Samurai's "Journal of Self-Discipline"

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Samurai's "Journal of Self-Discipline"

Post by Samurai » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:48 pm

B: Migas (diced corn tortillas, fried with eggs), 2 pc. bacon, 1/2 12" flour tortilla (!), and 2 big styrofoam cups of iced tea w/ sweet n' low.

NOTE: This plate is served on a platter w/ refried beans and fried potatos. I did not avail myself of these items nor did I eat the entire amount of migas, or an entire tortilla. :D

L: Two crunchy tacos, two chicken legs (no batter), spoonful of Spanish rice w/ beans, and 2 glasses of iced tea w/ sweet n' low.

NOTE: This was at a Mexican restaurant, buffet-style. I had one serving of food only, on one plate, whilst my dining companions ate at least two plates of food, each. :D

ACTIVITY: 2 hours outdoor volleyball.

:!: ALERT: Don't forget your water if you want to avoid drinking caloric beverages during an outing!

1 12 oz. Coors Lite :oops:

D: 1 can Campbells Chunky Roasted Chicken Soup, w/Potatoes & Garlic, shredded cheddar cheese on top, 2 pc. 100% whole wheat toast, tea w/ sweet n' low.

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS
Last edited by Samurai on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Kevin

embarrasment

Post by Kevin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:38 pm

Were you embarassed because you drank a beer, or because you insulted the beer gods by drinking a Coors light?

I think of beer as proof that God loves me, personally. Because I can only take so much love (I'm from New England), I limit myself to one very good one a day, with dinner.

Best regards.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 pm

More embarrassed that I forgot to bring water to an an athletic, albeit recreational, outing than anything else. :) The temp is in the high 90's and very humid, its important to stay hydrated (not that beer will help in that regard, mind you.)

I try to avoid caloric beverages altogether on No S days, beer included. I've stopped drinking coffee for the same reason, as I can't stand to drink it black. And althought it may seem like a huge sacrifice to some, it isn't something thats been to difficult or undesirable for me (yet.)
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:01 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 211.8

B: Migas, 2 pc. bacon, small portion of refried beans, 1/2 medium flour tortilla, 2 lg. sytrofoam cups iced tea.

L: Two grilled-cheese sandwiches on 100% whole wheat bread, and...
a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi! ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!! LOL!!!

*sigh*

and so begins the rapid descent into diet hell...

add to that: (1) 20 oz. Mt. Dew, (1) 20 oz. Lime Pepsi, (1) Bar Nestle Caramel Crunch;

and,

D: half a plate of beef nachos w/ sour cream and jalapenos, and 1/2 a pitcher of lite beer !! :cry:

TODAY WAS A DIET FAILURE

This perhaps helps explain my fascination with the Samurai. Their utter devotion to discipline and self-control is a character trait that I sorely lack (particularly where diet is concerned), but admire deeply and thus strive to cultivate in my own nature.

But anyway... at least I didn't have seconds!! :?
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:10 pm

Yay Samurai Allen!!!!
You know, Summer does start with an S.... I wonder if a once in a while beer, could be considered okay, if we think of this season as one long S season! LOL.... :lol:
Let's face it... I doubt you will drink as much during winter and/or have ice creams etc...
Well. Enjoy walking that "strictness" line!
You are doing great :D
Peace and Love,
8) Deb...
PS... Congrats on giving up coffee! I could not see that happening any time soon for me, though it probably would help in many ways...
To me, *that* is a serious sign of strong Willpower!!!!
You are hardcore!!!!!!!!!

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:49 pm

Deb
It wasn't the beer and coffee that were killing me; its the 3-4 20 oz bottles of Pepsi and Mt. Dew I was drinking every day that were doing me in. It was / is much more difficult for me to kick the soda habit than either coffee or beer.

We all have our diet demons, they just taste different. :lol:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 pm

If I wanted to make migas for breakfast tomorrow morning, how would I do that? Are the eggs scrambled? Cooked in butter? What kind of seasoning goes on it?

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:50 pm

Jan, I'll have to get back to you on that. I have never made them, I've enjoyed them only by the hands of others. I'll ask someone who knows how to make them and post it here.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:25 pm

I did a Yahoo search for "migas" and got lots of recipes. Looks wonderful! I will take what looks like a typical recipe and try that. Eggs, salsa, green chiles, corn tortillas; will add cheese for hubby. I am really looking forward to this!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:28 pm

Samurai, sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I love the title of your check-in thread. We're not keeping track of carbs, calories, or pounds here (except maybe occasionally the last) but of our decisions. Nice bold, status entries, too, -- bound to impress the hell out of your animal nature.

As for the soda habit, maybe you're giving up too much at once? If soda keeps undoing you, maybe giving up caloric but not that caloric coffee and beer is a bit premature. You need to give your appetite something in exchange for forsaking soda, or it's not going to stay in its cage.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:20 am

Hey Samurai,

I fixed Migas for breakfast this morning for my husband and me. Wonderful dish, we both enjoyed it a lot!

Samurai

Mark Twain

Post by Samurai » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:32 pm

With apologies to Mr. Twain,

"The report of my dietary demise was an exaggeration." :lol:

Although I felt dishonored by my last dietary failure, I didn't think it egregious enough to commit diet seppoku. 8)

On the contrary, my hiatus from the PC (is that personal computer or politically correct?) has only strengthened my resolve. Secured by further personal, anecdotal evidence, I'm certain that No S is the perfect structure for dietary control without sacrificing social custom!

I'll be updating soon, for those of you who were keeping track along with me. :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:55 pm

Welcome back, Samurai. You had the daimyo worried! Don't feel pressure to post daily if that's annoying. I should probably remove that qualifier from this forum, since even I, strictly speaking, don't do it.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:34 am

All I want to know is, does "Spurs" start with an "S". :lol:

Samurai

DAY 1

Post by Samurai » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:20 pm

Now that the NBA playoffs are over I can go back to my normal schedule. I was eating a little too much and drinking a few too many beers and having too much fun to worry about keeping track of my daily diet log.

But Spurs begins with "S", so its all good! :D

HT: 5'10" WT: 210 DAY 1

[Notice that my weight went down despite the copious amount of food and brew I consumed? I wish there was something to that! LOL]

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk w/ 8 oz. water (protein shake), 1 cup fresh strawberries.

L: Two sandwiches w/ 100% whole wheat bread, of 100% All-Natural peanut butter, two small apples, 1 glass of Classic Orange Crystal Light (similar to old-fashioned Tang.)

D: 1 bowl of pinto beans w/ chopped onions & cherry tomatoes, liberally spiced, 4 flour tortillas, 1 frosty mug of cold lite beer, and a peach.

Yes, it all fit on one plate, including the bowl of beans. The tortillas involved some slight overlap but they all fit on the plate. The peach sat to the side of the bowl quite nicely, thank you!

The amazing thing is this amount of food still carries a whopping 900+ calories!

TODAY WAS A HUGE SUCCESS !
Last edited by Samurai on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Samurai

DAY 2

Post by Samurai » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:53 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 209.8 DAY 2

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk, 1 toasted 100% whole wheat bagel w/ butter, and 1/2 cup strawberries.

L: 1/2 plate of bowtie pasta in spicy marinara sauce w/ parmesan cheese, chunk off the end of a loaf of Italian bread, 2 glasses of iced tea w/ lemon, sweet n' low, 1 large red pear.

