Jane's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jane

Jane's Daily Check In

Post by Jane » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:56 pm

:D After over 20 years of gaining (hating myself) and losing (liking myself) the same 30 pounds over and over and over I am here.

I am in the middle of losing 30 pounds again, so I have 15 to go. I was on a very strict 1200 calorie diet. I was finding myself looking wistfully at bread and wishing I had "enough" calories to have a sandwich. That's when I realized that I was going to fail again.

It's no no no until you lose weight and then I explode with a big YES and eat everything in sight!

So. now I am going to find my way to a reasonable level of eating and exercising.

I will live a healthy life!
"The truth of the matter is that you know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:10 am

Gaining and losing is very hard on your physical health, and probably just as hard on your mental/emotional well-being. I'm glad you found no-s. This is a great program and the people on the board are really supportive. Best wishes to you!

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks Jan!

My husband isn't sure this will work. We had a long conversation last night and I explained that I need to find a way to live my entire life, not just the times when I am losing weight!

Today is day one! I will post my SUCCESS later! :D
"The truth of the matter is that you know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."

Jane

Day One!

Post by Jane » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:17 am

Day 1: SUCCESS!

B: Luna Bar, Prunes, Raisins
L: Thai Beef Satay, Cucumber Salad
D: 2 soft fish tacos and a beer (light!)

AND NOTHING ELSE!! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Days 2 and 3: S days! Kept things somewhat under control, but ate cake, bagels, chocolate and those asian rice crackers. But I did do 2 hours of urban rangering yesterday!

Obviously I like my processed carbs! My husband says it's my Irish stomach-my stomach is the most settled when I eat bread, pasta and potatoes!

Plan for this week: keep on the No S plan, introduce shovelgloving and keep up with my son and husband! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS!!

Almost not a success-I was really fighting it yesterday, but I won! I was having a mental argument with myself.."This isn't going to be low enough calories" or " You can't do this". I realized that this is the key to my continuing yo-yo dieting!

I have never learned moderation! It's either feast or famine with me. I am looking forward to figuring this out!

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:30 am

Day 5: SUCCESS!

Again, a bit of a struggle. Have had a wicked sweets craving all evening. The funny thing is that I am not a real sweet eater-I like my fat greasy and crunchy!

Instead of saying NO! to myself- I said "wait till Saturday and we'll see".

Until tomorrow!

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Day 6: SUCCESS!
Yippee! Didn't choose the best foods for my platefuls, but I have to take time to acknowledge that it was only 1 plateful!

Starting to feel okay with this, not hungry between meals and I peeked-I've lost 1 pound!!

I think I will weigh myself at each 7 day mark until I get to my goal. Right now I am 5'5" and 163 pounds. I am shooting for 149, at the high end of the BMI scale for my height, but right for me and my age (47).

:D

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 am

Day 7: SUCCESS

Did really well with my one plate thing today. Did go to sons school open house and eat some cookies. I might consider this a failure, but I am looking at this as success because I became aware of how unconscious this behavior is at times!

I guess I was distracted by Sandra Bullock-her step daughter attends my son's school-cool to see her in person. She was very nice!

On to battle another day! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS!!!

Days 9 and 10: S Days went a little nuts, but consciousness raising!

I am just amazed at this. This diet is pushing my buttons, really getting at the core of my long term weight issues!

Happy Monday everyone!

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Jane, welcome!!

It sounds like you are doing great!

You're first post cracked me up-I can identify!!

"After over 20 years of gaining (hating myself) and losing (liking myself) the same 30 pounds over and over and over I am here."

"It's no no no until you lose weight and then I explode with a big YES and eat everything in sight! "

Good luck! I know you will like it here-everyone is really helpful, friendly, and supportive.

Again, welcome, and here's to continued success!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS!!!

Wow! A breakthrough! Had my usual day yesterday-not the best choices (fast food lunch) but still adhering to the No S rules.

Went to a Boy Scout pizza party last night. I was starving and would have eaten the pizza box! I had 2 pieces of pizza and a nice slice of watermelon! Then automatic Jane said, "oh look, cupcakes for dessert!". Almost without thinking No S Jane said "What day is today? It is M-o-n-d-a-y. There is NO S in this day! Is that cupcake worth derailing 9 days of success?" And very fortunately the answer was no cupcake today, but maybe one this weekend!

So far, so good! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS!!!

Still not getting the food chemistry right--VERY hungry before meals! Gotta eat more protein!

Cementing the habit day by day!!!! Yipppeee! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Day 11: SUCCESS!!!

Went a little nuts on crackers (low fat) last night-But they fit on the plate!

Had a funny observation this morning-I have glucose intolerance and have been told that I need to eat small amounts frequently because I get the shakes and feel "weird" when I don't eat.

I have been experimenting with food and times that I eat. If I eat each of my meals in the traditional sense-Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and IF I eat a nutritionally balanced meal-I don't get the shakes! And I don't need to eat between meals! I get appropriately hungry at meal times!

This is all very interesting! I am actually enjoying figuring this all out! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:01 pm

DAY 12: SUCCESS!!!

This is getting a little easier every day. Wondering if I am losing much weight-need to dial back the calories a bit, I think.

I get so tired of losing weight, but I know I can do it! :

Shovelgloved for the first time yesterday! With a broom-one step at a time!!

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 am

Day 13: SUCCESS!!!

Days 14 and 15: S days! Had a lot of aggravation this weekend and ate candy! Not even my favorite! Well at least they were S days!!

Looking forward to a less aggravating week!!

Closing in on 21 habit forming days!

:D

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue May 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Day 16: SUCCESS!!!

