Blondie Log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:05 am

Hey Blondoid! Hows the running girl today???
I nagged you a bit on Lethaltoenails thread.. Hope you caught it, and hope you don't mind the nagging a bit....
It's with nothing but good wishes and love...
See you later Blondiegator!
Peace,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:11 am

Oops, I just sent you an email about this...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:21 am

Sorry for the presumptuous quality of my post before!!!
Occasionally, I do tend to have some blurred lines regarding the propriety of communication, when things feel free and open... I'm, shall we say, a bit too *uninhibited* at times..
I wouldn't like someone telling me what to do..
I'm just really really really against all that stuff and it is hard for me to withhold prescriptive advice on it, though, Madame Deb ain't no doctor!
Thanks for sharing Blondie :wink:
You are ultra awesome!!!

Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:25 am

Day 40.6 = success.

Good day. Peanuts = yum. Great run--Four miles including 20 minutes of mini hill repeats. I can feel myself getting in better shape every day. I also did weights and a little while on a stationary bike to stretch my legs.

ALSO! One of the guys at the gym asked me to play in a fall flag football league and of course I agreed, even though in no way will I have enough time while training (plus doesn't it sound like an EXCELLENT way to get injured?). But, oh well, I could use the chance to meet some new peeps--my social life is getting a little stale. :shock:

Good night y'all. TGI-the night before F. :lol:

navin

Post by navin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:19 pm

Flag football actually sounds pretty fun! I have a feeling you'll get injured less there than you would with tackle football. :lol:

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:26 pm

We played a coed game of Flag Football with a bunch of couples at a Christmas party last year. The only thing I got out of it was "Girls, Go Long! Go Long!!!" I hope your friend lets you get in the action.

D.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:55 pm

Dru, actually this league has a rule that amounts to "first and girl..." a woman has to touch the ball every four downs, so usually first down is "wasted" on throwing it to a woman (to get it out of the way I guess).

I don't know what I was thinking, though...I can't do it because it conflicts with teaching swimming lessons. Boo. :x

navin

Post by navin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:12 pm

Yeah, most co-ed leagues have rules like that... sometimes they make things fairer... sometimes they seem patronizing. I played in an intramural co-ed basketball league in college, and they handled it by saying shots from a woman count double (e.g., 4 for a 2-pointer and 6 for a 3-pointer), and guys could not jump to block women.

Of couse, it stands to reason that the team that won it all was one with a tall girl who was great at shooting 3-pointers. :D

My hockey league doesn't have any special rules though... go figure.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:08 pm

Day 40.8 was Friday. Swam and cycled in the morning and got to bed super early after a nice carby meal.

Day 40.9 was Saturday. Got up around 530 am to get in a 10 mile run before teaching swimming lessons. Had a good day, doing errands and cleaning and stuff and proceeded to stay up waaaay too late Sat night (but in a good way, hanging out with friends :). )

Day 40.10 was Sunday. Cycled for a while to stretch the legs from Saturday's run. Bummed around and walked a TON, somehow.

Still tired today. Skipped the gym. Hope everyone's revving up nicely for the week...:)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:38 am

Day 40.11 (Monday) - 40.15 (Friday)

Hey all. I've been MIA this week, I guess. I had a two-day training in the middle of the week, I had/have a sinus infection (I know, I can't catch a break. It's always been the case that whenever I get a cold, my sinuses get infected--something about the structure/size of them in my head :) ), so I've just not been around too much. I have been reading y'all's checkins, and everyone is doing great, though...

ANyway, despite being sick-ish, it's been a largely successful week. Two great successes had to do with the training, actually...free donuts and muffins, of which I ate NONE--probably because my congestion would have prevented me from tasting them anyway. ;)

No problems with NoS, except some funny stuff Wednesday night (virtual plating of some nachos and pizza, which in themselves are not food choices I make on any sort of regular basis!!), but that's fine with me, it was a fun night. :)

I've laid off the swimming this week because the sniffly stuff is definitely aggravated/caused by chlorine for me.

