USAFwife Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

USAFwife

USAFwife Check in

Post by USAFwife » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:36 pm

Ok ...being that this is Friday and already had a piece of chocolate this morning (thanks to my DH who bought me a box of chocolate on V-day lol) I don't think I can start today. I am not quite clear if you can start on S days or not so input would be greatly appreciated.

Also....my biggest problem is later in the day. I can do GREAT all day long and then once dinner time rolls around it's like buffet time for me...dinner, than desert and then depending on how late I go to bed another snack b4 bed (which I know is awful). So once again, if anyone has any tips for curbing that night time "hunger", I would love that too.

I recently bought a set of Zumba videos. I have been doing that for a week and I LOVE IT! So I will continue to do that along with my pilates 3 times a week.

Well thats it for now. I wish everyone luck on their lifestyle changes!

Janine

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:38 pm

You can certainly start on an S day. I did. In some ways I think it might be better to get yourself ready by having a normal weekend. But remember, after that, it's 21 days in a row - including weekends of No-S days.

Good luck. Getting past the first few days, then the first few weeks, is the toughest. After that, it gets much easier, so don't get discouraged by how hard your old habits call for a while.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:27 pm

Ohh ok...you mean 21 straight days of No S..... and then after that is when the S days kick in? Im sorry if this is a dumb question....but I would like to do it correctly.

Thanks

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi Janine :)
Good luck!
Do your best and don't look back!

21 days on habit are three weeks of NoS, which includes your weekend S days.. you don't have to wait 21 days for an S..
This weekend counts as 2 of your 6 S days in those 21 total :)

Expect the loss to be slow but you can lose that 20 lbs for sure!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:03 am

Plan is 5 days (Monday through Friday) no sugar, snacks or seconds.
Then 2 S days off.

That is the plan from day one. Simple and righteous.

Welcome.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Bee

Post by Bee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Janine
Congratulations on starting No-S. It has changed my life and I bet it will change yours too.

I like to start the 21 days on a Sunday because you start off on an easy day where you can't fail, THEN at the end of the three weeks, your last day is an S day (a Saturday). So you make it to the end of that week and you're home free!

I also have a hard time with evening snacking. What I have found that works for me is to have dinner (I try to sit down and make it a leisurely dinner, even if I'm eating alone). Then I get up, immediately clean up the kitchen, and then I make a cup of decaf tea or herb tea. Then I often do my check-in on this forum. After the kitchen is cleaned up, I tell myself that there is no reason to go poking around in there anymore that night. Eating is over. Another thing is that I am in the habit of eating a little later than some people, maybe about 7:30. When I eat that late I find I am not as likely to get hungry before bed time (around 11:30). That of course begs the question, how do you make it that long after lunch, and I think it is just a habit I'm in where by not eating between 1:00 and 7:30 or so, I've trained my body not to get super hungry. I do get the munchies in the afternoon sometimes and often I'll have a cup of tea then too. I find that really helps me out. It still takes some willpower sometimes to keep myself from snacking at night, but I find that sticking to that general routine works for me pretty well.

Good luck Janine, I know you can do it!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and helpful tips. I appreciate the help. I would like to tell you that I completed my first day as a SUCCESS! It was obviously not that difficult being that it was an S day but, never the less, still a success. Its pretty amazing how changing the way you think about food can help your eating habits. Like for example....Today was an S day. I did not snack. I figured out why too. I think it was because I knew I could snack if I wanted to and therefore I did not have this insatiable urge to binge on chocolate all day. Its absolutely amazing! I think however I may have a treat or 2 tomorrow though just so I dont completely waste the last S day before the N days start. Who knows though, I may not need to. One day at a time right? Thanks once again all. Have a good night. On to DAY 2!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 am

Monday.... my first N Day.....Day 3: SUCCESS

It wasn't too bad. I ate 3 meals and didnt really have any desire to snack but when it came time for my meals I was definitely HUNGRY. I didnt have any seconds, though I wonder if I am putting too much on one plate.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: (kinda weird) A banana, a tangerine, and a small handful of grapes with milk

Lunch: Egg & cheese sandwich on whole wheat, 3 slices bacon, and a small handful of red grapes with milk

Dinner: (Chicken helper) chicken fried rice. snow peas, and broccoli with milk (I kinda did the plate in 3rds...1/3 chicken fried rice, 1/3 snow peas, 1/3 broccoli)

Now, after each one of those meals I felt a little bit stuffed but not so that I was uncomfortable. I guess I could stand to eat a little less but I am wondering if I should just wait a little while before downsizing the portions.

