Ramblings

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rose

Post by rose » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 am

minor failure yesterday: had a few stale appetizers after the evening meal (stupid)

rose

Post by rose » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:37 pm

was an idiot this evening. oooof.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Actually perhaps Sunday's idiocy was an instinctive response to a physiological need. You don't want details. Feeling better now.

Today was a planned minor S day due to a "sports" event with workmates.

rose

Post by rose » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Technically a green day but I ate too much. Or is it the satay sauce?

rose

Post by rose » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

hmmm today is a red day. I knew getting a twix from the vending machine was bad, I haven't done this kind of thing in ages, yet I did it anyway. Why?

rose

Post by rose » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:34 pm

hmmm... Ate a lot this past week... lots of S days, and perhaps a few seconds on N days (but did good on sweets and snacks).
Today was a minor S day due to travel.
Now I only need to get back on track... erm... let's start with cleaning out the kitchen and buying some fruit and veggies.

~*~

Also: I live in a pigsty :oops: and need to find a way to keep it clean...
It is quite small so there is really no reason why I couldn't manage it.

So I thought about housework and realised there are some chores which have no redeeming feature whatsoever, whereas other chores involve some muscle action and might be more easily accomplished if I tackle them as exercise, perhaps as a weekly session.

So that "exercise" routine would be:
* scrub sink, bathtub etc. (mainly arms)
* vacuum clean and wash the floor (I think full body)
* perhaps also take out the garbage and climb the stairs back (but that requires being dressed, and I most often exercise in PJs)

Now what to do about the absolutely boring stuff:
* washing dishes (should be daily, done standing up, argh no idea)
* picking up all that stuff that appears randomly everywhere (add a push-up or whatever for each spontaneously appeared item?)
* laundry and ironing (perhaps, launch the laundry machine before starting the housework-exercise routine. Not sure about ironing - sweating all over clean clothes is kind of silly)
* toilet cleaning (can hardly integrate that in an exercise routine as taking a deep breath of the cleaning liquid might shorten one's lifespan)

rose

Post by rose » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 am

Jan 1st: first session of housework-as-exercise to start the new year right.
Then promptly fell back into internet-crawling and chocolate eating until I made myself sick. Good thing I did _not_ expect a perfect day. But still a little disappointing.
At least my flat is now marginally cleaner. But actually I only scrubbed the sink and vacuumed the main rooms. Lots of time lost looking for rubber gloves and the new hard-scrubbing pad (but very satisfied with these, much more efficient than scrubbing the sink with a dishwashing pad).
This housework is very light exercise, should be alternated with harder exercise.

I think I need to go back to detailed habit and weight tracking for a while.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:24 pm

ahhhhhhhhh the power of HABIT!
the thing is, my habits seems linked to a working day's schedule.
Perhaps I should switch S days so that I can really work on building NoS and other habits on non-working days, so as to prevent vacation madness...

Anyway. I have now a beginning of a weight chart. My 2010 starting weight is 64.5kg, that's only 1.5kg above last year's "feel good" weight, yet I feel like my belly is preventing me from breathing already. The thing is, as I didn't exercise enough, the muscle melted away and now the fat is taking a lot of space. So the weight chart might be useless this time... Should I switch to tape measurements? (but I am not sure how to do that reliably).

rose

Post by rose » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 am

woohoo!
This morning as I was working on the vocab list for a language exam, searching for sample sentences on the internet, and wishing I had not sent the vocab books home by boat from overseas, the doorbell rang. The package finally arrived, 1.5 month after I posted it.
Of course the books are not in pristine shape anymore. Next time I must be more assertive at the post office and insist that they pack it the way I want.
Anyway... now I just have to study and be sure to register for the exam as soon as the date is published. (and have fun with the songbooks and other books that were in the same package too!)

NoS : I tend to fill my plate too much in the evening, but otherwise the week was fine.
Exercise: Mon and Fri: light and varied upper body work. Tue: some shovelglove. Wed: housework (scrubbed the bathtub and vacuumed the bathroom). Thu: dance.
Routines: did well on language studies. Now I am hoping I can also manage to get back to long-term projects A and B in the upcoming weeks. For non-exercise housework, I have a tentative weekly plan which worked fairly well except on Friday (picking-up day).