On the other hand, my running didn't suffer at all this week. I ran Tues, Wed, Thurs (5, 3, 4), cycled yesterday, and did my weight training stuff Tues and Thurs. (and will today)

I'm feeling a lot stronger--especially in my back and shoulders--I think this is because I added pushups back in. I used to be able to do a LOT of pushups for a woman, but somewhere along the line I stopped doing them regularly. Pushups are such a great multi-muscle exercise (I tend not to do the exercises that isolate one or two muscles at a time--I'm no body builder ;) ), so now I've added them back in. I started very slowly (for me), with 4 sets of 5 (3 times per week), and each week I add one pushup to each set. I'm up to 4 sets of 9. Feels good. Maybe I'll try pullups next--but I doubt I could do ONE. :shock:

Anyway, today will be very busy. In a few minutes I head out for a 12 mile run. :shock: THis will be the longest in quite a while. I've stuck with 10 miles for several weeks to make sure I'm ready...so here goes (fingers crossed please for no muscle or tendon crash and burn, but I don't think it should be a problem).

Then, I need to clean up my apt, I have a manicure at noon, then a baseball game at 1:20 and a rooftop bbq after that. Plenty of opportunities to fall off the NoS wagon (realizing it's an S day, but I don't wanto to overdo anything), so I'll need to practice my mindful eating (do I REALLY want that?)

So, I'll report back about how it goes. Otherwise, have a great weekend, all! 8)

Mandy

Kevin

Pushups

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:45 pm

There have been lots of discussions of these exercises lately, all over the board. Interesting that we all seem to hit on them at the same time.

VanillaGorilla and I are racing to one set of 100. Given he's younger and ex-millitary, I'm sure he'll get there first. I'm up to a first set of 70, daily count of about 250... He's doing similar numbers with 25 lbs on his back.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm so glad you are having a manicure. At lease we have that in common!!! :lol: :lol:

Have a great one Mandy.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:29 pm

VanillaGorilla and I are racing to one set of 100. Given he's younger and ex-millitary, I'm sure he'll get there first. I'm up to a first set of 70, daily count of about 250... He's doing similar numbers with 25 lbs on his back.
Yowza. I figure I would make it up to a TOTAL of 100--in sets of 25...but comparing male and female shoulders, backs, and chests is really apples and oranges, I guess. Maybe I'll surprise myself and become a GI Jane type. ;)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 pm

Kevin - I was talking to some other guys about pushups, and (though I know you didn't exactly say that you think that one way is better than the other), they both thought I should work my way up by fatiguing my muscles in one (or two) sets rather than the way I'm doing it. Whaddya think?

This weekend made Day 40.16 and 40.17. Eating-wise, very tame. After my big run, I had the following sandwich: hummus, artichokes, tomato, and red onion on toasted ciabatta. Oh. My. Bob. Yum. Then I went to a baseball game and had an ice cream cone. Then I went to a bbq and all I had was a veggie burger on a wheat bun (and mustard, tomato, and onion). No appetizers, no potato salad, no dessert--I wasn't depriving myself, I just didn't want it all. I also had a few glasses of wine and a few beers later than night.

Sunday was fine. I had brunch that ended up being too heavy (crab creole omelet with potatoes and a biscuit--sooo good at the time but gave me quite a lead belly).

My 12 mile run on Saturday went AWESOME, and I cycled yesterday to stretch it out (but actually I wasn't even sore).

That is all. Happy Monday NoSers

Kevin

Pushups

Post by Kevin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:30 pm

Personally, I think either method will do. Some days I do fewer sets to exhaustion (like say 4 sets to 55-60), other days I'll do 10 of 40 scattered throughout the day. Maybe that's a good aproach: alternate.

Maybe VG will weigh in.

Sorry you went to Saturday's #$%%$# game... Friday night was a better day. Big road trip against the Braves coming up. Maybe they'll be competitive this week. Can't wait till September. Zimmerman's back on third now in Harrisburg, so maybe it'll be him playing for Castilla, with Carroll at short, Vidro at second and Johnson at first. It'll be fun to see the new guy, who apparently is the Real Thing.
Kevin

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:31 pm

You guys are really Jocks!!!!!!
Alright!!!!

Hey Blondie, you sure have great taste in food!
I want your sandwich NOW!!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:16 am

Deb--only problem was the sandwich was lacking kalamata olives... :wink:

Ok, I do think the habit is in place. Finally. While I didn't have a problem with snacking, sweets, or seconds while I was in the first 21 days, it seemed more because I was following the rules...I think now it doesn't occur to me to eat between meals, etc.

