katie1980 daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

katie1980

katie1980 daily check in

Post by katie1980 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:07 am

Day 1 (weds) Success! No snacking. Drank water instead, whenever I wanted to eat. Boy did I spend a lot of time in the bathroom yesterday morning! *lol* Probably drank about 6 x 600ml bottles water.

Starting weight: 80kg.
Last edited by katie1980 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

katie1980

Thursday 9 Aug

Post by katie1980 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:49 am

Success!
I managed not to snack at all again yesterday (this is my biggest hurdle at the moment), and didn't have the muffin that was supposed to be included with my dinner (couldn't get a pasta course without one). They didn't deliver it to the table, and I refused to take one when I paid. They wouldn't take any money off the bill, sadly. I really wanted a jacket potato (which you *can* get as just a tattie, and not as a meal with sugary muffins included to tempt you) but they let me down once again on that. They're 2 for 2 on no tatties, even though I made a point to check!

I've been avoiding "soda" where possible, and had fruit juice to drink with my meals, and water between meals. I figure that though juice is quite high in sugar, it's also high in vitamins and minerals, so is better than fizzy drinks.

I'm looking forward to the weekend - it's been a lot easier to stick to this no snacking because I know I can do it again at the weekend should I choose to! Plus, I'm going into the city to meet some new people tomorrow, so it'll be great to be able to eat whatever for lunch, and not feel like I'm missing out. I still don't think I'll go mad, though if I do, at least there won't be the feeling of failure like there would be on a different diet!

And I marked down that I drank 3 600ml bottles of water yesterday. Not as good as Weds, but still good :)

Weight a.m. 78kg
Last edited by katie1980 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:52 am

Friday: Success!
I ate only one plate of food at the chinese for lunch, and managed to escape the bloated "I ate too much" feeling that a lot of the others at the table had! Hurrah :)

Saturday: Success - S day
Went to the Bookcrossing meet, and had a few tasty desserts, etc. Didn't go nuts, but it was nice to be able to really enjoy the mini creme brulee that I had with no guilt at all! :D The cafe we were at is famous for its desserts - the chicken main wasn't so good, but the apple tart and the "tapas" creme brulee were yummy. Bought some biccies for the coach trip back to Melaka, but only ate 1. I just didn't feel the need for them. Ended up having no dinner, because I just wasn't hungry. Probably because lunch had been pretty spread out. Skipping a meal once in a while won't kill me (it's not like I'm starving myself!) and it was good not to feel like I *had* to eat.

Sunday: Success - S day
Again, didn't go mad. Went shopping in the morning, and grabbed a McDonalds for lunch. It was a bit early, really, cos I'd had a relatively late breakfast, but I didn't want to feel like I had to go out again pretty soon just to eat, or be stuck eating hotel food (and paying hotel prices!). Ended up having a hotdog for dinner, instead of the chicken at Nandos that I really wanted, because it was raining when I went for dinner, and having gotten soaked through after lunch, I didn't fancy getting wet again in the same day! Tummy told me about it this morning - it just wasn't too happy. Neither was my head, actually. Still, today is a new day, and I am doing okay so far. Hopefully drinking lots of water instead of snacking will help my head to stop hurting, and my tummy to stop burbling! Neither are anything specific that I can put my finger on, more general aches and pains and "unhappiness".

Weight Monday a.m.: 77.5kg.
Was 76.5 yesterday, but am not disappointed about this, because the trend is still a downwards one, and at least it's not 80 again today!

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:31 am

Monday: Success
Weight was up a bit, but as I know that the numbers on the scale can "lag" a bit behind the truth, I'm not too worried yet. At least I'm not back to where I started. If it doesn't start going down again later in the week, I may have to tweak a few things, but at the moment I'm happy that I'm doing okay, and I can stick with my current activities.

I also did some exercise last night! I'm really pleased. Instead of being tempted to go up to the club lounge (last couple of opportunities to do so before I move out of the hotel, you know!), I decided to do the opposite. I went downstairs and swam a few widths of the pool. I got my heartrate up a bit, but didn't overdo it and exhaust myself! So not only did I not go and ingest random extra calories, but I actually burned a few off :) Hurrah for me!

Then I went for a reasonably healthy dinner at Nandos - the chicken and rice was good, the chips were a little less so, but they did taste good, and are within the "rules"!