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Some trouble with sleep. Some trouble with work.
NoS failure on Tuesday (contained, however, to a single Kinder Bueno).
Head full of silly notions. It's winter.

rose

Post by rose » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:41 pm

[deleted wildly off-topic ramblings]
Last edited by rose on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rose

Post by rose » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:45 pm

For the record: this was a "perfect" week regarding exercise. Now I don't expect all weeks to be like this one, but I like that I managed it at least once. My N day morning exercise was very light and rather short, but enough to wake me up properly, and to keep me in the mood to climb stairs later in the day.

Monday: danced, climbed 11 floors, walked 4x10'
Tuesday: vacuum cleaned, climbed 10 floors, walked 4x10'
Wednesday: shoulder rehab, climbed 12 floors, walked 4x10'
Thursday: martial arts, climbed 6 floors, walked 4x10'
Friday: shovelglove, climbed 12 floors, walked 4x10'
Saturday: danced (about 40 to 50 minutes), walked about 40'.
Sunday: walked about 3 hours, climbed 115m worth of stairs (about 30 floors!), ran for 1 minute.

My right knee might complain later (it certainly did during quad stretch) and there is a blister on the in-side of my right heel (not sure, are these related?).

I had some trouble waking up at the start of the week. Probably need to stop S-ing earlier on Sundays, and keep my sleeping and waking hours through the weekend.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Exercise:
Mon shoulder rehab, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.
Tue light abs and back, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.
Wed shovelglove, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.
Thu dance, 6 floors, 4x10' walk.
Fri shoulder rehab, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.

I am supposed to vacuum clean, scrub the bathroom sink and possibly scrub the floors tomorrow...
Not sure about Sunday, perhaps a walk will be enough (right knee does not hurt exactly but that strange feeling is back)

Trying out an S day mod:
S starts on Friday at dinner (so having dessert after dinner is ok, but eating dessert before dinner is NOT ok).
S stops on Sunday at lunch (so having dessert after lunch is ok, but eating dessert as a snack in the afternoon is NOT ok.)
This way I can sample the pastries from that bakery next to my workplace which is closed on weekends. And starting the S-ing with a very good small treat as dessert will hopefully set the standard: no need to gorge myself on junk, no need to have snacks.

My average weight this week is slightly higher than last week. We'll say it's muscle.

Regarding the boring housework: I've been having some success with keeping it simple, i.e. I select a chore in the morning (garbage/dishes/toilet/picking up things/laundry) and then I do only that chore on that day.

Projects A and B still not restarted.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Sat: housework, 1h walk.
Sun: nothing.
Mon: shovelglove, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.
Tue: ttapp, 12 floors, 4x10' walk.

Right knee is almost back to normal. Some issues with shoulders.

Not sure whether sweet dessert on Friday evening was the cause of insomnia.
I followed the plan for my S days mod. Friday felt weird. Sunday felt good.

rose

Post by rose » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:38 pm

2nd attempt of sweet dessert on Friday night gave similar results: woke from unpleasant dream at 4:30 (however I was able to sleep again afterwards) and felt sluggish on Saturday.
I might give up the Friday mod. But I still like the Sunday mod, so I will keep it on ordinary Sundays. (additionally, I think that's how Sunday meals went when I was a kid: big lunch with dessert, and small dinner.)

Wed: shoulder rehab, usual N day stairs and walk
Thu: dance (short) ...
Fri: shovelglove! (I tried the arms overhead sideways bend movement - lower ribs area was sore on Saturday!) ...
Sat: nothing (well, 4 floors of stairs, 2x10' walk, but that's practically nothing)
Sun: nothing for now. Procrastinating ttapp.

January summary:
- Good start on NoS, sleeping hours, exercise, SRS word recall, SRS sentences review, grammar, housework (except picking up)
- Not too shabby on vocabulary although I could do better.
- Not so good start on written exercises and listening.