Mon 40.18 - Tues 40.19 SUCCESS!

Everything going well, feeling good. Ran 7 miles on Mon, cycled and lifted yesterday, about to do 4 miles of mini hill repeats in about 15 minutes. One thing that is a little annoying is that the more I run (during the week, meaning when I build up the mileage for a given day), the less time I have to walk. So in order to make it to work at a decent hour (and not have to wake up at 430 instead of 515 am...) I've had to take the Metro more--which I HATE. Oh well.

Oh, and my first cousins and their families who live in New Orleans are ok (but worried about their houses--have you guys seen the looters on TV?). One went to Houston, the other to South Florida. No word on when they'll try to go back home--one has two children under 2 years old, so... :shock:

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Mandy, that's great (the habit in place and the exercise). It's very inspiring.

I'm sorry to hear you have relatives who had to evacuate! What a wretched situation to be in.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:28 pm

Doh!

Wednesday 40.20: all good.
Thursday 40.21 (which really would have been 3x21 for me): ICE CREAM late at night with a friend. We had been out having a few beers, forgot to have ANY dinner (except exactly one handful of popcorn--and I have small hands), so mint cookies and cream when we got back home seemed like a brilliant idea.

Doh! Blondie, you silly little girl. Made bad choices today. I'm starting over again. :shock: :roll:

Also ate a HUGE (but NoS-compliant) breakfast this morning. Whew.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:29 pm

Hey everyone--I'm still alive. Life's been getting in the way of my INternet habit. :shock:

Will catch up on everyone else and post about me asap. Hope all is well. 8)

Blondie

Blondie revisited!

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Hellllllloooooooooooooo No-S-ers!
Good to see some of the old kids are still hanging out at the pool--hi Reinhard, Deb, Navin, Kevin, Jan, CaroleJo, Tricia, Dru...etc!

I've been gone a long time! How is everyone?? I read some of your stuff, and everyone seems to be doing great!

Since I last tuned in, the most significant thing that has happened is that I have totally stopped exercising (around mid-October, with a few runs here and there). I know, can you believe it? I went from running 30 miles/week, swimming, and kickboxing (plus walking 4-5 miles per day) to NADA!

Ok, so the main reason is that's when I started dating my new (now 6 months) boyfriend. Lame-O excuse, I know. It's just never the right time--he's musician, so I spend late nights at his gigs, he's not a runner, etc [insert more excuses].

On the other hand, those of you who remember me know that I was a rabid exerciser, maybe too rabid...so I was kind of thinking that maybe my body just needed a break. I did actually get injured around then, which took me out of the action, and combined with meeting L, I think what should have been a few-week break turned into SIX MONTHS! Yikes! I remember LIKING getting up at 5 to run...but since I've been out of it for a while, 5 am comes EARLY and bed feels GOOD at that hour.

The good news is that I think the NoS part stuck. Not ALWAYS, but it never occurs to me to snack at work, for example, and seconds never happen. Sweets sometimes, but not really. I've managed to lose a few more pounds since I last posted. I expected that I would have gained, what with being out more, no exercise etc., but actually L and I walk a lot and he's a great and healthy cook, so after an intial gain (again, eating out a lot, drinking more), I'm back down a few.

Anyway, no more excuses! I think I started in July at 151, got down to around 138, gained a few, and this morning I weighed 135. I'd like to get to 125. I anticipate a little gain a few pounds in muscle mass when I start exercising again, but that's ok, my clothes will tell the truth :)

So, today is the day I start keeping track--I'm using this more for keeping me accountable for exercising, but the NoS is important so I'll do that, too!

Day 1 is today, so I'll report my
SUCCESS tomorrow!

Nice to be back, ya'll.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Hello Blondie Girl.

Wow, it is great to hear from you. You must be in love. That is a wonderful thing. Congratulations. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I weigh about the same as you and my goal is the same as yours so who knows. Funnily enough I started running. My pilates teacher says that's the surefire way to get rid of my tummy. But, last week I ran too hard and so my knees have been balking. Tommorrow, if it is not Freakin' Raining I am going on a hike. We have had so much rain here that even I, the light hearted optimist am getting down!!!!

