Last Martian's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Last Martian

Last Martian's Check In

Post by Last Martian » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Day 1 (Sat 10-27-2007) S-Day

Here I go again. Got a good feeling this time, but we'll see. Daily check ins are definitely in order.

I gained a bunch of weight. Yeah. Also, lots of binging, which is more serious. Still, it's not so bad. There were special circumstances, which are now dealt with, so it's mostly a matter of regaining lost ground.

I am going with the basic rules this time. I have grown suspicious of fiddling. It may make sense in itself, but it's also a small crack in the armor. If you can change the rules so that they suit you better, you can also change them so that they are a bit easier, a bit more flexible, a bit more allowing, a bit more fun.... Nothing wrong with any of that as such, but it's the death of a thousand cuts.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Day 2 Sun S-Day

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:12 pm

Day 3 Monday Success
Day 4 Tuesday Looking good so far.
Last edited by Last Martian on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:22 am

Day 4 Tuesday Success

Day 5 Wednesday: High risk day due to stress! Gotta stay calm. Just another day.
Last edited by Last Martian on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Day 5 Wednesday Success
Day 6 Thursay Looking good so far. Some virtual plating (to accomodate fruits). Big temptations in the evening!

I have done this before. I can do this. I'm gunning for the 21 days club.

Some experimenting with the personal punch card system. Not sure if it's right for me. Maybe I'll give it a try after going 21s by No-S, possibly earlier if it's going well. I am thinking of just using a pocket calendar instead of index cards though. Don't see a reason why that wouldn#t work.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Day 6 Thursday Failure.

I drank a (non-diet) soda. Dang. No big deal really, but clearly against the rules, so...

Gotta be careful today. I'm tempted to just call the week a loss. On the other hand, come on, it's just one day 'til the next s-day.

Still got a good feeling. As failures go that one wasn't too bad. And I'm getting back on the horse.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've stated using the HabitCal so I'll only post here if there's something special to say.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi Last Martian :)
Good attitude!
Enjoy your weekend :)
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi Deb! :D

Thanks for the encouragement.

I do actually have a better attitude than I used to--courtesy of intense cognitive therapy. :!:

Actually, I think I'll talk about that in a bit more detail at some point. It's really interesting and highly relevant for self-improvement stuff.

For instance, one thing I did was to pay attention to and write down problematic trains of thoughts (stuff which is subconscious but barely so, so it's not that hard to identify) and then examine them for flaws of reasoning.

Like this:

Thoughts caused by failures:
- This failure is terrible
- My resolution is completely ruined
- This means I will never succeed at no-s
- Or anything else
- And therefore I'm worthless
- And everybody will hate me

(It might seem like I'm exaggerating above. I'm not. I am aware these thoughts don't really have much to with reality, even when they appear, but appear they do.)

Examination:
- This failure is terrible
Is it? What are the consequences? Health/losing weight: None whatsoever. I had light meals that day. Number of calories should be fine. Motivation? That's obviously tautological reasoning. The failure is terrible because it causes lack of motivation because it's such a disappointment because it's terrible. That's clearly absurd thinking. Does it still feel terrible? Yeah. Why? Because it's not really about the consequences, but about the blow to my ego. Ouch. Okay. That's a whole other kettle of fish. See also: Unreasonably high standards.

- My resolution is completely ruined
No. Best-case scenario, it's delayed by five days. But that's black and white thinking. One minor failure per week is pretty good. If every week is like that I should lose weight pretty damn quickly. Now, a minor failure is still a failure. But also: A minor failure is not a major failure. If I had a day of binge eating to confess to, the feeling of desaster would be more justified, though still exaggerated.

- This means I will never succeed at no-s
No. Point one: Some failed attempts are a perfectly normal part of the process of adapting a new habit. In fact, not getting discouraged by these, that is, not assuming they mean you will never succeed, is the key to success.

- Or anything else
Completely without factual basis. People always fail in some areas and succeed in others. That's just the general inferiority complex getting triggered.

- And therefore I'm worthless
Same. First, every human being is worth something (and quite a bit too) by default. This I strongly believe, and applies to me as good as anyone else. Second, even taking strictes and jugemental standards, this wasn't a big deal. Third, also I have been successful in other ares. Fourth, I still have plenty of opportunities to succeed at this if I really want to consider it such a big deal.

- And everybody will hate me
First, people don't hate you for not succeed at something. Second, people tend to have high respect for people who try something difficult, even if they don't succeed, and changing your eating habits is certainly difficult. Third, sympathy works on another level altogether, and has little to do with matter of success or failure, least not directly. Fourth, I have friends and family who pretty much like me unconditionally. Fifth, the failure was so minor nobody besides me would actually care one whit.