Goals for February:
- Keep good habits! DON'T increase stair climbing, be gentle with shoulders.
- One written exercise per week.
- Restart project A (if only once a week: Sunday?)
- Restart "1st year" (once a week, Saturday?)
- Use that MP3 player - or buy a new one if the old one is too clumsy for regular listening practice.
- Restart any kind of regular musical practice.
- Take part in any kind of group activity (outside work!).
- Sort out the flush mechanism (temporary or definitive solution - right now I pull the stopper with a string to flush, and half of the time it doesn't settle back right and leaks).
- Sort out the scooter issue (haven't used it in several months and now it won't start any more).
- Find a place for all the stuff I bought overseas (otherwise the "picking up" chore will never get done)

rose

Post by rose » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Not sure whether today was a NoS failure or not. Technically I did not eat sweets or seconds or more food than usual, although there was a bit of funny business with snacking/temporal virtual plating on food I would not usually have on an N day.
It certainly was an exercise failure.

(Friday night dessert mod is officially abandoned).

rose

Post by rose » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Exercise: starting over with the morning routine. Somehow it gets more and more lengthy and strenuous as the days go by, until I don't feel like doing it any more. In the past, that would lead to a period of failures, until I would finally see reason and restart at a moderate level and duration. However this time I understood what was going on sooner... after only 1 N-day failure.

NoS: my evening plates are too big: not losing any weight. I need to be more careful when filling the plate, and eat more slowly...

Feeling sluggish today, due partly to medication and partly to earlier than usual wake-up.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Exercise: back on track. TTapp notes: do on work days only, because on weekends I either sit all day or walk a lot - both are incompatible with ttapp. Also, don't insist on KLT - contract inside of thighs equally with outside, don't push knees outwards at end of PBS (push inwards instead with hands pushing outwards). I think most people have normal or flat feet, but I have hollow feet... is that why I feel better with reversing some of the instructions?

Food: for the record, noodle soup quantity now 5 spoons (instead of 7 previously). 5 chinese ravioli and 1 small nem are enough for an evening meal (with veggies of course), can add another nem for a lunch meal.

Weight is stable around 64.5 kgs.
Started project A again.
Winter olympics are slowing down language studies :wink:

rose

Post by rose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Missed my morning exercise session yesterday :oops: let's blame the winter olympics.

I wrote: "DON'T increase stair climbing", but actually increased it from 12 floors up + 6 floors down, to 16 floors up + 4 floors down. However it feels good and the amount of climbing down is reduced which is good for my knee issues. Slight muscle burn in the lower inside quads when I reach the 8th floor. I just wish I didn't have to climb back down to the 6th floor to take the elevator.

For the record: 1/3 baguette seems enough carbs for a meal.
Noodle soup is easy to evaluate by the spoonful. Not sure how to measure other pasta...

Strange workout this morning:
joint rotations,
ttapp PBS (without repeating the 1st part),
Shovelglove: 20 shovel, 20 churn butter, 20 scratch the back, 12 horizontal spear, 20 tuck bales, 5 canoe paddling, 10 overhead side bends,
torso rotations with stick.

Regarding shovelglove: removed wood chopping because of shoulder issues.

Might have lost 1lb. We'll see.

rose

Post by rose » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Was an idiot on Sunday. Note to self: dessert is entirely superfluous when having lunch at the crossroads restaurant. A stomach ache means STOP. Eating more won't make it go away.

ttapp this morning: BWO+ (without plies) and Arms sequence : too long.

Exercise: some misses but overall fine. Stairs standard is 16 floors on working days.
NoS: some S days excesses.
Scooter: found out where the spark plug is, now have to remove it and check it.
Flush mechanism: have some ideas, nothing implemented yet.
Project A restarted at a very leisurely rate (5-10' about 3 times/week).
Housework: the exercise-like part is fine - my flat is getting cleaner. The chore-like part suffered from couch Olympics. Very little progress on the picking-up (stored some boxes and a bag).
Writing, grammar and vocab studies suffered from the Olympics too.

So for March:
- keep good habits!
- work on project A everyday.
- spend 15' per days on: SRS word recall, SRS review, vocab, grammar, writing, listening to easy material (use that MP3 player!)
- check that spark plug and replace it if it looks suspicious
- sort out the flush mechanism
- drive at least 2h
- find a place for the new stuff

Other leftovers from February may have to wait until June now... but I'll still try to get a go at them: "1st year", group activity, music.