Anway, I don't post too much anymore because I don't want to bore anyone to tears with my No S life since it is, like you said, pretty basic. But, I'm glad to hear that you are well and happy.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks, Dru, I remember that we had similar specs.

So you took my running while I was gone? Great--keep it up! Knees are tricky, make sure to stretch your quads and hams and calves after you run, while muscles are warm. I also do walking lunges to keep my legs strong and support the knees. Also MAKE SURE you have decent running shoes that are suited to your foot's anatomy and your running style.

Wow, am I bossy!

ANYWAY! Day 1 = SUCCESS!
And I actually went for a short run when I got home from work (this is unusual, I used to be a strictly BEFORE work runner). Maybe a schedule change will get me back into it.

Carry on, everyone!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Funny stuff: 2 virtually-plated Ritz crackers and some tasting while chopping asparagus. :)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Hey Mandy :)
Congratulations on your new relationship, and exciting developments of partying all night long!!!
Rock on!!!!!
LOL...

But seriously folks, don't totally stop exercising for anyone except YOU..
If you don't want to, then don't, but it's been my life experience that when you stop doing things you love because of a life partner, it isn't too great..
Your fun and enjoyment of exercise was sooo rabid, that I just can't imagine you not wanting to keep it up on some moderate level...
Hope your injury healed up well..
Wow.. I am soooo jealous of your weight girl!
LOL..

Good for you for sticking to NoS all this time! It's the best right?

Have a nice weekend and let's see some pics of you and yo music playing bo sometime! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Blew it on day 8, somehow. Errant late-night cheese sandwich. I think I have to start eating a little more at meals now that I'm running again. (yay!)

Let's get this started again, shall we? And on a day-before-S-day!

So, today, Friday, April 21, if successful, will be Day 1. There's no way a sentence should have that many commas.

Blondie

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Tuesday, February 13 will be Day 1.

I posted some details about my return on the how-much-weight-have-you-lost thread.

Wish me luck, grace, power...whatever...!

Kevin

Hello again...

Post by Kevin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm just back myself after an eight month posting hiatus!
Kevin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Great minds, Kevin, I tell ya, great minds.

I'm not in DC anymore...but my pops has season tix for the Phillies, so I may have to get back to my roots!!

Hope you're doing well...!

Mandy

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:37 pm

Sigh. I guess I'm the only Nats fan on the site.

But isn't it great? Pitchers and catchers reported this week!

Pretty soon the grass will be green, the hats will be red (whether a Philly or a Nats fan), and the comforting sound of a baseball game on the radio during a summer evening will fill the air...

My boy just started playing club team ball (he's 13). It's so great to have another fan in the house. I thought my daughter liked baseball, but she only goes with me to look at Zimmerman and Church...
Kevin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Pfffft. Friday night. Stoopid nachos.

Okay, NOW (actually yesterday) Day 1. Day 1 was good. :D

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Pfffft.

Ok, TODAY is day 1.

Blondie

OPENING DAY!!

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Hey ya'll. Back again (again).

Today is day 1 again (again). This new beginning is dedicated to Kevin. Thanks, my friend--it's because of you I'm back today. :D For anyone who's counting I only have 5-10 pounds to lose, but I need to get a handle on my habits. Looking for some sanity.

Peace,
Blondie

PS: And it's the Phillies...grew up in Boston, just moved back to Philly from DC...so add that all together and accusing me of being a Mets or Yankees fan is, well, I don't quite have the words...haha. Heading to the game on Wednesday here against the Braves. Play ball!!!!!!!!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Monday, April 2, DAY ONE: SUCECSS
Tuesday, April 3, DAY TWO: SUCECSS

I can feel it taking hold already! :D

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Good luck Blondie! Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm getting back on it again for the millionth time. Just scanning through check-ins for motivation (which I terribly need).

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks, Sinnie...you can do it!

Wednesday, April 4, DAY 3: SUCECSS

Some close calls...including baklava in the break room and some wandering around the cupboards after dinner...but I resisted. Yay, me.

Blondie

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 am

Baklava in the Breakroom, what a great name for an emo rock band. I mean, if you can name a band Panic at the Disco...