SUCCESS NOTE: I avoided the high calorie lunch specials, like lasagna, and ate only a small chunk of bread off the end of the loaf. Back in the day I would have had that loaf and another, thank you very much, dipped in olive oil to boot!

Not only did I stay the course midway through Day 2 but I am also not suffering from overeater's indigestion. :wink:

SUCCESS NOTE: I went to a matinee with my sons before dinner this afternoon and DID NOT SUCCUMB TO THE SMELL OF THEATER POPCORN! My son's gnawing on red licorice that we always used to share made my mouth water, but I remembered the anguish I felt when I used to indulge, knowing I was self-sabotaging my other fitness and weight loss goals. So I took another big swig out of my water bottle and guess what - IT WENT AWAY. YES!

D: 1 plate of rice, stir-fried veggies w/ lemon pepper and soy sauce, 1 glass of Crystal Light Peach Tea, and 1 medium nectarine.

TODAY WAS A HUGE SUCCESS!
Last edited by Samurai on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Samurai

DAY 3

Post by Samurai » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:47 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 210.6 DAY 3

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk w/ 8 oz. of water, 1 bowl of bran flakes w/ vanilla soy milk, and a banana.

L: Two sandwiches of 100% whole wheat bread w/ Smucker's 100% All-Natural peanut butter, 1 banana, 1 glass Raspberry Ice Crystal Light.

NOTE: Although my instincts were telling me differently, I anticipated while preparing my lunch that this amount of food would be inadequate. I originally intended to add a second piece of fruit to top off the meal. However, I found myself quite stuffed half-way through the banana and finished the meal there. The sandwiches and banana were enough for one plate of food anyway, so the fact that I became full before finishing the meal reinforced the No S principle that ONE PLATE OF FOOD IS SUFFICIENT PER MEAL.

D: Two burritos stuffed with spanish rice, green chile, and tomato; a small handful of roasted, in-the-shell peanuts, a frozen mug of cool lite beer, and a nectarine.

Despite the lessons I learned just a few hours ago at lunch, I decided to have some peanuts after I finished the burritos because I thought I'd be hungry later. In retrospect I don't think they were necessary and ruined the 'purity' of the No S meal for me, because although they technically fit on one plate with the burritos and the fruit, they weren't in the 'spirit' of the meal, if that makes any sense. Two No S lessons in one day, hopefully I've finally grasped the idea ONE PLATE OF FOOD IS SUFFICIENT PER MEAL! :lol:

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!
Last edited by Samurai on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:25 pm

Sounds like you're really doing well, Samurai! Congratulations on your willpower at the theatre: Samurai vs. Popcorn. :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:02 pm

I love the huge font on your huge successes. Keep it up. I shall refrain from commenting on whether "spurs" starts with S :wink:
Last edited by reinhard on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:51 am

Thanks for the kind comments!

That popcorn stand didn't have a chance against the katana. You should have seen it - it looked like it was raining popcorn! :lol:

Samurai

DAY 4

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:49 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 208.8 DAY 4

B: Two eggs over medium, 4 slices of bacon, hash browns, and two slices whole wheat toast w/ butter, 1 glass of iced w/ lemon, sweet n' low.

SUCCESS NOTE: We went to the first showing of War of the Worlds this morning right after breakfast. I wasn't even tempted by the popcorn cart this time. I knew when I walked through the doors that I wasn't having any, and didn't want any. This may not seem like a big deal, but as a frequent movie-goer who always believed part of the real pleasure of going to the theater was indulging in popcorn, licorice and coca-cola, this is a real breakthrough for me.

L: A chipped beef BBQ sandwich, 1/2 a small pack of plain potato chips, and a medium cup of iced tea w/ lemon, sweet n' low.

ALERT: We spent the day outdoors playing miniature golf, riding go-carts and climbing the rock wall. It was extemely hot and humid. Late in the afternoon I succumbed to my thirst and split a bottle of gatorade with my son. IMO this is technically an S-drink and should be avoided during the week; however, I'm making a personal exception for today because of the need to stay hydrated.

Next time I'll stick to water and replace the minerals later.

D: Half an order of fajita nachos deluxe, w/ beef, beans, cheese, jalapenos, and sour cream, and half a pitcher of lite beer.

Back in the day, I used to have this idea of starting my S-days Friday at 6 PM, and ending the weekend Sunday at 6 PM, counting sunset to sunset like the Hebrew calendar. This was merely a contrivance that would allow me to pig-out Friday nights at the local pub with my friends. (The old adage, 'you're only fooling yourself certainly applies here. :oops:)

But I now realize that its an unnecessary contrivance, as I still enjoy myself, and keep within the limits set by No S, even though the calorie content of such a "No S approved" meal is probably extremely high nontheless.

With everything I've learned today, despite the Gatorade and the plus-size plate of nachos, I consider this day to be a... HUGE SUCCESS! :D

Samurai

Day 5 [S-Day]

Post by Samurai » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:57 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 210.2 DAY 5 S-DAY

B: 1 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi, sausage biscuit from Whataburger. :roll:

L/D: Five slices of hand-tossed pepperoni pizza, two large glasses of Pepsi.

Snack: Its movie rental night at our house, so I'll probably have some popcorn and more Pepsi to round out the evening.

NOTE: Regarding dinner, this is less than I would have normally eaten pre-NoS, but more than I would have had on a No S day. I actually felt full at two slices, but I ate more because it tasted good, and, well, its the way "I always eat pizza." But I realize now that I'm dealing with a new paradigm, and that even on S-Days I should listen to my er, gut, and stop eating when full.

I don't know if we're rating S-Days as success or failure, but I think today deserves a resounding SUCCESS! simply for the lessons learned.

Samurai

Day 6 [S-Day]

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:28 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 210.8 DAY 6 S-DAY

EXERCISE: 20 minute run, 7.5 minute shovelglove

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk w/ 8 oz. 2% lowfat milk, 1 cinnamon roll w/ orange icing.

L: Chili's Peppercorn burger w/ bleu cheese crumbles, onion strings, and sauteed onions and peppers from my side order, in lieu of fries; 4 glasses of iced tea w/ lemon, sweet n' low (its HOT outside!)

S: 1 20 oz. Pepsi

S: 2 small plums

D: 1/4 plate of fajita nachos deluxe, w/beef, beans, cheese, jalapenos and sour cream, 1/2 pitcher of lite beer, 1/2 chocolate tuxedo cheesecake. :D

S: 1 24 oz. Mountain Dew.

Whew! And to think I used to eat this way EVERY DAY! Blech! :roll:
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:36 am

Hey Samurai San!
How can you be sure you didn't really do 8 minutes of SG? Are you watching the second hand on your clock! LOL... :P

Great idea to order sauteed veggies instead of fries! I'm gonna have to remember that one! Tasty with a fraction of the calories :D
You're doing great!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:11 am

Yes, Deb! I started at exactly 10:30, determined to mind the 14 minute time limit. My muscles were on fire after a few sets so I checked my watch to see how long it had been. Much to my chagrin, it said: 10:37:34. I remember when I first started shovelglove, I was in much better shape and could easily swing the hammer for 15-20 minutes before beginning to feel tired.

*sigh*

The run took 20 minutes because I stopped running at 20 minutes, and walked the last block or so home.

Samurai

DAY 7 [S-DAY]

Post by Samurai » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:29 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 211.6 DAY 7 S-DAY

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk, 100% whole wheat bagel w/ butter, an apple.