Edit: and, go to bed earlier.

rose

Post by rose » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:59 pm

3 h walk today.
Probably ate too much chocolate this weekend.

rose

Post by rose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:08 pm

NoS failure today: 1 kitkat. And fell asleep sitting on a chair.
Did BWO+ this morning.

rose

Post by rose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

2.5 months after the new year Ss, I am not satisfied with my diet.
Despite going back to no snacks, no sweets and no seconds, my weight has been creeping upwards, I am just below 65kg (average weight) now. It can't be all muscle. And although I feel slightly less constricted in my pants, they are still not as comfortable as they were last year before I got sucked up in the overseas work trip madness.

What's wrong?

I think previously I seldom ate cheese. Now I am having cheese almost every day. Also my favourite pasta are filled with cheese and herbs. Add the dried sausage and supermarket seasoned raw veggies, and you get too much fat. This winter was much colder than previous ones, is that why I needed that much fat? It's spring now. I'm cutting back on cheese as of right now. I will not buy any unless I have guests.

There's been some excesses on S days especially in January but I think that's under control now... at least I don't feel ready to burst and exhausted after S day meals as I did then.

Also there's been some carbs overfill on N days. It's better now that I have adjusted the quantities down, but perhaps it is still too much? I will think about it.

Regarding exercise, perhaps I lack cardio. The problem is I am very busy with work and studies and worrying about the language tests (next saturday, and probably again in 1.5 month). So I've not had many long walks etc. I'm afraid I won't get back into that until after the tests...

Also there's stress. Social conflicts are rising at my workplace and my assigned work is strangely uninspiring. Almost gave in on Friday, but made myself work instead of approaching the chocolate vending machine.

And, my scooter is still not working. So I am not going to places like I did previously. Gah! :( Every weekend I tell myself, I will check the spark plug. And then I don't do it. And I also haven't rented a car to practice driving. Ack! Okay, I will post again tomorrow and proudly announce that I have checked the spark plug and reserved a car.

Are there any good news? Well, I am not sick, still have a job and a flat and savings, my knees have known much worse days, I am exercising at a reasonable frequency, social life is slow but getting perhaps a trifle better, the last few family gatherings were less tense than they were in the past few years, I might add one line to my resume if I pass the tests (even though I had to revise my expectations downwards as my level is not as good as I thought).

France has won the 6 nations tournament and is now attempting to beat England for the Grand Slam (after beating Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy). And there are elections tomorrow (must remember to go and vote!). Perhaps this will feed discussions at work next week instead of headcount reduction :wink:

rose

Post by rose » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:03 am

I've been busy.
Seems like I'm relearning NoS from scratch - I actually get hungry between meals now and it feels like a novelty.
(counting minutes until it's a reasonable hour to go fetch take-away from the new little Chinese place - the food there is so much better than at the old big place!)

Read somewhere about getting up early and how more productive you feel. Well I'm getting up "early" (earlier at any rate) and I do feel more productive, but I also feel tired. (I felt tired before too, so...).

I ditched the daily cup of hot chocolate - the vending machine makes it too sweet for my taste and there is no way to control the sugar contents. Instead I bought some 70% dark chocolate squares. I get a cup of unsweetened "hot milk" from the machine and I eat one chocolate square with it. Works for now (and the 70% concentration wake me up a bit as my mind tends to wander away in the afternoon).

rose

Post by rose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Hmmm I need to recommit to NoS and exercise since I've had a minor surgery a few weeks ago and exercise was forbidden. I am still the same weight but needless to day muscle has vanished and fat has increased.
I have two weeks left before I can officially restart upper body exerce, however I can still walk and climb stairs and such, so I will do that.

I've been very busy with other things. One of them is Postcrossing, i.e. random postcard sending and receiving worldwide. It was mentioned on Lang-8, a language exchange website, and I find it so much fun I can't help recommending it to everyone:)
I think I need some moderation with postcrossing too, because I can't help sending a bunch of postcards as soon as I can, and then I get all impatient while waiting for them to arrive, so I can send (and receive) more. I think I should make a rule of not sending more than one official postcard and one private exchange postcard per day or something.

