Betsy's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:19 am

Sounds like you had a good trip.

So close to 21 days... you can do it! Rah rah rah!
:)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:05 am

Day B21: SUCCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it!

I had a normal-to-light breakfast and lunch, and after swimming vigorously for 45 minutes I took myself out for a fairly large pasta dinner to celebrate Day 21. I'm stuffed.

It was a great journey and along the way I did eat a few things that might be "out of line" by some folks' measure -- a chocolate almond one day, two potato chips a few days later -- but the routine I followed was JUST RIGHT for me, and MUCH healthier than an ordinary day before no-S. And, most importantly, it was sustainable over the long haul!!

Plus, during the family trip last weekend, my mom and dad learned what I was doing and I think they are going to start trying it!

Thanks Reinhard! I feel so good!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Woo hoo Clicky!!!!!
You rock :D
Love,
Deb

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:01 pm

Good job... the world will now have to contend with a leaner, meaner, healthier Betsy.

Now that you've hit the magic 21 days, I think you should get "No-S for Life" tattooed somewhere conspicuous.

:D

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:23 pm

WAY TO GO BETSY!!!!!

I've been somewhat like you in my NoSing so far. I've had some occasional "funny stuff" and a couple days I would only count as 90% successes, but it works for me and I haven't had any major slipups. But like you said, even the "funny" days were much better than my pre-NoS days, and it all feels utterly sustainable. You go girl!!

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:52 pm

On Wednesday I took a break from No-S even tho it was a weekday. I had a cheeseburger and fries at the Char-Grill, and a coke float afterward. (A coke float is a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass of coke, eaten with a spoon and a straw. Amazingly, there are areas where this phenomenon is unknown)

It was 102 degrees yesterday -- 39 in metric -- so no outdoor activity for me.

Despite all this, I weighed 177 on the scale this morning -- that's one more pound down, and a new low in the last year.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Woo hoo Betsy!!!!!!!!!Wow a high and a low!
So congrats girl! You are a'rockin!!!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:33 am

Day whatever-this-is, C1 I guess: SUCCESS

B: coffee, milk w/cocoa, toasted Engl muffin w/homemade jam and butter (occasional homemade sweet is OK in my iteration of No-S)
L: 2 tomato sandwiches, milk
D: whole wheat pita with halloumi cheese, cucumber and tomato; orange juice

Exercise: almost an hour of swimming laps.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:53 am

Day C2: SUCCESS

B: milk, coffee, soymilk. orange juice
L: chicken salad, black beans, English peas, fruit
D: chicken salad, tomato sandwich, small banana pudding, sugar cookie (normal size, not one of those saucer-sized cookies-on-steroids)

Rangering about 20 minutes. I saw a shrimp bee on some zinnias.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:02 pm

Ok, I must ask, what is a shrimp bee?

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Well, Navin, I was wondering that myself last night and so I looked it up. A shrimp bee is neither shrimp nor bee, but in fact a moth. I bet you guessed that.

It has clear wings, and visits flowers, hovering like a bee or hummingbird.

There are two species, a large one (called the "hummingbird clearwing") and a small one (the "bumblebee clearwing").

The hummingbird clearwing moth is often mistaken for a hummingbird, in fact, but it's a bit smaller (about 2 inches). The bumblebee clearwing moth is what I saw and it's about an inch long. It looks like a velvety furry bee, but with a kind of lobster tail. Here are some great pictures I found.

http://www.pollinatorparadise.com/Solit ... s/FAQ2.htm
http://www.mxcat.com/bbm62503b.html
http://www.mxcat.com/bbmoth1.html

What a cool critter, heh?

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:24 pm

Interesting indeed, don't think I've ever seen one of those. I figured it probably wasnt' a shrimp, since it's quite improbable to find shrimp flying around a flower.

Neat pictures, too.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:35 pm

Wow that does look very cool and weird!!!
So shimmery... If you look closely you can see that it has areas which are totally irridescent...Cool!
And yes, it looks like the shape of a shrimp..
Still I think I'll have regular shrimp with my shrimp cockail...

Funny... I always thought real shrimp (at least when they aren't shelled and next to some cocktail sauce, and when they are still alive, look like large insects!
The insect most visibe around here lately, is the cicada... They are just bumping into things all over the place.... Something tells me they don't have great radar or something...

Thanks Betsy!
Hope you are having a great day!

Love,
Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:25 am

I'm glad you enjoyed those! (pix I mean, not shrimp-bee cocktails)

Day C3 - SUCCESS

It was an S-day but I like putting it in bold like that anyway. Good old positive reinforcement.

B: coffee, "english" muffin w/butter & jam, orange juice
L: halloumi cheese on pita with tomato and cucumber, milk
Snack: tomato sandwich (for Deb)
D: crackers, chicken drumstick, pasta with rice, strawberries, milk & cocoa, a few chocolate raisins

exercise: went for a 30 minute run-walk

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:26 pm

Betsy, nice timing on the day off. You got a complete successful 21 day B round in. Very happy to hear about your new low.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:24 am

Day C4 - SUCCESS

B: pancakes, blueberry compote, syrup, melon, coffee, milk, 2 good-sized links of sausage (GOSH it's so nice to have no guilt!)
L: 2 eggs over easy on buttered toast, orange juice
D: tomato sandwich, milk & cocoa

Exercise: 35 minutes swimming. This is only the 5th time I have been swimming this year and I already notice a huge difference in my stamina and how fast I can swim a lap. In fact I began to notice some difference by even the third session. The body is an incredible thing.