Weight Tues a.m: 78kg.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:09 am

Tuesday: Success

I ate a tiny amount of peanuts (about 3) by accident last night. :? I was going for dinner with 2 guys also staying in the hotel, and they wanted pre-dinner drinks. I went along, and there was a bowl of peanuts on the table. I was really hungry (and bored, as thier conversation was all work-based and about things and people that I know nothing about :( ), and took a couple of nuts. :shock: I realised what I'd done as soon as I did it, but couldn't lob the nuts back in the bowl, or easily abandon them on the table! :roll: So I ate them, but like I say, there were only about 3 so I'm classing it as a success. Mainly because I realised straight away, and everything else I did yesterday was good. I even managed to resist the milkshake to drink that I wanted with dinner!

But last night was a late one, because I had to pack my stuff to move out of the hotel. I'm tired today, and I can tell - I have a big urge to snack! I feel like I need a real sugar boost, but have plumped for a coffee instead, as even though I have sugar in that, it's a lot safer than a cake or something! :wink:

As my weight has just stabilised today, and went up earlier in the week, I'm blowed if I'm going to undo the potential to go down this week, just because I'm tired! I'll also have to watch out when I go to Tesco tonight, because I'll likely be tired and hungry then! I have my list, and plan to stick to it. I need to get some scales, or there will be weigh-ins missing. I'm hoping that switching to a different set than in the hotel won't have a detrimental effect, but even if it does, I should only have to switch once!

Weight Weds a.m.: 78kg

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Good job so far Katie. Keep it up.

With daily weighing, I've found that you really have to step on the scale with a "don't care" attitude in the morning to avoid being unnecesarily crushed and/or inappropriately thrilled. My weight has gone seriously up or down in an almost unexplainable fashion more than once during my time doing NoS and daily weighing. See the graph below.
You'll see several spikes, some after weekends that I can understand, others after really successful days that I just can't explain. Keep up the daily weighing if you enjoy it (I do), but don't let yourself get emotionally invested in it at all. You'll notice even with my odd spikes here and there that the overall trend is down.

Continued good luck.

(Note for the curious/confused: the pink data points are my calculated lean weight using the %BF from my bioimpedance scale.)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:16 am

Wednesday: Success

I almost blew it, though - I bought jelly and icecream for dinner! Then I managed to sidestep it by giving it to a person I was eating dinner with and whose birthday it was! A bit cheeky, but it saved me from a failure and she really enjoyed it! I always think jelly and icecream is birthday food, anyway, as it was a staple at birthday parties when we were kids ;)

But I did feel a tiny bit bad that I'd bought it for me and palmed it off on her. :oops: Still, she didn't know, and she did enjoy it, as I said!

I got some scales last night, but when I stepped on them to weigh this morning, I found out that I can hardly read them as they have such tiny numbers and lines on the dial! At least I have some (though with this upward trend at the moment I'm not so sure I like it!), but when I go into town at the weekend, I will keep my fingers crossed to either get some electronic/ digital ones, or ones with a big old dial! They have digital ones in one of the shops, but they're body fat analysers as well, so I'm not sure how expensive they are. I'll have to have a look, I guess. Anyways, I've been given an allowance to furnish the apartment, so it'll come out of that (but any I don't spend I get to keep, so better to spend little and then I don't have as much stuff, and I get more pennies to take home!). I've put in my claim for the allowance, but it's not come through yet.

Brandon, I know what you mean about the "don't care" attitude! I am hoping it'll get easier the longer I do this for :)
And at least if I do it regularly, it ought to act as a reminder of what I'm aiming for each day (no S) and where I'm going :)

Apart from not thinking when I ordered my dinner last night, I did well in Tesco. I'm sure it was helped by the self-imposed money limit I put on my spending by accidentaly leaving my money at work! I only had what was in my purse - and I was 99sen over the limit I told the people I went with! :lol: I was quite impressed, especially as I pretty much lost count about halfway round when a few bits weren't priced. I just tried not to lob everything in my trolley like I usually would, and thought "If I need it, I can come again at the weekend". I got plenty as it was, though!

