Mo's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MerryKat

Mo's Check In

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 pm

I am starting a new check in as I am starting No S fresh and new this week and I want my check-in to be new too (Here is the link to my first check in posts - http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=350).

I am posting a response I posted on the discussion boards to remind me of where I am going right now. It pretty much covers what I did wrong in the past and my aims for the future.

I am also a stress eater.

When I look back at my first successful No S days, I find that I kept things simple. I followed those 14 simple words, just as they are written. I did not try and add my own twist to them. This is when I was successful on No S.

Then I decided in all my wisdom that I could improve on this perfection and start restricting my S days, reducing my quantities on my plate - so on and so on. I managed to make this so complicated that I was back to any other complicated weightloss plan.

It has taken me about a year to realise this - I am a slow learner! - and come back to No S (plain and simple).

But I realise while writing this that I have started 'tweaking' again! I have moved my S day to be Friday night to Sunday late afternoon - this does not really work!

So here and now I am committing to following No S (just those 14 simple words) without my embelishments.

On the exercise issue. I am also going to follow Reinhard's recommendation of rather doing a little consistently than a lot sporadically.

I have found something that works for me (proved it last time I lost weight), it is very simple and anyone I tell about it says that it cannot possibly work as it is too simple. However for me that is the beauty, it is so simple that I have no excuse not to do it and I can squeeze it into my hectic morning routine and then feel pumped all day because I have done my exercise.

For me who has been an exercise hater all my life, this 8 min in the morning is a god send and something I can see myself doing in 10 years time. If in years to come, I have more time I will try and get back to my Yoga, but at present it is not a viable option.

My starting weight is 77kg (169.4lb) as at 1st April 2007.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:19 pm

You can do it! I'm rooting for you!

MerryKat

12 April 2007

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:20 am

I was having a good look back over my weight loss / gain records and had a nice surprise (it is amazing how you can loose track of doing well in the bigger picture when you focus on the weekly weights).

I put me back on No S in November 2006 a really bad year of loosing and gaining and I was back to my post-pregancy high (hit it a couple of times in 2006) of 78.9kg (173.6lb). I show a loss of 2kg (4.4lb) for the last 23 weeks (it would have been higher but March was a YUCK month and the wheels totally fell off!)

November 2006 - Down 1.9kg (4.18lb)
December 2006 - Down 0.3kg (0.66lb)
January 2007 - Down 0.2kg (0.44lb)
February 2007 - Down 0.6kg (1.32lb)
March 2007 - Up 1.1kg (2.42lb)

Looking at these figures April is more a recommit and getting back to the simple No S than a restart as I am definitely getting this weight moving - 4 months in a row with losses (including December)

Sinnie - thanks for your kind comment - I know I can do this, my proof is posted here.
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Thursday was a success
Friday was a success (I didn't even have much of a battle being tempted to start my weekend early)

I had a wonderful totally over indulgent weekend - made up for all the chocolate I did not eat over Easter and ate it in one sitting! Needless to say I felt sick and my insides were decidedly unimpressed for a day or so.

Getting back to No S this week has been particularly hellish this week. Monday I gave in a little after dinner and had a fruit bar but stopped there. Tuesday & Wednesday I spent the whole afternoon and evening opening the sweet cupboard and closing it again. I am glad no one could see what was going on in my head. One half of me was trying to persuade the other that a little bit of chocolate / nuts / biltong would not hurt, while the other side was argueing back about then having to post here that I had 'cheated' - Thankfully the good side won!!

For the second week in a row, I have lost 0.1kg (0.22lb) - this sounds like such a small amount, but if I loose this every week, I will loose 5.2kg (11.44lb) in a year. As I only have about 15kg (33lb) in total to loose, this is a third of my required loss.

All in all I label this week a SUCCESS.

MerryKat

November Update

Post by MerryKat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:17 pm

I am back (again) - I keep making things more complicated than they need to be and finding excuses why I cannot loose the weight. The reality is that when you eat too much (even healthy food) you will gain weight! I have been eating too much for years (thanks to snacking) and as a result the weight is slowly mounting. I have lost 2.3kg (5.06lb) since November 2006, but the yo-yo up and down on a weekly basis has not been good.