But I'm not feeling it. I am GAINING weight! Of course I know why. I am following No S to the letter-no snack, no sweets, no seconds on non-s days AND eating way too many calories on non S days. I am also eating very high calories during my meals on S days.

I also know that saying that NO S is a failure is saying that I can't handle eating a normal, healthy diet. And the fact is at this point I can't and haven't consistently for the past 30 years. I love food and am a great cook. but rarely cook during the week.

I am 47 with 14 pounds to lose to be on the high end of "healthy" for my height. I have some health issues, but nothing major that would interfere with losing weight. I do Pilates twice a week for an hour, but don't walk much.

Soooo, I am proposing the following to myself:
1. Continue with No S
2. Eat SENSIBLE food that I enjoy
3. Walk 1/2 hour per Non S days, Continue with 1 1/2 hour Sunday walk.
4. Continue with Pilates 2 X week
5. Post food intake so that I (and everyone else) can see
6. Acknowledge that I am fighting a battle that I am going to WIN!!!!

Okay, enough babbling for today. Time to get on with the business of living! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed May 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Day 17: SUCCESS!!!

Still haven't implemented my revived plan, but sticking to the No S. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. I will pull myself together! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu May 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Day 18: SUCCESS!!!

Still plugging along, still made poor dietary choices, but kept to the No S rules.

I am continuing the fight!!! Kinda funny for me that my 21st day will be an S day! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri May 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Day 19: SUCCESS!!!

More of the same, following No S and eating a bit too much. This is a real issue for me but I AM SURE I will conquer this!

No sense going back to the yo-yo thing. I have to make "peace" with myself and feed my body good food!

Day by day...meal by meal....I'm getting there!!!

Jane

Post by Jane » Sat May 05, 2007 1:49 pm

DAY 20: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was Friday, soooo today must be DAY 21!!!!!!!!!

After 21 days I can say the following:
1. Lost 1 pound!!!!!!!!!
2. Gained a better understanding of my self defeating behaviors
3. Started eating like a normal person not a dieter

Still to work on:
1. EXERCISE!!!
2. PORTION CONTROL!!!

Yiiipeee!! Onward!!! :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Mon May 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Awesome!
You deserve a big pat on the back. How does it feel to be "normal" instead of a dieter?
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon May 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Paulrone-Thank you!! It is unusual to feel "normal" towards food. For many years I've either been dieting or gaining weight. This feels so much better!!!! :D

Day 22 was an S day. My S days this weekend were excess, but my good friends 50th birthday was worth it!

A new week and new chances to succeed! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue May 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Day 23: SUCCESS!!!

Still fighting! Had a very aggravating day yesterday. I am the treasurer for my son's Boy Scout troop (50 scouts) and last night's meeting was very trying.
At least I didn't eat after the meeting!!!! :D Looking forward to Mothers Day weekend- gonna do lots of gardening!

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm

My son's troop is only 11 boys. I can't imagine 50. Someone would have to die. Most likely a disagreeable parent.

Is killing better than snacking? It IS in line with the no-S rules, unless we decide to include No-Slaying.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Paulrone, 50 is a handful for a troop! My son has a blast though and only SOME of the parents think that BSA stands for "Babysitters of America". Most are pretty helpful and involved-it's a good troop!

My son is 13 (14 in August) and a Life Scout so we are pretty sure he will make it to Eagle! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed May 09, 2007 5:28 pm

Day 24: Success!

Today is Day 25 and I am still experimenting with WHAT to eat in the am. I get serious blood sugar issues. It's a toughie to find a meal that will fit the following criteria: I have to like it; I have to be able to eat it at work (I start work at 7 am); and it has to hold me until lunch. I had cereal and a banana this am and it is 10 am and I am feeling shaky.

More experimentation!!! :D

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Could you eat your breakfast a little later to hold you longer?

Also, I find oatmeal to work very well. You could have a glass of milk with the oatmeal and a banana? Or some nuts along with the oatmeal so you have protein to help hold you?

Julie

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu May 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks Julie! I think the key is getting protein in there! I will continue to experiment!

Day 25 was success and I triumphed again over automatic thinking Jane. I was going for some Triscuits after dinner and stopped myself! Yay! Low fat Triscuits won't hurt much, but the HABIT will!

Another day, another chance for success! :D

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri May 11, 2007 3:18 am

Day 26: SUCCESS!!! HOWEVER, I am super annoyed with myself. I only ate a plateful of dinner, but I could have done with 1/2 plateful.

Always have this fear in the back of my head of not having enough to eat. Yeah, I had some hairy family experiences as an adolescent when that was a reality. But I am now 47, financially and emotionally stable, but what gives?

Amazing how some of that stuff imprints itself in your brain. Well, never too late to retrain yourself. I was unable to touch my toes a year ago and perserverance and Pilates brought me a much more flexible body.

Just another kind of stretchin' to do!!! :D

Jane

Starting again!

Post by Jane » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 pm

I don't even know how much weight I need to lose--but it's around 30 lbs. I turn 50 in a few months and I am DONE counting calories. Thought I would come back here because just eating sensibly on a regular basis is a challenge for me. I just eat too damn much!

I am back to no Sing! Fortunately today is an S day--starting slowly! :D

SavvyV

Yes You can do it!

Post by SavvyV » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 am

Just keep at it, one day at a time. You can do this! Like you said, it's never too late to retrain your brain. I have found it to be true that once the good habits are ingrained it will feel strange to go back to doing things the old way.
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

Jane

Day 1..again

Post by Jane » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:33 am

SUCCESS!!

and no Diet Coke!