I'm watching the Nats lose to the D'backs... Doh! Note to Bowden: hire pitchers! Wait... Kearns just banged one to the corner of left field... Young just walked and Snyder's up with the bases loaded and two outs...

Signing off now... Good work avoiding the junk!
Kevin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Thursday, April 4, DAY 4: SUCCESS

Now Friday. Always the challenge...

So far, so good except that I'm actually cheating with lunch. It's still pretty low calorie, and also happens to be healthy (an apple, half a small cup of soup, a salad (nothing fancy, just the vegs, oil and vinegar) and a piece of bread), but it's not one plate. I'm not worried about it really at this point beause I've lost a pound this week already, but also because of the content and because it works for habit-building, but I'm aware of it. We'll see.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Yo, Mandy????

Just checking in!

Fridays are always the toughest to get through, aren't they? It's a normal American thing to want to start enjoying the weekend!

Hope all is well.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks for the shout, Dru.

Friday last week was fine...but then this week got stupid. I was sick all week. I could have forgiven one day as a Sick day, but there was really no reason for it (or the other one).

So, starting again. Day 1!! Friday, to give myself a running start! :D

Have a good weekend everyone!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Day 1 again: SUCCESS!

And on a Friday, no less, which is always tough. And Friday the 13th!

Hope everyone's weekend was good!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Plus ran 4 miles and did yoga.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Day 3, Tuesday, April 17: SUCCESS

Plus ran 5 miles and did yoga.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Day 4, Wednesday, April 18: SUCCESS

Plus ran 5 miles.

:D :D :D

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Day 5, Thursda, April 19: SUCCESS

Plus ran did a 5K race in the evening...slowly. 8)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Day 6, Friday April 20: SUCCESS

Plus ran 10 miles and did yoga!
:D :D :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi Mandy.....10 MILES!!!! Wow. That's amazing. How long did it take you? I finally forced myself to run 3 miles on Friday. It only took an extra 4 minutes.

I am impress with your efforts. Yoga is a good counter workout to running, isnt' it?

Have a great week!!!

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Day 7, SaturdayApril 21 S DAY :D
Day 8, Sunday April 22 S DAY :D

Day 9, Monday April 23: SUCCESS
Ran 3 miles and did yoga.
8) 8) 8)

Dru, I don't think I timed my 10 miler, but I train pretty slowly, so I probably took at least an hour and a half (I race only slightly faster haha).

And yes, yoga is a WONDERFUL complement--it stretches those impossible to stretch muscles...plus muscles I didn't even know I had!!

Keep up the running--you're making great improvements, eh?!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:17 pm

Day 10, Tuesday April 24: SUCCESS
Ran 5 miles but skipped yoga :( .

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Day 11, Wednesday April 25: SUCCESS
Ran 3 miles.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:22 am

Good Lord, but that lineup can hit. I thought the Phils were nuts moving Abreau to the Yanks, but they still have plenty of bats, don't they...

Glad to hear you are doing well. You're putting in lots of miles, aren't you? I don't know that I could walk 10 miles if I tried...
Kevin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 pm

GO PHILS!!! 8) 8) 8)

Anyway, blew it a bit on Thurs-Fri, so I'll start over today. Doh!!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 pm

However I did run Thurs, Fri,and yesterday (3, 3, 5 miles), so I'm still kicking, just had a few errant bite size Almond Joys. Oh well. :)
Last edited by Blondie on Thu May 03, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed May 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Day 1, Tuesday, May 1: SUCCESS.

I ate too much at the meals, but it was all legal.

Didn't run Tuesday, but ran 5 miles Monday.
Last edited by Blondie on Thu May 03, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu May 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Day 2, Wednesday, May 2: SUCCESS
Plus ran 5 miles.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 pm

Day 3, Thursday, May 3: SUCCESS
Plus ran 3 seemingly eternal miles.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 am

Friday, May 4, Day 4: SUCCESS
Ran 5 miles.

