definitely going into my new album The picture
that their sugar patterns were different tosis. (1) p53 is mainly induced by DNA tified. Biochemical properties and the
Last edited by srbliss on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:11 pm

Welcome! Great start. Congratulations on becoming a father and taking the job seriously! Hope you can pull off your fourth restricted "S," that sounds tough. Do be sure to give yourself sufficient starchy reward on the weekend. If you do find it's too tough, there's no shame in going back to three esses. Frankly I think it might be healthier... do keep in mind that there are very virtuous starches like oatmeal and brown rice and black bread and quinoa and amaranth. Besides being good for you, they'll fill you up like nothing else. My bowl of oatmeal for lunch is like eating a bowl of cement in terms of fillingness. But I don't want to seduce you from your resolution, just worrying out loud. Best of luck, however many esses you decide to go with.

srbliss

Day 19

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 pm

Today started out bad but turned into a SUCCESS!!! . The very first thing I did was pick up the baby to change his diaper, as I was setting him onto the changing table a hot poker plunged into my middle back (not really - but that's what it felt like.) I was holding my son exactly wrong and tweaked my dang back. It was all I could do to change the diaper and get my son on safe ground. I was not happy - I wanted to get my 14 minutes of hammer time in this morning.

I stretched for a while relaxed on my back stretcher for a while and decided to work out as long as it didn't hurt any more. I only did easy non-hammering movements.
50 hindu squats to start off with to get the blood flowing and get loosened up.
With the hammer (left and right side for all)
25 normal shovels
25 reverse shovels, starting to feel better.
20 one handed butter churns.
20 tuck bales
15 flip lever
20 stoke fire
15 row the canoe

I went slow and easy and quit when the timer went off at 14 minutes.
Finished up with 30 pushups and then had breakfast.

For kicks I looked the calories of my breakfast and lunch. I am not hungry between meals, sometimes I even have trouble eating everything on my plate/bowl.

1-1/3 cups lowfat plain yogurt with 1 cup of mixed berries. 275 calories

Lunch 430 calories
2-1/2 oz. Deli sliced turkey.
1 cup butternut squash soup
Handfull of baby carrots
1 medium pear
1 medium apple

I'm doing pretty good at not eating much starch anymore. I just replace starch with fruit and veggies and I am finding that I just don't get hungry between meals anymore and I don't have that afternoon crash that I have always had. I still eat bread now and then but I use it as a treat instead of a staple.
Last edited by srbliss on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srbliss

Still going strong

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Starting the 4th week now.
Over the weekend I slipped into my old habit on not eating breakfast. Still had no snacks and ate pretty well for the other 2 meals.
Monday was a success. My back is still tender, did my 14 minutes of hammer time because I need to - it's a habit now.
Tuesday is going good so far (turned into a SUCCESS!!!) - I went pretty hard shugging (18 minutes today :wink: ) I upped my reps to 20 on most moves and could really feel it when I showered and strained to wash my hair.
25 regular shovels
20 one handed butter churns
15 flip lever
20 fireman
20 tuck bales
20 drive posts
20 stoke fire
20 reverse fireman
20 paddle canoe
20 chop wood
20 bust foundation
20 smash fender
25 cross shovels
30 pushups.

Followed by breakfast.
1-1/3 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 cup raspberries

Lunch
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup butternut squash soup
2-1/2 oz deli turkey
1 apple
1 banana

Steve

I just realized I need to join the 21 day club :D

srbliss

It's Wednesday!

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 pm

I did a kick butt workout this morning :D Today is already a SUCCESS because the diet is now second nature!

Reps Exercise
25 Regular shovels
20 One handed butter churns
15 No name
20 Smite the Orc
20 Butt scratchers
20 Drive fence posts
20 Stoke fire
20 Reverse smite the Orc
20 Paddle canoe
20 Chop wood
20 Bust foundation
20 Beat fender
25 Cross shovels

15 2 handed bar bell swings (40lbs.)
40 Pushups.

I must say I'm rather proud of myself right now. :roll:

Breakfast as normal
1 cup lowfat yogurt
1 cup raspberries.

Edit.
I had to go out to lunch for work today. I was thinking about just not eating but that would have been rude. We went to a mexican place and I was careful on controlling my chip intake (I used to eat at least one basket) and only ate 3 or 4 of them (chips not baskets!) and stopped - no big deal. Then I ordered a nice normal sized burrito without sides and enjoyed my meal. No guilt, no fuss, no afterlunch bloat and nobody even noticed that I am "on a diet". This was my very first real "challenge" to NOS. Success.

Another edit,
Dinner was a nice stir fry with brown and wild rice.
Steve

srbliss

Thursday

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Almost finished with week 4. Success. :D
Same hammer workout as Wednesday except I put some grip tape on the hammer so I could go non-stop without a sweat wipe off. I got the entire routine done in 14 -1/2 minutes. If I had 2 hammers I could do the one arm stuff simultaneously and beat 14 minutes.
Did 20 dumbell swings and 30 pushups then stretched the ol' back.

srbliss

Friday!

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 pm

It's been 4 weeks now. Success!:D
This morning I took it easy after 2 hard workouts.
Just worked on good form.
Breakfast
1-1/4 cup lowfat plain yogurt
with 1/2 cup straberries
and 1/2 cup blueberries.

Lunch
1-1/2 cottage cheese
2-1/2 oz turkey lunch meat
Apple, banana, plum.

srbliss

Monday - Ouch

Post by srbliss » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Hurt my upper back again :( this morning. About 12 minutes into my shovelglove routing I notice that the drive fence posts is really working my lower back muscles - then very next move and bang out goes my upper back. Workout over, shoulder muscle is all knotted up.