Oh, and Bee....I tried your suggestion about the evening snacking....I cleaned up the kitchen, made me a nice hot cup of decaf green tea (with no sugar by the way....I tried it w/out sugar one day just to see what it would be like and it turns out it tastes just fine w/out it) and it worked like a charm. Not only did I not want to snack, but it was quite relaxing as well! Thanks for that!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:38 am

Tuesday, Day 4: SUCCESS

Breakfast: Broccoli, mushroom and cheese omelet, bacon, and grapes

Lunch: Baked potato w/ sour cream & cheese, broccoli, snow peas, greens
(Let me just mention that after I ate this I felt about STARVED from then until dinner, it was excruciating, but I got through it)

Dinner: Manicotti w/ garlic bread (It was probably the most satisfying meal I have ever eaten....EVER! lol)

So, I am trying to keep breakfast my biggest meal. It works great because I am feeling great until lunch rolls around. As far as lunch goes....I dont know what happened there, but I was full for about 15 minutes and then BAM I was starving. LOL I took a nap! I didnt know what else to do to stop feeling bad. I was counting the minutes until dinner and once I ate did I felt so much better. I am starting to understand what everyone was saying about the concept being simple but forming the habits can sometimes be hard. I will say this though, my meals have never been so satisfying in the past. I love this!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:49 am

Wednesday, Day 5: SUCCESS

Thursday, Day 6: SUCCESS

Bee

Post by Bee » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:43 pm

Hey looks like you're doing great! Keep up the good work!
Glad the tea tip worked for you. Tea is so healthy and I really do find it signals my body to stop eating, especially if you make it a habit.

Best wishes and hang in there!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:44 am

Friday, Day 7: SUCCESS
Last night at dinner, a miracle happened!!! I actually left food on my plate!!!! I was full! I was amazed at myself. :D I gotta say I am loving this!

Today is Saturday and so far so good. I will be back later to post.

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Saturday, S-Day, Day 8: SUCCESS
Last edited by USAFwife on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Sunday, S-Day, Day 9: SUCCESS
Last edited by USAFwife on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:37 am

Monday, Day 10: SUCCESS
Last edited by USAFwife on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:09 am

Tuesday, Day 11: SUCCESS

It is getting easier every day. However, last night was a true test for me. I made some bowtie pasta with alfredo sauce (ANYTHING with cheese is a BIG WEAKNESS of mine) and it was SO HARD not to go back for seconds, not because I was still hungry, but because it just tastes so damn good. LOL. I just began to clean up the kithen thinking that tomorrow was another day and that I could have leftovers for lunch today! Go me! haha.

It seems my body is adjusting very well to this. I am no longer hungry between meals. It is absolutely fantastic to not let food control how I go about my day. It feels great, and I am halfway to the 21 day mark. Very exciting for me because I would never last this long (yes, 11 days...sad) on any other diet in the past. I also have been making exercise a part of my daily routine, whether its 10 minutes or 60 minutes, I am getting it in. I am calling it Gym Ranger, if you will. LOL.

I would also like to mention that I weighed myself this morning and the scale had a number on it that I havent seen in weeks. Small change, but like I have seen a few other people on this forum say: "At least I am not gaining".....right?

Thanks Reinhard, you are the man!
Last edited by USAFwife on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:29 am

Wednesday, Day 12: SUCCESS!

Kevin

Way to go!

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:13 pm

You're roaring along, aren't you? Way to go!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:48 am

You're doing great!! Hooray! it does feel good not to be obsessed about food, doesn't it? What's good, what's bad and all that...it's so much more satisfying to be in control!