The following has nothing to do with NoS, and is mainly to help a friend with 9#°9le:

If you can read French, or if you just like hats, or even if you decide you want a beautiful handmade hat from France as a reward for NoS compliance :) you could visit this website: http://www.aucouvreamour.fr
The site's name "Au couvre amour" is derived from "couvre amour", a colloquial name for men's hats. (But the website actually has hats - very nice ones - for both genders, and more hats can be made on demand).

rose

Post by rose » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Weight: 64.6kg
NoS: success so far (but I bought an éclair au chocolat, which I'm supposed to resist until tomorrow... still hesitating between making Friday nights the start of S days or not.)
Exercise: 15' light morning exercise, 2x8 floors of stairs, 4x10' walk.
Postcards sent: 1 official.
Anti-Bookmarks: failed :/

And postcards received: 3 officials.

I might restart daily check-in, too many NoS failures lately, and I'm healthy again so I need to get back on track with exercise.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Ack! Having trouble getting back on track.

Today's failures (there are more, but these are the most annoying):
1 wrapped chocolate (yuck), 4 biscuits, 2 squares of dark chocolate with a handful of almonds.
Got to work too late, avoided social events, ignored people I had resolved to be nice (or neutral) to, ruminated my displeasure.
:roll:

rose

Post by rose » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:41 pm

1 Kitkat.[EDIT] and three squares of dark chocolate and a few almonds[/EDIT]
Got to work too late.
Even though I technically had only 1 plate at lunch, I still overate.

rose

Post by rose » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm

2 squares of dark chocolate and a handful of almonds.
(and a small cup of hot chocolate at work).
Got to work too late.
Minor avoidances.

A few habits I am working on:
- NoS (1 small cup of hot chocolate OR 1 square of dark chocolate authorized)
- No giving myself a stomach ache on ordinary S days
- 15'deliberate exercise per day
- 30' walking per day
- 15' housework per day (depending on chores, can double as exercise)

Also one of my resolutions was to make a list of dos and donts for work (based on my personal experience and faults) and read/recite it everyday... I'll wash dishes first and then work on that.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm

1 Kitkat. Brushed my teeth immediately after dinner and was not tempted by dark chocolate.
For once I was on time at work (not that I really have fixed hours but I am getting too complacent...)
Exercise (nothing strenuous), walking and housework were all fine these past 4 days.
Slight knee pain had me taking the elevator though.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Over the weekend, no stomach ache (good!)
Monday and Tuesday: on time at work, nosdiet success, exercise success, housework success but extreme failures on social habits.
My shoulders and arms are still sore from Sunday's "assisted pullups" workout (I use a ladder to help me pull myself up) - both gratifying and painful - had to take painkillers on Monday to be able to concentrate on work.
Weight yesterday 65.4kg, this is not good.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:59 pm

One good week down with regards to NoS, exercise, housework, and being on time at work. Still need to work on my other habits.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm

NoS failure today (one chocolate, and a chocolate mousse)

rose

Post by rose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 am

This week's NoSDiet: two travel days (small-s days, no excesses), one technically green days but I ate too much food at dinner, one green and one red.
Little exercise, no housework.
Some good and bad days regarding social and work habits...

rose

Post by rose » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm

NoS and exercise failure today.
Feeling stupid.

rose

Post by rose » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 pm

One of the reasons for this week's failures and general lack of enthusiasm is that I hurt myself last weekend doing ladder-assisted pullups. I got tendonitis in the inside of my right elbow :evil: and I don't know how long that will last. So I have to adapt my exercise routines, which means a change in habits... And also issues with shopping and housework.
And, it's February...

rose

Post by rose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

exercise failure yesterday, NoS failure today.

rose

Post by rose » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm

still reporting failures...
Sunday: gave myself a stomach ache
Tuesday: no exercise BUT social event success

Had a bad afternoon, I think it's a good thing there's harldy anything edible left in my kitchen (didn't feel like lugging groceries back home due to tendonitis). So NoS success today.

rose

Post by rose » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

failure tonight, fell into the chocolate (dark with almonds).

rose

Post by rose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

So I finished the chocolate yesterday night (2nd failure in a row).
Well there's no more chocolate at home now.
I'll just go brush my teeth and today will have been a success.

ah, and for the record I've restarted my previous exercise routine - I think I'll just leave the assisted pullups aside for now. So:
Mon - ttapp
Tue - back extensions
Wed - shovelglove
Thu - housework
Fri - shoulder rehab
Sat - (usually nothing)
Sun - long walk

rose

Post by rose » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 am

11:05 Provided I don't chicken out, I'll have unplugged my washing machine from the tap in a few minutes...