My abs are starting to shape up, and I haven't even focused on them.

I got a couple of compliments on how I am shaping up. Now there's a motivator.

Oh, my goodness. It's been a small change - just 9 pounds - but what a change. I feel like a million bucks. Thank you 10,000 times, Reinhard.

OK, enough with the exponentials of 10, I guess!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:39 pm

Congrats on your loss!

You are so right about swimming--I definitely noticed that learning curve in the pool when I first started. Yay!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Yay Betsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May your joy and self esteem grow exponentially with every success you have!!!!
Nine pounds is a great achievement!!!!!

(ps.. For breakfast I had a nice fresh bagel with veggie cream cheese and three slices of tomato!!! I thought of you!!!)

I think you should go and buy the most expensive tomato you can find as a reward!!! Hee hee...

Great news Bets!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Day C5 (Monday) - SUCCESS

B: coffee, orange juice, fast-food sausage biscuit (didn't stay with me at all, very rich and calorific of course, but didn't fill me up)
L: tomato sandwich, soymilk, milk
D: halloumi cheese on whole-wheat pita with cuke and tomato (couldn't even eat it all), 1 peach, milk/cocoa

Exercise - I felt pretty tired from two days in a row of running/swimming, so decided to take a day off. Nice to feel the burn from racing my friend in the swimming pool the previous night. Golly, I sound like some kind of athlete or something.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:58 pm

I'm about to go north to see relatives / climb mountains / escape to cooler weather, so I may not be able to post for a while. I'm still trying to figure what appproach I'll take to No-S while on vacation.

I hate to make every day an S-day, but I know there will be lots of special occasions and homemade treats. I think I may just continue to avoid junk food altogether, but allow desserts and trail food in moderation. I guess here are some of my thoughts:

- I will probably be getting lots of exercise.
- Trail food is nourishment, not snacks.
- Desserts on vacation are OK -- they fit within the "special treat, not a habit" approach to eating sweets.

Well, having thought it out a bit, I feel comfortable with this tack.

The big picture is, following no-S for the past 2 months seems to have pretty much cured my urge for big portions; my taste for sugar on a regular basis; and fondness for eating cookies and snacks out of krinklybags. At this point, continuing those habits won't pose much of a challenge even on vacation.

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Nice work, and have a good vaca!
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 pm

Hey Betsy! We will miss you... Hope you enjoy your trip...
You might want to have a little conference with Navin, as he had a pretty industrious vacation, with a bunch of semi planned S's, and I think he did pretty well with NoS.. And hey, remember Kevin's trip to the theme park and five S days included? He actually still lost weight... Probably due to all that walking.. But also, these S extravaganzas of the past are really not as they were anymore...
I think that just the plain fact that you are pre-planning your "off plan" stuff, will automatically increase your chances of doing well! Heck, it's in your signature eh?....
Enjoy the wilderness hikes!
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Clicky -

I think you have the right attitude. For comparison, on my recent vacation, I ended up sticking to No-S but being tolerant of "screw-ups". I didn't just go hog wild though... I saved those "screw-ups" for items that really are special, such as a local delicacy or something. Having, say, pie made from fresh berries at a mom-n-pop restaurant is reasonable. Getting a Reese's FastBreak at ever gas stop is not.

So I think you'll be fine... hope you have a great vacation. Watch out for ticks! :D

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Well howdy, I'm back from vacation.

Everything went reasonably well. I never overate, got plenty of exercise and did what I said I would do about desserts (went ahead and enjoyed them in moderation). There were a few times where I had limited choices about food -- such as yesterday, when I was traveling and ate things like McD's hash browns and snacks in the car -- but that was a small part of the overall picture. Mostly I ate good homemade food and lots of fruits and vegetables -- quite a bit of sweet corn and wild raspberries and blueberries.

For exercise I climbed a mountain and a couple of smaller hills. I swam some, and walked quite a bit. I was sore after the mountain for a few days, and my calves & shins are now well covered in bruises, scratches, bites, and scrapes. I feel very accomplished, for an indoor gal!

Now it's back to the stultifying heat for another few weeks ... til the first cool front comes through, which I await with impatience. Having been in the coolth up north, I have lost my taste for exercising in the heat ... swimming is the only activity that sounds remotely acceptable (not to say inviting) right now.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Welcome back Clickey!!
Sounds like a terrific trip! Nice to hear that it went smoothly for you...
NoS is really so doable that even on "vacations" or "special days" they do go pretty smoothly... There are so many good types of foods to choose from and when you have that freedom, it's actually fun to exercise good choices!

"Stultifying"??? That is perfect for this heat!!!
Love it! It totally describes how it's making my brain feel these days..
Stultified!!!!! LOL...
I too, am looking forward to a break from the dawg days here....
(Of course once the cool weather hits I'll probably be bitching too! LOL..)
Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:28 pm

It been quite chilly here in MN this weekend. Maybe this cold front will make its way over to NC in a few days.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:34 pm

Ooh, the thought of being chilly! I hope it does!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:25 pm

I could just make you all jealous by saying that round here the temp is an almost constant 20 degrees (metric, that's about 65 degrees F for you transatlantic types). This is just perfect for walking around in a t-shirt.

Ha! I love my small rainy island! It's never very hot, or very cold. I'd miss it, but I'm about to leave it for an even smaller and rainy-er coastal contry - Holland.

C.
CaroleJo

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:38 am

A t-shirt? At 65 degrees? Bwrrrr!

Just kidding. I know, it's all relative! Every time I come back from Vermont, I decide this place is uninhabitable.