Weight Thursday a.m: 79kg (I think!). Trying not to worry about this upward trend, and just keeping on keeping on.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 am

Thursday: Success
Though it wasn't easy, because I didn't have much in the apartment for dinner, and didn't know where to go out to (or how to get there!). I had to do a bit of "virtual plating", cos I had an instant noodle cup, and a bowl of cereal. Within the rules (I avoided the biccies and stuff!), but not an ideal way of seeing what I was eating in one go. Never mind, I know I didn't overeat, and I'm off to Tesco in the morning to get stuff for my birthday BBQ in the afternoon, and will pick up some bits and bobs while I'm there. The really annoying thing? I had pasta in my drawer, with sauce as well, which would have been really nice, but I couldn't cook it because I have no saucepans :( Only a wok and a frying pan?! And not only are there no dinner knives, but there are no teaspoons either! :shock:

Ah well, I'm off shopping tonight for supplies, and tomorrow for food and anything else I am unable to get tonight! :)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:49 am

Friday, had coke to drink at lunchtime at the chinese. The dishes came really spread out in time today, so I had to start eating before I had all the food I wanted (partly because it would have looked really odd, and partly because it was getting cold), but I managed not to overeat. I'm just a little over-full. I think that was the fizzy coke, though, more than the food. I need to drink some more water.

I'm classing this as successful so far, because I had basically no choice about the drink. And one soda isn't going to kill me - it's much better than I would be doing otherwise, if I wasn't no S-ing!
Last edited by katie1980 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:04 am

Monday: 80.1kg (on new digital scales whose display is far easier to read than the mechanical ones!)

Okay, so I've gone up a bit, but that's okay, I think, because I'm still not snacking. Today I just have to keep my wits about me, cos I've got the day off and so am in the apartment all day. But I ought to be okay so long as I have regular meals :)

The weekend was good - the BBQ birthday party was generally a success, and lots of people came. I ate cake, and chicken and things, which I was allowed to do. Yesterday I bought 2 pints of Baskin Robbins ice cream, and they're in the freezer for a weekend treat (maybe I'll have some with a movie or something). They're not calling to me yet! I would have had some last night but we went out to dinner, and I had a cone after. It was good!

Late night, cos we went to a DVD shop after dinner, and I bought a few DVDs (it was my birthday!) but it is okay cos I could sleep in a bit today. Didn't sleep as late as I'd have liked, though!

So, just need to stick to the no snacking and no sugar, today, really, as the stuff is just in the kitchen. :wink:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:10 am

Monday: Success

Managed not to snack, though I was home all day, and just drank many cups of tea, which is standard for me when I'm home and trying to do various jobs! :lol: Stuck to the one plate rule for lunch - had 2 pieces of chicken and some noodles. The chicken was left from the BBQ on Saturday, and was great once microwaved :)

Dinner was a bit of a disaster, though, as I wasn't able to figure out how to connect the gas bottle to the hob, so I couldn't cook the noodles I'd planned to eat :( Noodle overload was planned, but didn't happen. I tried calling friends for dinner, but no-one answered so I gave up and had 2 bowls of cereal. It would have fit on one plate, except the milk would have escaped! :D I'm planning to go out for a proper dinner tonight - hopefully someone will go with me and show me one of the restaurants local to the apartment complex.

The chocolate in the fridge was calling to me last night, a bit, but probably only because I didn't have a proper dinner :S Chocolate doesn't usually bother me any more, I like a bit, but rarely get cravings for it. I did when I was a kid, though! Maybe I ate too much of it when I was little! :wink:

So far today, I've drunk 1 bottle of water.

I got my digital scales on Saturday, and I can read them! They are much easier to read than the tiny-dial mechanical ones, and there's less ambiguity with them because they say *a* number. I love them! They are very nice. So now I'm a happy bunny. Not sure what I'll do with the mechanical ones, though.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:55 am

Tuesday: I'm counting this one as a success

I'm not 100% sure that it should be, because I was unable to stick to the one plate rule at dinner. The plates for eating from were *tiny*, and I wasn't sure which of the dishes I would like. But I stopped when I'd had enough, didn't worry about not finishing all the food, and didn't force myself to stop or to continue. I just quit when I was done. As I felt satisfied but not overfull, I class it as a success.

I resisted the sugary drinks (like milkshakes, etc) and stuck with my standard of iced lemon tea (and it was very nice), and I didn't snack at all during the day (though I did want to). I also didn't have dessert, though I didn't have much of a craving or thought for that.