Oh well it will get better in short order, I just need to stretch a lot today.

I call it a painful SUCCESS because I just did it out of habit.

Eating a very late breakfast of
Yogurt and blueberries.
Hopefully I can go on nice long walk this afternoon.
Steve

srbliss

Tuesday

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Back is better this morning, did full routine without drive fence posts.
Yogurt and berries again for breakfast. Going for a 3 mile walk for lunch.

Edit.
Actually did 3.5 miles of useful walking at lunch. Came home ate dinner and took the baby to the grocery store via foot power - another 2.4 miles.

Success :D

srbliss

Day 31

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:38 pm

It's day 31 for me today :D

Did a normal shovelglove routine, plus some dumbbell swings and stretches.
Forgot to eat breakfast :shock: I will need to have an early lunch to make up for that. Good thing forgeting to eat is not an S.

Had a nice big lunch to make up for missing breakfast. Followed by a 3.5 mile "lunch walk". Came home and took the baby to the grocery store via footpower (2.4 miles.) Then made an awesome meatloaf (see foodtv.com - good eats - meatloaf) MMmmmm good - and it all fit on one plate.
Success on all fronts :D
Steve

srbliss

Day 32

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 am

Success!
NOS :D
Shovelglove :D
Sub-urban ranger :D
It's all good.
Steve

srbliss

Day 33

Post by srbliss » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Success!
NOS :)
Shovelglove :)
Sub-urban ranger :)
Steve

srbliss

Day 36

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:23 am

Monday morning - felt like crap when I woke up due to a very late dinner.

Started shuggin' and instantly felt much better. 14 minutes later beep beep. Added 40 pushups for "fun" and hit the shower.
NOS all good today.
UR - walked to the grocery store pushing the baby stroller.
Looks like a SUCCESS!!!!!

srbliss

Day 37

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:39 am

Same old thing - get up do shovelglove. Eat. Walk. Success.
Steve

srbliss

Day 38

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:55 am

Almost made it to the 2x21day thing.
Got up early for a meeting and forgot to eat breakfast.
Shovelglove = yes
NOS = yes
UR = yes
SUCCESS!!

srbliss

Day 39!

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:57 pm

NOS = :D
Shovelglove = :D
UR = Walking to have a beer or 2 with some friends tonight. :roll:
SUCCESS

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:01 am

Congratulations on your success so far. You are keeping to the plan and staying realistic too. Way to go. I admire especially your drive to stay with the exercise. That is where a lot of the rest of us miss out.

I had a question for you. I just read on the daily discussion board in the thread about cholesterol that you take fish oil for high blood pressure. I take hawthorne berry and MSM for several things and also blood pressure. They work pretty good and have kept me off medication but I would like to bring it down more if I could. Tends toward borderline occasionally. How much do you take?
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

srbliss

Fish oil ?

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 am

Thanks for the ataboy - sometimes the exercise is very hard to get started going in the morning. I am not a morning person and really have to work at it some mornings.
I take 6 capsules a day. One gram per capsule. This has been a great thing for me. The next time I buy some I will buy from here
http://www.anne-marie.ca/

srbliss

Day 40!

Post by srbliss » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:22 am

Got up early and did shovelglove then did some work on my bowflex. :shock:
Haven't gone on my walk yet but I will take the baby for his walk this evening. :)
NOS is still good - I cheated today and forgot to eat breakfast. :wink: I won't make up for it at dinner, I missed it and now I'm hungry. Lessen learned.

My next N-day will be day 43 - I made it to the 21x2 club!

srbliss

Yesterday was day 43!

Post by srbliss » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:55 am

And I felt like crap so I didn't shovelglove - the workout Friday (the one with the Bowflex added on for fun) killed me and I'm stiff and sore so this is an S day for me (I will stick to NOS.)
UR - still did 2 miles when my wife and I walked to the local tacaria for dinner.
Steve

srbliss

Day 44

Post by srbliss » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:56 am

Still hurt from Friday. I'm old, this sucks. I will be OK tomorrow.
Walked 3 miles.
NOS - OK
Success.

srbliss

Day 46 I think

Post by srbliss » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:02 am

I missed a few days of checking in. I did not miss NOS or UR or Shovelglove! I did them all and feel great. I checked my blood pressure the other night and it was 114/72! I have had borderline high blood pressure for 20 years and 6 weeks of everyday systems has saved my from nasty blood pressure drugs!!!!
SUCCESS!!!

Benjumanji

Post by Benjumanji » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Hey, Steve. That's terrific about your blood pressure!!! What a beautiful number (*114/72)

You ain't kidding about the nastiness of BP drugs-I work in the healthcare field, and the side effects are not pretty.
Carol

"If not now, when?"

srbliss

Day 50

Post by srbliss » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Thanks!
I have been too busy to check in the last few days. I helped with our big move over the weekend (we moved ~14,000 pounds of stuff!) That was my workout for the weekend.
Monday was a success.
NOS is a fully formed habit now. So is UR - these days I always walk if it's less than about a mile, even if I'm in a hurry.
I still have to work at doing SG - even if it is the least boring exercise program ever. In a month or so it will also be a habit that I just do before hopping into the shower.
Steve

srbliss

Back from "down under"

Post by srbliss » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 pm

I stuck with NOS the entire 10 day trip to Australia. I found it was very easy to skip all of the snacks the locals like to have during "tea time"
Success.
UR - 92 miles in 10 days - major success.
SG - :( I did do a lot of pushups.
Steve