The weird thing is, I notice when I only eat at meals, I tend to plan and eat far healthier foods than if I can snack.

I am going to try that tea tip too :)

Hilary

USAFwife

Re: Way to go!

Post by USAFwife » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:50 am

Thursday, Day 13: SUCCESS!

Well, today is Friday.....8 more days and I will be able to join the good ole 21 Day Club! I will post later on for today.
Kevin wrote:You're roaring along, aren't you? Way to go!
Thanks Kevin! Yes, I am adapting to this extremely well. I love it! The scale is going in the right direction now! LOL.

Jaxhil wrote:The weird thing is, I notice when I only eat at meals, I tend to plan and eat far healthier foods than if I can snack.
I totally agree with that. I have tried in the past eating the 5-6 smaller meals a day, and let me tell you...its so hard to keep that up. That is just WAY too much time in the kitchen. LOL. Not only that, I seemed to gain weight when I did that. It just doesnt work for me. With NoS though, I make it a point to get my fruits and veggies in at each meal. Its kinda like if I know I am only going to get 3 meals, I had better make 'em good and filling. I have never made such good choices about food before.

Thanks for your encouragement! I hope you are doing well!

Janine

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:02 pm

Friday, Day 14: SUCCESS!

Have a good weekend!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Note to self: Today is an S-Day so after going to the gym today, I figure...why not some Burger King. Never again. I am putting this here as a reminder so I will not forget how miserable I feel after eating it. I dont care if it is an S, N, or whatever day...NO MORE OF THAT!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:46 am

Saturday & Sunday, S-days, Days 15 & 16: SUCCESS

I know you cannot fail on S days...HOWEVER, I TOTALLY went overboard! That just cant happen. I could not wait til Monday just so there would be order again. I will do better next weekend but for now, Thank Goodness, it is back to NoS!

I have been going to the gym and burning that 500 calories a day. (I have read that 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat, so matmatically speaking, 7 days @ 500 calories should lose me 1 pound a week.) I am pretty proud of myself. It is a GIANT step for me.

I will weigh myself Friday and post what I find. (Hopefully this past weekend didnt throw me WAAAAYY off track.)

That is all for now.

girligrant

Post by girligrant » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:03 pm

You go USAFwife!! My biggest problem will probably be eating a breakfast (or something in the morning) since the idea of food first thing in the morning is a yuck for me. I also seem to have an addiction to my son's digital scale and check my weight all the time. Hopefully we can gauge how this works when our clothing is too big for us and starts falling off!! girligrant

Bee

Post by Bee » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 am

Janine,
Isn't it funny how those chaotic S-days can make you look forward to Monday when things are just so much simpler? I often on the weekend finding myself looking forward to no-S days because I feel better physically and don't obsess about food.
Who would have thunk it?
By the way, keep up the good work, you're almost there!
B

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:53 am

Bee wrote:Isn't it funny how those chaotic S-days can make you look forward to Monday when things are just so much simpler?
OMG YES! lol...I think I learned my lesson this past weekend. I made the good old mistake of buying a "treat" for my S-days. WRONG MOVE!. Like we all say....if we dont buy it, we wont eat it. I bought some dark chocolates....they are soooo yum, but I cant stop once I start. Oh well..back on track I go...I love NoS days.! LOL Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot!

Monday, Day 17: SUCCESS!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 am

Tuesday, Day 18: SUCCESS!

I have 3 days til I can join the 21 Day Club....but I feel I have already made NoS a habit. Between the NoS and the daily workouts, I am already starting to feel better about myself. It has been great!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 am

Wednesday, Day 19: SUCCESS

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:08 am

Thursday, Day 20: SUCCESS

Well today is Friday and I said I would post my weight so here goes...

Starting weight: 145.5

Today's weight: 139.5

Not too shabby!

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:00 am

Friday, Day 21: SUCCESS

Made it the full 21! Yaayy me!

Bee

Post by Bee » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Janine!
Way to go, you did it! And 6 pounds! That's great! Have a great S-day and do some nice things for yourself, you deserve it (now and always)!
Bee

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:55 am

Awesome success. Congratulations. Keep it up.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."