Geekmommy's Daily Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

geekmommy2

Geekmommy's Daily Checkin

Post by geekmommy2 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi:

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of months. I've been trying to lose my baby weight of 15 lbs for awhile. My baby is 3 1/2 years old! I moved to Texas last year and got off my exercise routine due to different work and school schedules. This week I've committed to exercising at least 4 times for 1/2 hr each and working on my snacking. I just completed my fourth walk for the week.

As for eating, I do okay at meals, but I'm a huge snacker and emotional eater. I was on the phone today with my husband and he mentioned some problems he was having at work. I tend to blow up everything in my mind, so I started worrying about what would happen if he lost his job, etc. I had the cupboard door open to grab some crackers and I stopped myself. I grabbed a bottle of water and started typing on the computer instead. I can do this...

I've gained some weight around my middle since we moved here. We'll be going back home for a beach vacation over 4th of July weekend and I'd like to look better than I do now. I don't want people to think that I've let myself go.

Today I'm wearing the same pair of pants I had on yesterday. I only have two pairs that fit. I'm not going to buy more!

Thanks -- I just wanted to get down in writing my reasons for losing weight and getting healthier. I'm going to use this site to write down my successes and mistakes.

Today -- did not reach for snacks when hearing bad news. Broke the cycle for this once.

Geekmommy

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:37 am

Congrats! I tend to grab food when faced with problems too. Glad you were able to break the cycle. Not allowing myself to eat between meals is really helping me with this problem. I am drinking more tea and coffee though.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

geekmommy2

Day 2 checkin

Post by geekmommy2 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:42 pm

Whoohoo! Things are going well. I notice that I am hungry when I sit down to a meal. No snacks, no sweets today. I went to a meeting at preschool this morning and someone came in with a box of Krispy Kreme donuts and plunked them down right in front of me. I hurriedly passed them off. I don't eat them anyway, because I heard that they have something like 400 calories a pop, plus all that fat.

I've been drinking a lot of Crystal Light and coffee and that's helping me fill up too.

I'm glad I just went ahead and started mid-week. I usually want to start stuff on Monday, but felt compelled just to get going...

I read on here about someone interpreting S-days to mean 1 snack or second or sweet. I think I will try that, too. Need to be reasonable and not go completely off.

Thanks. This is fun.

geekmommy2

Day 3 Success

Post by geekmommy2 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:47 am

Hi:

I know it's an S-day so success is easier, but I'm proud that I still didn't snack. It was a weird day because our son had basketball at noon for an hour then we had a big lunch at 2pm, since my husband had to work from 4-7. I was starving at lunch, since we had waited. My kids and husband had fruit and crackers prior to the game. I thought we would get to lunch earlier, so I didn't snack with them.

I didn't get hungry for dinner until 6:30, and we ate lightly because of the big lunch. I had two small cookies with the kids after dinner for my S-day treat. I was proud that I still didn't snack out of control as I normally do. My husband had popcorn when he got home. I had one piece and I wasn't tempted to do more.

I'm glad this forum doesn't charge like WW. I did that last year and I did lose 7lbs, but I can't keep up with the journaling. This is a much better plan. I hope after 21 days, I see some change in the scale.

Geekmommy

geekmommy2

Several day checkin

Post by geekmommy2 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi:

We lost power for 4 days last week! It was a bit of a struggle, so I fell off the wagon. Catching up!

Mon FAILURE
Tues FAILURE
Wed FAILURE
Thurs SUCCESS! (All kids back to school!)
Fri SUCCESS! (Avoided birthday cake at a party!)
Sat SUCCESS (Started Shovelgloving!)
Sun SUCCESS

I'm happy to start again. I know that I can do this. I've gotten exercise everyday since Thursday. I took the sledgehammer out of the garage and used it Saturday. I went slow so I wouldn't hurt myself and only did about 7 minutes. I will do more today.

Geekmommy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Back on track. Good for you! :D

geekmommy2

Post by geekmommy2 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Monday: Failure (small one, but did have a snack before dinner. Made up for it by skipping rice at dinner.)

Tuesday: Good so far!