L: 2 slices of pizza, one veggie / one pepperoni, 1 glass of ice-cold Pepsi, followed by a waffle cone full of Cookie! Cookie! Cookie ice-cream from Spanky's Ice Cream Parlor! YUMMMMM! A belly-rubber for sure! :lol:

D: 1 thin T-bone steak, two slices 100% whole wheat bread, a frozen mug of Pepsi on ice.

Last 7 days average weight +/-: + .25 lb.
Start/Current/Goal: 210/211.6/185
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

The scale trap......

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Hey Samurai!
Three things... Firstly, you are doing great, so never ever forget it...
Sometimes it's harder to do exercise than other days...
If your arms are feeling like they are on fire, you may be going at it too forcefully... I suggest when your arms feel that way, use the rest of the time to metaphorically, "jog in place"... Like Reinhard has said in the past, even just holding the SG and wiggling it around will fulfill your commitment to your 14 minutes on habit...

Secondly, I think it's great that you did some jogging!!! Why even care that you had to walk some of it... Jogging is hard on the body and you sound like a fairly tall and big guy... As I see it, there's nothing but triumph to report there! Exercise feels different to me every day I do it...
Some days I'm loaded with energy, others it's really tough to just do anything... I wouldn't assume you are in less good shape than when you started out... This is just how you are today,,,, right now....

Thirdly, do what you please, re: weighing yourself, but here's a little suggestion... Seems like you are weighing more than once a week, and even down to the "ounces" lost/gained.....
This kind of rigorously precise measurement, in my opinion, actually clouds the view of what's really going on with you and your development as a person on a quest to change.... It isn't very helpful, I feel, to weigh that much and scrutinize every ounce... Better to keep your focus on the complete picture, and perhaps, just weigh in once a week....
For me, if I step on the scale for validation that I'm going in the right direction, but it doesn't say exactly what I need to hear right then and there, I get very frustrated and dissappointed.... Maybe this isn't true for you... But I think I'm seeing a pattern here, and I think you will do yourself a favor to take the focus off your scale and moreso put it on all the good behavioral things you are doing.... I personally don't weigh myself more than once every 2 or 3 weeks.... This, I have come to realize, is way more humane.....And don't feel like you are obligated to progress, just in terms of numbers.... Those numbers are very innacurate sometimes...Muscle does weigh three times as much as fat, so strength training and weight loss can be very hard to evaluate just in terms of number of pounds....If I have a "crazy" eating anomaly or know from how I feel (bloated or my clothes are tight....) I simply avoid weighing like the plague... I *know* I've gone up in weight...
I don't need to torture myself by "confirming" this knowledge... Instead, I focus on what I have done that day, which I can feel good about, not bad... Conversely, when I know I've been very active and I'm actually feeling different in a good way, ie: I notice that my "love handles" are smoothing out, that's usually when I choose to weigh myself...

Well I thought I'd just write this, not just specifically for you Samurai, but for all of us as a reminder to not get stuck on the negative, and to see the forest, not just the trees....
I respect you very much for all the great stuff you have been working on... You are a winner!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Samurai, I agree with Deb. You are doing well and should be proud of it. Don't weigh yourself too often, and, even then, just use the numbers as a general idea of what you might actually weigh at that particular moment in time. Scales aren't good for much more than that.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:46 pm

Heck, the way some bathroom scales are calibrated they can be as much as a pound or two off just by the way they're tilting on the floor.
I echo Deb - be proud of your accomplishments, and let the 'numbers' be.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

Samurai

Re: The scale trap......

Post by Samurai » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:29 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the support, everyone! :)

I agree with all of you, in that I am doing great so far. I am not in the least upset with myself for gaining a 1/4 lb or whatever. My outlook on weight loss and No S is a little different, perhaps, than others. I only get upset when I do not stick to the program, e.g. my experience a couple of weeks ago when I succumbed to the Pepsi-Demon's advances. Hence the title of my check in thread. Its not a journal of weight loss, its a journal of self-discipline, and so far I've done well.

Nor am I bothered that I walked for the last block or whatever of my run. My goal was to run: 20 minutes. I ran out 10 minutes and turned around, I simply didn't make it back in 20 minutes, thats all. When the 20 minutes was up, I walked the rest of the way, no problem.

When I use the sledge, I use it like a weapon. I'll throw in a few rowing movements, some 'bag lifts' and what not, but for the most part I use it as a strength and aerobic conditioning tool, trying to eke out as much effort as possible in as short a time as possible. I'll go as long as I can each time, up until I reach 14 minutes. I won't exceed 14 minutes because I like Reinhard's concept of the 'least statistically significant time frame.'

And trust me, Deb, I am in MUCH worse shape than when I began SG. I was capable of 45 minutes of hard core calisthenics followed by a 3-5 mile run back then. (How quickly fades youth, eh? LOL) I stopped exercising and didn't mind my diet anymore, so as a consequence I gained several pounds and lost ground in my aerobic conditioning and strength training. Its there, it just needs to be prodded out of its slumber.

Weighing myself every day doesn't bother me. If you notice, weight may fluctuate from day to day, and throughout the day, by more than a pound. I understand the complexities of weight gain or loss, because of salt and water retention, uneliminated waste by-products, and so on. I like to average the weight gained and lost throughout the week and track it weekly, by averages instead of by how much weight is lost or gained on a single, particular day's weigh-in. Obviously, in the long run if my weight continues to climb I must realize that I need to add more exercise and / or reduce portion sizes, and perhaps cut back on S-Day fun. No matter whether we count calories or plates of food per day, its still a numbers game: you have to burn more than you take in to lose weight.

I hope that the tracking of my weight and the way I post to my daily check in thread won't keep everyone from popping in and saying hi. I appreciate the encouragement and like to think *someone* is reading of my heroic battles with the Cinemark Popcorn Cart!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:58 pm

Just popping in to say "hi".

I enjoy reading your posts, so please keep it up. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:22 am

Haha ha!!! Samurai San!
I am the queen of "reading into stuff" today it seems! LOL..
I guess I was concerned that you seemed
"Chagrined" and then you wrote that "Sigh" thing...
I was just trying to be, uh, encouraging! LOL....
I assumed you were seeming a little bummed but it was just a misread on my part.

I'm glad you are feeling so strong and focused on discipline of your body and mind! Weigh yourself every ten minutes if that doesn't bother you, and forgive me if I was being preachy... I personally HATE most scales (which is why I smashed mine last year with my Shovelglove! LOL!!)
Well, as for getting out of and back into shape, I just say, Carpe Diem!
I like myself ten times better than I did in my youth, I am working much harder for myself... The physical gains may be harder to attain at this point, but they are that much more satifying to me now... And it is so much fun to have friends to share this experience with! Eh right?...

Of course we are reading your journal! We are your partners in the battle of the popcorn cart!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 am

Thanks for popping in, Jan. :D

Deb, no need to apologize or anything. I can see why it seemed I might have been upset, what with all that chagrin making chin sag n' sigh. Its just the way I write, I think, trying to make it a little interesting to write as well as to read.

Thanks again for all the words of support everyone!

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:47 am

Okay, so you battle popcorn carts and use your shovelglove as a weapon...

I'm picturing a guy in full samurai gear, armed with a sledgehammer, challenging the popcorn cart to a duel and then smashing it to bits. :lol:
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:55 am

Thats EXACTLY the image I'm striving for, Sibyl! Perfect! LOL :lol:

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 am

Just be careful of flying unpopped kernals...they can be deadly!