I had a really bad headache last night, and that would sometimes lead me to eat something, both to see if the headache was due to low blood sugar (having not eaten sugary stuff all day, it couldn't be high blood sugar!), and also to take my mind off the pain! As it was, after I'd had a lie-down on the couch with my pillow and a book, I took some painkillers and had a shower, and it did ease off, which was good as it meant I had a pain-free dinner!

The number on the scale this morning was 79.0kg for the second day rnning. The graph of my weight is kind of spiky, but I'm not worried. Until I can fully get into this routine, and also can cook food for myself at the apartment, it's likely to be a little "odd". So long as I'm not snacking, and manage to avoid sweets and sugar in the week, I can only be doing myself a lot of good. I'm really not eating any differently at mealtimes than I was before I started No S, so my calorie consumption *has* to have decreased! I am determined to stick to this - and it's kind of empowering to resist the sweets and things in the week! It proves that I can do it 8)
I love being powerful and in charge of my choices!

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Sounds like you're doing great Katie. Keep it up. :)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 am

Brandon wrote:Sounds like you're doing great Katie. Keep it up. :)
Thanks! The number on the scale went back up again this morning :? But I'm not worrying too much about it, because I'm happy that I'm doing okay. It is a bit frustrating, though!

When we went for dinner last night, it was another one where the food came really spread out, so you couldn't wait for it all to arrive before tucking in. They're pretty hard when it comes to the one plate rule, but as I find not snacking *much* harder, that's what I'm mainly concentrating on. I had 2 mugs of beer last night, which is most unheard of for me! Hopefully that won't throw me off course too much. But again, I just had "enough" dinner, and stopped when I felt I'd had enough to eat, instead of stopping while I was still hungry, or carrying on so I was overly stuffed.

Number Thurs a.m: 79.7kg. I do love my new scales! Though the numbers might not be what I want them to be, at least they're definitive! :lol:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:17 am

Since Friday, the 4 numbers on the scale (1 for each day) have been exactly the same! : 78.9kg

It'd be nice if they'd go down, but I'm not going to rush it!

Friday was a success, even though I was off work feeling *really* ill with a stinky horrid cold. :cry: I managed to resist the ice cream, cookies and comfort foods for one more day, knowing that on Saturday I could legitimately have them. I could have had an S day on Friday, as Reinhard says S can be "sick-day", too, but I didn't want to do that if I could help it (I wanted the 2 at the weekend too badly to swap one, and didn't really want to start on the slippery slope of adding too many!). So I resisted. And did pretty well, too :wink: My eating wasn't "normal" - I had a really late brekkie, and a late lunch, and I didn't enjoy my dinner so only ate half of that, but it was generally okay. And I didn't snack, only ate throat pastilles inbetween meals because my throat was killing me, and tried to drink lots (mainly tea!).

Saturday was an S day, and was fine. I went to Tesco and got most of the food bits I needed, then came back and collapsed on the sofa again!
Fish fingers, chips and beans for dinner, which were *really* yummy (esp. the fish fingers!), and a bowl of cookie dough icecream mid-afternoon, which was part of lunch! mmmmm! :D

Sunday was a bit of a mad S day, and I didn't eat at all properly. Still being really bunged up, I was kind of feeling sorry for myself! :( I don't think I drank enough fluids, and didn't eat normal meals. I was going to have pizza for lunch, but ended up having bicuits because I was going to save the pizza for dinner. (EDIT: Oh, and I had a whole bag of buttered microwave popcorn, which I totally forgot about when I posted this!) Then I didn't have pizza for dinner, either, and had cheese and crackers. Which were nice, but not really enough fuel. When I went to bed, I felt *really* awful, like I do when I haven't fueled my body properly, so I had to get back out of bed and force a small bowl of cereal down my throat. It wasn't fun, but I felt better once I'd done it. As is always the case. I really ought to look after myself better! :roll:

But I got 2 dozen red roses delivered to me yesterday morning, along with 9 helium balloons (3 heart-shaped) and a bottle of red wine. That was my birthday present from my fiancé. They're lovely! 8)

So today is back to normal N days, though after last night, I did have an extra big bowl of cereal this morning! I'm looking forward to lunch, I think! I'm feeling much better today than I did over the weekend, but I still can't breathe very easily, which is annoying. But hopefully I'll be "fixed" soon enough.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 am

The number went down!!! And how: 77.3kg this morning :)
Let's hope it stays down!

