Back and hoping to succeed

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tessytwinkle

Back and hoping to succeed

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi there. I’m back on noS after a long pause. During which I tried and managed to lose weight on the 5:2 diet. I lost 10kg. But have now put on a lot of weight due to stress. I now find myself unable to fast and I know the noS diet is the only sane and straightforward way for me to get a grip once more on my eating. I’m in the middle of a stressful bereavement and some bad eating. But I have started today with a good first noS day. I hope to hold myself accountable in a public way. I have diabetes and many immune system problems. This is a desperate last attempt to get back on track. I hope it can work it’s up to me. :!:

automatedeating

Re: Back and hoping to succeed

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi Tessy! Big hugs for you during this stressful time. So happy to see you posting, though. We're all here for you!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am

Hello - glad you decided to give it another go. Sorry, to hear you're having a tough time and hope your day/week/month/year 😊 goes well.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi tessytwinkle, First of all, glad to see you back. Secondly, there is no bad eating when during a bereavement, other than not eating at all. I was at an older cousin's funeral last year, and she planned the whole wake menu after her funeral. It would have rivaled most weddings, including an open bar. Knowing how organized she was in real life, it gave us a good laugh and a way to celebrate.
Hope to see you posting regularly on check-ins. Developing that habit keeps us honest with ourselves.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Candace

Post by Candace » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Welcome, tessywinkle! Random internet stranger here. Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm starting No-S for the first time. I look forward to supporting you. Best wishes for success during this tough period. I hope the knowledge that No-S is a sane, effective structure for eating will help remove the stress from at least that part of your life.
53 year old female. Height 5' 5.5". Goal: 145 lb. Stretch goal: 140 lb.
Weight 6/14/2019: 155 lb.
8/3/2019: 151 lb.
8/24/2019: 149 lb.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi and thank you everyone for your kind welcome. My life is quite stressful at the moment so I may not be able to regularly post. But I feel safe somehow and valued on this forum and that is such a nice feeling after feeling so low. Thank you. I managed a noS day today so two in the bag and feeling good. Candace good luck with your journey I shall be rooting for you. Whoseonfirst, thanks for giving me a smile today imagining your cousins funeral wake,what a great way to leave life! Ginger pie, thank you for your kind words they mean a lot. Have you been doing noS long? Hi automated you were so kind and supportive of me a long while ago when I was posting. So thank you for welcoming me back.
I’m hoping to keep going tomorrow. I felt unwell today. Maybe the loss of sugar I certainly felt that! I have recently come off proton pump medication for heartburn and I have been really struggling to get on top of rebound heartburn. Many people cannot get off them once on. But the PPIs are so bad for my health and osteoporosis that I must stay off them if I can. I’m hoping my noS regime will really help. Fingers crossed.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:40 am

Big hugs sorry you’re going through a rough time. Im no longer fasting either as I was getting too extreme with it. Not doing NoS either but I still try to post now and then. I had to go back on ppis. It sucks but going to try to wean off in a month or two. There are worse meds i guess.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself. 💜
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160