Samurai

DAY 8

Post by Samurai » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:04 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 211.6 DAY 8

B: 1 large styrofoam cup of iced tea, w/lemon, sweet n' low.

L: Joe's House Special: 1 slice beef fajita, 1 taco, 1 enchilada, 2 flour tortillas, chips n' salsa, 2 glasses iced tea w/lemon, sweet n' low.

:!: ALERT: See what happens when you skip breakfast? Lunch technically fit on one plate, er... platter, but only because I skipped the rice and bowlful of beans that came with it. I won't say that I broke the rule but I was definitely pushing the limits of 'one plate of food!' Note to self: DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!

NOTE: By the time I write this I would have normally downed a bottle of Pepsi to help wash down all that food, but I have refrained, and feel the better for it.

D: 1 BK Whopper plain, NO FRIES, 1 32 oz. iced tea w/sweet n' low.

EXERCISE: 2 hours recreational volleyball.

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!
Last edited by Samurai on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:38 pm

Samurai!
Congratulations on not having the Pepsi!
You Rock!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

PS... Where, generally speaking do you live again? You sure mention South Western food a lot... It's hard to read your posts without feeling my appetite stirring!
:wink:

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:38 am

Hey Deb
Thanks for the congrats. I live in South Texas, home of some of the most authentic Mexican food north of the Rio Grande River! :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:09 pm

Ah! That makes sense now... Between the mention of BBQ and Migas and all that tortilla stuff, I figured you either live next to a drive through Taco Bell/KFC, or Texas! :lol:
I could sure go for some chorizo and chille rellenos!
Hey, did you ever see the movie Like Water for Chocolate?
I'm presuming the landscape and the food, is pretty much like where you are! Well next time you cross the border, bring me back some cool huaraches and a bottle of habaneros! :P
Peace Love and Guacamole,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Samurai, it sounds like for you the daily weigh ins might be better than sporadic since you're less likely to be thrown by a single number. And the regular, merciless discipline goes better with the Samurai ethic.

Regarding skipped breakfast, I think of that Einstein quote, "everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." Skipping breakfast is making it "simpler." It's a seeming virtue that ensures an (over!) compensatory vice.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks for the support, Reinhard. I didn't see the comparison between the daily weigh in and the merciless Samurai theme, but its a good one and one I will use in the future to bolster my flagging discipline as needed.

I do hope that everyone on the board realizes that my fascination with the Samurai is rooted in cinema! I don't quite fancy myself the Samurai warrior, although I do admire their historical self-discipline, courage, honor, and loyalty. It seemed an apt image for someone trying to lose weight using self-discipline as their primary tool.

Somehow its hard to think of a historical Samurai having a weight problem. Some drawings make them appear a bit rotund but that could just be the armor. :P

Samurai

DAY 9

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:55 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 211 DAY 9

B: Scrambled egg w/ bacon pieces, lg. styrofoam cup iced tea, w/lemon, sweet n' low.

L: Chicken ceasar salad, (dressing on the side), 2 rather small chunks off a loaf of bread, 2 glasses iced tea w/lemon, sweet n' low.

1 20 oz. Pepsi One. I know diet colas aren't good for you, but I killed my craving for the real thing with the 1-calorie version. SUCCESS! :P

D: 1 BK Whopper, plain, iced tea w/ sweet n' low. Performed a bit of virtual plating - enjoyed a slice of watermelon outdoors late in the evening after dinner. It wasn't technically on a plate and wasn't eaten at the same time as the burger, but it *would have* fit on one plate, so thats good, right? :wink:

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!

Samurai

DAY 10

Post by Samurai » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:17 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 209.6 DAY 10

B: 1 serving Mocha Joe Muscle Milk, 1 banana, 8 oz. OJ.

L: 1 Vegetable juice comprised of 1 heart of Romaine, 2 lg. carrots, 1 sm. apple; and 6 nectarines, 1 small plum from a large salad bowl, eaten at poolside. :D

D: 1 BK Whopper, plain; 1 BK Whopper Jr, plain; 32 oz. iced tea w/sweet n' low.

EXERCISE: 2 hrs. recreational volleyball.

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!
Last edited by Samurai on Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:22 pm

Yay Samurai - glad to see such a big success!

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:23 am

Thanks, Sybil. I'm still learning. For example, I was starving at dinner, so I ordered two burgers, one small and one large. They would technically fit on one plate, so I'm okay as far as that goes, but the point is - it was still TOO MUCH FOOD.

I ate the small burger first, and was still a little hungry. So I ate the entire full-size Whopper, too and ended up feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And this was 1/2 hour before volleyball, too. :::blech:::

If I had eaten the big Whopper first, I would have known better than to start on the small one. Plus, I am having to learn that despite how hungry my stomach may SEEM at the time, it will still become full with a regular portion of food.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:36 am

Hey Samurai San!
Congrats on your successful day!!!
Hmmm? Starving by dinner? Perhaps a small suggestion on that....
Why not eat the veggies and fruit whole? Maybe rather than juicing them, you'll feel more filled if you include the entire fruit/veg with all that good filling fiber?....
Anyways, I think you are going strong, so just keep it up friend!
Oh also, what's mocha Joe muscle milk? Does it taste yummy? :D

8) Love,
Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 am

Hey Deb
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm already following it! I drank the vegetables, and ate the fruit. I was having a tropical moment this afternoon; the sun was high, it was hot with a nice breeze blowing in the palms, birds chirping and the water in the pool was a nice, crystal-clear blue. I enjoyed a few pieces poolside, and then ate another couple pieces while I reclined in the water at the edge of the pool. Talk about nice! And here I am a 1000 miles from Costa Rica, lol.

Muscle-Milk is a brand of protein shake that includes carbs, fats, and protein, in what is supposed to be the optimum configuration. 8) They come in a variety of cool flavors, like Mocha Joe, which has a chocolate / coffee taste; Orange Cream, Chocolate Mint Chip, Creme Brulee, etc. Very unique and so far everyone I've tried is good. One serving is about 380 calories; with milk you'll hit over 600, which is why I usually stick to water, as you might have noticed.

I'm not an advocate of supplementation per se; but if you want protein for breakfast and don't have time for eggs n' bacon, this is an easy and tasty way to get it. You can order it online from a number of places, just Google "Muscle Milk" and compare prices. Or just pick it up at your local GNC or health food store, although they likely won't have all of the eleven flavors in stock from which to choose.

Samurai

DAY 11

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:59 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 207 DAY 11

B: Migas w/ flour tortilla, ham slice, 2 glasses iced tea w/ sweet n' low.

L: 3 tacos al pastor (beef, cilantro, white cheese on a soft cooked corn tortilla, served flat), a spoonful or two of beans a la charra (basically bean soup), 2 glasses iced tea w/ lemon, sweet n' low.

D: 1/2 plate of fajita nachos, w/ cheese, beans, jalapenos, sour cream; 1/2 pitcher of lite beer.