April 2007 - Down 0.3kg (0.66lb)
May 2007 - Up 0.3kg (0.66lb)
June 2007 - Up 1.1kg (2.42lb)
July 2007 - Up 0.4lb (0.88lb)
August 2007 - Down 2.7kg (5.94lb) Started No S again and then complicated it!
September 2007 - Up 0.6kg (1.32lb)
October 2007 - Up 0.2kg (0.44lb)

I am now looking at starting a new year and lifetime of No S with no more excuses. Yes I am pre-diabetic and I have thyroid problems which can make loosing weight more difficult, but if I don't over indulge daily, I do loose weight on a weekly and monthly basis with No S.

No S plus 2 litres of water a day (basic common sense) plus a little exercise as often as I can during the week - with no adendums and alterations - is my life time plan for health.

Kevin

Re: November Update

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Welcome back. Good luck. Make sure you walk, too.
MerryKat wrote:I am back (again) - I keep making things more complicated than they need to be and finding excuses why I cannot loose the weight. The reality is that when you eat too much (even healthy food) you will gain weight! I have been eating too much for years (thanks to snacking) and as a result the weight is slowly mounting. I have lost 2.3kg (5.06lb) since November 2006, but the yo-yo up and down on a weekly basis has not been good.

April 2007 - Down 0.3kg (0.66lb)
May 2007 - Up 0.3kg (0.66lb)
June 2007 - Up 1.1kg (2.42lb)
July 2007 - Up 0.4lb (0.88lb)
August 2007 - Down 2.7kg (5.94lb) Started No S again and then complicated it!
September 2007 - Up 0.6kg (1.32lb)
October 2007 - Up 0.2kg (0.44lb)

I am now looking at starting a new year and lifetime of No S with no more excuses. Yes I am pre-diabetic and I have thyroid problems which can make loosing weight more difficult, but if I don't over indulge daily, I do loose weight on a weekly and monthly basis with No S.

No S plus 2 litres of water a day (basic common sense) plus a little exercise as often as I can during the week - with no adendums and alterations - is my life time plan for health.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the welcome and the luck.

At the moment in my life, I do not have time for a large amount of exercise, so I am starting with some yoga and weights consistantly.

I do hope in the near future that some things will change to allow me time to do cardio, but till then every little bit helps.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:20 am

I was so pleased with myself yesterday.

We had a farewell function after dinner at my son's school with drinks & snacks. I did not have anything to eat!! I had a lovely evening with everyone with no food.

I got some plates of food for my boys, but I never touched anything - not even my son's left overs!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:09 pm

HI Mo,
I found your posts inspirational - it's very comforting as a newbie to know that if I just follow No-S the weight will come off (albeit slowly). I sympathise with the difficulty of finding time and opportunities to exercise. I'm a single mum of a young child and it's terribly difficult unless I exercise in work hours (obviously, I can't leave my child alone to go for a walk), but my work time is incredibly busy and stressful because I'm juggling a full-time job and childrearing (so I leave early twice a week so I can pick her up from school and spend some afternoon tiime with her). I wouldn't change anything - like my job, love my child - but it is hard sometimes fitting everything in.
All the best with this new round of no-S.
Wim
PS - what is the simple thing you have added to your morning routine? I am intrigued.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks funfuture for your kind comments. If I don't do a little exercise first thing in the morning, I will never do it - find loads of excuses to skip later in the day. I either do a little yoga (bought myself a cheap beginners book) or the weight routine from 8 Minutes in the Morning. I try to walk as much as I can at work, but some days are better than others.

I find that if I get in my 10 min in the morning it is easier to be motivated to eat well. I am also more awake and function better.

In the ideal world I would love to do 30min cardio, but I just cannot find a way to fit it in in a way that does not cause more stress than it is worth.