Monday was a success, even thought I was really hungry in the morning. I've started slacking again on the water drinking, so need to try to sort that out a bit. Good thing it's not a prerequisite of the "diet", or I'd have lots of disappointing red on my habitcal! :wink:

Lunch was rice with some chicken and a poppadom, and dinner was pizza. It was nice, too, but the last piece was cold, so I didn't bother with that one.

Brekkie this morning was a big bowl of fruit loops. I'd have had Frosties but they were stale, so no good at all. I had to throw them away - what a waste :( I'll have to check the dates if I buy stuff from the local supermarket again :?

Other than that, I'm just pleased the scales have moved, as I was getting concerned they'd got stuck! :wink:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:13 am

It didn't stay down :? 79.5kg this morning! How frustrating! Still, I'll stick with it, and eventually the numbers will come down and stay down. Maybe it's cos I had quite a big dinner last night?

Another day, another success! Though it nearly wasn't. I was *so* hungry when I got home from work! I was going to see if some of the others wanted to go out for dinner, but in the end I couldn't be bothered and just made myself some food and watched a bit of "Ratatouille". It's very funny so far! :lol:

I really wanted to eat biscuits after work last night (cookies), but I didn't want to have to put a failure on my habitcal! :lol: Plus, yesterday was day 21, so I really wanted to be able to post in the 21 day club thread!!

I'm going to see if some of the others want to meet up for dinner tonight, as I feel like some company, and don't have much at home in the way of proper food (most of it is treat food that I can only eat on weekends, or is "normal" food but it would make a very odd dinner! This weekend I need to look at my menus and get some slow cookable food - to use my new dinky crock pot :D

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 am

Wednesday: Success

Went out for dinner with one of the guys from work (I specifically organised something with someone other than the "usual" group, as I'm getting so bored of the same old, same old!). It was good - I didn't stuff myself, and resisted the snack foods when we went out for a drink afterwards. I think that type of night outt is best kept to being occasional, but it was fun. I had a nice time. Bit of a later night than I'd planned, but as it's a public holiday tomorrow I only have to get through today and then I'm sorted! I might take myself out for dinner tonight, and check in town for the few bits I want to buy.

Now to get through today without snacking or wanting to kill anyone! (Yesterday was a bad day for the latter!).

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:22 am

Thursday: Success

I did pretty well in the day, though we went for chinese at lunch and so there was a little bit of virtual plating for that. I don't worry too hard about that, though. When I got home I was at risk of snacking and eating sugar-loaded foods, but I managed to resist. I had beans on toast for dinner, and had 4 slices of toast, but they are only small slices and it wsn't exactly a massive meal! As I was not having seconds or desserts, it was okay to have realistic amount of food for my main.

Today is a public holiday, so I'm home all day. I'll have to watch out for eating rubbish and snacking today, as it's like a weekend, but it isn't a weekend! I'm going to do a menu plan for some slow cooker recipes today and then go shoping for ingredients, so that ought to help with meals later in the week :)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:53 am

Friday was a success, and then:
4 days of illness :(

Saturday I was ill, but not *really* ill, so I went to Tesco for food. Boy, did I wish I hadn't bothered?! It was really busy, I couldn't get half of what was on my list, and because I wasn't feeling too hot when I went out, I felt *really* tired and rotten when I got back! Still, I didn't snack or eat sugar, so I classed it as a successful N day (though I only ate 1 or 2 meals that day, as I wasn't hungry and felt bad).

Sunday I paid the price for my "excesses" in going shopping on Saturday, and was good for absolutely nothing. I was running a high fever, sweating loads, and it was as much as I could do to lie on the sofa, watch a bit of TV, and keep dozing off! I did manage to finish a book that I was reading, though. I had a small bowl of icecream, which brightened me up a bit :) Didn't do anything with the food I bought, as had no energy for anything. I did manage a shower, though! Again, only really had 1 meal. Definitely an S day, though.

Monday was another S day, though I still didn't eat much. I went to the doctors and they loaded me up with meds including antibiotics and cough medicine, etc. Before I went home, I popped into the shopping centre to get some soup, in case I fancied some of that to eat (I'd fancied soup on Sunday, but didn't have any), and also went to Starbucks and had a coffee and croissant, as my body had been telling me it wanted a croissant all morning! Sadly, it wasn't worth the wait - it was a bit crispy for my liking, I'd have preferred it to be a touch softer and maybe a bit soggier! :lol: Ah well. And the coffee was too big - I was sad I'd been there, because I just came out having left half my "brunch", and feeling quite queasy, sadly. :( Other than that, I think I just ate a bowl of cereals. Oh, and a handful of lemon biscuits mid-afternoon.