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!
Last edited by Samurai on Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:24 pm

Ooh Samurai! Seems your successful days are going hand in hand with some nice numbers there!
That's very inspiring!
Congratulations and keep it up!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey Deb! Thanks for noticing. I'm willing to be my weight will go back up to around 208-209 by tomorrow morning. I think I lost a lot of water weight in the heat yesterday, playing volleyball. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure when I average out the lbs. over the week, I'll be at a lower weight by Day 14. But again, we'll see! Regardless, doesn't mean No S isn't working, ya know? :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Don't sell yourself short! Water weight, shmawter weight! Unless you go nuts eating very high sodium foods today, don't assume it will return tomorrow!
Infact drink loads of water today to counteract that possibility...
But really I wouldn't even check in on that scale... Let your good habits and your successful days be your indicators to watch... It will follow that you lose weight too!!!
Hey by the way, we are pretty much neck and neck weight wise here! Ha ha!!! LOL..Though I am seven inches shorter than you! Yikes!
Keep up the good energy and let's compare notes next year :D
Let us march into NoS glory together, eradicating fatness throughout the world, holding our Samurai swords high!!!

Volleyball is cool! :wink:
Spike one for me next time!!!
Peace,
8) Deb

Samurai

DAY 12 [S-DAY]

Post by Samurai » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:47 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 210 DAY 12 S-DAY

B: Short stack of pancakes (3), 8 pieces of bacon, 1 20 oz. Mountain Dew.

1 24 oz. Mountain Dew.

L: 1 Fudrucker's Bacon Cheeseburger w/ homestyle fries, 2 glasses Coke.

:!: 1 liter of Pepsi (appx.) :!:

NOTE: I ate breakfast around 10:30 AM, and lunch around 5:00 PM, so it was really more like lunch and dinner. The time now is a quarter til midnight, and I'm not hungry. But as I've drank copious amounts of cola all day long, this is probably a good thing. :?

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS! (Today was still a success, but in small font, not large.) :P

Samurai

DAY 13 [S-DAY]

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:39 pm

HT: 5'10" WT: 211.6 DAY 13 S-DAY

B: 1 vegetable juice, comprised of 1 head of romaine, 2 carrots, 10 cherry tomatoes.

16 oz. Pepsi

L: 2 grilled pork chops, small salad of romaine, cucumber, and carrot, dressed with Pompeii Red Vinegar, salt n' pepper. 1 frosty mug of ice-cold lite beer.

20 oz. Pepsi

D: 12 oz. T-bone, 3-4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, 1 bottle lite beer.

1 oz. Philadelphia cream cheese

20 oz. Pepsi

SO FAR SO GOOD!
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:00 pm

Hey Samurai!
What kind of juicer do you use? I'm thinking of investing in one, as I've been interested in juicing for some time.... How easy is it to clean?
How much juice does all that yield? Sounds mucho healthy :D
Hope you have a jamming day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:19 pm

Hey Deb
I use a Jack Lalanne power juicer. If anybody knows how to stay fit, its that guy!

His juicer is one of the best, IMO, because it has a wide mouth. You can fit almost an entire apple or piece of fruit into it at once instead of having to chop everything into itty bitty pieces. Saves a lot of time.

Clean up is fairly easy, just run most of the pieces under the faucet. You'll need a toothbrush to clean the filter, but that doesn't take long. Its easier than scrubbing grease off a skillet, for example. :)

This mornings head of romaine, couple carrots and cherry tomatoes yielded about 12 oz. of juice.

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi Samurai,

Congrats on the triumphs -- big and small -- of your will and self-discipline. You're doing great.

But I have to ask: have you seen the movie "Super Size Me"? If not, go rent it. I know No-S is more about food quantity than specific nutritional choices, but fast food is deadly for you, certainly in terms of weight control but more importantly in my view from general health.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing really well on your plan (Pepsi cravings notwithstanding... heh heh). But I expect you'd feel better and your body would respond better if you didn't poison it with fast food.

I don't mean to be hardcore about it, but I'm more than a little bitter because fast food is probably responsible for 120 of the 150 pounds I put on years ago....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Samurai

DAY 14

Post by Samurai » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:52 pm

HT: 5'10 WT: 208.8 DAY 14

Last 7 days average weight +/-: - 2.8 lbs.
Start/Current/Goal: 210/208.8/185

Let's just say, after the day I've had, I'll begin my "rehab" tomorrow.

See you at Day 1! Stay tuned! :P
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai

Supersize Me

Post by Samurai » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:58 pm

Freakwitch,
I've seen Supersize Me, its a great movie. Not only was it informational but funny as well.

As always, fast food is a matter of convenience and, really, a lack of preparation. I admit we eat way too much fast food in our home.We've been cutting back, believe it or not, despite what you have read here on this forum the past week.

Staying prepared and planning ahead are the best ways to beat the Fast Food Frankenstein monster. Stay tuned this week; I think you'll see improvements. :D

Samurai

DAY 1

Post by Samurai » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm

DAY 1

HT: 5.10 WT: 209.8 BF: 28.9% (Tanita)
START/CURRENT/GOAL: 209.8/209.8/185

B: Migas, refried beans, 2 slices bacon, 1 flour tortilla, styrofoam mug of iced tea w/sweet n' low.

L: Three tacos al pastor (fajita, white cheese, cilantro, w/avocado on corn tortillas), charro beans, 1 glass iced tea w/sweet n' low.

EXERCISE (OUTDOORS): 5 min. stretching, 20 min. shovelglove, walked 2 laps around the park toting the sledge.

D: 1 seasoned beef rib, grilled; 1 1/2 slices 100% whole wheat bread; canned peaches, drained and rinsed; and 16 oz. Raspberry Ice Crystal Light.

EXERCISE (OUTDOORS): 1 hour recreational volleyball.

1 recreational 12 oz. bottle of lite beer included. :lol:

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY.
Last edited by Samurai on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:18 pm

Anda le Samurai!!!
I just would give my left pinky toe to see the reactions on peoples faces at the local park!
You are my hero :lol:
Glad things are going well for ya!
Peace and love and refried beans,
8) Deb

Samurai

DAY 2

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:39 pm

DAY 2

HT: 5.10 WT: 207.8 BF: 29%

B: 1 lg. styrofoam mug of iced tea, w/ lemon, sweet n' low.

L: 1/4 loaf dry French bread w/ garlic butter; 1/4 'Cuban' sandwich, w/roasted pork, ham, & swiss cheese; 1/2 order Frenchi fries; 2 glasses iced tea, w/lemon, sweet n' low.
Last edited by Samurai on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:47 pm

Starting out Day 2 two pounds down is good... :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:21 pm

Mmmmm, haven't had tacos "al pastor" since the time when we were wandering around on foot in Chihuahua, Mexico. Definitely good eats.

Samurai

2 lbs of Tacos al Pastor

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:07 pm

Blondie, two lbs on Day 2 is definitely a good thing, but I won't get excited or depressed about day-to-day fluctuations. I have a lot of experience with tracking weight loss, and its the averages over a long period of time that can really tell you if your program is working for you.

Jan-Tz, the tacos al pastor are greasy but good. They're not a common staple of Mexican restaurant fare here, only a few restaurants will make them. Tacos galore (sounds like a new Mex fast food place huh?) but not many tacos al pastor! (He's a poet, and didn't know it.) :wink:

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:47 am

Yeah, Samurai, I'm trying to work out what to think about the scale. I am the opposite of you--I rarely weigh myself, so I don't have a great idea of what the fluctuations are going to be or what to expect. We'll see. Anyway, keep up the good work--your post always make me want Mexican food! :lol:

Mandy

Samurai

Emily

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:20 pm

Hey Everyone
Just wanted to let you all know that I am back. We survived hurricane Emily with nary a scratch to be seen. There were a few trees blown over here and there, but for the most part our area came away unscathed.

We lost power only very intermittently and even then only for a few brief minutes.

As a matter of fact, we've had worse occur during regular thunderstorms this year.