Now then ... back to diarying ... I haven't posted in a while ... been too busy ... no major setbacks ... though I did have a McD's cheeseburger today. For some weird reason, I was craving beef and I thought that would be a good idea. I knew it would make me feel yucky even as I was placing my order, though. And it did. Blech.

Well, that is one of those mistakes that you have to make every six months or so for inoculation purposes.

I ate WAY too many pistachio nuts yesterday and the day before that I had several sugary things. Don't know what got into me. I felt kind of depleted and unhealthy as a result. Sometimes it's a vicious cycle -- you feel depleted and unhealthy, so you reach for more depleting, unhealthy food. I'll snap out of it.

The main fix will be -- now that the pistachios and cookies and such are all eaten up -- that I have brought home healthier things from the store, and I will have a little more time to cook so that healthy meals are right at hand.

Being hungry when snacks or junk food are at hand is one of my pitfalls. But, at least I know that.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:15 am

Good self knowledge Betsy!!!
After a year at this, I'm finally figuring this out too!!! LOL...
You are figuring it out sooner, so you can take action and go get that healthy food into your fridge...
What about some tomatoes??? :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps.. my fam used to get the pistachios with the red food coloring on the shells when I was a kid... remember that?
It was always very very obvious who polished off all the pistachios and didn't leave any for anyone else... there was a telltale red quality to my hands and lips!!!
LOL...
pps.. Did you ever see that Naked Gun movie where, I think it was the second one, where the cops are on a stakeout and eating pistachios all night long, and at the end of the stakeout they go to open the car door and can't because there is a giant hill of shells outside the car? LOL!!!!!!

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:07 pm

Ha ha ha ha! I love those movies.

Well Deb, I guess "great minds think alike" 'cause last night I decided to start off on the right track again with a couple of tomato sandwiches. And I hadn't even seen your message :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Ah!! Tomatoes.... so healthy and chock full of lycopene!!! LOL. :lol:
The beautiful color of red.... Red is the color of Joy!!!
You could say you like having sandwiches that are a nice thick slice of Joy between some whole grain bread...

Have a nice one Bets!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:58 pm

Well it's Saturday and I am back on track ... not that things had gone all that haywire, but I wasn't eating as I would have preferred for a few days there ... However, I did manage a good amount of exercise ... on Tuesday I swam 30 minutes ... on Thursday I ran 15 minutes and walked 15 minutes ... and last night I swam for 50 minutes (almost one mile ... 1650 yards).

Swimming is the one exercise that seems almost easy ... I feel like I could just keep going indefinitely when I am in the pool ... I'll be sorry when the outdoor pool I've been using closes August 28. The indoor pool is just not the same ... I like watching the clouds and trees and birds from in the water.

It makes no sense in this climate that they would shut all the city pools down August 28. You could swim for at least another month after that. But I think when school starts back they can't keep the teenagers on staff.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Good for you Clickster... training for another triathlon it looks like? :)

No kidding about the pools... though I suppose from where you are, it's awlays an option to drive a couple hours to the beach and do some ocean swimming! Aside from the sharks and jellyfish, that's fun stuff. Wish I could do it more, but land-locked Kentucky is not exactly known for its ocean-front beaches.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:30 pm

Navin -- That's true. And there are always lakes. When I was on vacation last week I had some really lovely swims in ponds and rivers in Vermont. Extremely pleasant, and no chlorine to fry your hair and skin! Makes me want to seek out the local freshwater swimming holes and lake beaches. I'm sure you have those in Kentucky?

navin

Post by navin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:21 pm

Yes, but not as many as you might think. There are some lakes (mostly to the south). Around here we have the Kentucky River... it's probbaly not very safe to swim in that, though (pollution and stuf - although it isn't nearly as bad as the Ohio River!)

There are a couple reservoirs too that are probably swimmable.

But swimming in salt water is an experience in and of itself, at least in my opinion.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:09 pm

that's one thing I'm hoping to hook back into when I get on the continent again. Brits are so prudish and stuck up about free swimming in lakes and ponds - it's absolutely totally and enforcedly BANNED just about everywhere here! In Germany when I lived there, we used to go skinny-dipping in the lake at midnight most days, it was delicious. I hope Holland has the same relaxed attidude. I look forward to finding out!
C.
CaroleJo

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:06 am

Maybe it's because of stormwater runoff and pollution? Even in wild, wooded, thinly populated Vermont, some of the ponds and rivers are occasionally closed to swimming because of E. coli contamination. Too bad we can't seem to keep from spoiling the natural environment in which we live.

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:28 am

Yeah, I used to live in Vermont and as pristine as most of it is, like you said there are still cases of agricultural run-off and stuff like that. Of course, even pristine sources of water can be iffy - E. Coli and other organisims occur in nature so no matter what you have to be careful!

Then agian, maybe that's all just a big conspiracy involving the portable water-filter-purifer-thingie industry. :)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:43 am

Navin -- Will you marry me?

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:46 am

Well, considering I just finished a race I'd need to at least shower and clean up first... :)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:34 am

That's fine. We can always elope and have a picnic for our loved ones later.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:12 am

Can I sing at your wedding you guys?
Love,
8) Deb

PS.. Nathan, That shower and change "line" really had me bursting out laughing!!! Good thing Richard is a heavy sleeper because the comps in his room and he is crashed out now (I should be too!)

Okay everyone.... Let's all invite ourselves to Betsy and Navins wedding!!!
Reinhard can officiate :)

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:13 pm

Considering the average cost of a wedding is close to $30,000 :shock: I am fine with eloping.