Saturday, May 5, Day 5: S Day :D
Sunday, May 6, Day 6: S Day. 10 mile race and set a personal record. I rock. 8)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Day 7, May 7: SUCCESS; ran 5 miles plus yoga.
Day 8, May 8: SUCCESS; ran 5 miles.
Day 9, May 9: SUCCESS
Day 10, May 10 SUCCESS; ran 5 miles.
Day 11, May 11 (today)...ran 5 miles this morning. Will be a success, I can feel it...(update: it WAS a SUCCESS!). :D

Monday- Wednesday was at conference with A LOT of opportunities for snacks and sweets...and I wasn't even particularly tempted. And I'm down a couple of pounds. Feeling much more sane (though insanely busy at work!!) after some bumpy-ish weeks. Yay.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Last edited by Blondie on Mon May 14, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon May 14, 2007 12:20 pm

May 12, Day 12 S Day. Ran 8 miles.
May 13, Day 13 S Day.

The sum total of my S induldences was a chocolate chip cookie at Mother's Day/family birthday dinner.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue May 15, 2007 11:36 am

Is there a secret to being able to run so much and still have knees?
Blondie wrote:May 12, Day 12 S Day. Ran 8 miles.
May 13, Day 13 S Day.

The sum total of my S induldences was a chocolate chip cookie at Mother's Day/family birthday dinner.
Kevin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Haha, Kevin, I wish I knew the secret (or had found it sooner)...I could have saved a bundle of money and a lot of pain in knee surgery and physical therapy...but this time around my body just seems to go with the flow. Go figure.

May 14 Day 14: SUCCESS
May 15 Day 15: SUCCESS Ran 5 miles.
May 16 Day 16: SUCCESS

May 17 Day 17: near success, but snuck three spoonfuls of ice cream out of the carton. Not a disaster, and almost didn't mention it, but there's no point in lying on here and no point in pretending it wasn't a goof (ICE CREAM???)...so today starts day 1 again. So close...anyway, the habit feels good, so I'm sure I'll get it this time :) Ran 3 miles, though.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sun May 20, 2007 8:33 pm

Day 1 (May 19, S day): Ran 5 miles and did yoga.
Day 2 (May 20, S day): Ran 7 miles and did yoga.

8) 8) 8)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Day 3 (May 21): SUCCESS. Yoga.
Last edited by Blondie on Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed May 23, 2007 2:00 pm

Day 4 (May 22): SUCCESS. Ran 4 miles and yoga.
Last edited by Blondie on Thu May 24, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Day 5 (May 23): SUCCESS. Ran 4 miles.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Day 6 (May 24): SUCCESS. Swam a half mile or so.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon May 28, 2007 11:53 am

Day 7 (May 25): SUCCESS. Ran 4 miles.
Day 8 (May 26): S day. Ran 9 miles and did yoga.
Day 9 (May 27): S day. Swam a half a mile and ran 4 miles. Ate when I wasn't hungry, though, which was stupid.

Hope everyone's summer kick-off weekend is going great!!
Last edited by Blondie on Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Day 10 (May 28): S day, but I don't think I had any esses other than a few stray munchies at a bbq. Ran 6 miles and cycled about 8. :)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed May 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Day 11 (May 29): SUCCESS. Swam a half mile and did yoga.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu May 31, 2007 3:22 pm

Day 12 (May30): SUCCESS.

Blondie

I'm back.

Post by Blondie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 pm

Tomorrow will be Day 1. Let's get this party started, shall we?

8)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:00 am

Blondie
Come on in and join us. There are a fair number of returning folk (like myself) joining up with the usual faithfuls.

2008 is going to be a fantastic LOOSING Party!!!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

franxious

Post by franxious » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Blondie,

How are things going?

Lisa

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 am

How much have you lost? Was it hard? What do you eat on a typical day? A huge congrats on your success and the magazine article.

joanna
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Blondie

Hey!

Post by Blondie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks Merry, Joanna, Lisa...sorry, I haven't looked at my check-in since mid-January! Anyway, despite the totally fun and weird magazine experience, the last few months haven't been going very well.

One, time Kevin (the oldies will know him) asked me what my secret was for running so much and still having knees...well, turns out I don't have the secret. My knee is shot. I need a partial knee replacement, but, for other medical reasons, I won't be getting one.