Regardless, the impending arrival of Emily and work obligations curtailed both my diet aspirations and my computer time, so I have neither been Nossing nor posting to the board. I had times this past couple of weeks where I had time to only eat one meal, let alone three, so as you can imagine I ate a lot of fast food and convenience store faux-foods.

But things look like they're returning to normal, both weather and work-wise, so I'll be posting again soon to the daily check in thread. I need to hit the grocery store first, but for those interested who were following my progress I'll start posting again on Monday.

I look forward to being back on the board. I missed you all! :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:33 pm

Glad you're safe and sound Samurai!
Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

DAY 1 AKA HERE WE GO AGAIN

Post by Samurai » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:51 pm

DAY 1
HT 5'10 WT 210.4 BF 29% (Tanita)

B: Migas, a spoonful of refried beans as a condiment :), iced tea w/sweet n' low.

L: Ham n' cheese sammich w/100% whole wheat bread, 1 cont. Dannon Lite n' Fit Peach Yogurt (with FIBER! Woo Hoo! LOL JK), and a few bites of a nectarine freeze-damaged enroute from California! :::blech::: :shock:

D: Uh.. this was posted so long ago I forgot. :roll: :lol:

I haven't been on a "Day 1" since I was er, out of pocket, the last time.

Nice to drop in tho and see how everyone is doing. I had to bring in my hip waders to slosh through all the fat lbs. that have been lost around here since I've been gone. :shock:

Looks like NoS has picked up some new adherents, too! Despite having been away, I still feel that Reinhard's got the most common-sense 'eating' lifestyle around. Notice I didn't say 'diet?' :wink:

And I've read practically every diet book on the Walden's bookshelf: Atkins and South Beach, raw, vegan, low fat, calorie counting, food combining, Fuhrman, Ornish, and the Warrior Diet; I've browsed the 3-hour Diet and Mastering Leptin, read Body for Life, tried alternate and intermittent fasting both, which have to be the surest way to gain fat that I've experienced, and experimented with all of them to one degree or another.

But Reinhard's methods still appear to be the most sustainable and practical of all. It doesn't require record keeping, it won't make you a pariah among your friends and family, and has built in mechanisms to allow you all your favorite foods.

The fact I haven't been around the boards here and haven't followed the NoS principles in awhile in no way diminishes what I think of the NoS program itself, or its efficacy.
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:57 pm

Double Blech! I hate biting into what seems like a good nectarine or peach on the outside and find inside it's all mealy and mushy and tasteless! LOL.... The same goes for mushy apples.. It's such a let down!

Congratulations on your yogurt with fiber! Maybe soon I'll have two people to make "prune juice" jokes with! You and Prunie Peetie!
But you are Saumurai!

Hmmmm,,,, perhaps
Psyllium Samurai????
:wink: Love Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:20 am

I have been wondering for some time now, if I mixed prune juice with club soda (selzer water), would it make a no-sugar Dr. Pepper taste-alike?

Does anybody else ever wonder about weird stuff like this?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:25 am

Jan, that's really funny! I don't think it would be quite the same, but, don't go by me...

You have to ask Peetie!

Peace and Love (and prunes!)
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:09 am

The prune juice Dr. Pepper connection is Urban Legend. There has never been any prune juice in the formula, but somehow that rumor took on a life of it's own. Although, I have to admit mixing some prune juice with some sparkling seltzer might start some whole new trend in the senior world. Add a little vodka and you could call if a Hurry Mary.

Deb, you sure know who to turn to for your important information!

Love,
Prunie Peetie

Samurai

DAY 1

Post by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:21 pm

DAY 1

HT: 5'10 WT: 208.6 BF%: 26% (Tanita)
Start/Current/Goal Wt: 208.6/208.6/185

Although the 'official' weigh in for my bet isn't until tomorrow night, I've already started NoS'ing, so I thought I'd start keeping track again. I'm not sure if I will update my stats daily but rather just once a week. We'll see how it goes.

B: 2 scoops Strawberry Banana Muscle Milk in 12 oz. water, with 2 bananas and 1 heart of romaine, blended.

EXERCISE: 90 minutes of singles tennis.

NOTE: :idea: Instead of having Gatorade or a soda after my workout, I squeezed a small lime into a 16 oz bottle of water, added a few drops of Stevia for sweetener, and 1/2 teaspoon of a liquid mineral supplement. OMG! It was good and exactly hit the spot after that sweat-inducing workout. (Its very hot and humid here, even early in the morning.) If you're looking for a replacement for sports drinks, give it a try!

L: Brown rice & 1/2 cup black beans w/ green onions, spices; 1 small black plum.

D: Brown rice & grilled and diced chicken breast, w/soy sauce; 1/2 bottle of Michelob Ultra; two slices of cantalope. Mmmm... good!

And very filling, too, thank goodness!

okay.. ::: takes deep breath:::

TODAY WAS A SUCCESS :D
Last edited by Samurai on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:10 pm

Oooh! That lime and water sounds great!!!!!
I love lime taste!!!
I'm sure you know that Gatorade mainly replaces sodium and postassium, which is lost through perspiration...
Since you already seem to eat plenty of bananas, you surely don't need to worry about the postassium...
Great job on you tennis session!!!

Post when you feel like it Samurai! Daily isn't for everyone...
It shouldn't feel like a chore...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Gatorade

Post by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 pm

Deb, Gatorade may replace sodium and potassium, but it also adds a bunch of calories in high fructose corn syrup, too. Its easily as sweet and caloric as a soda. I don't think that's worth the minerals and 'electrolytes,' lol!

Lime & water is a nice, refreshing drink, but I think the salty taste of the mineral supplement is what helped it hit the spot after the tennis session. The list of trace minerals is very long, and includes a small amount of sodium.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 pm

I think you got me wrong there Samurai!
I wasn't saying that there isn't sugar in Gatorade, I know it's there...... It's not as bad as soda, but for our sake, we might as well treat it as an S...
In comparison to soda, which is about 120 calories for 8 ounces, Gatorade is only 50 for eight ounces...
Still, I think your Lime-aide is far superior!!!!!!
I haven't tried this yet myself, but I believe that Gatorade also makes a non caloric drink with the potassium etc... but without sweetener..
I forget what it's called... Add a lime and you are good to go! LOL...

Have a great evening!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Burning calories

Post by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 pm

I wasn't saying that there isn't sugar in Gatorade, I know it's there...... It's not as bad as soda, but for our sake, we might as well treat it as an S...
I didn't mean to come across that way Deb, I was just commenting about the sugar level in Gatorade. You can actually use the sugar in some cases, if you're burning a serious amount of calories as you need to replenish the glycogen in your muscles.

But I don't think I'm that high speed at tennis yet, nor do I play long enough. The thought just occured to me that I was playing tennis for fun, and to burn calories, but was drinking the calories in Gatorade anyway. And you know me, if I'm going to drink my calories, I want PEPSI!

I did a search while I was writing this, and discovered that I should be burning about 600-900 calories during my 90 minute tennis sessions. So really, I'd still be way ahead of the game even if I drank a 32 oz. bottle.

But I'll be even further ahead if I stick to my lime water and mineral supplements! :wink:

Good, better, best!

:lol:

Samurai

DAY 2

Post by Samurai » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:04 pm

DAY 2

B: Two scoops Strawberry Banana Muscle Milk in 12 oz. of water, w/two bananas and one heart of romaine, blended. But I only drank half. It was too heavy for me this morning, I was really dragging.