14:08 It's done (after 183 minutes, but part of that was used up fetching food and eating it).
I had first to figure which thing to unscrew (there's the beige thing, the blue thing, the white thing, the short blue pipe, and the white thing that is actually screwed on the tap.) I unscrewed the blue thing from the white one, but it required pushing the yellow bit in so that the blue thing could pivot around the beige part. The operation also required rummaging around for the adjustable pliers cos my lil hands were not strong enough.
The tap leaks though, so I had to shut off the main tap.
Now I have to find a way to move the damn thing...

15:40 it would not budge and it's now too late to go rent a watchamacallit... so I plugged everything back. It doesn't seem to leak or work any worse than before.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:30 pm

NoS failure yesterday :cry:
I think today too although it was only half a dozen hazelnuts.

rose

Post by rose » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:39 pm

hmmm well Friday night indulgences evolved into week-long snacking and sweets and now I've put on weight. Today is a failure too :evil:
Can I go back to Vanilla NoS :?
I hate a lot of my current circumstances, including the damn freezing air con.
There. Now, no more failures, ok? :roll: 'cause I've known worse, and lots of other people are in worse circumstances right now.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 am

65.9kg. That's more than 3kg over my lowest NoS era weight. But it didn't happen all this year, it has been creeping up since 2009. Ah well.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 pm

failure today :roll:

rose

Post by rose » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:48 pm

...and horrible S-day today.
I don't know what's wrong with me :x

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 am

All right! Monday! there will be no failure today.

[EDIT] failure - I had one of those tiny crocodile candies. Why? Why? ah well better this than handfuls of almonds. Do better tomorrow.

[EDIT again] I forgot to log today's weight - 66.3 :evil:

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Tuesday: failure. I had twice the allotted amount of dark chocolate (i.e. two squares instead of 1). I hate having meetings at noon. Next time I'll have lunch partly before and after so as to avoid evident brain failure and subsequent self recriminations.

rose

Post by rose » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:08 pm

(brushing teeth) Wednesday: SUCCESS at last.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 am

Rose...Congrats on a successful day!

I do the exact same thing...I brush my teeth immediately after dinner & that helps so much. I might still want to eat after dinner, but there's something about clean teeth that remind me that I've chosen not to do it.

I've struggled with eating right all my life & I sympathize so much with your red days. But you're doing better than you think. You can do this....you absolutely can.

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm

thank you Janie, I wish you many green days :)
Thursday and Friday were fine. Hopefully I won't be an idiot this weekend...

rose

Post by rose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:38 pm

So far today has been a relatively moderate S-day (a small raspberry ice-cream and a chocolate pastry are the only deviations from normal fare) but I still have to figure out what to have for supper...

rose

Post by rose » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:17 pm

was on vacation for 2 weeks (mostly moderate s days) and then had another difficult week with 2 failures and two travel days (small-s) and lots of stress and anxiety.
Weight still hovering around 66kg.

rose

Post by rose » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:45 pm

hmmm life has taken an interesting turn... more anxiety... but I always feel better in September, is this why I feel not too bad? (well, two of my colleagues were away so the noise level at work has been much lower - this may be another reason).
Ah well. Bought a lottery ticket. Updating my resume. Considering joining a group class to have some social continuity in the upcoming year...