Tuesday I felt better, but still not 100%. I classed it as an S day, as I was still sick, but it probably classes as a successful N-day, really. I had cereal for brekkie, cereal for lunch, and cheese spread and Ritz biscuits for dinner. So 3 meals, even though they weren't normal meals except the first one! I had to eat properly, though, to take my meds before or after meals as instructed. I think it was a lack of proper food to protect my stomach before I took my "after meals" meds that made me so ill on Monday night :( I only had one lemon biscuit then.

Today, I'm back at work, and my weight this morning was 76.8kg, same as yesterday. I don't want to talk too soon, but for the past week, the numbers have been steadily going down, instead of bouncing all over the place! This is quite gratifying, actually. Onwards and downwards! 8)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:58 am

Friday: weight has stabilised this week at 76.8kg. I expect it will go down again soon, but as it is I've lost 3.2kg since I started this, which is goooood :) - That's 7lbs - half a stone! Hurrah! I only just worked that out, I hadn't realised I'd managed half a stone already! 8)

Successes this week, no failures. Went to the Bamboo Hut BBQ last night, and had lamb. It was really nice, and I didn't get loads of the nibbly bits, resisted the inclusive desserts, and only had pineapple juice to drink. I was impressed. And at lunch at the chinese today I was full enough (and bored with what I was eating!) so I stopped and left the remainder of my rice. These are good things. Go me! 8)

Weekend tomorrow, yay!! Not sure what my treat will be - maybe some icecream with wafer straw things. I have lots of them, and keep forgetting they're there! I might go shopping tonight to try to get the bits I couldn't get last week - but this time I'll go to Jusco and see if I can find my way there... Plus, Ng reckons they have real sausages, so I'll have to see if he's right! :lol:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:10 am

Still being successful.

Monday was a training day for work, so we were stuck in a hotel all day. I ate 2 "polar mints" during the day, which are basically sugar, but that was the only thing I did that wasn't 100% No S, so I'm classing it as a success. Considering how many opportunities there were to snack on that day, I'm *so* not worried about 2 mints, especially as they are no longer a regular part of my diet. Half the time I even forget to eat mints and gum at weekends when it's allowed!

I went for dinner with Ian last night, to the restaurant down the road from the apartments. It was *so* peaceful sitting by the sea, with no major noise! Down the road there were lots of lights and some music, but it was generally not intrusive. I had crab for dinner, and had to go and choose one out of the tank where they were all sitting with their rubber-banded claws. I felt a bit guilty, but what can you do! :lol:

And my weight is now down to 76kg. So I've lost over a half stone, which I'm really pleased with. I wasn't going to tell my fiancé, but I thought it'd be good to have something positive to tell him as I was having a *really* low weekend! I wanted him to be proud of me! He was proud - very impressed, too :D

I really think I'll be able to keep this up long-term, which is great. I'm not sure exactly how lunches will work when I go back to the UK, because sandwiches get very boring and lunch at the work canteen every day can get very expensive, but we'll cross that bridge as and when it appears. I'm stuck here for the foreseeable anyway, so why worry about things I can't do anything about right now?! :lol:

I still need to work on drinking more water, though. The longer I'm following this eating plan, the easier it seems to be to "last" until my next meal. But that means I'm not drinking to take my mind off eating! I always seem to struggle with my fluid intake - I just forget or something! :oops:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 am

Up again a little today. I should have known it was too good to be true, my weight staying stable, then dropping reasonably consistently! 76.6kg this morning. But the general trend is still down, which is great.

Maybe it's due to having actually eaten a proper dinner for the past couple of days, instead of cereals and weird dinners! Whatever it is, I still feel better for doing this, and I'm not going to let a slight gain throw me off. No-one has noticed the weight loss yet, and I'm not finding it particularly obvious, but it's good to know it's happened. If I keep this up, soon enough it *will* be more obvious.

Out for dinner again tonight - as we didn't go out last night. I had a chicken sandwich meal at McDonalds instead, which wasn't highly healthy, but fits in just fine with the overall plan! I fancied an apple pie, but I wasn't sure if that was as much from habit as anything else. I resisted the urge, whatever caused it!