Important point: It's not enough to just write down "Clearly nonsense", gotta have actual arguments, even it seems blatantly obvious.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 pm

Added a new resolution. Keeping calm. I do have some problems with... I guess I have to say anger management, though that makes it sound worse than I think it is. I don't get into fights. Mostly I just sulk or do passive-agressive stuff like snide remarks or bark at people.

Man, writing that down it doesn't sound too good. Probably shouldn't. It's my one big issue/character flaw. It really doesn't negatively affect other people that much though, I think, mostly I'm just harming myself.

Anyhow, since there really aren't any exempt days for that, I misuse the system a bit: Red is for inappropriate outward reactions, yellow is for overly strong emotional reactions.

Heh. Just noticed: Nos, exercise, anger ~= Gluttony, Sloth, Wrath. Not really the terms I see this stuff in or I'd rename the tags, but it's kind of interesting.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:33 pm

No-S is going fine, this time around. Already dealt with some major temptations without a hitch. :)

Anger management: Huge progress, overall. Minor flareup of the old temper today. I think it was well within acceptable limits, but sadly there is no room for half-measures with this issue, so I'll note it as a failure. I can't afford righteous anger.

Exercise: Going pretty well. Overdid it a bit Tuesday so I'm feeling kind of sluggish right now. Will get back on the horse tomorrow. Resolution needs to be more definite so I'm saying: Three times a week. Going to be flexible about the times for now, but I should pick fixed times soon.

No-TV: Difficult, difficult, difficult. Thought I could do that just for kicks, but clearly it's gonna be a major issue if I really want to deal with that. I'll try to make it to Saturday at least, but I'll put this on the backburner. Probably better to focus actively on spending time productively instead of eliminating timewasters.

Procrastination: Ouch. Huge, huge, failures. Putting things off, indecisiveness of ridiculous proportions, beckpedalling from already made decisions.... Not good at all. Needs to be dealt with NOW.

I'm reorganizing my HabitCal to prioritize the most urgent stuff. Can you change the order of the tags? No matter, I'll just redo stuff.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Just for the record: I'm taking today as a sick day. Ugh. Now excuse me.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Stupid sick day. I wanted my five green days. Oh, well. I abused my sick day a bit, but not too much (no binging). Still feeling a bit squeamish, but doesn't require another sick day.

I'm simplifying my system for anger management. I'm just going by outward behaviour for now. Emotions seem to call for a different approach. Maybe daily relaxation exercises or something.

I'm also reconsidering my ToDo resolution. Right now it's just doing whatever I put on my To Do list for that day. Which leaves me room for overstuffing the list beyond reason. Hm. How about this for next week:

- Two hours of working on longer projects.
- Three individual tasks (phone calls etc.)
- Planning the next day (week/month/year)
- Half an hour of housework.

I know, I know. Doesn't look like much, but that'd be a huge success if I could manage that.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Hm. Actually got some work done yesterday. Just got fed up with stuff lying around. Also gearing up to build on that today. Gotta keep calm, can't let anxiety overwhelm me. Ugh. Stuff I should have done ages ago always comes with an extra heaping of guilt and fear.

I'm thinking my resolution about stuff to do is a bit too complex. Let's go with : Three hours + three tasks.

One task done.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 pm

One hour of work done. Half of it taken up with computer troubles, but so it goes.

Man, I'm relieved. At least I got started finally. Hopefully I'll make my resolution today, but if not at least I've made some progress. But I think I'll manage. Might get a bit late, but I'll manage.

It's a new week. No red yet. I'll try to keep it that way. I really enjoy the HabitCal. It's a good system for me.

Current weight: 79.6. Which is below the Red Alert threshold of 80 kg, so that's good. I'm trying weekly checks this time around.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:44 pm

Another task done. Gonna get late. Damn procrastination.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:18 pm

And the third task done. Namely, taking a hard look at my financial situation. I've put this off for months and months, and now it just took 15 minutes and was, well, decidedly unpleasant certainly, but compared to what I was afraid of a piece of cake. Hum. Short break and then I'll tackle the second hour.

I'm posting a lot today, aren't I. Believe me, where procrastination is concerned I could use hourly check ins really.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:09 pm

And the second hour done.

Bah, bah, bah.

Got sidetracked, too tired to work effectively, horribly indecisive, work is boring, won't lead to anything anyhow.... Also, I'm stupid for not starting earlier. All of this could already be behind me, if only.... Bah!