The begining of December was pretty good - I had the odd bad day, but on the whole I was on track. The second half of December I was on leave and I snacked a bit more than I would like, but I found that my meals tended to be smaller as a result (infact a couple of times the snack became the meal). Christmas Day / Boxing Day / New Years Eve / New Years Day were fine - normal meals with a dessert added for one meal of the day.

However the first week of January was HORRIBLE!! I ate badly and felt terrible as a result. Thankfully work started in the second week and I got back into routine and I immediately felt better.

I consider this festive season to be a positive experience and a success because in the past the entire month of December / January would have been an excuse for gluttony! Even my bad week in January was better than my usual festive season weeks.

I cannot get the Habitcal to work for me - some conflict with my work machine, so I have drawn myself up calendars that live in my daily bible study books (makes sure I see them and focus on No S as I get up in the morning). I am aiming to work No S for a 4 week cycle at a time and reward myself with a book or manicure or craft supplies when I achieve 90% of my 4 weekly target.

I battled at the end of last year with the 3 to 5 o'clock munchies (lunch is at 12 - dinner at 7 or 8), so I have introduced a 4th mini meal (apple & glass of milk) at 3.30pm which is definitely helping with keeping me functioning mentally as well as able to resist snacking on everything I can find when I get home from work.

I am determined to stick with No S - with none of my usual tweaking for this year and I will do my best to post semi-regularly. I know this plan works and for me it is the only thing that does work and I can live with consistantly, it has just taken me 2 years to learn that I cannot make it better by adding my own take on things! (I am a slow learner!!) Medically, Emotionally, Mentally, and Physically this is the best system for me.

Have a fantastic 2008 and I wish you all a wonderful year.

MerryKat

Week 1 - Days 1 -7

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 am

My first week back to vanila No S has gone well and I managed to resist any temptation to snack - this is my big problem area.

I had a great weekend with lots of little treats and I enjoyed them but did not overindulge.

I set myself a target that I would like to achieve, but it is not a train smash if it does not happen (the habit is the primary concern), of 0.4kg (0.88lb) per week or 1.6kg (3.52lb) per month.

I reached my goal of 0.4kg (0.88lb) this week and more importantly I have had a week of habit building and morning exercise which definitely helps me to function better.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:48 am

Hi Mo,

Thanks for the encouraging words on my check in page. I'll be stopping in to read your entries, it's motivating to read about veteran no Sers.

Have a terrific weekend. :)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 pm

well done, Mo. the weight loss goal sounds reasonable. My weight loss isn't fast, but as long as it is steady and going downwards, that feels good.

I think I'll copy your practice of exercising in the morning. That might be the time for me to shug - found I was just too tired yesterday to do it before bed. I got other exercise today, but had planned to shug tonight. Again - other stuff got in the way and I had the excuse of being too tired....hmmm.

apple

Post by apple » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 am

It's great that you can fit in your exercise in the morning! That must be such a good way to start the day. I'd like to do that but am not sure how that would fit into my routine without needing to wake up earlier.

Your weight loss target sounds very reasonable. Keep up the good work!

MerryKat

Wednesday 6th February

Post by MerryKat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 am

I had about 2 great weeks then about 2 not so great ones. I have done pretty well with No S and I have resisted tweaking it, I have even done away with my apple and milk late afternoon and rather moved my lunch to 1pm (people in the office will adjust if I do it consistantly). My problem has been snacking while making dinner and after dinner.

I felt so pleased with myself last night when I resisted the call of a packet of home made (by a friend) crunchies. I picked up the packet and hid them where I could not see them. It was a long battle but I succeeded.

I have battled to do exercise in the mornings. I am really not a morning person and much as I do benefit from morning exercise, it was not working for me.

I am back to exercising after work - as soon as I get home, while my eldest sorts his school bags out. I am still doing my Yoga and have added the exercise plan from the Hacker's Diet which gives me a little cardio. For me these are doable, which means I will keep up with them.

I have managed to get Habitcal to work for me as long as I only have one topic to track (some conflict between my PC and the software), so I have updated January.