The big thing for me has always been how active I am. Up until Thanksgiving, I was running 30-40 miles per week, in fact I did a half-marathon the week before TG. And now, well, there's a lot of detail that I don't want to go into, but suffice it to say I can't run any more. At all. Probably ever again (there are some contingencies, but if I want to forestall the already-not-too-distant eventual total knee replacement for a while, it's not smart. Add that to the fact that I can't walk up stairs, much less run, right now. Not one stair without pain on my right side.).

Sooo, I've been out of my element. I've gained weight. In fact, in the magazine pic I'm EASILY 7-8lbs over where I like to be, and probably even more now. The way I eat hasn't changed too much, NoS is still the way to go, but when you burn an extra 3000-4000 calories a week through exercise, and then suddenly stop and still eat the same way, well, the math is obvious.

So, that's my story right now. Struggling. Not really looking for alternative exercise suggestions, if you don't mind. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:44 pm

My friend had knee replacement and regretted it, said it was worse after the operation. Everyone is different, though. I hope you feel better. I think any weight loss is an awesome success, even 5 pounds, if it is sustainable and done without deprivation. Feel better

joanna
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks, Joanna. Yes, I'm not anxious for open knee surgery!

To answer your earlier questions, all told I lost about 25 pounds. I exercised a very large amount throughout most of the time, but I also lost weight when I wasn't. I am addicted to exercise, and it really makes me feel and look my best, but for actual weight loss I am a great example of how much more important eating habits are than exercise.

So on a typical day here is what I might eat:

Breakfast:
*Coffee
(only decaf, with skim milk)

*Oatmeal
(I eat plain oatmeal with some combo of frozen or fresh fruit--peaches, berries, bananas, mangoes, whatever--and nuts or peanut butter)

OR

*Multigrain bagel with egg and cheese

Lunch:
*Salad
(to me, "salad" means a huge affair with dark green greens (mesclun, spinach etc) with some combo of protein and fat (tofu, tuna, cheese, nuts, seeds, etc) and tomatoes, carrots, and other fresh veggies. I don't really like most regular salad dressings, so I make my own--either a blend of cottage cheese and salsa or soy sauce and brown mustard.)

*Fresh fruit
(apple, orange, banana, peach)

*Bread
(sometimes I have a piece of bread or a roll or something--always whole grain or whole wheat)

OR

*Tuna on whole wheat
(I don't like mayonaise, so I make my tuna salad with mustard and Old Bay, plus chopped celery and artichoke hears. A slice of tomato is a must).

*Fresh fruit

Dinner
*Stir fry
(veggies--might include broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, peppers, etc--and again, some kind of protein, like fish or tofu. I say "stir fry," but this is just as likely to mean a Mexican or Italian "stir fry," so salsa and cheese or diced tomatoes, balsamic, and basil, as it is soy sauce and asian spices).

*Fresh fruit
(apple, banana, berries, peach, orange)

*Bread
(again, sometimes, the same as lunch)

OR

*Pizza!! :D

OR

*Sushi!! :D :D :D

I don't like juice or soda, so I drink seltzer water, coffee, and herbal tea.

On S days, my treats are usually cookies and frozen yogurt!!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:27 pm

And with that, I think I will start a fresh 21 days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Blondie,

So sorry to hear about the knees. Hope you find a way through this hard transition.

Great eating list - I would love everything on it.

Best wishes,

KCCC

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:06 am

Hey, I am hanging in there. Ate too much crap, but went for a long walk and avoided alcohol.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 am

the site has gone way popular!!!! How are you doing?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your knees, Mandy.

Do you have any ideas for more knee friendly exercises? Swimming, maybe? Biking? (I won't suggest anything involving sledgehammers)

Reinhard

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks, Joanna and Reinhard.

I do swim, but my ability to bike has been effectively destroyed. I usually bike to work (about 5 miles round trip), but barely. My right leg is almost passive on the pedal, and I really only do it because it's quicker than walking and less annoying (parking and traffic) than driving. Basically, it hurts and I try not to inflict any more pain than is necessary to get from A to B.

So, swimming when I'm not too lazy to get all wet and chlorine-y and the elliptical. Which I hate. And yoga, which is great.

It sucks.
What Navin said.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:23 pm

PS: Day 2.

Been slipping a little, just need to refocus.
What Navin said.