My attitude needs work.

Short break and then on to the last hour. But my motivation really could be better. These are the early stages where progress is measured in the smallest increments and the backlog looms over me. Feh.

Getting serious, the real problem is that I feel my pessimist outlook coming back. I'm starting to think it's all for nothing anyhow and so on and so forth. Just two or three days of steady work, when at least some visible signs of progress appear, and I'll probably be over that, but until then it's steeply uphill.

Ah, well. Another, hm, 10 minutes breaktime, and then I'll put on some cheerful music or something and get through the measly 60 minutes.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm

Third hour done.

Three hours, three tasks. Narrow, very narrow, but finally a success here. Beautiful crisp and clear green! Gotta make it through tomorrow and the day after that and I should be through the worst of it.

I just have to stop being so goddamn, huh, let's say, intense about this stuff. Sure, failure sucks, but it's hardly the end of the world.

It is very, very necessary for me to make clear and unambiguious resolutions. The slightest wiggle room and I'll turn success into defeat. Can't find any fault this time though, thankfully. Three tasks done, three hours of work done = Success. End of story.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Well. This day didn't turn out that well. Fairly minor violations, mostly, though.

- No-S: Skipped breakfast, had too little at lunch. Ended up doing some virtual plating in the evening, which, in retrospect, went overboard.

Lesson learned: Eat breakfast. Eat a decent meal for lunch. Watch out for Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Verdict: Not a fundamental problem here. Just need to be a little more careful.

Temper: Very minor stuff. Just scowled and grumbled at someone, but not quite with good reason, so... failure.

Lesson learned: Since I've made a conscious effort to keep myself in check I only lose my temper when I get taken by surprise. Difficult to prepare for that, but I think there is a pattern to the situations where this tends to happen. Will try to keep an eye on what kind of triggers set me off. Maybe I ought to make a list.

One major thing: Being excluded. Man, does that set me off.

Procrastination: Stayed up too late, overslept, gave up in advance.

Lesson learned: I think the whole approach is flawed. Puts me under too much pressure and I resent the hell out of it and then I just... freeze. Can you be passive-aggressive towards yourself? I guess you can. Damn. Get it together, self.

Ah, well. I'll turn things around yet. Just you watch me.

General notes: Still tackling too many stuff at once, I know. I just can't get myself to give up on anything. Will see if I can get things together next week. If not I'll try another approach altogether. I'll just try different stuff until something works.

Shouldn't beat myself up too much, actually. I'm doing much, much better than last week.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Not going so well. :( In two weeks I have moved from minor lapse to serious lapses to utter desaster. :oops:

Small wonder, the way I have been putting myself under pressure once again. :roll: I don't know why I keep doing this.

I'll change my approach drastically. I do in fact know that it makes more sense to start out with just one resolution. I just... I just did it anyway.

All right. Taking stock: Temper, Thrice and Exercise have been going reasonably well. I'm okay with the level if success I have there. Could be better, occasional lapses, but it's all well within limits.

No-S: Mixed results. I think I could do it easily if I didn't keep pushing it further.

ToDo: Going badly. Slightly less terrible than last week--I got some things done, even some major stuff, but not the most important ones. :x

So I'll focus on that. I'll also do weekly weight check-ins just to keep an eye on that, but no-s proper is on the sidelines.

So, that is that. Now I just need one good resolution... Hm. Gonna have to think about it.

I'm deleting the heap of HabitCal calendars to get a fresh start, but just for the record: The last few days have been heavy on the red! :oops:

Hopefully I'll do better with more focus.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 am

So. Fresh start. I'll make this as easy as I can stand.

Resolution: Half an hour of serious work each day.

I am hoping that this will kickgstart a bit more, but as far as the HabitCal is concerned that counts as a success. I will also try to get the half hour done as early as possible, again to kickstart things.

Weight check tomorrow. Great.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 pm

You are very tough on yourself.

Is it fair to require x hours of work? Maybe it would be better to make a list of discrete things you should do today - the more discrete the better - then check them off? The visual evidence of success is quite compelling. Reinhard says if it doesn't fit on a 3x5 index card, it's too much.

I face an awful lot of interactions with others by taking a deep breath, making eye contact, and asking them a question about the topic we are working on. (If you can fake sincerity, you've got it knocked. :)) That's a joke, but if you behave in ways that people are attracted to, it all sort of falls into place, no? Everyone likes to know you are interested in them. You will never fail in an interaction if you ask someone their opinion and absorb it.

