Hexagon's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hexagon

Hexagon's daily check-in

Post by hexagon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:44 pm

9/9/07

S-day. Feels good to be back.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:13 am

Issues with internet prevented me from posting sooner.

9/10/07

Success, but my dinner was BIG (yes, it all fit onto one plate, just barely). I was starving. I have to space out my meals carefully in order to avoid being too hungry.

9/11/07

Success. Having four meals a day helped (portion-controlled of course!) I work long hours and am generally physically quite active; if I stick to the three meal plan I am totally ravenous by the end of the day.

Got in plenty of exercise too.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:58 am

9/12/07 (Day 4)

Success.

Rats! A few weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my back, and despite attempting to be careful about exercise, it's all tensed up again. I might actually be forced to sit around, which I hate (the past month, I was afflicted with a chest cold from Hades, plus the messed-up back, not to mention business travel and hard deadlines. All of these pretty much killed my physical activity and I gained weight and became all flabby. Ugh.).

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:34 am

9/13/07 (Day 5)

Success.

9/14/07 (Day 6)

Failure. Blast! Had a few drinks and got the alcohol munchies. I guess I shouldn't drink at all since alcohol seems to throw my blood sugar out of whack.

9/15/07 (Day 7) S-Day.

S-Day or no, I ate too much.

9/16/07 (Day 8) S-Day.

I ate too much again. I've been working so hard lately that I've been getting 3-5 hours of sleep per night. It's like my judgment is thrown out of whack. I am feeling this impending sense of panic regarding a looming deadline. Why do I eat? I'm already a fatty and my jeans are tight...This isn't going to help!

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:11 am

9/17/07

Success, although my last meal was broccoli and cheddar soup in a bread bowl at Quizno's. Hardly healthy fare, but my boyfriend is too lazy to cook, even though I'm really, really busy and always cook for him when I have the time...Arrrgh.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 am

9/18/07

Success. Had to eat out for dinner, but nothing excessive (ate at one of the few places around that actually provides reasonable portion sizes).

Walked to work too (~1 hour walk). It was too late to walk home today (dark) but hopefully will do it tomorrow.