NoS-wise, last week was solid red, so I went back to the recipe that was successful in 2008. On a Vanilla NoS base, add one cup of hot chocolate per N day and daily weigh-ins (with chart). This week I had 2 reds and 2 greens, and today has been green so far. Weight between 66.5 and 65.1 kg.
Tendinitis in right elbow still not healed. I'm trying to exercise without taxing my arms... which is not easy since I also have knee issues :roll:

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 pm

1st N day of the year, and I had pain au chocolat and also some plain bread and chocolate. Should I count it as a failed (red) or sick day (yellow)? I am sore and tired, and I'm going back to work tomorrow. Joy.
I took some photos of my flat (which is a mess), hopefully in a month I can shoot new ones and see a difference.
Perhaps I should do the same with my tummy.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

a bit of funny business with dinner today, but that's basically expected since my Tuesday evenings are outside my normal routine...

rose

Post by rose » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am

Almost a full year later...
Weight around 68 kg :oops: I really don't want to put on more weight! However somehow I have gotten used to this body shape, so I am not really fighting to lose weight currently...
NoS compliance still low, but I try to keep the extras to 1 or 2 pieces of dark chocolate per day.
Morning exercise also very irregular...
However I have been trying to keep up with the stairs and walking, on weekdays at least. Here I have to be careful not to overdo the stair climbing, otherwise my knees complain.

Anyway. Anti-stress plan.

Guitar: I knew at some point that playing easy pieces on the guitar is a good way to fight stress, among other things the deep sounds give my solar plexus a massage, but I haven't kept the habit... playing the same pieces over and over gets boring. On the other hand I tend to get obsessive about improving my level when I try harder pieces, and that does not help reduce stress.
Let's say, guitar once or twice a week, and I should buy/borrow/find on the internet more diverse easy pieces. (in the public domain for the internet ones, of course).

Singing: I used to sing in a choir. As long as the concert was far in the future, and the other members and director had no personal issues that they needed to vent, it was very relaxing. But of course there were some difficult times as well. So, I'm not getting into such a choir again. And I'm not going to obsess about improving my sight singing and ear training level either.
Let's say, singing along with MP3s, once a week...

Exercise: this is tricky. Martial arts and running seemed to do the trick, quite some time ago. My knees won't let me do that any more. And I must not exercise at night because it prevents me from falling asleep. And I must not obsess about keeping up with others and getting good at it.
I'm leaving this one for later...

Calligraphy: I go to a 4-hour session once a month, and it's been nice so far.
I really don't want to start obsessing about this, but I guess I could practice once a week.

Sorting/Giving/Throwing away: Lately I have been trying to weed out unnecessary stuff, and it felt like a relief. But must not get obsessive.

Food: must get enough magnesium. So, lentils or similar at least once a week.

Languages: this is a tricky one as well. For later. I don't even know what it is doing in my anti-stress plan.

Summary:
Guitar, singing, calligraphy, once a week or so.
Keep up with the stairs and walking, one physical therapy and one housework session a week.
Improve NoS compliance and eat diversified food.
Slowly weed out unneeded possessions.
Do not obsess, do not give up, keep in the middle.

rose

Post by rose » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Monday: :oops:
Tuesday: :oops:
Do better tomorrow.

rose

Post by rose » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 pm

This was not a terribly successful week.
Do better next week...

rose

Post by rose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:04 pm

no green days, but I'm being more or less reasonable. Weight is stable.
After sleeping okay for a full week, made the huge mistake of having cake at night. Couldn't sleep. That should teach me.

rose

Post by rose » Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 pm

nos
exercise
stairs
walking

rose

Post by rose » Thu May 30, 2013 7:14 pm

nos
exercise

stairs
walking

rose

Post by rose » Fri May 31, 2013 6:09 pm

nos
exercise

stairs
walking

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:47 pm

nos
exercise

stairs
walking

rose

March

Post by rose » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 pm

In March I want to restart NoS and scheduled exercise, and I want to work specifically on my posture.
This weekend has been reasonable so far, but there's still tonight...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Consider thinking of wanting to look back on a great day of eating tonight, as long as that doesn't sound like too much of a burden.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

rose

Post by rose » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 pm

thanks Oolala.
Well I am still failing at NoS AND exercise, but I have lost some weight anyway...
Slightly less seconds and more stairs and sometimes more walking on weekends
=> around 65kg now, so I have shed about 2kg since I don't know when - at some point I even read 68kg on the scale I think, perhaps last fall.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm working on my posture too! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6