You're right not to "push further on No-S", just make the three-a-day habit. Unless you are really obese, thinner is not the most important thing to be. Content and happy, and being healthy, are - and you can be those without being thin. Or even thinner.

You only get 24 hours in a day. My wife used to tell my kids "learn some, play some, work some, give some." It's a successful day if you can do that.

Peace. There are no smiley icons in your posts, just angry and sad ones. Lighten up. :)
Last Martian wrote:Not going so well. :( In two weeks I have moved from minor lapse to serious lapses to utter desaster. :oops:

Small wonder, the way I have been putting myself under pressure once again. :roll: I don't know why I keep doing this.

I'll change my approach drastically. I do in fact know that it makes more sense to start out with just one resolution. I just... I just did it anyway.

All right. Taking stock: Temper, Thrice and Exercise have been going reasonably well. I'm okay with the level if success I have there. Could be better, occasional lapses, but it's all well within limits.

No-S: Mixed results. I think I could do it easily if I didn't keep pushing it further.

ToDo: Going badly. Slightly less terrible than last week--I got some things done, even some major stuff, but not the most important ones. :x

So I'll focus on that. I'll also do weekly weight check-ins just to keep an eye on that, but no-s proper is on the sidelines.

So, that is that. Now I just need one good resolution... Hm. Gonna have to think about it.

I'm deleting the heap of HabitCal calendars to get a fresh start, but just for the record: The last few days have been heavy on the red! :oops:

Hopefully I'll do better with more focus.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi Kevin! Thanks for your reply. You make a lot of good points there.

I had a fairly good week actually, so things are much better now.
Kevin wrote:You are very tough on yourself.

Is it fair to require x hours of work? Maybe it would be better to make a list of discrete things you should do today - the more discrete the better - then check them off? The visual evidence of success is quite compelling. Reinhard says if it doesn't fit on a 3x5 index card, it's too much.
I tried to do that, but got discouraged by the lack of success. Thinking about it, I probably didn't break things down in small enough steps. I might try doing that later.

And requiring X hours of work does break down when I have to go and run errands and so on.

But going by time has some advantages, particularly if you tend to overestimate how much you can get done in a certain time. If I have four tasks on my to-do list, which I expect to take one hour each, and in reality each takes two hours and change--that's a problem right there.

I think for now I'll keep with the very modest half hour and just see how that works out next week.
Kevin wrote:
I face an awful lot of interactions with others by taking a deep breath, making eye contact, and asking them a question about the topic we are working on. (If you can fake sincerity, you've got it knocked. :)) That's a joke, but if you behave in ways that people are attracted to, it all sort of falls into place, no? Everyone likes to know you are interested in them. You will never fail in an interaction if you ask someone their opinion and absorb it.
This is no doubt right in principle, but I find it hard to put into practice. Which is kind of sad because I am actually genuinely interested in people and very curious.
Kevin wrote: You're right not to "push further on No-S", just make the three-a-day habit. Unless you are really obese, thinner is not the most important thing to be. Content and happy, and being healthy, are - and you can be those without being thin. Or even thinner.
As things stand I'm moderately overweight and slowly but continuously gaining. I'm not happy about that. But probably it's more of a symptom than the main problem.

Right now I'm just spending my half hour of minimum amount of working reading through a number of relevant self-help books. Just read a chapter about excessive perfectionism and...yeah, hits home rather deeply.
Right now I'm putting the whole issue of overeating on the backburner, but I'll come back to it.
Kevin wrote: Peace. There are no smiley icons in your posts, just angry and sad ones. Lighten up. :)
I seriously appreciate your post, which was very helpful, but please don't say stuff like that. If I could lighten up just by making an effort, believe me, I would. But unfortunately it's not always just that simple.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:05 pm

Things are generally looking up. 8)

Initially I thought my resolution was to modest to make a real difference, but apparently half an hour can make a lot of difference.

Well, why not? Even some things you could do in thirty seconds can give your life a new direction...

Been giving some thoughts to new resolutions.

I think Ill only add (at most) one resolution at the beginning of each month. I'll really have to keep my impatience under control for that, but no doubt it'll pay off in the long run.

Last Martian

Post by Last Martian » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Things are still going well, much better than I was hoping for, actually. :D Still some unpleasant stuff that needs taking care of, but I think I'm out of the woods.

However, I'll disappearing from here for a while. For my next step I want to reduce my online time since that's really the biggest time sink in my life. Regular online check-ins for that really don't make much sense. (Once I go online I tend to stay online for... a while.) :)

I'll still look by from time to time, so no goodbyes. Take care.