Judy's "Seasons and Serenity" Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Judy's "Seasons and Serenity" Check-in

Post by mondurvic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 am

Day 1 - SUCCESS

Meal 1 - sushi

Meal 2 - bagel, butter, cream cheese and lox

Meal 3 - monster-sized omelet with cheese and beef chunks, covered in spinach-and-cheese tomato sauce, with a few buttered potatoes

My appetite was huge today, also had a mid-afternoon craving for sweets, but both were contained by the boundaries of NoS. Sure did eat a lot, though.

Check-in weight on this first day of summer- 243 lbs. Will weigh myself quarterly, on the first day of each season.

Judy

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:51 pm

I love your idea of only weighing yourself at the beginning of each new season! If I weigh too often, I become obsessed with the number on the scale instead of how I look and feel. I have been weighing every 21 days and so far that is working for me. No S has certainly brought me peace and serenity in my relationship with food and eating - what a blessing it is!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

mondurvic

Day 2

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:59 am

SUCCESS

Meal 1 - bagel, butter, cream cheese, lox

Meal 2 - fresh cherries and lychees

Meal 3 - prosciutto and potato salad

Meal 2 really surprised me - nothing but fresh fruit, for heaven's sake! I argued with myself about this, because it felt like I was "wasting" a meal, but I couldn't help it - that was what I wanted. I'm thrilled!

J

bevenson

Congratulations

Post by bevenson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Judy, I weigh very nearly what you do, and am starting my checkin here about the same time. I like your idea of writing a brief note of your meals. Good luck. Barb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:19 am

Sounds like you're off to a good start. The size of your meals will decrease over time, but in the beginning, it's good to eat enough so you don't panic over whether you'll make it to the next meal.

mondurvic

SSSaturday

Post by mondurvic » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:18 am

- Marinated steak and mashed potatoes with peas, butter and yogurt

- pecan shortbread cookies

- lots of Lindt chocolate-hazelnut balls

mondurvic

Saturday, Part II - The Dark Side

Post by mondurvic » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:33 pm

Would that my intake had stopped with the above, or even nearly. Ate a lot, to the point of insane, maddened idiocy, but I believe that continuing on this path (NoS, not idiocy!) is the way to go. My habits will get better, though I'm sure there will always be idiotic episodes.

I have been up all night, as is often the case, and that gave me lots of opportunity to eat. A 24-hour-plus day will do that to you.

bevenson

on binges

Post by bevenson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:17 pm

It helps me to remember that I didn't put all the weight on in a day, and it won't all go away in a day either. One day at a time.

Why are you up for 24 hrs at a time, if that isn't too snoopy....

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm often up into the early hours of the next day because I have trouble falling asleep and since I'm retired, I don't have to work at changing this behaviour. I hate just lying there, sleepless, so I stay up until my head is falling onto my chest, then I go to bed.

I then get a good, solid eight hours sleep, but that might mean waking up late in the day, which means falling asleep even later the next day, etc. A few times a year I get completely upside-down, then revert to normal for a while, then back again.

I have read a good deal about how to treat bad "sleep hygiene", as they call it, and when I implement their suggestions, it works. So I am capable of being normal, but have no real reason to be, so I never persevere for very long. I have a hard time with commitment in general.

Judy

mondurvic

Day 4

Post by mondurvic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 am

S-day, and boy did I eat. Way beyond what I wanted, binging and shovelling food in. Did this mostly without desire, and with a deadly intent. If you were to ask, "Why did you do this?", I'd answer "Because that is what I do." However, I don't, WON'T, be trapped there. I am not quitting on myself.

Prayers most welcome.

Judy

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:29 pm

You can do it Judy!! Hang in there!!! I'm rooting for you!!
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

mondurvic

Monday

Post by mondurvic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm

SUCCESS

Meal 1 - 1 1/2 bagels, butter, cream cheese, lox

Meal 2 - steak, buttered mashed potatoes, peas, corn, a few dolmas

Meal 3 - stuffed chicken breast

mondurvic

Tuesday

Post by mondurvic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 am

SUCCESS

B U T

I have finally gone round the bend with my latest crush food. All three meals today consisted of:

3 bagel-halfs (i.e., 1 1/2 bagels)
butter
cream cheese
smoked salmon

Made one important change at the first two meals, however: had a third to a half of my usual amount of cream cheese and lox. It tasted every bit as good, though it left me a little hungry, but that passed within 15 - 20 minutes, and I was fine till the next meal.

I think cream cheese is too much of a trigger for me to have in the house right now. I can have bagels and smoked salmon here forever without over-doing, but once cream cheese enters the equation, I run amok.

gratefuldeb67

Re: Day 2

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:42 am

[quote="mondurvic"
Meal 2 really surprised me - nothing but fresh fruit, for heaven's sake! I argued with myself about this, because it felt like I was "wasting" a meal, but I couldn't help it - that was what I wanted. I'm thrilled!

J[/quote]

It's moments like this which differentiate NoS from any other diet and really make it special!!!
I have times when I just feel like eating a whole giant bowl of blueberries or half a big cantelope. I don't think of it as grazing or whatnot.. It's my meal. The whole point of this plan is to be simple and maintainable and give us FREEDOM to use our free will..
Sometimes I have half a plate of potato chips.
Bottom line is no matter what you eat, you will lose weight if you stick to three meals a day.. Even with the occasional messup..
Hope you are chilling out a bit more these days Judy, and not so panicky about the occasional failure..
Seems like you're really committing yourself to this again!!
Awesome!!
Me too!!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mondurvic

Thursday

Post by mondurvic » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:06 am

SUCCESS

I decided to do what several recommended, and plan something wonderful for my S days. Normally I would just let it play out.

Don't think this will be a good route for me, because as I contemplated what to have on hand, I got caught up thinking about sweets and developed a craving that wasn't there before. Next time I'll start planning on Friday - decide what to have, buy the ingredients, etc. - but not before then.

Meal 1 - bagel, butter, cream cheese, lox (only one bagel, not 1 1/2, as usual)

Meal 2 - pizza

Meal 3 - lychees, 2 chicken thighs

mondurvic

Friday

Post by mondurvic » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:56 am

SUCCESS - Made it through the week! And was AT PEACE!!!!!

Meal 1 - All-Bran, skim milk, mango

Meal 2 - chicken, BBQ sauce, potato salad, mashed potatoes, peas

Meal 3 - full-fat yogurt with pecans and about 1 T. honey

At first I was scared of Meal 3. Thought it was more of a sweet than a meal. But according to recent posts, as I understand them, it is OK. And man, was it satisfying! Nor did I feel the need or desire for more - it was just perfect as it was. Feel great!

mondurvic

Saturday and Sunday

Post by mondurvic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:21 am

SUCCESS SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:05 am

Yayyyy!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mondurvic

Monday, Canada Day

Post by mondurvic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:10 am

SUCCESS

Though today was a national holiday here in Canada, and I was "entitled" to take an S day, I nonetheless did an N, because it felt right.

mondurvic

Tues.

Post by mondurvic » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:57 pm

SUCCESS - but man, those portions are huge - and worrisome.