So is it Vegas or Hawaii? :)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:35 am

Hawaii!

I had a great S weekend -- lost another pound (by the scales at home, anyway), ran/walked about an hour, saw "March of the Penguins," ate frozen custard, got engaged. :o

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:46 am

Yay Betsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome news!!!
:D
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:50 am

Thanks!! Just kidding, of course. (You might want to extend that congrats to Navin, too!)

navin

Post by navin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:06 am

Click-

Okay, Hawaii it is. I'll be nice and take care of ording the plane tickets and stuff... for security reasons though I'll need your social security number, mother's maiden name, a couple credit card numbers... :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:20 am

Uh oh... the honeymoon didn't even start and it sounds like it's over already!

Yeah I can see this....
Navin walking into a Lexus dealer trying to tell them his name is really Betsy! No really, it is!!! :shock:

By the way... what kind of food is going to be at your wedding anyway?
I'm in the mood for some tomato wraps and some fresh mozzarella and tomato!!! :wink:

Maybe some tomato soup!

Don't give him those cards Betsy.. He's a rogue!
:lol:

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:40 pm

I was thinking maybe some ... tomato sandwiches! If I have enough left in my bank account after my intended gets done at the Lexus dealership. (I think I need a pre-nup!)

I haven't been keeping track of my days very well but I think this will be Day 4 of Round C. I hope to go swimming for up to an hour tonight. It's the only bearable activity to do in this heat.

The heat is about to break a little with our first cool front coming through tonight (or rather, a less-hot front). Should be about 85 tomorrow.

This summer has been different in that I kept being physically active even through the hot months. Usually I just bag it after about June 15. Instead, this time I actually resolved to increase my fitness. Now I'm walking-&-running 2 miles at a time (was just walking a mile in the spring) and swimming twice as many yards as a month ago (almost 1 mile). The heat has been rough, but I decided to stick with it, even if I had to run after dark.

Now I'm in shape for even more strenuous activity when the weather gets a bit cooler and drier ... should be just a few more weeks. :) That's when it will actually be PLEASANT to go outside ... fancy that!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:19 pm

You people are so funny. :lol:

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 am

I checked, and today is actually D4 (I'm on my fourth go-round of No-S, day 4).

I swam tonight, as I'd intended, but didn't make it to a mile (went 1650 yards last time, which is 4,950 feet or 330 feet short of a mile).

I stopped at 1500 yards -- was pretty well worn out at the point, though not exhausted. Did some yoga stretches in the pool and called it a night. I'm sort of glad I quit when I did.

B: Coffee, cream, orange juice, remnants of choc-chip scone (doesn't count as a sweet, 'cause I couldn't finish it for breakfast yesterday)
L: tortilla chips and cheese, pita bread with chickpea salad, and a glass of milk. I know, not an ideal lunch. I was in a rush.
D: eel sushi, milk, peach.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:24 am

All right, so today was D5, and I was in a long meeting this morning and I ate a chocolate that I had in my handbag (but only because I was trapped, there was nothing else available and I was about to pass out from hunger).

After lunch, which was healthy, I caved again -- with no excuses this time -- and had a half piece of baklava.

Nonetheless it has been a good day overall, with mostly healthy food: milk, peach, plain yogurt, chickpea/tomato/onion salad, whole wheat pita, tomato sandwich, baked chicken.

No exercise today unless I manage to get in a half-hour walk tonight -- it's already 8:30, and I think I'll wait til tomorrow, when it should be "cooler" (85 degrees or so).

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:34 am

Clickbeetle, You did what a naturally thin person would do. You ate a little more than you needed, but didn't turn it into a wild, crazed binge. You are sounding like a naturally thin person already!

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:12 am

Betsy,,, the lure of chocolate is strong!
I couldn't stay away from it totally for the first several months, and would often go into "Day 5B" and before you know it I'd be saying it was "Day 5V..." then I was like, "screw this" with the counting... It felt like a torture device rather than a motivational device... Hopefully you're not feeling this way... I think you are doing great!!! Each "failure" is still an attempt..
The attempt is just as worthy as the end product... At least that's my opinion... People on the road to success have plenty of setbacks.. It's the people who aren't trying to go anywhere that don't have them..
So this is proof that you are on the road to your goal!!!!

I still want to have chocolate a lot of the time, but rather than a candy bar, I normally include some chocolate soymilk in my coffee... Even if I have two or three cups of coffee for the day, the chocolate factor is not too damaging, plus *it's soymilk!* and has protein, and isoflavones!!!!
That satisfies my taste for the stuff pretty well, at this point, and I make it a rule to only drink, at most, one cup of it a day... The calories are pretty negligable... Perhaps you might want to try a little of that stuff to see if you like it? Hmmm??? I know you mentioned liking hot cocoa...

Well, I hope you have a good lawyer draft up a well thought out pre-nup!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:50 am

Thanks, Peetie and Deb! Those are some REALLY great ideas! and thanks for your support. I can honestly say these glitches were no big deal. In fact, they hardly register!

By the way in looking at your comments, I re-read my post and one thing really popped out at me:
and I ate a chocolate that I had in my handbag
Now does that strike anyone else as unusual?

I mean -- the idea of carrying a Lake Champlain hazelnut praline specialty chocolate around in my handbag, and not eating it, like, immediately, would have been more or less a fantasy before this? And it would have stayed in there for at least a couple more days if I hadn't been almost to the point of passing out in the meeting.