So I picked up a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato Grande, to go. Hey it was with non-fat milk! But all kidding aside, even this was too sweet and a little too heavy for me this morning. NOTE TO SELF: Skip the breakfast macchiato from now on.

L:: Fried fish fillet w/lime, 1/2 baked potato w/butter, 1/4 tomato, 1 roll. Iced tea w/lime, sweetened w/stevia. Still a little hungry but I think its a caffeine / low blood sugar crash from this morning's coffee. And it's only 1 PM. :roll:

EXERCISE: 35 min. of weight lifting: clean and press, deadlift, curl and press.

Post-workout nutrition: 1 scoop Isopure protein powder, 1 scoop Cell-Tech creatine formula in 12 oz. water.

D: Leftover grilled & diced chicken in brown rice and soy sauce, tossed with small amount of grated cheese; two slices 100% whole wheat bread; a couple small handfulls of sunflower seed kernels, and a small stem of grapes; 1 12 oz. bottle of Michelob Ultra.

Pushed the boundaries of the plate, but man was I hungry! :P

I'm feeling pretty good this time around. I'm not feeling deprived nor missing those Pepsis. So, all in all, I'd say....
TODAY WAS A SUCCESS.
Last edited by Samurai on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:26 pm

Hey Samurai.. Just two little ideas.. Not sure whether they will help, but I hope they do...
You might want to actually eat a whole romaine lettuce without blending it..
If it's not blended and you eat it as a salad you'll probably be more satisfied for a longer time...
2 reasons...
The food experience will be more complete.. chewing looking at the food, swallowing the food... etc...
It somehow registers more in your brain than when you simply drink down your veggies....
Less likely to pass through you without full body recognition...
Maybe your tummy will feel fuller longer that way...

The other idea is, maybe you are eating very early in the day.. Can you push your breakfast up an hour or so?

Hey maybe today is just a hungry day for you!
Keep up the good work!
Peace, Love and Lettuce!
8) Deb

Samurai

Greens

Post by Samurai » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:47 pm

Thanks for the tips, Deb.

Breakfast is too early for salad, at least it is for me. :lol: You can't taste the lettuce in the smoothie and its a great way to add all the benefits of greens to your diet with little hassle.

On the contrary, the entire smoothie, as well as the macchiato, felt very heavy this morning. I woke up late as it is and wasn't quite ready for breakfast but didn't want to go without. I can't really push breakfast back any further because of work, unless I want to end up with a 'snack' instead of breakfast.

Or a sausage biscuit from Whataburger. :twisted:

Samurai

DAY 3

Post by Samurai » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:41 pm

DAY 3

B: Two scoops Strawberry Banana Muscle Milk in 10 oz. of 2% Hi-Protein milk.

EXERCISE: 90 minutes of singles tennis.

Made a bottle of my homemade sports drink to take with me: 16 oz. water, 1 key lime, 1/2 teaspoon trace minerals, several drops of Stevia. :D Worked well.

L: About two bowls of tostada chips w/salsa, bistek ranchero, charro beans, two flour tortillas, iced tea w/Sweet 'n low.

Man, was I hungry! :roll: I think I might have exceeded the one-plate limit, but I didn't eat the rice and pile of iceberg lettuce on the plate either, so I'm going to pretend all those chips would have fit in their place instead. :D I did feel very stuffed afterwards though, and I think I'm getting used to and prefer feeling "full", as opposed to stuffed. Next time, I'll cut back on the chips and have one tortilla instead of two, which probably would have been more than sufficient anyway.

I 'snacked' on a large 32 oz. iced tea w/Sweet n' low this afternoon. :)

D: Pork loin sandwich w/sissy sauce, large iced tea w/Sweet 'n low.

Added a 12 oz. Michelob Ultra before the night was through, too. :lol:

Lessons were learned today, I didn't drink any PEPSI again, nor did I eat between meals. I'd say that means...
TODAY WAS A SUCCESS!

Samurai

DAY 4

Post by Samurai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:19 am

DAY 4 SUBSTITUTE S-DAY

I know there is some reluctance on the part of board members to swap N days for S days, but in this case I either swap days or start over.

I spent 11 hours in a vehicle today, and except for a quick drive through breakfast at the local fast food joint, I didn't eat anything but seeds, dried fruit, and junk food all day long. We had an opportunity for two very quick stops for bathroom breaks and thats it. I'll just say this was occupation related and leave it at that.

So, I'm going to swap today for tomorrow or Sunday and see how it goes.
Last edited by Samurai on Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:22 am

Don't let it get you that you swapped, it's an advanced but legitimate move, and you've been doing great otherwise. Besides, what would a contest be without a little drama?

Looking forward to more championship green next week...

Samurai

DAY 5

Post by Samurai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:00 pm

DAY 5 S-DAY

Thanks for your support, Reinhard. It means a lot, especially coming from the 'founder.' :D

I actually learned a lot yesterday, so the day wasn't a complete loss as far as the diet goes. I learned to be better prepared and to make smarter choices, when it comes to roaming the snack food aisles at Circle K.

I let go a little bit today, having some candy and cookies, as well as a Pepsi, but haven't enjoyed it very much. But this time around I feel a bit more forgiving of myself, and I am more willing to write it off as a learning experience and avoid the same mistakes next weekend.

Or tomorrow, for that matter. :)

EXERCISE: 75 minutes of singles tennis.

Samurai

DAY 6

Post by Samurai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 am

DAY 6 S-DAY

I didn't completely overeat today. A couple of sodas and a piece of two of candy, around one big meal at noon. Not too bad, considering the way I used to eat. :lol:

EXERCISE: 60 minutes of singles tennis.

Samurai

DAY 7

Post by Samurai » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:28 am

DAY 7 S-DAY

I was supposed to substitute a day this weekend for the aberration that occured last Friday, but it didn't happen. I didn't eat a regular meal the entire day. Between getting up late, going to two movies, and playing tennis, I did nothing but snack on junk food.

Soooo, for official '21-days on habit' purposes, I have to start counting again. But I'm on Day 7 of my official 30-day challenge, which leaves 23 days to acquire the No S habit, so I will just keep the log running as is. If I make it to Day 30 without any more slip-ups, I'll have been on habit enough to join the 21-Day Club AND, hopefully, to have won the challenge and enjoy my day at the spa!

EXERCISE: 80 minutes of singles tennis.

Samurai

DAY 8

Post by Samurai » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:40 am

DAY 8
HT: 5'10 WT: 209.6 BF%: 27.5% (Tanita)
Start/Current/Goal Wt: 208.6/209.6/185
Start/Current/Goal BF%: 26/27.5/18

Ugh. If you want to see what four days of S-style eating will do to you, take a look at my current stats. I gained a pound and, equivalently, about 1.5% of body fat to boot. No building of muscle this weekend! :roll:

And I'm not starting breakfast off on the right foot, either. My son just started morning football practice. He has to be at school by 5:30 AM, which means we have to get up by 4:30 just to get out the door by 5:15. So this morning I started the day with a sausage biscuit and a caramel macchiato (AGAIN!) And this by 6 AM. No way I can keep this up. Besides, a grande cup of coffee is $3.90!! If I did this on a daily basis, I'd spend $80 a month just on ONE CUP OF COFFEE IN THE MORNING! :evil: I know it will take a least two to get the day started properly!

Just kidding about the last.

I hope.

