And I'm back... Again!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ChandaLikePanda

And I'm back... Again!

Post by ChandaLikePanda » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:15 pm

I don't want to go searching for my original thread, it's lost in the void, somewhere.

But I'm starting over with NoS. I've realized that I have a horrible sweet tooth, and I was trying to be too restrictive before, which caused me to fall off the wagon (of any diet), so I'm going to have to try baby steps. And I'm not going to record what I eat, because that's daunting.

So I'm here for support and ideas, and I've already messed up today by eating chocolate, but I'm going to try keeping the rest of the day a good day.

I forgot the rules on beverages between meals, can someone please remind me what is allowed? Also, is there an Android app for tracking S and N days?
Thanks in advance!
Height: 5'4"

pinkhippie

Re: And I'm back... Again!

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Welcome back!

I am not sure about what's allowed... I think just what works for you! I know milk is definitely a good way to get through between-meal hunger or decaf coffee with cream or milk, and some people throw protein powder in their milk.

I always had trouble with the no sweet part of no s and I tried a mod of making a space for a sweet on my plate for meals. ultimately, that didn't work for me but it might work for you! The only thing that really worked for me long term was recognizing that I felt bad when I had sugar and sweets every day and cutting it down to weekends only. That took a long time though and it had to come from the internal motivation of not wanting to feel bad, not external rules because then I felt very restricted and denied. Whenever there is a special occasion and I have dessert 3 or 4 days in a row, I am reminded that I feel worse with lots of sugar. I also have discovered that having dessert two days in a row really makes me crave a dessert the next day but if I don't eat it on day 3, I don't crave it the day after that.

Bowls of berries with milk, or a small bowl of cereal with dinner or plain yogurt with berries were all good sweet substitutes while I was getting used to not having sugar every day.

Experiment and see what works for you! I don't know about an android app maybe someone else knows about that.

Good luck!

ChandaLikePanda

Post by ChandaLikePanda » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you! I'm going to try replacing sweets with fruit, that way I'm getting fiber, vitamins and minerals, on the N days. Today is a new day, I'm going to do my best to do NoS right, and start building those good habits.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 pm

I am also back again for some support. Snacks were my weakness more than sweets, but I ate sweets because they were there. My whole family loves sweets, and sweet treats are a constant focus. I learned to abstain and/or make better choices. Our favorite ice cream shop has frozen bananas dipped in dark chocolate and also watermelon sherbet. I can eat these on S days if I choose and abstain on other days. They do not seem to lead to that sweets craving that you get just from eating sweets. I also like frozen fruit bars, especially mango. Ginger beer (Nonalcoholic) is also an occasional treat, and there is a diet version. Moscow Mule cocktails are also made with ginger beer as a mixer so that is an occasional indulgence. I try to stay totally away from super rich or heavily chocolate desserts. Too addicting.

I think any non sweet beverage other than alcohol is an okay between meals if it means avoiding a snack. I choose V8 or milk.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:36 am

Welcome back Chanda.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Sounds like a good plan Chanda! I love fruit too and with the fiber, its definitely more filling.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Chanda! So nice to see you on the boards! :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ChandaLikePanda

Post by ChandaLikePanda » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Thank you everyone! This week has been really hectic. I think I had maybe one completely successful N day. I definitely eat due to stress and lack of planning for a proper meal. I can see that I need to work on those parts.