I think this thing is working!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:09 pm

Good take Betsy!!!!!!!!!
I agree!
P&L,
:wink: Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 am

Today is D6, and boy did I goof!

I've been having these incredibly strong carbohydrate cravings ... and ... this afternoon I spotted the multicolored bag of saltwater taffy that I got the other night ... intending to save it for the weekend ... well ... the mistake was in letting it in the house before Saturday!
... 'cause I ate ten pieces. :shock: :oops: :!: :?: and :evil: ... and that was AFTER I sneaked a piece of baklava. :roll:

Fortunately. among the different flavors of taffy, there was a cinnamon one :x and a licorice-flavored one, :x so those got tossed and I didn't eat all twelve!

Oh well! ... the rest of the day went all right ... and I did get a nice 40-minute walk in. 8)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:04 am

Eeeewww licorice taffy????
Maybe next time you'll leave all the good ones out and only bring the licorice ones into the house! Then you'll be safe!

Remember to brush your teeth tonight! :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:14 am

Well, it's Day D7 and I did pretty well ... if you ignore a few Altoids ... which I think are negligible.

B: coffee, cream, two tomato sandwiches
L: tortilla chips (that does not mean Doritos, OK) and mozzarella cheese; two ears of sweet corn; milk
D: rather large chicken salad sandwich; fruit

Rangering: 30-minute walk (humidity way down today - very pleasant!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 pm

Good job!!!
Go Tomato Besty!!!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:17 am

Day D8 ... reasonable success

Still having those carbohydrate cravings ... couldn't resist a couple of Starburst candies and a Charleston Chew ... but this was minor ...

B: coffee, cream, peach
L: milk & cocoa, 2 ears of buttered sweet corn
D: chocolate milk, chickpea-tomato-parsley salad on whole wheat pita, plain yogurt, mixed fruit

Exercise: Rode "Critical Mass" bike ride (total of 1.5 moderately vigorous hours of riding)

Interesting aside: I read somewhere that chocolate milk is about the best sports drink you can have ... it has the optimal mix of protein & sugar, and plenty of electrolytes (mostly in the form of potassium) !

re: candy/baklava/other cravings I gave in to this week -- I think I have been mentally letting the sugar through because I have been a lot of more physically active and therefore on some half-conscious level I'm like, well, it's OK for me to have this piece of candy or baklava because I'm exercising so much. I don't know if this is good or bad ... I mean, obviously it's not following the No-S basic rules ... but I'm reluctant to take a hard line, because there is so much "baggage" associated with puritanism, eating disorders, and guilt-about-pleasure.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm almost thinking that, as long as I'm basically on the right track, it's better to be a little slack than too strict, given how large food-related guilt looms in our culture. Also, if I'm too strict with myself, the whole thing may become so burdensome and stressful that I don't sustain it over the long haul. I'd rather say "Oh heck, two pieces of candy aren't going to ruin my day" than "OH NO! I HAD 2 PIECES OF CANDY!! I KNEW I COULDN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT"

Well, there's a fine line between rational self-talk and rationalization ... I don't want to be a bore ... Bottom line, I still feel pretty great about today. A two-hour group ride will do that for ya ...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:41 am

Yes...
Be kind to yourself when you have little screwups...
They aren't worth a full out beating up session!
You are doing great!
Keep up the great exercise!!!!!!

Go Betsy go!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:00 am

Saturday and Sunday, days D9 and D10 ... went great.

I didn't overdo the eating but I definitely took in my share of simple sugars this weekend ... when I tote up the peaches, orange juice, grape juice sweet corn, bananas, and tea-biscuits I ate today and yesterday, it's quite a lot of sugar ... a bit off-putting actually ... perhaps my carbohydrate cravings of the last week are finally coming to an end.

Probably during this coming week I ought to try focus a little more on things like tunafish and black-eyed peas and hamburger ...

I walked a little yesterday and today but no big exercise ... hot and humid again :( I took a look at my notes from the last 30 days or so and I have exercised vigorously about every other day on average, which is very good, for me anyway.

When I went on the bike ride Friday afternoon I noticed that it took a lot more to get me fatigued than the first couple of rides I went on in April and May.

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:31 am

I don't think you are eating enough. Your plan from the other day:

B: coffee, cream, peach
L: milk & cocoa, 2 ears of buttered sweet corn
D: chocolate milk, chickpea-tomato-parsley salad on whole wheat pita, plain yogurt, mixed fruit

Also, the above meals have a lot of carbs, that is why I think you have been craving sugar. Maybe if you included more protein meals it would help with the carb cravings and also because you are exercising a lot your body needs protein.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:25 pm

Snazzybabe, I appreciate your concern about my diet, but it is unfounded.

I typically drink a glass of milk with every meal, and it's so typical I often don't bother to list it, so I suppose a couple of my daily entries appear short on food. And I sometimes forget to list everything I ate.

A person my size only needs 40 to 60 grams of protein a day. I'm probably eating enough protein to make a whole Bangladeshi family envious, I'm sorry to say.