B: 1 Whataburger sausage biscuit; 1 16 oz. $tarbucks caramel macchiato.

L: Heaping plate of chinese food. Several pieces of orange and general tso's chicken, fried rice, beef n' broccoli, two egg rolls w/sweet n' sour sauce... iced tea w/Sweet n' low. All I can say is 6 AM to 12:30 PM is a loooooong time between meals, if you're working off a sausage biscuit and coffee! :P

D: Pepperoni pizza, diet Pepsi.
Last edited by Samurai on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Samurai... I hope you don't mind me saying this, as I mean the best for you!!!
I know it's hard to gain sometimes, but this is actually a relative *minor* gain, considering you had four excessive days....
I know for sure, that in the past, four bad days could translate into more like 5 or 6 lbs...
You will kick that pound back out of you, I promise!!!
The other thing is this, I know you have your big challenge with this lady friend of yours, but maybe you can take your focus off the scale until the contest is over...
Force yourself to "read" your body signals and focus on just being on plan... The scale is often a real motivation killer....
If you stayed off it after your "S" weekend and waited a few days to get some good N days under your belt, you wouldn't have even needed to see that one pound up... it would be gone...
Stay positive!!!
I truly think your focus should be more on building your good habits than on the scale... It's draining you!
At least that's my take :)
Respectfully and with Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

DAY 9

Post by Samurai » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 pm

DAY 9

Another day of occupation-related snacking. It wasn't as bad as the last time that this happened, but it wasn't a day for eating three meals, either. I did have one sit-down meal of a hamburger and fries with iced tea, but thats the BEST that I did, which probably isn't the 'best', either. The rest of the day was spent snacking on popcorn and dried fruit. :?

:evil: AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!! :evil:

:lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:14 pm

Samurai, I'm sorry you're running into such stubborn resistance.

If your schedule is such that there's no way you can make it between breakfast and lunch, give yourself an official, small fourth meal in between. It's much better than taking several unofficial large ones or descending into permasnacking.

If you want to preserve a sense of righteousness, maybe make the interim meal something healthy, like fruit only. You could also view this as a provisional step to train your willpower to make the jump to three.

One last thing to consider: if you want a breakfast with staying power, nothing beats oatmeal. It's healthy and cheap as horse food. It's also very portable: I keep it at work and eat it for lunch most days.

You still have 21 days left this month for a perfect run!

Samurai

Day 10

Post by Samurai » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:38 pm

DAY 10

I don't remember what I had, but I do remember it was a normal day and consisted of three regular, well-spaced, well-timed, and well-calculated meals.

So, to myself I say... 'well-done!' (Tell me you were expecting the pun.. tell me!) :wink:

Samurai

DAYS 11-12 S-DAYS

Post by Samurai » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:43 pm

DAYS 11-12 S-DAYS

Typical S-days. Plenty of soda, pizza, hamburgers... :oops:

In other news, my 30 day challenge is off. My uh, diet partner, went and.. well... she ELOPED! LOL!! No kidding, she and her boyfriend decided to elope, thus calling a halt to our weight-loss challenge.

No kidding! :D Yes, I know I said that already, but its the truth and bears repeating. :wink:

Guess I'm on my own. Better off anyway, as I haven't lost any weight. Looks like she might have just saved me $100.00!

Samurai

No Day 13

Post by Samurai » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:47 pm

Today is September 12, and its about 3:45 PM. I missed breakfast, grabbed a soda and candy bar before lunch, and ended up later at Applebee's with a jalapeno jack cheese chicken sandwich with iced tea.

Not much of a Nosser, eh? 8)

I'm feeling like a baby anyway. Everyone in my house is sick with the flu; runny nose, scratchy throat, cough, watery eyes.. flu or allergies anyway.

Oh well! Better luck to me next time! :P

I'm going to stay away from the daily check-ins for awhile. But I'll see you all again soon!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:07 am

Well, at least you didn't lose your bet!

Looking forward to seeing you clinch it next go (even if there's a bit of a breather in between).

Quick big picture diagnosis: it seems like you have 2 big issues.

1) proper meals often don't happen.

2) you eat a lot of fast food.

I think next go you might need to invest in some planning to make sure that meals happen, and that they don't happen at a fast food restaurant (at least quite so often). Much easier said than done, I know... but saying's all I can do.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:14 am

Samurai!
We will miss you if you go away for a long time, so don't!!!
Also, if you can get yourself up to NY ever, I will give you a free massage!
Just keep with it okay???
You will succeed! I know you want this, so don't compromise your dreams!!!! How about just trying to concentrate on one S per week...
Maybe start with kicking that soda to the curb???
What about your lemon/lime cooler???
Take care, and don't leave!
Love,
8) Deb...

Samurai

Review

Post by Samurai » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:48 am

It was fun re-reading my journal and reviewing all of my successes and failures. I remember those days! :)

I haven't re-started the actual daily check in yet because yesterday was a bona fide "S" day, my son's birthday. But I intend to reboot the system here shortly.

Former readers of my journal might be surprised at my weight gain since having left the family, but then again maybe not. Isn't that how must of us found our way to NoS in the first place? :roll:

Samurai

An analysis

Post by Samurai » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:04 pm

When I first started keeping this journal last year, on June 8, 2005, I weighed 211.8 lbs.

When I last posted to this journal, September 6, 2005, I weighed 209.6 lbs.

Today, I weigh 224.6 lbs.

I remember being disappointed with my inabilty to stick with NoS for more than a few days at a time. I remember being disappointed with a lack of real progress.

Well, standing back and looking at my NoS experience almost 8 months later, having gained 15 lbs over that time, I can see that I was making progress. NoS was working, even when I stuck with it only a few days at a time.

After 8 months with NO rules, NO program, and NO guidance, I am 15 lbs. heavier and in a wonderful position to compare NoS to eating ad libitum (can you tell I read nutrition science abstracts? :) ), and I can tell you that NoS DOES work, and WILL help you keep the weight OFF, even if weight loss itself is slow.

Keeping new weight off is reason enough to watch what you eat. Add in the potential for real weight loss and health benefits, there is no reason not to follow the program, to strive to develop the self-discipline needed to stop stuffing food down your pie hole, other than at meal times. :idea:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi Samurai! :)

Great to have you back and nice to see you have some real perspective on your previous progress... Reinhard once told me, actually the first Winter I was on NoS, that during Winter, "stasis" is it's own kind of progress... Look, we all could gain back thirty pounds if we went back to old habits for any substantial period of time...
I mean, I gained about 40 or more, maybe even 50 in one really bad and depressed year.. just before I went on NoS...
I've been plugging away, and yeah, it's sometimes frustrating not to see the numbers plummetting away, and my clothes being replaced every month, but they haven't been getting tighter... LOL..
And yes, I'm losing steadily...
You can too.. Forget about perfection!
You can only get into a whole setup for dissapointment if you make your standards to "be perfect"... That's not what NoS really is about...
Be as good as you can be, even if it's only good 75% of the time!
You will do great!
And don't forget that the attempt, is just as important as actually succeeding...
Fall on your ass twenty times, and get back up twenty one!~
(paraphrased from someone else here, I think it was Vanilla Gorilla, but now I can't remember! LOL...)

Your friend,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:39 am

Samurai,

It's great to have you back here.

Sorry to hear about your ad libitum gains (that is an awesome term), even if it is a kind of backhanded testimonial to no-s. I hope we can get develop some more fronthanded testimonial material this time. :-)

Looking forward to it,

Reinhard