Scott's Check-In: Third Time is the Charm

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

scottwblack

Scott's Check-In: Third Time is the Charm

Post by scottwblack » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Now that I've (hopefully) conquered my Hurricane Katrina-related Post-Traumatic Stress, I should be capable of following through on the No S Diet. This time out I plan on staying away from the scale until my 21 days are over.

Day One: SUCCESS

Ate a very limited amount of food due to continuing mouth pain. Walked, but not enough. My new Electra Townie bike still sits in the bedroom not ridden. I guess I'm a little self-conscious about riding it at my current weight. Just another excuse. I need to get over those.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 pm

Day Two: SUCCESS

Not the healthiest of dinners (chips with queso), but I stuck to the plan (three meals, no snacks, no sweets) and felt satisfied. Didn't walk enough, though. It's hot again and my mouth is still recovering from whatever trauma I caused it last weekend. Can't wait until the Texas heat is gone.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Welcome back, Scott! Congratulations on having dealt with those other huge issues and best of luck this time round on No-s.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:27 pm

The hearts of the rest of the country are with you Katrina survivors. How are you doing? Will you stay relocated or are you going back?

Welcome to No S. If you survived a hurricane, you can do this. Get on that bike and move toward a new you. Who cares what it looks like. It can only get better if you work at it and that means getting on that bike. It might help to read a thread on the daily discussion board entitled "not right now". Some good thoughts there.
Focus on what you ate that was totally on plan. This is a process and a learning experience. Listing your successes and what you ate that was on plan will help you feel successful. Good luck.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:09 pm

pangelsue wrote:The hearts of the rest of the country are with you Katrina survivors. How are you doing? Will you stay relocated or are you going back?
A year later, I think we're doing okay. We lost everything: our home, our dogs, our jobs; so it has been tough. But we're situated in a city (Austin, TX) that we love and plan to live in for the forceable future.

Day Three: SUCCESS

Again, I didn't eat the healthiest of foods, but I didn't snack or have any sweets.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:08 pm

Day Four: FAILURE

I guess yesterday was an S(pecial) Day for me - Saints 23, Falcons 3 - but since I'm trying to do this in a pure way, I'll call it what it really was: a failure. No problem. Begin again today.