Onwards and downwards, at least on trends! :wink:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:40 am

Friday was *almost* a failure! I had such an urge to eat rubbish in the evening! And the worst bit was, I was thinking "It's nearly the weekend, what difference will a few hours make?" All the difference between success and failure for the day, and to how the weekend would start!

In the end, I went out and had french fries for dinner, then came home and went to bed. I was exhausted, which I think was one of the things that helped induce the sugar cravings. I was pleased with myself for resisting 8)

The weekend was rather sugar-laden, but that's okay because it was the weekend. My weight has gone up a little again this morning, but I was kind of expecting that. I feel okay about it all, really. I think if I'd tried to restrict what I ate this weekend, I'd be really likely to "break out" this week, because I wouldn't have got it out of my system! Hopefully, being able to eat whatever, whenever at the weekend has given me the "oomph" to get through the week :)

I feel good about being in control! 8)

rose

Post by rose » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:28 pm

Congratulations Katie!

:wink:

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks!

I had a failure on Wednesday, though. Even though I had a reasonable sized plate of food to start, I went back for seconds. I was eating out with a few others, and we went to a chinese restaurant. The plates aren't massive there, but you can still fit enough on one to make a reasonable dinner. Because the food was good (and maybe cos I had a beer as well!) and there was lots left on the table, I went back for a little more. (We ordered dishes, as opposed to it being a buffet.) I didn't feel stuffed, and I probably didn't eat more than I would have if I'd loaded my plate to begin with, but it still doesn't sit quite right with the concept of No S. I think it tells, actually, that I didn't load my plate to start with because it would have looked kind of bad! Anyway, I class it as a mild failure, but a failure nonetheless. I think it might do me good to have a red day on my habitcal, and a missing star on my calendar at home - it'll remind me it's not instinctive to get this right! Just a shame it happened near the end of the month, really, as it won't be there for long before we're over the page into October!

rose

Post by rose » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:42 pm

hello katie,

I hope everything is going well for you. Still no-s-ing ?

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Rose,
Yes, thanks, still no-s-ing, and finding it good. I've stopped making a daily note on here (and often forget to fill in my habit-cal, too!) but am marking my successes on my wall calendar at home. Wednesdays are more difficult to stick with the one-plate rule because we go to a restaurant for dinner where the dishes all come at different times, but I just take it slowly and haven't come out feeling stuffed yet! :lol:
My fiancé will be out here with me soon - 2 weeks to go! - and so I'll have to make sure I keep sticking to the no sweets/ dessert rule then, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem because we rarely have them at home, and they are not the norm in Malaysia.
Thanks for thinking of me :D
{{hugs}}
Last edited by katie1980 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

katie1980

Still going!

Post by katie1980 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:42 am

Haven't checked in for a while, but this is just a quick note that I'm still going, and am even telling my friends about it now. I've not lost loads of weight, but I am still down on where I started.

The numbers have gone back up for some unknown reason in the past couple of weeks, but I'm not panicking yet! They seem to do that relatively often. Then they'll bounce down again, sometimes even lower than they were before.

Keep on keeping on, that is what they say, eh!

katie1980

Struggling

Post by katie1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 am

Okay, I'm 231 days into my No S lifestyle, and for some reason I'm *really* struggling this week. Both yesterday and today I've been really hungry by 10am, and today I am actually getting stomach cramps. Yesterday I managed to last until lunchtime, and I think it may have been caused by not having a proper dinner on Sunday. (We had popcorn and a slice of orange cake between us, having been at the Malaysian Grand Prix in the daytime!) But last night I had pasta and sauce with sweetcorn for dinner, and no sugar or junk food.

Even water isn't helping the pain right now :? Yesterday I wondered if I was also hungry because I'd had a mini box of cereals, so maybe had a bit less in my bowl than usual, but this morning I had "normal" cereal - exactly what I ate last week with no problems. Maybe it's early cramps for this month or something, but it doesn't feel like that - it feels like hunger but without the rumbles that I usually get.

Very odd, and not very nice! Hopefully they'll go away soon, as I feel very off-colour.

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:37 am

oh, and now the rumblies have started at 10.30(ish). How annoying! I feel like the rumbletums in my cereal bowl! :lol:

Here's hoping the day improves...