My weight seems stuck at the moment, but I will keep up with the exercise and it will come right.

I am also not focusing on my weight loss, but rather on eating properly and exercising. With those two I will benefit my health and I am sure the weight will drop or convert to muscle rather than wobbly fat.

MerryKat

7th March 2008

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 am

I am still using my Habit Cal - http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... &t=NoSDiet

I did fairly well with my plan of No S and Hacker's Diet Exercise plan till 25th February and then I jumped off the plan and into self-sabotage! I have done no exercise, not drunk enough water and broken all the No S rules for the last 2 weeks. The result of this is that I have spent most days with sugar headaches, tummy ache and generally feeling yuck!

No More, No More, No More - I am going home to do my exercise and I will not snack today.

Friday afternoons and evenings are particularly difficult for me as they have always been treated as part of the weekend in my house. This is compounded by the fact that my children are only allowed sweets Friday night to Sunday lunch time as my eldest needs Sunday afternoon to recover from the sugar.

I am going to put myself on the same routine as my kids - what is good for them is good for me. My weekends will start after dinner on Friday night (this stops me binging and snacking before dinner) and end after lunch on Sunday (just as we start preparing for Monday).

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:47 pm

My weekend went well.

We had dessert on Friday night, Saturday I had a few snacks and a couple of bits of chocolate after dinner and Sunday I had a snack mid morning. After Sunday lunch I resisted all temptation and started my N days.

Monday - success - I was not hungry at dinnertime, in fact the thought of food made me nauseous, so I did not eat, but I did not allow myself to subsitute with junk. I was not hungry so I did not eat!

I am battling to get back into my exercising due to the heat over here (we don't have aircons at home). I hate the heat and the thought of exercising when I am already feeling over heated and headachy from the heat is not on. Roll on winter!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Tuesday - Success
Again I wasn't hungry at dinner, but I had a tiny amount of lasagne and a banana - I need to maintain the 3 meals a day to stop me jumping off of the wagon again and I need food to allow me to take my meds.

I am thoroughly enjoying the book, but I just need more time to read! Work and family keep getting in the way!!! It is good to totally re-read the plan again as you forget things and different things jump out at different times.

One thing that is dawning on me is I always start out at full speed and make huge promises and predictions - I then loose steam and feel overwhelmed by the promises and predictions and slide off down the slippery slope.

I am firmly back on No S and my only aim is to stay on it permanently. We will see what will be if I follow it 100%.

friscobob

Mindset

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Once you have the proper mindset, the will to succeed, success will come! You can and will do it! All the best, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks for the encouragement Bob

Another thing that hit while reading the book is that I have been focused on my weight - weighing and tracking daily as well as sort of tracking the habit of No S. I am scrapping my daily tracking - this is a huge thing for me as I have a daily tracked record of my weight since 2000 - I will weigh myself monthly on the first day of the new month and I have set up a habitcal in my daily diary.

The habit is the important thing, not the scale weight.

I am still battling to get back to my exercising but I want to really concentrate on the No S habit first and my next habit will be the exercise.

Step by Step I will become healthier and have developed better habits.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am

I did my exercise last night.

I was 100% on track yesterday even with people eating chocolate around me - I bought myself my favourite black chocolate and I am looking forward to that this weekend.

I did not weigh myself this morning.

I did my bible study this morning.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 pm

This has been such fun this evening, I managed to hijack DH's laptop and spend some time here in the evening (now 21h27 on 14/03/08 in South Africa).

It was great to be on line with some of you guys.

I behaved all afternoon (Yay for no friday afternoon binges) and have had my friday evening treat after dinner and looking forward to Saturday.

I did not do exercise today as Friday evenings are the start of my S days and I will do exercise on Sunday eveinging as that is the start of my N days.

Have a wonderful weekend

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:09 pm

I had a perfect weekend. As soon as lunch was complete on Sunday my N days started again and it was amazingly easy to step back into it - I was not even tempted by the chocolate my DH was eating last night.

