The Preacher's Confessions

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

The Preacher

The Preacher's Confessions

Post by The Preacher » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 pm

I've been working with this diet for a week or two. Slowly adapting. Decided to join the fun online today.

Today is a Tuesday -- As of 6:24 pm -- Success. Piled one high dinner plate, but I was pretty hungry. Plan to maintain success till bedtime. I'll confess if I fail.
Last edited by The Preacher on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hereby command you: Be strong and couragous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. -- Joshua 1:9

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:46 am

I help to keep myself on track by reminding myself of Proverbs 11:1. Keep it up and it will all come together!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 am

Hi Mimi. Good choice!

SUCCESS!
I hereby command you: Be strong and couragous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. -- Joshua 1:9

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:21 am

Hey Preach!!!

Glad you are here.

It seems like a lot of us here tend to pile up the plates in the begining. Try not to feel guilty about it. If anything, its better to eat a little more in the beginning so your body can get used to going a couple of hours without food. (I eat three meals a day, but on the days I get up super early I eat four meals).

Good Luck

Dru

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:28 am

Thanks Dru. Even though my plates are pretty big right now, I am eating much less than I was. It is becoming obvious that much of my eating was completely mindless. By that I mean that I was eating without even thinking about it. There is no doubt that I'm eating less now than I have been for years. It is neat to know that a few months from now I will be eating less than I do now. I can see this happening without even really trying.

Today: SUCCESS

My parents are coming to visit me. They arrive tomorrow and will be here for a little over a week. We only see each other a couple of times a year, so I'm treating this as vacation time as presented on the No S website. I will do the standard no s, but with extra grace. Next week I'm having oral surgery. I will not No S as I recover, but excessive calories will not likely be a problem then anyway.

Bee

Post by Bee » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:10 am

Preach,
Good job doing NoS. It is great you're here. It sounds cheesy, but learning about NoS has totally changed how I think about food. I enjoy it now, and I don't overdo it, don't obsess over it, don't put it in my face constantly for no good reason. I hope it turns out to be as great for you.

I just want to say I think you're wise to treat your parents' visit as vacation and relax the NoSing but keep the guidelines in the back of your mind. One of the toughest things for me has been dealing with these kinds of situations. It is one thing to resist the temptation to snack when you're doing your regular routine. It is another thing when you're hanging out with your family who you rarely see, you're all relaxing, there's guacamole, it is your favorite food on planet EARTH, etc etc. You don't have to be on a tropical island to have a little vacation. Over time you'll figure out how to deal with all different kinds of situations in the way that is best for you, but for now, work on building habits. Keep it up, you're doing great!

B

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Good to see you here!!
I agree with cvmom, I piled my plates pretty darn high in the beginning! But now I am down to normal portions and I'm not anxious or worried about getting to the next meal.

Things will come together for you, if you keep at it, your body adjusts. I am a reformed permasnacker, I ate a LOT mindlessly all day.

Now sometimes I even forget to eat until my 3 yr old tells me 'he's' hungry.

Keep up the good work!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Tue May 08, 2007 12:11 am

Have not abandoned this system. I'm simply recovering from oral surgery. After I get better, I will return to No S.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 08, 2007 11:27 am

Be good to yourself! We've missed you.
mimi

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Wed May 16, 2007 1:03 am

I'm back after recovery and a little bit of relapse.

Day One: SUCCESS!

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 pm

FAILURE

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Some vices/sins seem to have a stronger pull than others, don't they? Food seems to pull me like nothing else. Sometimes I think I will never overcome this pull.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 am

milczar - You're going to make it my friend! When we slip, there is always tomorrow. I'm rooting for you.

My failure today (May 16) was an accident. I had a sandwich for lunch and was offered a Coke. I didn't think about it until I was half-way through the Coke. I don't feel bad about it. At the end of the day, I did a heck of a lot better than before No S.

Now, there will be some days that I "fail" but will consider it a "success". Here is what I mean. As a preacher, people often offer food. I used to say "no" when I was dieting, but I hurt people's feelings. Jesus told his disciples to eat what was placed in front of them. My saddest example was a 97 year old lady who baked a cake for me. She said, "This is the last cake I'll ever bake and it is for you". Well, I was low-carbing at the time. I thanked her and took it home, but I threw it away. If I could go back, I would have enjoyed a slice and shared it with others. A few months later I was delivering her funeral.

So, in "ministry situations" I will eat what is set in front of me out of kindness. However, while this sort of thing is common, it is not frequent enough to make a meaninful dent in this No S lifestyle.

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Fri May 18, 2007 3:13 am

SMASHING SUCCESS

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 18, 2007 11:46 am

Bravo, Preacher!

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 pm

FAILURE

It's cool. I was busy. Worked through lunch. Next thing I know it is 3:30pm. I make my way to Pizza Hut and ....... protect the women and children! LOL

Hey, tomorrow is Saturday. Monday I'll get back on the horse.

(If you count a large pizza pan as a plate I didn't fail!) :wink:

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Hm-m-m...probably not! Tomorrow's another day!

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Fri May 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Sorry I have not posted for a week. For some reason I have not been doing this diet this past week. I don't have an excuse. Soooo....here's the deal - I'm going to stop posting for a while. I hope to be back. I just want to "be real" about it. When I started I was following and excited. This past week I have simply chosen to fail.

I plan to return, because this plan makes sense to me. However, I don't want to pretend. God-willing, I'll be back. I remember how many attempts I took to quit smoking. I just don't want to log when I'm not fully committed to the program.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend friends!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 26, 2007 11:47 am

See you when you're ready Preacher!