And, I wasn't going to bring it up, but these are the carb cravings at regular intervals that many women are familiar with.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:58 pm

Besty, you really shouldn't feel obligated to account for and scrutinize what you are eating in defense of *whatever* on this board... Unless you want to, that is!
We all know you are a big girl!!!
I trust you are doing exactly what you need to do in your life and eating!
Yay Tomato and sweet corn girl!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:48 pm

Day D11 ... so far so good

B: coffee, milk, half bagel w/ cream cheese
L: other half the bagel w/ cream cheese, tomato sandwich, milk, peach
D: half a whole-wheat pita stuffed with chickpea salad & a smear of labneh (very thick yogurt like sour cream); slice of kashkaval cheese; raspberries

Exercise: walk to store (about to go do that right now)

This chickpea salad is super easy and really good ... just combine canned rinsed chickpeas with chopped tomato, chopped sweet onion, minced fresh parsley and chopped cukes ... add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil and couple of teaspoons of vinegar (I like to use champagne vinegar) and a sprinkling of salt ... (don't ask me where to get the black salt, OK) ... and mix ... If you like hummus, which is mostly pureed chickpeas, you may find this salad to your liking.

Tomorrow morning I have my usual long and sometimes tedious meeting where I usually feel passing-out hungry. Funny ... with me the unbearable kind of hunger always seems to be triggered when I'm stuck in a boring meeting. Now what's up with that?

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:32 am

Day D12: Success

B: coffee, milk, peach, orange juice
L: half pita with chickpea salad; milk & cocoa; slice of sheep's milk cheese
D: tunafish sandwich on whole wheat; 2 ears of sweet corn; peach

I haven't had much vigorous exercise in a few days ... hot, and the pool is now closed :( ... but at least I went for a walk again tonight.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:37 am

With some help from my fiance, who has promised to send me a bill for services, I am now able to post the following "before" and "during" pictures.

Before:

Above: I was in San Francisco for a city planning conference. I heard it was kind of a wild place, so I wore a helmet.

No, but seriously ... I went on a 10-mile urban bike ride with all these other urban planners. I never would have signed up had I known we would be merging with freeway traffic, and all that sort of thing. However, once I was in, I was in, and I managed to finish. This event convinced me that I was some kind of hard core cycling chick, ha ha, and I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if this marks the beginning of the end of Potatohood for me?" That was back in March and I'm happy to say I've kept biking and doing other things, as you all know, since that time.

During:
This is me about two weeks ago, about ten pounds lighter than the previous picture.
OK, the things I am holding are NOT: a beer cup and a jello shot.
Rather, they are: candles for a peace vigil.
Beer is not appropriate at a peace vigil.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:29 am

Betsy!!!!!!!!
You are a cutie pie!!!! Good to see you!!!
Your "during" photo definitely shows a big difference in your face!
Ten pounds has a very noticeable impact!

Glad you and your (frugal) fiance have patched things up and are back in cahoots!
Tell him where you will be sending the bill! LOL..

You look great!
Keep up the "antipotato" routine!
Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:59 am

Betsy, you are so pretty and have such a friendly face!! And it makes me happy that you were at a peace vigil. You rock.

Mandy

Kevin

peace vigil?

Post by Kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:22 pm

I violently disagree with your statements about attending a peace vigil.

Beer is appropriate everywhere, at all times, except when you are, or will soon, operate a motor vehicle.

P.S. This is not a political statement. It's a statement in support of beer.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Blondie

Re: peace vigil?

Post by Blondie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Kevin wrote:I violently disagree with your statements about attending a peace vigil. Beer is appropriate everywhere, at all times, except when you are, or will soon, operate a motor vehicle.
...or if the peace vigil is being sponsored by AA.

I tend to agree with the general support of beer...I used to work at a microbrewery. ;)

navin

Post by navin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:30 pm

Betsy!!!!!!!!
You are a cutie pie!!!! Good to see you!!!
Your "during" photo definitely shows a big difference in your face!
Ten pounds has a very noticeable impact!
Me too. (er... I agree, that is..)

Really you're not too shabby in the "before" either - could be the subtle psychological association of the bicycle helmet with general health and fitness.

Either way, keep up what you're doing!

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:34 pm

Betsy - You and Deb both win the "1,000 watt smile" contest! You look like a lot of fun, even without the brewsky.

Peetie

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm

Gee, thanks, you all!

OK, so maybe the candle is actually floating in a cup of cherry lambic. Don't tell anyone, pleeeease!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 pm

Blondie that was funny! I LOL'ed! :lol:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:25 pm

Okay, it is really fun to see all the photos of everyone. (I have no idea how to post an avatar, let alone a photo).

Betsy, I have to say you look so cute; exactly like I pictured you. What lovely photos! Sorry you had to bike ride around the City. That can be dangerous!

Maybe when Reinhard publishes and is on his book tour (after being on Oprah, of course), we can have a No S Fest.

Congrats on the 10 pound loss!!!!
Dru

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:34 am

Gee ... Thanks for the compliments, Dru!
cvmom wrote: Sorry you had to bike ride around the City. That can be dangerous!
Oh no, it was terrific!! it convinced me that I was up to much more activity than I would have thought. And it was not unsafe at all because San Francisco has such a wonderful system. And the drivers there are mostly very aware that cyclists, too, are road users.

It was when I got back to Raleigh that things got dicey. Hardly ever do I take my bike out that I don't get some kind of harassment, whether it's a drive-by redneck shouting something unintelligible out the window (hint to rednecks: I can't make out what you're saying, what with the Doppler effect), or a suburban driver dangerously riding my tail to show me that I'm going too "slow." :roll:

Me, thinking: "Yeah, well at least I'm not polluting the air and sending more oil profits to nations that hate us. Oh, yeah, and I'm losing weight, too!" :mrgreen:

Okay, so this is day D13 and it has been a success.
B: coffee, peach, milk, banana
L: large whole wheat pita, hummus, chicken salad, stuffed grape leaves, milk
D: 1/2 whole wheat pita, chickpea salad, orange juice, milk and cocoa, tomato sandwich

Kevin

Funny, funny, funny

Post by Kevin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:35 am

(hint to rednecks: I can't make out what you're saying, what with the Doppler effect),
While I've smiled and chuckled a lot, reading this was the first laugh out loud moment I've had at this site.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Me, thinking: "Yeah, well at least I'm not polluting the air and sending more oil profits to nations that hate us. Oh, yeah, and I'm losing weight, too!"
I repeat: you rock.