Unfortunately I did not get to exercise on Sunday afternoon / evening as I was nursing a sick child and only mum would do.

I am going home now to do my Monday exercise - no matter what. This will be helped by the fact that it is way cooler here to day (has rained since Friday and the temperature has really dropped) - Autumn is moving in.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Monday continued perfectly and included exercise.

Tuesday was another 100%.

Wednesday I had a breakfast with work and I was so good. I had a bowel of all the lovely different fruits and then I had about 8 pieces of sushi. I did not get too close to the sticky cakes and things and felt very pleased with me.

Thursday is going well.

This weekend will be interesting, but I am aiming to keep Friday a N-day and Monday (both public holidays).

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Thursday was 100% even though we were out for dinner

Friday I did not do exercise but I was 100% on No S.

Monday became a special day, but I did not really have that much extra stuff - meals were spread out rather than all at one time.

Tuesday was back to normal and it seemed difficult for a few occassions, but I succeeded.

Today I have been good. We had snacks at work for a birthday, so I took my plate and kept them for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed them. This evening will be the reason to day is a S day - it is my son's 10th birthday so we will have cake.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:42 pm

Wednesday - Apart from 2 slices of birthday cake my day was great eating wise. I am glad I made the day an 'S' so I could enjoy my son's celebration.

Thursday - went well during the day and then after dinner I had a pity party. You know the thing 'Everyone gets chocolate and not me - Poor Me! Poor Me!'. So instead of strengthening my new habits, I strengthened the old ones and had a marshmallow easter egg and 6 pieces of dark chocolate!

Friday - I paid for all of this chocolate this morning with a chocolate headache from hell. The rest of the day is going well.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Ok, I have to admit that my starting my S days on friday evening to lunch on sunday DOES NOT work!

Friday I was good all day and snacked on friday afternoon and had chocolate after dinner.

Saturday was a normal S day with a couple of treats.

Sunday night had chocolate and sweets instead of stopping at lunch.

So as of this week I am back to 'vanilla' No S with no Merry modifications!

Monday - Success
Tuesday - Success
Wednesday - Success

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Thursday - Success

Friday - Became an S day.

Saturday - Exempt

Sunday - Became an N day thanks to Friday's S day, but there was no sense of punishment, it just felt natural after 2 days of S it is time for N.

Monday - Success

Tuesday - Success

Wednesday - Success
I got results from blood work done during a routine yearly ladies check up and my doctor has reduced my dosage of Eltroxin (thyroid meds). This is huge for me as in the past these meds have been steadily increasing. The only thing that has really changed has been the fact that I am back NoS'ing again (and that this has encouraged me to do a little exercise here and there).

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:07 am

Wednesday 9th April - Another reason this day was a success for me was my DH was out for the evening and I did not snack. In the past if he was out I would pig out! It was so great to be in control and I felt so good and powerful.

Thursday 10th April - Success

Friday 11th April - Success (it stayed an N day - it was very hard not to snack that evening, but it felt great and I really enjoyed my weekend)

Saturday & Sunday - Exempt and really enjoyable without any binging

Monday 14th April - Success & I did 14 min Yoga

Tuesday 15th April - Success & I did 14 min Yoga

Wednesday 16th April - Success & I did 14 min Yoga

Thursday 17th April - Success

Friday 18th April - Success

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Saturday 19th April & Sunday 20th April - success with enjoyable snacks and only a couple of ones that I look at today and know that I was only eating because they were there (but that is what S days are for).

Monday 21st April - Success

Tuesday 22nd April - Success

Wednesday 23rd April - Success plus 14 min Yoga

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am

Since my last check in I have been OP even though we had 2 long weekends here in SA and went away caravaning with friends for one of those long weekends.

I made the caravaning trip S days, but I amazed myself at how good I was without any difficulty or any feeling of being the odd one out. I did not have seconds as I was full after my first plate of food.

I only had a few sweets at a time (rather than eating packets of them as I would have in the past).

I did not have snacks just because they were there! A few times my DH and friends were snacking and I was not hungry, so I did not have any!

