Murphysraven's new daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Murphysraven

Murphysraven's new daily check in

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm

I haven't been doing the daily check in's for a while but I am rededicated to NoS.

Monday was a Success

I am going to do my absolute best to post to my check in without fail till the new year, and then move to the web based habitcal
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Tuesday I am taking as an EXEMPT day. There was my company's christmas party and I did enjoy a piece of cake. Although dinner was 1 plate and a good majority of it was salad. :)

I did walk for a good 45 min at lunch though :)
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Wednesday = Success

both on nos and on walking at lunch

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Thursday = Success

Walked 40 min at lunch

I managed to resist the temptation to eat before dinner. Even though I had a decent lunch (beef soup, apple, handful of brown rice chips) I got really hungry around 4:30. I stuck it out until 6.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Friday = FAILURE

Went to a movie friday night an wasn't able to resist sharing popcorn with the hubby and friends. I did manage not to eat any candy so I guess that's something

Sat & Sun were Exempt

Sat I did snack on some pretzles
Sunday I didn't eat any sweets at all and only had 3 "meals" :)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Monday = SUCCESS for nos, didn't go walking though :(

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Tuesday = Success

although it's a tentative success since I had pop tarts for breakfast. Looking back those aren't the best choice, and they are packed with sugar. I think I will avoid them in the future.

I was proud of myself for not eating any candy. I had bought a bunch of candy to make candy trains, and while assembling I did not sneak a bite of anything!

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Wednesday = Success

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Thursday = Success

Friday = Failure (snacked)

Sat & sun exempt

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Monday and Tuesday were utter failures. I'm thinking this month was a bad idea to start a new eating plan. There are sweets at every turn at home and at the office. It doesn't help that I started my period on monday which usually leads to major sugar cravings. All I can do is take one days at a time and try to not eat every sweet passed under my nose.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:25 pm

I basically should mark most days red since last I posted. Too much crap getting shoved under my nose and not enough willpower to say no. It was stressing me out to obstain from trying a cookie (or 3) whenever they were passed around.

I am starting over come Jan. I am going to implement the Personal punchcard system this year along with some serious shovelglove and urban rangering. My goal is to take a monthly photo of progress and share it here. See you in the new year.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm

So the new year marks a new start for my noS dedication. It was too difficult to start making good habits with so much junk shoved under my nose at every turn.

The 1st was an exempt day

2nd = SUCCESS for both noS and Urban Ranger
3rd = SUCCESS for noS but FAIL for Urban Ranger

I am going to hold off on starting shovelglove until I can get my 21 days of habit on noS and Urban Rangering. I am going to start slow on building my habits this year so I don't get overwhelmed

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:59 pm

I was curious and stepped onto the scale this morning, I've lost 2.5 lbs. A nice way to start the day. :)

Like many people I've decided to start my S days on Friday after work, and stop them on sunday at dinner.

Friday was a SUCCESS I had a second portion of some potato rostis my husband made.

Sat and sunday were pretty much like N says, and I didn't really notice. I did have some waffles with real maple syrup on them sat morning. Sunday I ate a banana for breakfast, and then got so busy I didn't eat till dinner which was spagetti (although I did sleep in quite late that day)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Monday = SUCCESS

for both NoS and Urban Ranger

I didn't get as much done on my personal punchcards as I wanted but it was a busy evening cleaning and rearranging furnature (and building 2 new desks from Ikea)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Tuesday = SUCCESS for noS, Urban Ranger was only about 20 min at lunch though, but at least i did something.

I was pretty proud of myself for not snacking, dinner was a bit later then usual and my hubby offered me a piece of very yummy handcrafted bread to tide me over. I said i'll have it with dinner. :D

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Wednesday = tentitive success

I had yogurt for breakfast around 8, and then my apple at about 9 (would have fit on 1 "plate"

lunch and dinner was normal

UR was about 45 min

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Thursday = SUCCESS

I was able to not eat any of the cake brought in for office birthdays in Jan. I also resisted the urge to have seconds at dinner. :)

I Failed on UR though

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Friday = SUCCESS
I went for a short walk with my coworkers 14 week old lab puppy so i didn't get as long of a walk as i usually do.

Friday evening starts my S days (ending on Sunday at dinner)
I had a coke slurpee from 7-11 (haven't had one of those in ages!)

Sunday was my 2 yr old niece's birthday party. I indulged in some homemade cheesecake my hubby made and generally grazed during the party with no guilt, the rest of the day was pretty normal. Sunday I had lunch with my mom but I don't feel I overate even though we went to Olive Garden. I didn't finish my meal and that was OK. we even skipped desert.
Last edited by Murphysraven on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Monday was a SUCCESS

for both NoS and UR

MY hubby had to work late, he's normally the one who cooks dinner, since I was on my own for dinner I procrastinated eating until about 7:30. I was very very tempted to order pizza or go get a burger, but I decided I would be firm with myself, and since I wasn't very hungry I had a light dinner of toast, a banana and string cheese.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 am

Well done on sticking to your plan with your hubby working late - those are always my worst fall over days!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Tuesday = SUCCESS
for both NoS and UR

It's getting easier to wait for dinner, even though I always want to eat right when I get home. Even when the munchie craving hits hard, I am able to tell myself I am eating soon and just go focus on something else. I am very proud of myself for how many successes I have managed so far. I've been an on again, off again No S'er many times, this time it really feels like it's sticking.