About catcalls, too: Usually I smile innocently and wave and sometimes chirp "hi!"--it usually disarms them long enough for me to walk (or jog) away before they've even noticed, and generally they're less egged on than they would be if I flipped them off or even ignored them.

I wish I liked cycling more. It's so much quicker than walking. :? [/list]

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:22 pm

Thanks, Kevin and Blondie! You made me feel really good!

And, I'm glad you did because I kind of needed cheering up today after the thing that happened this morning. I got my bike out to go to a business meeting. (The governor is asking everyone in N.C. to conserve gasoline because we get most of our gas from the pipelines that run near New Orleans and since those are not operating we are expected to run out of what we have locally in 5 to 7 days. ) Well I was riding along when I was accosted and aggressively harassed by a pedestrian (??!!?). He behaved in a very ugly and inexplicably hostile and angry way and said many abusive things. I don't believe in getting ugly back, so I feel quite abused. I am trying to remember that his reactions are not my fault.

Maybe his house just burned down or his SUV just crashed or something and he is having a hard time and is lashing out.

Or, maybe he was role-playing. AFter all, he was wearing the Raleigh Alpha Male costume. (WASP, polo shirt, khakis, Oakley shades) Sort of like a Civil War re-enactor, but from the 1980's, you know what I mean? There could be people who are into that. They walk around on the street and act like Gordon Gekko or Michael Milken for kicks. A kind of performance artist. I should have checked for a hat on the sidewalk with dollar bills in it.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:35 pm

Betsy:

That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard. I'm so sorry that you were being harrassed. What is wrong with some people??? Are there just not that many cyclists in Raleigh?

And here you are trying to do your part!!!! What a nasty piece of work that guy was.

Well, don't worry. There is Karmic Justice.

Thank you for doing your part, my friend.

Dru

P.S. The Raleigh Alpha Male Costume comment had me laughing out loud.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:54 pm

I believe that people, like you, who try to see others' points of view end up being much happier, too. I mean, wouldn't I rather believe that another person who curses me out on the Metro for no apparent reason is an otherwise good and happy person that is having a bad day rather than conceding the decline of humanity?

It's definitely hard to take this attitude. Empathy is hard. Here's an example that I've recently tried to embrace. I have often heard friends an acquaintances become exasperated when someone gets on an elevator to ride up (or particularly, down) one floor. I understand their point: we in this country are often lazy (I think we can agree that I, Mandy Blondie, advocate exercise!), taking the stairs is good for cardio health, stopping every floor is annoying, etc etc. And these friends always make the exception ("oh, ok, it's fine if you're "disabled or something,") but people don't always think carefully enough that any given person out there--like Mandy Blondie--could have something going on that, yeah, taking a flight of stairs down is a problem. I had knee surgery last year. During one of the late stages of my recovery, I looked like I was fine while walking on flat ground--and even UP stairs was fine--but walking DOWN stairs hurt like the blazes. You just never know.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:55 pm

Plus, your role-playing thing made me laugh. Hard.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:12 pm

Betsy!!!! Some people simply are low down on the evolutionary scale!!!!
Loser bozos...
What in the world could have even instigated this moron to yell at you!???
Doy!!!!

I remember one time when I was attempting to do some jogging, back in the late nineties.... I wasn't exactly svelt at the time...
Well, some morons, from their car, yelled
"Move it fat ass"....

Well, you can imagine what a damper that was on my feelings of joy and enthusiam for jogging.... But after a few days I said, why should I let some (probably drunk) teenagers screaming obscenties from a car, ruin my fun!!!!!
But it really crushed me at the time...

Look man... Some people are mean, but it's the people who are happy with themselves who extend their happiness to others... So, chances are, those meanies aren't really very happy...
Or, possibility number two, this guy could be seriously psychotic....

Sorry you were someones target....
Ridiculous!!!!!
Nice people sometimes get stepped on.....

Hugs Betsy!!!!
There was nothing you did, and it was *all about him* the wack job~~~~~~

Love,
8) Deb
Next time I say, throw a big tomato at him!!!!! :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:14 pm

PS... Get your fiance, Navin to hit this guy with a Hockey puck!!!!!

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:17 am

Maybe his house just burned down or his SUV just crashed or something and he is having a hard time and is lashing out.
Or he could just be an "a" hole, you never really know! Either way I think you handled it superbly.. why let his problems become yours?

And besides, even with that incident you're *still* conserving gas and losing weight.. :)

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:18 am

About catcalls, too: Usually I smile innocently and wave and sometimes chirp "hi!"--it usually disarms them long enough for me to walk (or jog) away before they've even noticed, and generally they're less egged on than they would be if I flipped them off or even ignored them.
And that quite nicely sums up the differences between men and women in that regard... I'd love to get catcalls every now and then. :)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:40 am

Hey, thanks, everyone!

Nathan, this catcall is for you, baby! :wink:

Deb, I'll be sure and carry a tomato on me from now on. But it'll have to be from the supermarket. I wouldn't want to waste a homegrown tomato on a jerk!