05/05/08 - I am committing to getting back to my 8MM for the next 2 months (before going on holiday to the coast for 2 weeks with my in-laws).

Exercise is the one area I really battle with. It is not something I enjoy and as it is nearly winter here in SA now, I would far rather stay in bed for 15 minutes longer in the morning and there is not always time in the evening.

I WILL get up at 5.10am for the next 2 months and do my 8MM which will help build muscle and that inturn gets the metabolism moving a little bit faster.

MerryKat

05/05/08 to 11/05/08

Post by MerryKat » Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am

Monday 05/05 - Success - a little Yoga

Tuesday 06/05 - Success - Monday & Tuesday 8MM in the afternoon

Wednesday 07/05 - Success - Morning 8MM

Thursday 07/05 - Success- Morning 8MM (I have sore arms from yesterday's tricep & bicep exercises - what a great feeling to get these muscles moving!)

Friday 08/05 - Going Well So Far - Morning 8MM

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 pm

10/05 & 11/05 - Successful S Days

12/05 - Success & Morning 8MM

13/05 - Success & Morning 8MM

14/05 - Success & Afternoon 8MM

15/05 - Success

16/05 - Success

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 am

17th & 18th May - Sensible - No Sneaking Eating

19th - Success (Not feeling great)

20th - Sick

21st - Sick

22nd - Sick

23rd - Sick (Still feel so weary and flat)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 pm

24th & 25th - Still feeling sick but stuck with my No Sneaky Eating.

26th - Success - Feeling better

27th - Feeling sick again

28th - Failure - Sneaky Snacking on Sweets!

29th - Failure - Sneaky Snacking on Sweets!

30th - Failure - Sneaky Snacking on Sweets!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi All

I am BACK AGAIN.

I have had a fairly good few months eating wise, and lost around 1.6kg (4lb) in the last 6 months (April - Sept). However, I tend to stick 100% to No S for 2 weeks, third week the 'healthy' snacks start creeping back in and by the forth week I am endlessly munching before and after dinner.

It is the start of the 4th week and the endless snacking happened last night, and would tonight under normal routine, BUT NO MORE!

Enough of this nonsense, I do not want to ruin the trend and I really need to stabilise the habits. If I can get into such a bad habit then I can also get into a good habit for all four weeks of a month. I also need to consistantly add some exercise into my day and get back to drinking my water.

I cannot always get time for computer access, so I have drawn up a 3 month habit tracker for No S, exercise (of any kind for 14 min) and water to paste into my To Do note book.

I know I can do this and feel so much better for it.

I am aiming for 5 days of Yoga and Weights for 15 min and 2 litres of water 7 days a week.

Have a great day.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:21 pm

welcome back, MerryKat - we missed you. :D

MerryKat

Back Again

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for your kind comment funfuture. I miss you guys when I cannot be around. With not having internet connection at home, if work is busy I do not get chance to 'visit' here.

Most of the time the No S has become instinctual for me now after 3 years in Sept 08, but I insist on allowing the snacking on sugar (double whammy!) to creep into my N Days and then the roller coaster begins! My worst times are still 3-4pm and after dinner.

I am now getting tired of myself and I am back to Vanilla No S. I know this works and I know if I follow my N Days the S Days are pretty much enjoyable but not stupid (habit definitely carries through). Unfortunately the habit also carries through when I am snacking sugar! which makes the S Days binge feasts!

I am the worlds expert on tweaking things - and every time I do, it sets me up to wander off the rails again.

I now weigh more than I did when I joined in 2005 and when I look back at my stats, I have more than lost all my weight I wanted (when following No S) only to go wandering again and gain it all plus a little.

Exercise is not something I enjoy or find easy to fit into my day, so for now, I not stressing about it. If I set the exercise as part of my goals with No S that is also one of the ways I loose focus. I know I need to exercise and I will do my best to add extra stair climbing, etc in to my day. But first and foremost is getting my No S Habit established.

