Zeejane's Daily Check-In Thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Zeejane

Zeejane's Daily Check-In Thread

Post by Zeejane » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 pm

3/15/21
Starting weight- 146.6lbs/would like to get back down to my pre-covid maintenance weight of around 130lbs.

After maintaining a 50ishlb loss for around 7 years, (with various IF/low carb protocols), I hit a maintenance wall last spring when covid arrived in my state. Now, one year later and several false re-starts, I'm around 16lbs heavier than what I was last March, and solidly out of my maintenance comfort zone. I've heard the 'No S' diet mentioned before on different dieting forums and for some reason it popped into my head yesterday. Went ahead and bought the (e)book on a whim and read it in one sitting last night. The common sense approach gave me a much needed kick in the bum. I've been at this whole weight management thing long enough that I know where I've gotten lazy, (mostly snacking on sweet things). I'm ready to get back at it and get the weight creep under control.

Day One-SUCCESS :D
-Breakfast was two slices of Daves Killer thin cut bread, toasted, with a triangle of Laughing cow spread and 2 smoky links/drizzle of ketchup. Had room to spare on my plate.
-Lunch was a large chicken potpie and a side of Wheat Thin crackers. Filled the plate but not overly much.
-Supper was two packets of instant oats, (one flavored/one regular), with a packet of walnut/cranberries mixed in. With a side of two brown n' serve sausages and three Schwan cheesy tots/drizzle of ketchup. Ok, so I put the oatmeal in a bowl separate from the meat/tots because some things just cannot be on the same plate ha! But, eyeballing it I think it would have all fit, and I did not grab my usual seconds and thirds of the tots. Big win there!

NO snacks today, which is a biggie. I also decided to eliminate the packets of sugar in my tea. The book says to not worry about this, but I did the math and those little packets add up to over a thousand calories every month. I don't really mind my tea without it, more of a habit to add it than anything. Otherwise lots of water and a couple cans of diet coke to round out the day.

ladybird30

Re: Zeejane's Daily Check-In Thread

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Welcome Zeejane
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Zeejane

Post by Zeejane » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:11 pm

ladybird30 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:56 pm
Welcome Zeejane
Thanks!

Zeejane

Post by Zeejane » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 pm

3/16
Day 2: success!

It was a busy day of errands but I stayed the course and I’m finishing strong! I even said no to a Krispy cream donut, I may be driving across town on Saturday to get me one 😂
Last edited by Zeejane on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeejane

Post by Zeejane » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 pm

3/17
Day 3: Off Plan

Well, today was the first day of tom and besides feeling crappy, I also had intense cravings for sweet things. I fought through it until supper, when I allowed myself to have dessert-strawberries with shortcake and whipped cream. Calorie wise it wasn't awful and it was kind of healthy, so I'm not to bummed about it. Having it also prevented me from doing a face dive into the Twinkie box sitting on my counter!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 am

I always find that the more I resist PMS cravings the worse I do so I’d say you handled it pretty well :D

Zeejane

Post by Zeejane » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Jen1974-yeah, pms cravings can be awful :cry:

Yesterday I was offline but had another on-plan day, very pleased with how my first week is going!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Welcome!

I agree with Jen! Resisting PMS cravings sometimes has a rebound effect for me. Sounds like a good choice with the strawberry shortcake! That sounds so yummy!

Congratulations on your first week! If you haven't done No S before I think at first it can feel weird but it does eventually become a habit.

Zeejane

Post by Zeejane » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 am

Wrapping up my first week!

The Good:
-this plan resonates with me, such a common sense approach that doesn't cut out any food groups or makes things complicated and time consuming.
-putting structure back in place with my food feels really good, I control food again instead of it controlling me!
-I used the momentum from starting the new plan to also kick off my spring walking and got in two walks/2 miles this week!

The Not-So Good:
-PMS/tom started this week, which is the WORST time to start a new way of eating, ugh :?
-I had 2 out of the 5 days where I had a sweet treat-the strawberry shortcake earlier this week after supper and then this afternoon my daughter brought home fresh made cinnamon rolls from a local bakery. I was a goner sigh.... :oops: :P

I feel like overall I had a solid start and I'm pleased that I was able to follow the plan pretty well. Next week I'm really going to try and have a 5-day streak!

pinkhippie-it did feel a bit weird to not snack in the afternoon, which has become a habit for me, but I know it's the snacking (on sweet things), that's caused most of my weight creep, so it's got to go!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 am

Welcome, sounds like you got off to a great start.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:20 am

It's not easy to change habits, and it looks like you did do a fantastic job! Good luck this week.
BMI March 2021: 28
Using NoS to eliminate emotional eating.