My main New Years Resolution was not to lose weight, but to just simply follow the plan of NoS and UR. By sticking to the plan, the weight will take care of itself and I won't be stressed when I don't seen the scale move as often or as fast as I want.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Murphysraven wrote:Tuesday = SUCCESS
for both NoS and UR

It's getting easier to wait for dinner, even though I always want to eat right when I get home. Even when the munchie craving hits hard, I am able to tell myself I am eating soon and just go focus on something else. I am very proud of myself for how many successes I have managed so far. I've been an on again, off again No S'er many times, this time it really feels like it's sticking.

My main New Years Resolution was not to lose weight, but to just simply follow the plan of NoS and UR. By sticking to the plan, the weight will take care of itself and I won't be stressed when I don't seen the scale move as often or as fast as I want.
You're resolution and the thinking behind it, Murphysraven, is 100% excellent and true. Go for the habits not the weight.
That will definitely go hand in hand.
Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Wednesday = SUCCESS

On NoS and UR

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 pm

It been 2 weeks since I rededicated myself to NoS (beginning of Jan) I'm proud to say I've managed to keep on track with Nos, I've only missed 2 days of UR. I haven't weighed myself since the first week but i had lost 2 lbs at last weight.

The diet portion is getting a lot easier to do. I am noticing that i have more stamana for my daily walks.

2 more weeks I'll be in the 21 day club and adding in shovelglove into the mix. I'm looking forward to it.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Thursday = SUCCESS for both NoS and UR

I weighed myself this morning, I have lost a total of 5lbs since I started in the beginning of Jan. :)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Friday - SUCCESS for NoS

but failure for UR

Sat & Sun Exempt

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Monday = SUCCESS for NoS
FAILURE for UR :( getting lax on walking at lunch time lately, need to be firm with myself on that

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Tuesday = SUCCESS for both NoS and UR

Dinner was had at Olive Garden, but I think I managed to virtual plate decently.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Wednesday = SUCCESSfor NoS and Failure for UR

I was a bit of a pig at lunch. Work ordered my fav pizza, and while I only had 1 plate, there was a little vertical stacking. I finished all three pieces because I'd feel guilty if I threw any of it away. But I ended up being quite full and lethargic afterwards.

I made the mistake of eating before my walk. Which my experience has confirmed that if I want to be successful with UR, I need to eat afterwards. I had a mini walk about a block down to the post office but I don't consider that a success.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Thursday = SUCCESS for both NoS and UR

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Fri = SUCCESS

Mon = EXEMPT

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Tue = FAILURE for both NoS and UR
Had icecream after dinner, was feeling pretty blue and said to hell with it, and had a bowl of ice cream

Wen (so far) So far so good, 2 meals and a good 45 min walk. tonight i am going to try 5 min of shovelglove to get a feel for the moves i plan on doing.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Wen = SUCCESS

Thur- Friday = FAILURE

Had a bad couple of days eating wise. Part due to not planning some meals to be filling enough. Another part being that time of the month.
I don't know what it is about a period that turns me into a eating machine with no willpower. although for the most part I really didn't eat as much as I would have before. half a candy bar satisfied just as much as a full one and i was able to put it down once i got the craving satisfied.

The weekend was a total free for all food wise. I am refocusing this week and making some plans for the next "bloodletting". (my hubby and I's code word for that time of the month, since it reflects my mood)

sorry for the TMI gentlemen.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Monday = SUCCESS

on Nos, UR and starting my shovelglove routine!

When I got home I noticed a package of Little Debbie brand sweets, one of my favorites (the peanut butter wafers dipped in chocolate) that my roommate had out. I found myself walking towards then about to break my plan when I stopped myself firmly saying I was not going to start of the week with a red mark! The craving passed in a moment and I was able to enjoy a wonderful dinner of orange ginger shrimp with rice.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Tue = SUCCESS

For NoS, UR and SG

Oh and I weighed myself out of curiosity and I have dropped another pound for a total of 6 since I restarted NoS in Jan.

I am now at 242.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Wednesday = triple SUCCESS

NoS
UR (45min)
SG (8 min)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Thursday = SUCCESS

NoS
UR (30min)
SG (9 min)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Friday = SUCCESS

NoS & UR

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Monday = SUCCESS

NoS
UR(45+ min)
SG (10 min!)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Tues = SUCCESS

NoS
UR (40 min)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Wednesday = SUCCESS

NoS
UR (45 min)

Failed on SG again though :(

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Thus = S day
Friday = Failure

I took friday off did not follow NoS, i think mostly due to Vday being on thursday.

The weekend wasn't bad in terms of snaking or sweets, but getting back on track this week. Too many slip ups recently

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:36 pm

I forgot to update last week. I fell of the wagon exercise wise but I think I did pretty ok NoS wise.

I weighted myself this morning out of curiosity to see how much I had gained back. I was suprised to see the weight at 241. Thats down 7 lbs since I started, and down 4 lbs since I last weighed myself (i had gained a little).

I do think even with falling off the wagon I've managed to build some good eating habits that prevent me from going crazy. a mini candy bar satisfies just as well as a full size one on the weekends, but for the most part I just don't think about sweets as much.

We had angel food cake for dessert on sunday. I was so full from dinner I decided to wait for dessert. I got so caught up doing other things I never ended up eating desert. And I'm ok with that. I took the leftover cut strawberries to work today to have as part of my lunch. I can forgo the cake and cool whip.

This week I am focusing on getting back on track with UR and SG, and recording my NoS. I may have formed a decent base for my eating habits, but it can always use stregthening.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Monday = SUCCESS

NoS
UR (25 min)
SG 7 min (working back up to 14)