One of my major hold overs from WW was weighing in every Thursday (and tracking it). I am doing away with this and weigh myself on the last day of every month (or the last N day if it falls on S days).

I have started a habitcal on my computer as I don't always have time to update my one here on a daily basis and this should help from a visual perspective.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Thursdays are one of my extra challenges, we go to my in-laws for dinner and there is always pudding!

Usually tinned fruit and icecream or custard and periodically cake or doughnuts or easter eggs or mince pies.

I am determined that I will not have as I do not need pudding after dinner and while it might be nice, it will be even nicer on an S day when I can enjoy it guilt free.

Have a great day

Mo

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:18 am

I Did It!! No pudding was had or required! I happily sat and watched the rest of them munch away.

I did 14 min walking on the spot with high knees - whew my thighs and butt were rather exhausted!

Friday is another challenge for me as my mind always tells me that as soon as work finishes, weekend begins on a friday, but I know that I will feel much better if I continue with vanilla No S and S days start on Saturday morning and end on Sunday evening.

Have a great weekend.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:43 am

I aced friday and it was a perfect N day. I kept busy and out of the kitchen apart from when making dinner.

My saturday was a bit idiotic, with snacking sweets, but nothing like a month ago and they were all individual items not packets.

My sunday was saner, a bit of chocolate after lunch and some more after dinner.

I am very pleased to be back to monday and N days where I know snacks and sweets are not an option so I don't even have to contemplate anything.

There were birthday treats at work today and I just politely said "No thank you" and no-one even blinked. It feels great!

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 pm

You are doing so well. I love how you frame things positively. I need to work on that!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you Bizzybee - it is so easy to get caught up in the negativity in the world to day, but it is amazing the difference it can make to yourself and those around you if you try and keep smiling and being polite and pleasant. Believe me I still have moments where I am rude and grouchy but I do my best to limit them.

Yesterday was a good day and today is going well.

Hugs
Mo

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 am

Last week went well:

Monday was a huge relief to be back to N days as the weekend had been an excess (but nowhere nearly as bad as pre No S) of snacking sweets.

Tuesday I caught myself picking at dinner items as I was preparing dinner. Mentally smacked me over the wrist and stopped as soon as I noticed.

Wednesday was tempted to pick as making dinner, but I resisted.

Thursday was very pleased with myself as I dished up dessert (tinned peaches & vanilla ice-cream) for the family (compliments of the in-laws) and I was not even tempted!

Friday had pizza - 4 slices from a medium pizza (did not even fill the plate) and 2 peaches. In the past I would have eaten at least 8 slices and ended up feeling sick. I felt good after my 4 slices, I enjoyed every mouthfull and just did not actually want any more.

Saturday had a fair number of snacks, but small amounts. Enjoyed my evening chocolate, but ate far less than in the past.

Sunday had a few sweets mid afternoon. After dinner I just did not fancy any more chocolate, so I had a peach. DH offered me some of his caramel's and I said No as I just did not need any more sugar.

Again I am very happy to be back to N days!

I am finding that after dinner instead of tea or coffee, a cup of coccoa (level teaspoon of coccoa powder, cup full of hot water and splash of milk) ends the day off well.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:53 am

I have worked out that most times I have restarted No S I have made it part of a group of things I have to do to have a successful day (No S plus exercise plus water). While all of these extras are great, they tend to distract me from No S and when I slip with one of them my No S slips as well.

So I have decided with this restart of No S, I will follow No S 100% and this is my only goal for each day.

I normally drink 2 litres a day, just because that is what I am thirsty for, but if I don't then I am sure my body will remind me of it later in the day.

I am going to look to do some exercise every day - not manditory and if it doesn't happen for now that is also fine.

Once No S is set as the ruling habit, I will start working on the exercise habit - as a separate issue entirely.

The exercise I am looking at doing when the mood strikes is Hindu Squats (minimum 10) and Hindo Push Ups (minimum 5).

Last night I found I was wondering around looking for something to do while my boys bathed and I went and did 10 Hindu Squats and 6 Hindu PushUps. Not much, but a start.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 am

Another good week under my belt.