This is day D14 and it went reasonably well. (all things considered)

B - coffeemilk, brioche bun, peach. Wow, I am getting fancy now. I never had a brioche before.
L - pita bread & chickpea salad (what else is new); yogurt
Afternoon snack (sigh) - ice cream to make headache brought on by jerk go away
D1 - tomato sandwich
D2 - (yeah well the sandwich just wasn't very filling) sushi

I went for two bike rides.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:53 pm

Nathan:

What would we do without your posts???? They crack me up.

Big Cat Call from California.....D.

Betsy...I think an apple would be a nice thing to throw. Ping.

D.

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:36 pm

Hey, thanks, everyone!

Nathan, this catcall is for you, baby! Wink

Deb, I'll be sure and carry a tomato on me from now on. But it'll have to be from the supermarket. I wouldn't want to waste a homegrown tomato on a jerk!
Thanks! That sure beats the cat calls I normally get... cats meowing earlyin the morning, calling me to give them food...

I wouldn't waste a homegrown tomato either. Nor even a store-bought one. Rather, try one that may have been sitting around too long, or is way overripe.. they splatter a lot better. :)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:16 am

Well here it is 10 pm on a Friday night and I am home as is typical :neutral:

Today was reasonably successful ... I had a bunch of cherry drops ... but it was after 5:00 so I suppose it was technically an S day ... but I hadn't really planned on starting in on the sweets so soon.

I just cannot figure out why sweets have so much appeal for me right now. I had no problem at all for several weeks of No-S-ing, including some very tempting situations, so why the breakdown in willpower now?

I think it might be because I am doing too much "virtual plating." I've been spreading out the components of my three meals so much that it's really more like a series of snacks. Perhaps this blurs the boundary so much that the programmatic aspect is broken down too far and my willpower goes slack as a result. Hmmm. I think I'm on to something.

Another factor is that I have had snacks and sweets in the house a lot since I came back from vacation three weeks ago. If it's not in the house, I don't seem to have much of a problem. I just didn't keep any kind of S food around at all the first several weeks I did no-S, and that really worked out well.

B: Coffeemilk, peach, banana
L: Milk, tomato sandwich, half pita with chickpea salad, orange juice
S: cherry drops
D: Peanut-butter-and-jelly sammich, some (baked) potato chips, and a glass of Riesling (sophisticated, huh?)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:31 am

Make it harder to get to those sweets Betsy..
If keeping your home a "sweet safe house" and you have to haul yourself out everytime you have a craving, you might be less prone towards caving in...

That idea you had about too much virtual plating, somehow doesn't seem as significant as this second reason you mentioned...
Sweets seem to really be in a class of their own, in the S's hierarchy...
They are just tough to resist...
I mean, it's your call, but my intuition says, you just don't need the extra "in your face" call of desserts in the home...

I certainly can't pretend they aren't around when they are, no matter how much I try to "hide" them behind frozen peas or whatever in the fridge..
If there is ice cream, there's no hiding place good enough for me...
I've experimented enough times, with bad results, by trying to keep cake or cookies around the house.. It just don't work for me.. I don't care if it seems like someone might have the greatest Willpower by resisting temptations like this... I'd rather have the greatest ass...et!!!
Hee hee!!!

Too bad you don't live nearer or I'd say come by so we could have a sophisticated glass of Riesling together! LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:59 am

I second what Deb says about having snacks/sweets in the house. That always gets me in trouble... so on S days I'll pick up invididual snacks, but avoid getting, say, a dozen doughnuts or something. Snacks are the same way... food I pick up at the grocery store is either some generic item (e.g., flour, peanut butter) or will be included in a specific meal.

Have you ever attemptd to plan out, say, a few days or a week's worth of meals? I've found that it is usually worth the effort, especially for lunches... taking your typical recipe-for-a-family-of-four, halving it, and then using the leftovers for the next day's lunch is a tried-and-true technique too.

But then agian, that's just me.
Well here it is 10 pm on a Friday night and I am home as is typical :|
Well, I was hanging with a friend when we decided to hit the town and do something exciting. We ended up shopping for cooking utensils. :shock: And today it's even better... I plan on staying home alone and doing some much needed cleaning and work in the basement... just as soon as I'm finished procrastinating. See, you need to come down to KY and experience the raucous social scene here. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:31 am

So what did you choose Nathan? A whisk or a cheese grater?
No wait,,,
A Thermos! Oh yeah!!!
Wow you are a WILD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Betsy, I heard the soil is perfect in Kentucky for growing tomatoes!
(but I'm not sure how Nathans basement is :shock: ... That may be better for some strange mushrooms! :lol: LOL...)

Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:30 am

I only have a second to post my S-days ...

B: coffee, milk, peach
L: Wendy's cheeseburger, fries
S: orange-cream chocolates, baked potato chips
D: shrimp & scallops & tomato sauce on spaghetti, bread, 2 glasses red wine
exercise: walk & bike a little

B: coffee, milk, orange juice
L: sausage & lentil soup, bread
D: gin & tonic, corn on cob, potato salad, chicken thigh, small turkey sausage, green beans
exercise: bike about three miles

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Cleaning the basement would almost be an improvement on Raleigh nightlife. Deb, I would love to have a glass of Riesling with you! Maybe we should all gather in Nathan's basement and convert it to a wine cellar.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:08 pm

Yeah, I can imagine... You know that lady who sang
"I love the night life..."
I don't think she was from Raleigh... LOL..

Have a nice day Bets!
Love,
8) Deb