Last Martian's weekly Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Last Martian

Last Martian's weekly Check In

Post by Last Martian » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Well, here I go again. Apologies for just disappearing without a word (again) but, well, shit happened. Perhaps more details some other time. Things are better now. Not much lasting harm done. I did gain weight though. Managed to lose some of it again, but still a long ways off from where I want to be.

Also, I seem to have developed a really bad habit of surfing the net way, way too much.

So here's the rules for this time:

First, I'll be doing the standard no-s thing with the exception of snacks: I am allowing myself plenty of snacks as long as they are unambiguously healthy snacks. That's pretty much how I've eaten the last weeks and it seems okay.

Behaviour goal: 21 days (starting tomorrow).

Weight goals

Current weight: 79.1 kg.
Healthy weight range: 62-76 kg.
Ideal weight: 66.6 kg.

Short term goal: 75 kg

Mid term goal: 70 kg

Long term goal: 65 kg

Short term is relative. I'll be quite content if I achieve that by the end of the year.

Second, I am going to limit my computer time. Starting tomorrow I'll stop all aimless surfing, except on Sundays past 4 pm. I'll still do e-mail and research and stuff, but no random google searches to look for pretty pictures and the like. I'll also allowing myself to watch one video on the computer per day. A movie, one episode of a tv show, a five minute youtube clip. Doesn't matter. One video it is.

Behaviour goal: one week (This is more of an experiment. Stricter or
completely different rules might be required.)

As a special incentive I'll strive to report failure with this immediately here when I get weak.

I am going for weekly Check Ins (on Sundays), but no worries if I skip one or several.

And that's all, folks.

Nice to be back.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:20 am

Weight check: 77.8 kg.

No-S: Thursday was a failure. Not a very bad one, but still.

Exercise: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. (Skipped Wednesday, but made up for it.)

Keep down surfing: Held out until Friday. Will reconsider approach.

Not a bad week really. Not perfect, but a decent start, I think.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Hey, welcome back! Not to worry, I disappeared for awhile too. I make an exception too, but much worse than yours. I tend to allow a sweet if I want it as long as it's with a meal and not a snack.

It's good to know Im not the only one who aimlessly spends hours searching the net.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi Sinnie! Thanks for the welcome!

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Weight: 78.0 kg

Kind of a relief, it's been a very s-full week. Tuesday was a success, the rest were failures. Hmph. Still, could have been worse.

Exercise: Monday, Wednesday, Sunday. Good enough, I guess.

Not that bad all in all, considering the circumstances. Don't want to go any details right now, but short story is I had a mid-sized nervous breakdown a while ago. Things are better now, but I'm getting professional help now to deal with stuff and this week my therapy sessions started and it's been... actually not that intense really so far, but it's still been very exhausting for some reason.

Also, there's been some social eating.

Will see how the next week goes. Maybe I'll give a mid-week report this time.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:35 am

Monday: Success
Tuesday: Success, exercise
Wednesday: Success (some funny stuff), exercise

Okay, this is more like it. Just two more days...

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Thursday: Success, exercise
Friday: S-day
Saturday: S-day, exercise
Sunday: S-day

Weight: Uh, I dunno. I checked this morning, but I forgot. (It's been a busy day.) I suppose it was good since I remember beeing cheered up by it? Let's say it was.

Plans for next week: Taking a break from no-s. Kind of a shame since I was hoping to shoot for the 21 day club, but it right now it's not first priority and I can't deal with everything at once. I'll still keep track of exercise though. Also, I'll avoid actual binging.

Main resolution: Stay off the freaking computer in the mornings.

Also I'm thinking my final goal might be a bit unreasonable. Doesn't really matter that much at this point since I'm still aiming at the 75 kg goal at this point, but I wonder: How do you set a good goal weight?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Welcome (belatedly) back!

Sorry I've been too distracted these last few weeks to properly tend the checkins, but things are easing up and I hope to be more regular here.
I wonder: How do you set a good goal weight?
I don't actually think it's so important. Set a goal behavior instead. The weight will follow.

Reinhard