I had 4 100% days with no problem.

Friday was a NWS as it was our pastor's 50th birthday party. But it was not the whole day, just dessert after dinner which was fruit salad and ice-cream. I was so pleased with me as in the past I would have munched all day and had sweets after we got home, but it was only 1 event.

My S days were good with a couple of snacks in the late afternoon and evening, but minor compared to history.

I did 3 days of exercise this week.

One thing I have noticed is when my snacking and food choices are really junky food, my system gets sluggish and clogged up and it takes a couple of N days of 'normal' food for it to get moving again.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 am

Another good week - and I made the 21 Day Club which feels FANTASTIC.

4 perfect days and one day with an S Event for my In-laws 43 wedding anniversary (peaches & custard).

After a full month (which ahd a few extra exempt days and a failure due to New Years celebrations) of No S I am down 2.3kg (5lb).

I feel good, way less bloated and my clothes are fitting better. A number of people have also commented on the fact that they think I am loosing weight - even though I have not told anyone apart from family what I am doing.

I am looking forward to February with great excitement.

Hugs
Mo

MerryKat

Feb 09

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am

February was another wonderful No S month which went smoothly.

I had 2 NWS days when I was at home with a sick 4 year old and that was just the way things happened.

A couple of my weekends were a bit 'idiotic' but I doubt I will indulge in those foods to that degree again as I felt YUCK!

All in all I am happy with my month.

I lost 0.2kg (0.44lb) which gives me a total loss of 2.5kg (5.51lb) since the 1st January 09.

It is so good to feel normal and be able to enjoy my food and really enjoy my weekend snacks without guilt.

Have a stunning March.

Hugs

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 am

Something I have noticed over the last few weeks is that while the no S habit is firmly entrenched in my life and I am still loving my S days (a bit too much some days), I am definitely becoming more aware of how easy it would be to just slide back into my bad snacking (my big downfall).

It is almost as if I am over the new shiny phase of following this plan and my brain is saying "ok, you have done that, can we return to where we think you are more comfortable". Every day for the last few weeks I have had to conciously stop myself from snacking or picking. I have stopped myself, but now I see where things have gone wrong in the past - a couple of months in and the strictness starts to slip.

I am monitering this and I will continue to stick to the N day habit and I know in time this bump in my road will be passed.

I just find it interesting that even after 2 months on plan I could so easily return to uncontrolled snacking.

I am fencing around the law even more strictly for the next few weeks to enable the habit to strengthen again.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MerryKat

29th September 2009

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 am

Friday was another launch myself off the wagon at the weekend! Saturday and Sunday were average weeekend days.

Monday thankfully back to No S routine and looking forward to a great week. I am determined not to be swayed by anyone else offering me food - snacks or dessert.

After reading a few posts in the general postings and lots of pondering and thinking over the last couple of days, I have come to realise that I need to start looking after me and my body better. The minute one routine goes out of sync the rest seem to follow, I need to get back to looking after me without obsessing over parts of it.

The best way to do this is to create moderation in all things.

1. A moderate way of eating with the odd treats = Vanilla No S
2. A moderate amount of exercise = 8 Minutes in the Morning
3. Build my relationship with my Maker = Morning Bible & Prayer time
3. Tracking the good habits = Daily Habit Cal
4. Stop torturing myself daily = Once monthly weigh-ins

This is what I need to do to look after the precious gift of a body that God has given me - physically, mentally and emotionally.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for posting on my check-in page! You are right: we can do this!

What do you think of 8MM? I used to do it several years ago, but then turned my (fickle) attention elsewhere. Are you doing 48 reps of two movements? Do you get it done in 8 minutes?

His "Cruise Down Plate" works pretty well with No-S, too.

I liked that you posted your morning Bible study as part of your goals. I have become MUCH more regular in my Bible study, too, since No-S came into my life. Moderation and good habits just spilling over into the rest of our lives, right?!

Keep up the good efforts!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")